Sign in to follow this  
Cheeky Monkey

Another deadline day disappointment?

We have such a bad history of making decent signings in the last couple of years.

Earnshaw was very last minute, and we lost out on David Cotterill on deadline day.

Maybe it is the Board who is suffocating the transfer activity and therefore potentially ruining this club?

.... and maybe its the fault of the previous manager who thought people like Etuhu were good players.

After all you can scarely say that we havent signed many players in last couple of years, its just that we''ve signed the wrong players and that is down to one person alone.

My floor manager does not spend £200000 on equipment without my say so......so the bad signings were not solely down to "one man". The Board restricts the money available.....and the Board ultimately decide who will sign.

It is a "collective" disaster over a period of time....by people who quite frankly don''t have a clue..........

You make me laugh. Just how many players that we might want are actually available? Now subtract the ones we cant afford. Now subtract the ones that dont want to play for a club of our stature. Deduct now the ones who dont want to live in Norfolk.Is any of that the boards fault? Look at the lengths that they went to to sign Primus. Cotterill. Howard, and many many more that didn''t happen IN SPITE of the hours and hours of work, the hundreds of miles travelled.No you must be right. The board are obviously doing their utmost to sqander the £20 a fortnight you cough up (plus a couple of quid on local rags to help formulate your opinions from the away reports) so that they can write off the 100''s of £k they have ploughed into the club - God forbid they actually get a return on any investment they make, greedy bastards eh? What does somebody who spends most of their free time (in most cases unpaid) working at/for the club know about football and the running of the club anyway? Daily contact with the players, coaching staff and financial reports cant hold a candle to us keyboard warriors when it comes to judgement on buying players and keeping the club viable. If it wasn''t for them know nuffins we''d be the biggest club in Europe by nowEngage brains boys and girls please........

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]You make me laugh. Just how many players that we might want are actually available? Now subtract the ones we cant afford. Now subtract the ones that dont want to play for a club of our stature. Deduct now the ones who dont want to live in Norfolk.

Is any of that the boards fault?

Look at the lengths that they went to to sign Primus. Cotterill. Howard, and many many more that didn''t happen IN SPITE of the hours and hours of work, the hundreds of miles travelled.

No you must be right. The board are obviously doing their utmost to sqander the £20 a fortnight you cough up (plus a couple of quid on local rags to help formulate your opinions from the away reports) so that they can write off the 100''s of £k they have ploughed into the club - God forbid they actually get a return on any investment they make, greedy bastards eh? What does somebody who spends most of their free time (in most cases unpaid) working at/for the club know about football and the running of the club anyway? Daily contact with the players, coaching staff and financial reports cant hold a candle to us keyboard warriors when it comes to judgement on buying players and keeping the club viable. If it wasn''t for them know nuffins we''d be the biggest club in Europe by now

Engage brains boys and girls please........
[/quote]

With the clever person that you are, why don''t you apply for the post of ''Cheap Executive?.......You''d get a clipboard, an office, unlimited mileage in your ''Protein Jumpedup'' and attend the UEA for an MBA and - also be official protector/deflector for the Stowmarket Two.... 

On matchdays, you can position yourself outside the club shop, and meet the forever moanin'' knownowt subservient fanatical follower''s with a: "I am a dialect! I am a dialect! Exfoliate! Exfoliate!" monotone speech fluctuatin'' modulation mediation spinny thingy voicebox - and answer pertinent questions - with an impertinent/irrelevent question type, answer, thingy, spinny type, thing. 

You''ll also get to sit on the NCFC board, appear to "be seen to be doing, be seen to be doing" and like constipation, '' jus'' goin'' through the motions'' - as you  picture pose on the official NCFC site, clutching (whilst wearing your Delia''s oven glove because it''s so damned Hot!) office telephone - and playing minesweeper, patience or pinball on your personal pooter, as you unfortunately have to communicate with us petulant ''know nuffins'' on how we shouldn''t have the audacity to question the unquestionables, on how they spend our meagre and pathetic £20 quids or, "good heavens!" for that matter, even query which way the club is ascending/descending and rapidly re-building almost everything, (bar the squad) as you, and the "Illustrious and Industrious" board - know bestest......Because, the NCFC board are totally devoid - and in no way responsible for anything negative or counter productive, as it''s always someone else''s fault.

I think that difficult job of C. Exec, would suit you down to the ground......that is, if you already haven''t got it? Or, are you that independant ''Fitbah'' journalist, Wack Ringworm - or even a club Director/employee perchance?

either ways, I eagerly await your reply,

retards, Mello ''the keyboard pacifist and unbeliever of hype'' Yello.

What do we know anyway, eh?

Excuse me, whilst I re-engage my walnut sized bwainnnn![:|]

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]You make me laugh. Just how many players that we might want are actually available? Now subtract the ones we cant afford. Now subtract the ones that dont want to play for a club of our stature. Deduct now the ones who dont want to live in Norfolk.Is any of that the boards fault? Look at the lengths that they went to to sign Primus. Cotterill. Howard, and many many more that didn''t happen IN SPITE of the hours and hours of work, the hundreds of miles travelled.No you must be right. The board are obviously doing their utmost to sqander the £20 a fortnight you cough up (plus a couple of quid on local rags to help formulate your opinions from the away reports) so that they can write off the 100''s of £k they have ploughed into the club - God forbid they actually get a return on any investment they make, greedy bastards eh? What does somebody who spends most of their free time (in most cases unpaid) working at/for the club know about football and the running of the club anyway? Daily contact with the players, coaching staff and financial reports cant hold a candle to us keyboard warriors when it comes to judgement on buying players and keeping the club viable. If it wasn''t for them know nuffins we''d be the biggest club in Europe by nowEngage brains boys and girls please........[/quote]well shall we just give up trying to sign players then, you have used every excuse under the sun.other clubs manage so should we. do not except failure under any circumstances.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

With the clever person that you are, why don''t you apply for the post of ''Cheap Executive?......

[/quote]Because if you learn to read before you rant you''ll see that its not me saying I could do any better, quite the contrary. The point was plainly made.The rest of your post I didn''t understand.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]well shall we just give up trying to sign players then, you have used every excuse under the sun.other clubs manage so should we. do not except failure under any circumstances.[/quote]There is a difference between excuses and reasons and at no point in my post did I suggest "give up trying to sign players". Again if you read my post you''ll see that I am defending the extraordinary efforts of everyone at the club who try to exactly that.Maybe the members of THIS board should raise a few hundred thousand and find a player - see how many future superstars you manage to bring in and keep happy over the next 12 monthsSo easy to slag people off when you have no idea whatsoever at the amount of work being done.Naive in the extreme.

Its not as if most of the targets haven''t been made public by their clubs.... its also public who we are up against.... the reasons for some of these players NOT coming to Carrow Road has also been amazingly transparent IMO........ stupidly so.I really dont see what anyone who isn''t a petulant idealist has to complain about.Perhaps subscribers to this thread would like to suggest what more could be done instead of merely slagging off those doing the real graft. You cannot belive the man hours that went into getting Stoke City to realease Luke Chadwick, in your wildest dreams you''ll never know I assure you. And what a bargain.....Would you have thrown the £750k at the deal? pay £1.75m for Vine? How would you feel upping the ticket prices to match those at Selhurst Park to pay for it? Imagine all those moans on the forums

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]well shall we just give up trying to sign players then, you have used every excuse under the sun.other clubs manage so should we. do not except failure under any circumstances.[/quote]There is a difference between excuses and reasons and at no point in my post did I suggest "give up trying to sign players". Again if you read my post you''ll see that I am defending the extraordinary efforts of everyone at the club who try to exactly that.Maybe the members of THIS board should raise a few hundred thousand and find a player - see how many future superstars you manage to bring in and keep happy over the next 12 monthsSo easy to slag people off when you have no idea whatsoever at the amount of work being done.Naive in the extreme.[/quote]and exactly how do you know the amount of work being done?exactly you don''t and you are not in a position to say.To say extraordinary efforts is  absolute rubbish, or if you mean selling mckenzie without securing a replacement is the total sum of there efforts.The only person being naive on this board is you for believing the PR spin that is dished out on a daily basis.Failure is not an option. or in your case maybe it is!SACK GRANT NOW

"You cannot belive the man hours that went into getting Stoke City to realease Luke Chadwick, in your wildest dreams you''ll never know I assure you. And what a bargain....."

I agree Chadwick was a bargain but he wanted to come here, which helped.

How do YOU know how many man-hours went into it - if you want to complain about ''unsubstantiated'' rumours and claims you can''t just make a bold sweeping statement like that without revealing your source and/or your position within the Club.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

With the clever person that you are, why don''t you apply for the post of ''Cheap Executive?......

[/quote]

Because if you learn to read before you rant you''ll see that its not me saying I could do any better, quite the contrary. The point was plainly made.

The rest of your post I didn''t understand.
[/quote]

I cannot read............but, I can rant.

Everybody who knows me on this board..........don''t understand my posts.....Hope that helps.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]
and exactly how do you know the amount of work being done?

[/quote]

I wonder.
[/quote]

I wander.

Attack Barclay- I wouldn''t bother if I were you. Every now and again I havea look at this message board, and the typical thread is something like:- Someone makes a mildly positive statement- One of 1st Wizard, Cluck, Ronbol or the other "revolutionaries" contradicts it, blaming it all on the board- Either the original poster or someone else who has a reasonably open mind points out that perhaps it''s not that simple- One of the revolutionary cadre reply that it is that simple, if Delia and Co would make way for a mythical investor with bottomless pockets we will be top of the Premiership- A bit of repetitive back and forth banter ignoring the original post- Someone will make a mild statement that one of the "sack the board" group take umbrage at, and insist that unless the insult is retracted they must be right in their point of view (never followed the logic of this)- Eventually after more back and forward arguing that no insult was intended, the insultee is wounded to the core, but will continue in their heroic stance until "Milanovich" comes over the hill on a white charger... the "insulting" poster will say no offence was intended - Cluck et al will think they''ve won the argument while spectacularly managing to, once again, avoid answering the point- Thread withers away until the next timeHence why I''ve given up checking out this mesage board very often... gets boring after a while.If someone could explain who is likely to take over from the current board, and realistically, how, then that would be more interesting.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mello Yello"]I am a Buffoon........and sure as damn, "proud of it!"[/quote]

Game set and match.
[/quote]

Yeah, whatever.........

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mello Yello"]I am a Buffoon........and sure as damn, "proud of it!"[/quote]

Game set and match.
[/quote]

Nope.....Checkmate to Mello I believe!..........[B]

[quote user="EastMidlandsCanary"]Attack Barclay- I wouldn''t bother if I were you. Every now and again I havea look at this message board, and the typical thread is something like:

- Someone makes a mildly positive statement
- One of 1st Wizard, Cluck, Ronbol or the other "revolutionaries" contradicts it, blaming it all on the board
- Either the original poster or someone else who has a reasonably open mind points out that perhaps it''s not that simple
- One of the revolutionary cadre reply that it is that simple, if Delia and Co would make way for a mythical investor with bottomless pockets we will be top of the Premiership
- A bit of repetitive back and forth banter ignoring the original post
- Someone will make a mild statement that one of the "sack the board" group take umbrage at, and insist that unless the insult is retracted they must be right in their point of view (never followed the logic of this)
- Eventually after more back and forward arguing that no insult was intended, the insultee is wounded to the core, but will continue in their heroic stance until "Milanovich" comes over the hill on a white charger... the "insulting" poster will say no offence was intended
- Cluck et al will think they''ve won the argument while spectacularly managing to, once again, avoid answering the point
- Thread withers away until the next time

Hence why I''ve given up checking out this mesage board very often... gets boring after a while.

If someone could explain who is likely to take over from the current board, and realistically, how, then that would be more interesting.
[/quote]

Well, let''s just see what happens in the coming months, eh..........Let Archant close down this forum till May, because I do concur that it is becoming quite tedious. But, before they do, you propose to Barclay attack - and live happily ever after in Delia La La Land. I''ll link up with the rest of the Misery Guts who haven''t got a good word to say about the club - and we''ll live in a commune in Morrisons Morbid car park and, occasionaly meander over to the ground most days - and have a token rant and protest outside reception.........and come this May and whether it''s success or relegation, we can all return in the close season and say "We told you so!"......  

[quote user="jetstream"]

How do YOU know how many man-hours went into it - if you want to complain about ''unsubstantiated'' rumours and claims you can''t just make a bold sweeping statement like that without revealing your source and/or your position within the Club.[/quote]Are you really that ''green'' (pun intended) that you cant answer that for youself? Console yourself that I''m a real chancer that knows nothing. EastMidlandsCanary - you restore my faith in our education system single handedly. Rest assured that the board will do EVERYTHING in its (obviously minimal) power to deter any player who might be of ANY benefit to the club in terms of PERFORMANCE or INVESTMENT (because believe it or not thats what players are considered to be) from signing the pittance of a contract we might offer. God forbid (on the other hand) we be accused of paying over the odds to the likes of Andy Hughes and Peter Thorne, prudence when it suits the fans, reckless indulgence when it suits the (we''ll be here long after you''re gone) faithfull eh? Never mind that the best possbile facilities are provided at the lowest POSSIBLE prices to the ''fans''. Dismiss the trivia concerning things like running a business (for thats what it is, whether you like it or not), balancing books and satisfying shareholders.... many of who are NOT week in week out supportersI''ve got better things to do. But really you demoralise me to the nth degree. And when that passion is driven out, or the bottom of the fiscal reach is achieved..... enjoy the drive along the A47 my friends.

"You cannot belive the man hours that went into getting Stoke City to realease Luke Chadwick, in your wildest dreams you''ll never know I assure you. And what a bargain....."

Thanks Neil for the comments....

AB - you make me laugh boyo. Don''t tell me that NCFC have got into blog marketing. How 21st century. Spinning through false identities. Wiffs of desperation.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]You make me laugh. Just how many players that we might want are actually available? Now subtract the ones we cant afford. Now subtract the ones that dont want to play for a club of our stature. Deduct now the ones who dont want to live in Norfolk.

Is any of that the boards fault?

Look at the lengths that they went to to sign Primus. Cotterill. Howard, and many many more that didn''t happen IN SPITE of the hours and hours of work, the hundreds of miles travelled.

No you must be right. The board are obviously doing their utmost to sqander the £20 a fortnight you cough up (plus a couple of quid on local rags to help formulate your opinions from the away reports) so that they can write off the 100''s of £k they have ploughed into the club - God forbid they actually get a return on any investment they make, greedy bastards eh? What does somebody who spends most of their free time (in most cases unpaid) working at/for the club know about football and the running of the club anyway? Daily contact with the players, coaching staff and financial reports cant hold a candle to us keyboard warriors when it comes to judgement on buying players and keeping the club viable. If it wasn''t for them know nuffins we''d be the biggest club in Europe by now

Engage brains boys and girls please........
[/quote]

I think I have engaged my brain into memory mode and although it''s a bit hazy I remember Roger Munby telling us last summer that the manager tells the board the players he has targeted and they try and do the deal. But despite what you say I don''t believe they tried very hard. While my brain is still engaged I remember Neil Doncaster saying that Norwich City would not be left behind in the race to snap up summer signings saying: “We do need more players, we have a budget to spend and we will deliver those players.”

Nigel Worthington hit the nail squarely on the head when he said “We have to be proactive rather than reactive. We signed Dean Ashton in January instead of pre-season and I think the lesson should have been learned from that."

So in answer to your question : Yes some of it is the boards fault. Since the transfer window system started our whole transfer policy has been reactive. And the lessons of past mistakes don''t appear to have been learned at boardroom level.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So in answer to your question : Yes some of it is the boards fault. Since the transfer window system started our whole transfer policy has been reactive. And the lessons of past mistakes don''t appear to have been learned at boardroom level.

[/quote]So taking the failed signing of Cotteril as an example, what do you think the staff at Carrow Road could have done differently, which will be interesting when you clearly have no idea what the club DID do........Ashton was looked at in pre season, but Crewe / Ashton / Ashtons agent were awaiting bids from Liverpool and Tottenham. A huge amount of time was being spent addressing the Primus debacle as well as a couple of loans that proved to be quite succesful, one of which turned into a permanent transfer, one returned and the third, although bis for, decided to stay where he was and fight for his place.That. as they say, is history.And no, I am not Neil Doncaster. Another ''assumption''

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Totally agree.

Well of course its ''reactive''...LOL ........ One transfer at Norwich City may depend on 10 other transfers being agreed first.Ever bought a house? Same thing, a chain develops. Its very rare an approach for a player is as simplistic as you would like. Everybody wants to cover their behinds before pen is put to paper, fail to do that and you find yourself starting a season in the Premiership without striker and a centre half...... Sound familiar?So you cant have it both ways......

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

So taking the failed signing of Cotteril as an example, what do you think the staff at Carrow Road could have done differently, which will be interesting when you clearly have no idea what the club DID do........

Ashton was looked at in pre season, but Crewe / Ashton / Ashtons agent were awaiting bids from Liverpool and Tottenham. A huge amount of time was being spent addressing the Primus debacle as well as a couple of loans that proved to be quite succesful, one of which turned into a permanent transfer, one returned and the third, although bis for, decided to stay where he was and fight for his place.

That. as they say, is history.

And no, I am not Neil Doncaster. Another ''assumption''
[/quote]

I have no idea whether you are right or not though Neil Doncaster did go into some detail about the Cotterill chase and that was a challenging exercise.  I don''t know whether you are our esteemed Chief Executive since you would hardly admit it if you were. However, I know that deals are seldom straight forward.  It can take 10 seconds to agree a deal and months to resolve the legals.  That is how I make a living.

With any transfer,  there has first to be an agreement that the club will release the player.  Then there has to a fee agreed between the clubs and finally, a contract has to be agreed with the player.  All that before the agent''s fees are sorted.  It is a big deal now in every sense.

I do sometimes feel that posters here regard transfers as a step up from swapping Pannini stickers in the playground.  "I''ll give you £750,000 for Pearson...Ok, we''ll send him round tomorrow and you put a cheque in the post".  Perhaps it was like that once.  I don''t know but it is not anymore.  Players are money conscious but also career conscious.  Players have always made bad moves but now they want deals where they can get out of it.  Contracts are complex.

I have seen good business deals unravel over small points or because someone had a better offer at the last minute.  I have seen deals take months.  At the moment, a client is pulling together a takeover that has been planned for a year.   So, what you say about Chadwick, Primus and Ashton is perfectly credible.  I don''t think Norwich is the dead end club some posters here claim and we can aspire to quality signings.

I also understand caution. We have very limited funds and so, a signing has to be right. 

I have no doubt that everyone at City is working hard and is very busy.  It is not the only test.

As Dr Johnson said " It is not enough to be busy, the question is, what are you busy about".  There may have been a lot of hard work put into Primus but why?

Your underlying point is a good one.  We do need to understand the practical issues whilst continuing to pressure the club to pursue excellence at every opportunity.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

So taking the failed signing of Cotteril as an example, what do you think the staff at Carrow Road could have done differently, which will be interesting when you clearly have no idea what the club DID do........

Ashton was looked at in pre season, but Crewe / Ashton / Ashtons agent were awaiting bids from Liverpool and Tottenham. A huge amount of time was being spent addressing the Primus debacle as well as a couple of loans that proved to be quite succesful, one of which turned into a permanent transfer, one returned and the third, although bis for, decided to stay where he was and fight for his place.

That. as they say, is history.

And no, I am not Neil Doncaster. Another ''assumption''
[/quote]

No way are you Neil Doncaster, he may have many faults but being condescending isn''t one of them.

Yes of course if you take the failed signing of Cotteril as an example any fool can see the amount of effort Doncaster put into trying to get him here. It was all in his newspaper column! However, if we identified a player we were prepared to pay that amount of money for why didn''t we try and sign him a little bit earlier.

I am not a poster who looks for reasons to criticise the club but our transfer policy of recent seasons has been poor and whatever spin you put on it can''t hide the facts.

If you believe a huge amount of time spent on trying to get Primus here is an excuse for not getting Ashton here when Worthy wanted him then you must also believe that the club wanted Primus above Ashton.

Nigel Worthington himself said last summer that the Board needed to be proactive rather than reactive and they hadn''t learned the lessons of not signing Ashton earlier. How is it you know more than he does?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]Well of course its ''reactive''...LOL ........ One transfer at Norwich City may depend on 10 other transfers being agreed first.

Ever bought a house? Same thing, a chain develops. Its very rare an approach for a player is as simplistic as you would like. Everybody wants to cover their behinds before pen is put to paper, fail to do that and you find yourself starting a season in the Premiership without striker and a centre half...... Sound familiar?

So you cant have it both ways......

[/quote]

How about installing a proper scouting symstem (as of old) where these promising yougsters can be picked up "on the rise"....rather than waiting until they reach optimum market value before making a move. We can compete with the big money boys....so a bit of astute business early on might give us a head start.

Too many excuses coming out of CR these days eminating from lazy staff and short sighted policies. Get off your  arses and earn your money.............

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]and exactly how do you know the amount of work being done?

[/quote]I wonder.[/quote]Me to, because every now and then we get a clown on here claiming to be in the know.what utter rubbish.