Sign in to follow this  
Regime Change

Uefa may make football more competitive

Apparently Uefa are considering taking action to curb rich benefactors investing huge amounts of money in football clubs.

I doubt Uefa have the power or influence to overcome the inevitable opposition of the Big Clubs but action is long overdue.  Imo Glazer and Abramovich have helped to turn the Premier League into one of the most predictable and boring leagues in Europe.

Eventually the affects of any Uefa action would filter through to clubs like Norwich.  Less money in the game would mean lower wage bills and transfer fees enabiling smaller clubs to bring in better players.

I guess we will just have to wait and see whether anything actually happens.

Where do you draw the line though?

For example are the withstricted in squad money injection or money to support the buisiness side of things? Because they are related. For example it the Glazers are making Man U big in the states because of the sporting buisiness they already have their. This surely means more coffers through merchandise sales and means in return that Man U get more proffit of which to choose to spend on players.

In some ways I see nothing wrong with this but I do have a problem with the owners treating the team as their own. I really do not know how Chelsea have put up with some of Abramovich''s actions. He had their badge re-designed, and has the Russian national anthem played before each home game! Not to mention if he fancies a new player he will buy them.

That sort of thing should be withstricted. Perhaps profit related? Ie you are aloud to donate up to %5 of you last years anual profits?

Who knows, it is a tough one but then there are so many difficult questions that need to be answered and soon or the game will go the same way of other British sports at the moment and become a farce.

I''m not sure what are Uefa are going to specifically look at, but imo opinion they definately need to do something.

I think they need to look at clubs who have rich Chairman who throw money at the club for players they could not otherwise afford (i.e. Shevchenko).  Imo this is helping to inflate transfer fees and player wages, and clubs subseqeuntly increase ticket prices.  A ticket for an Arsenal match at Emirates can cost about £60!  This is preventing some supporters from going to matches, and at some point this phenomenon is going to threaten the existence of the game at grass roots level.

An obvious choice would be a salary cap.  In Rugby League this has helped to control transfer fees and has encouraged clubs to developed their own players.

[quote user="Sherlock Holmes"]

Apparently Uefa are considering taking action to curb rich benefactors investing huge amounts of money in football clubs.

I doubt Uefa have the power or influence to overcome the inevitable opposition of the Big Clubs but action is long overdue.  Imo Glazer and Abramovich have helped to turn the Premier League into one of the most predictable and boring leagues in Europe.

Eventually the affects of any Uefa action would filter through to clubs like Norwich.  Less money in the game would mean lower wage bills and transfer fees enabiling smaller clubs to bring in better players.

I guess we will just have to wait and see whether anything actually happens.

[/quote]

No chance !   check out the  F.A.  bung  " enquiry "   , where lord tosspot   gripped hold of  the better part of a £M   for coming out with  ......... f..k all ,  a complete white wash !   oh he DID admonish  the FA  for being ever so slightly " inefficient " with regard to  agents  , but ... hey ho , we all make mistakes don`t we ?   and those prem clubs DID  put the mockers on  any evidence  concerning them  .........   yup !   corruption and big money  are alive and well  in the prem ...  the FA , FIFA,  EUFA  ..    makes you wonder why us in the Champ  are busting  our arses   to join them  ?    OMG  its the money !  [:''(]

I think a salary cap should come in anyway. If you consider what a club spends on its players outside of there wage anyway such as hotels, flights etc then you realise how much more they get than the normal joe on the street.

Less obviously I think a salary cap would also help the womens game in that they would no longer be chasing a never stopping shadow and have something to aspire to.

Ticket prices may not differ however - that tends to be linked to how much some people are prepared to pay to see their team, Chelsea is full of people from central London like Knightsbridge and I tell you what - they hardly make any noise at all most of the time!

I would start by dispersing the premiership TV money, by that I mean allow more of it to trickle down the leagues as I have mentioned in other posts/threads.

In the way of financial input - I think they should limit it to say £10million a season or something like %10 of the clubs financial profit from their buisinesses. That way the better the club performs as a buisiness the more their owner can throw in. It may sound a little unfair but it means that clubs like Man U are still not withstricted as much but are allowed to spend in proportion to what the earn. In this way you are also setting up a competative buisiness structure too.

They could possibly fine tune other things, but I do feel that football needs a formular 1 style overhaul to get it back to basics.

I am sure a couple of seasons ago they were talking about having so many players in the squad having to be home grown through the clubs accademy.

Legally, i think it would be a very difficult thing for them to do, so  i cant see anything major happening whatsoever.

A very good post this sherlock, I am now in my 40''s and can remember the press hammering the Scottish league because only 2 teams ever won it.

Now they are claiming the premier league as the best league in the world??

I don''t think so.