Sign in to follow this  
JayM

Football 365 article on Greeno

If you want something to make your blood boil then check out the piece by Pete Gill this morning on the Football 365 website.

Patronising rubbish. Makes you yearn to stay in the Nationwide League.

http://www.football365.com/opinion/f365_opinion/story_105363.shtml

A quick skim through the Football 365 website delivers some facts about "Pete Gill"

Here''s the url should anyone else decide to write a pompous letter to the 365 editor asking for Gill to be sent on a basic writing skills training course:

http://freeserve.football365.com/Home/credits.shtml

A further salient fact is that one of the Techie team seems to have binman tendencies which might explain why a naive Gill was led to write such mindless drivel...

I did too, and my article was published! Albeit that they cut the best bit out.

How bloody annoying!

Ditto...

"Ever heard of Robert Green?"

Fortunately for England, Ray Clemence and Martin Thomas (England''s goalkeeping coaches), and Ken Brown (top FA scout) have. God help the national team if Pete Gill was put in a position of any power/relevance...

Along with Paul Robinson and Chris Kirkland, Green is the future of England goalkeeping. With views like Gill''s, is it any wonder Seaman played in the national side for far longer than he should have? We need to encourage the future stars of our country, and Green certainly is one of them.

Just goes to highlight what we all already knew about journalists. They don''t look further than the premier league.

If he had seen greeno he would know.....as we all do.....that he is superb I''m confident he will be the England Goalkeeper at World Cup 2006. I just hope he is still guarding a premiership onion bag at Carrow Road.

make sure the tw&t (twit) doesn''t get a press pass next year Mr Doncaster.

"Hi Im Peter Gill here to report on Norwich v Man U"

"Er no sorry mate never heard of you there is a division one game on 40 miles south if you like but your''e names not down your''e not coming in here"

Come on then, lets here them. This was my offering:

Dear Sir,

Whilst I appreciate an Editors need for controversial columnists, I would suggest that Pete Gill''s contribution to your website has degraded its quality and lowered my estimations of your journalism.

You website claims to present information concerning football as a whole and yet this particular article is so short sighted it cannot see past the Premier League. If your reporter had any nous, he would be aware that Robert Green is widely regarded as the best English keeper in Division One, and, although untested, The Premiership. For example, only this week several Division One managers have said Green should deservedly be given a chance to play for England, including Joe Royle (manager of Ipswich Town, our fierce rivals - I wouldn''t want to teach grandma how to suck eggs, but after reading this article I don''t think that I am). I can only speculate that they are in a better position to judge Green''s staying power and it is unlikely they would ever suggest something as clearly ill-informed as "And, in all probability, for some of them it will be their last."

I found the article offensive, both on behalf of Robert Green and the good people of Norfolk. Whilst the article clearly states that it is subjective, I hope you will consider employing someone with less narrow and crass opinions in the future.

Yours,

George Wyndham

This was mine -

So, Pete Gill thinks that only a handful of people that live in Norfolk have heard of Robert Green. Well this just about sums up what life one kick away from the premiership is like (yes, we lost the 2002 final to Brum). We have been consistently in the top six for three seasons yet, during these 3 years the first division has apparently only contained Portsmouth, Leicester, Man City, West Ham and Sunderland. How very sad. You don''t think we could take apart most of the bottom half of your "Premiership"?

It''s not so much the embarrassingly inadequate knowledge of English football that grates (not just from Pete Gill but from all the Hammers that thought they would cruise striaght back up), more the way Robert Green is then written off like no other player has ever come good from the lower leagues. Anyway, I don''t care because it means when all the other "top-flight" goalkeepers are throwing the ball into their own net, we''ll still have the best keeper in the land and no-one will ever find out.

So thanks for that.

Mook, Norfolk.

And mine

Dear Sir.

I start this email with a question: why do you employ Peter Gill? This is a man who could not recite the name of the goalkeeper who has played in every game for the Nationwide Division One league leaders, the goalkeeper who has conceded the fewest in that division. That is until the player was (deservedly) called up into the England squad. He then proceeds to flippantly and ignorantly state that the only people that have heard of Robert Green live in Norfolk. Was it a light-hearted, facetious remark, or was it a lazy introduction into a piece of ''comedy journalism''. Either way, this cannot be something that you are proud to have displayed on your website.

Despite not being able to construct a sentence properly (try and?), Gill also leaves out chunks of information that do not support his arguments (Francis Jeffers scored the goal in the 3-1 defeat against Australia).

Please try to guard against this lethargic, predictable and messy writing style in future.

Daniel Thompson

I just said "ignorant w****r". OK it''s not Shakespeare but I''m a bit busy!

How about a new chant on Saturday " Pete Gill - your having a laugh" or " journalist your having a laugh " or maybe " who the fuck is Pete Gill"

I''m sure you can all come up with some better ones - any suggestions?

Here''s my submission sent to Little Pete yesterday:

As a Norwich fan reading your "incisive" three-paragraph standfirst, my initial reaction was: "what a load of 6th-form drivel"
It''s exactly this sort of low-grade, lazy stereotyping that confirms why you''re clearly not good (or insightful) enough to be a proper writer for a proper newspaper.
I''d recommend an NCTJ journalism course for starters.

I think making up a Pete Gill chant would be showing too much respect Scotty, rather that we just rip into him for being poor at his job - as he so obviously is.

My e-mail said........

Pete,

Had you ever heard of Robert Green? Has Robert Green ever heard of you? I certainly hadn''t, although to be fair you have probably never heard of me.

But then again neither you or I are the best keeper in Division one, play in front of 24,000 people every other week, will be voted into the Division One team of the year and hopefully will be playing in the Premiership next year.

If you think only a handful of people in Norfolk know who he is you are sadly mistaken. Ask Gerry Taggart and all the Stoke fans if they know who he is after his wonder save last week, or Geoff Horsefield and the Birmingham fans afetr an equally great save in the Play-Off Final, or any fan of any club in Division One who recognise that he is part of the team at the top of the league with the best defensive record.

I think your next article should be a review of the current England goalkeeping contenders. I will help you out with some words for you....

David James - prone to disaster but England''s number one.

Paul Robinson - Young, good prospect, part of one of the worst defences in the league and likely to be relegated in about 6 weeks.

Ian Walker - Has not played for England for 7 years, in his mid 30''s, had a fight with a fan, threw one in his own net and was sent off for picking the ball up 20 yards outside his box.

Chris Kirkland - Cannot play more than 2 game in a row. Has only palyed 60 odd games of first team football in his career.

Robert Green - Untested at the highest level. Regarded as the best keeper in Division One. Only 24. Has played 150 first team games including over 100 in a row.

Shaka Hislop - Now we are just being ridiculous.

I can''t think of anymore!

What happens when/if Leeds and Leicester are relegated next year and Norwich are promoted.

I think you should watch some more Nationwide Football - just like hundreds of thousands of people do every week.

I think you are getting the point.

Yours sincerely

Neil