Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Carl Robinson and Neil Adams Comments

So Neil Adams says he is "disappointed" by the treatment Carl Robinson gets.

My opinion is this, I dont like to see any Norwich player Chastised or Harangued, however i expect to see a player sho a bit of conviction, show that he wants to play for the Club and show that he has something about him.

Carl Robinson has been released on a free by such Football Super Powers as Wolves and Wrexham.. for a man not even 30 to have played for including loans, i will admit) a dozen football clubs, and for Norwich to be the only side to pay a fee for him, is an indication that Carl Robinson is not considered to be a good player by 11 other managers.

Can they all be wrong?

The basics of football involve being able to pass the ball to someone wearing the same colours of you, to run and harry and chase, and to be willing to make a difference.. i see non of these qualities in Carl Robinson.

Whilst i would like to see him being applauded off after a great performance, rather than heckling cheers after a poor one. There must be a time where he looks at himself and asks "am i good enough?" the answer.. quite simply.. is NO!

when it comes to the Crunch is Carl Robisnon the sort of player with the guts and determination for a relegation fight? is he the sort of player that would shine in the Premiership.. or is he the sort of player that belongs on the free transfer listy.. spending a season here and a season there.. because he just cant cut it?

Release him on a free and wish him well...

jas :)

cant believe adams said fans were wrong to have a go at robinson today! what does he expect when week after week the guy performs so poorly? why cant we criticise? they say we should cheer when things go well so surely when things are poor we are entitled to criticise! [:@]

It''s a "Chicken or the egg?" situation. Robinson gets booed because he plays poorly, or he plays poorly because he gets booed? Is Neil Adams the only person in the ground who doesn''t know which came first?????

Whilst I am not Robinsons greatest fan I do think we need to look at our midfield. Basically I feel that we are playing 4 - 2 - 4 which means that any team that plays 4 or 5 in midfield will completely over run our midfield leaving Robinson and Etuhu ( or whoever is playing there ) to cover the spaces that are left.

You have a very good point, your observation is nothing new and must surely by something recognised by the manager.I dont see that he has many options at the moment,Huks is not the man he was,he now neither defends or offers the same threat with ball at feet up front.I think the managers attempts to get him to defend more has affected his whole game.

He is a great player but maybe a bit of a luxuiry at the moment with the way we are playing.

Grant is coming up against the same problems that Worthy had, the only difference is that Worthy created them.

From where I was sitting it was not just Robbo getting sitck but also Dickson.

If Dickson had gone off the crowd reaction would have been exactly the same, it was more about celebrating Saff coming on than booing someone off. I am right or is Neal Adams.

Safri did more tackles and forward  passes in 5 minutes when he came on than robinson did all match. Yes they had 10 players but Safri moved forward and helped Etuhu whenever he could and Etuhu got in the box. Last time i saw that was when we played against Cardiff.... wonder who played in the middle with him that day...

Granted robinson isn''t the best midfielder, but occasoinally he does do the little things that go unnoticed. Sure, he cant pass a ball 30 yards. All the good in my opinion, if he could he''d just be a hoofer!

He''s not great. But face it, neither are we as a team.

The problem is that the midfield is such a key area that with should dictate play with a high tempo. Robinson is asked to play that role and is obviously not good enough and it does become so hard to get excited whan he is playing instead of Safri. Don''t get me wrong Safri has been well off the pace himself but even when playing badly he can still create a tempo in the team. There was a caller on the phone in who described Robinson as a really creative player, hmmmmnn, me thinks we need to debate this a little further. With such a slow tempo from the two guys in the centre this leaved Hucks and Crofty redundant as when they finally recieve the ball there aren''t in dangerous positions and are often surrounded by 3 players.

With Robinson on the centre with Hughes or Etuhu, ask yourselves, how many games have we won. Right now I can''t think of one game we won with these pairings. The centre was the problem last season and defies belief that we should be discussing the same topic a year later. Worthy should take alot of the blame as these were his signings and the board must have seen this. I will give Grant a chance as he needs to mould some sort of team together and he has been left with an almighty task, but he has done himself  no favours with constantly playing a player like Robinson who consistantly underperforms over Safri

Robbo has never played played for Wrexham and he did make 40 appearances in Sunderlands Championship season. But I wouldn''t want any of the current midfield battling for me in a relegation fight and that certainly includes the very over rated Safri

[quote user="ridgeman"]Whilst I am not Robinsons greatest fan I do think we need to look at our midfield. Basically I feel that we are playing 4 - 2 - 4 which means that any team that plays 4 or 5 in midfield will completely over run our midfield leaving Robinson and Etuhu ( or whoever is playing there ) to cover the spaces that are left.[/quote]

At last somebody has spotted it, we are at best playing 4-3-3 may be as is suggested 4-2-4 The midfield 2 of Ethu and Robinson are always over run as is the left back whether it be Drury or Hughes. The man on the radio summed it up today "a lot of fans only see Hux running at the defence or Earnshaws goals. These players can do no wrong yet other get slated unfairly at times."

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

From where I was sitting it was not just Robbo getting sitck but also Dickson.

If Dickson had gone off the crowd reaction would have been exactly the same, it was more about celebrating Saff coming on than booing someone off. I am right or is Neal Adams.

[/quote]

Neil Adams was spot on! There was a massive cheer when Robinson ran off & then another when Saf came on. I can understand everyones frustration because I am frustrated too, but to treat Robbo this way is bang out of order!!!

I don''t think people jeer Robinson so much as they jeer Grant''s decision to play him continuously. Ironic cries of "Hallelujah" rang out near me, but that''s all for Grant. Like his predecessor, Grant seems to select teams based on who is keenest in training. I''ll bet Robinson''s out there with Hughes fighting over who can put the cones out for teacher. How many times have we heard about them training brilliantly all week and then not putting it into practice on Saturday? Is it perchance that the midfield playmaker knows that he won''t get a full-blooded tackle stuck on him in training so he''s a little braver, but when it comes to a match and the tackles come thick and fast, he can''t stand the heat and he hides?

i think adams missed the point.

the point was that we all wanted safri on the pitch, and it didnt matter who was taken off we would have cheered.

it was robinson but the way they were playing it could have been anyone.

[quote user="Canary02"]

Is it perchance that the midfield playmaker knows that he won''t get a full-blooded tackle stuck on him in training so he''s a little braver, but when it comes to a match and the tackles come thick and fast, he can''t stand the heat and he hides?

[/quote]

You''ve possibly nailed it on the head, we see it but why doesn''t PG see it? He should see it, he was a midfielder himself after all.

[quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Canary02"]

Is it perchance that the midfield playmaker knows that he won''t get a full-blooded tackle stuck on him in training so he''s a little braver, but when it comes to a match and the tackles come thick and fast, he can''t stand the heat and he hides?

[/quote]

You''ve possibly nailed it on the head, we see it but why doesn''t PG see it? He should see it, he was a midfielder himself after all.

[/quote]

This is what I can''t understand. I can''t believe that Grant can''t see how Robinson flatters to deceive. All of his previous managers have eventually come to the conclusion that he''s not worth a place. When will Peter Grant follow suit?

Id like to respond to the poor misguided, and perhaps quite blind,

caller during the phone in that the above referred to. This fool made

the following statement, or as close to as i can remember.

'''' Carl Robinson is fantastic, he''s so creative, he can put Earnshaw thru for a goal in an instant ''''

Never in my 30 years of football have i ever heard such an ironic,

incorrect summation of a player. I really think he must have been

getting confused with Safri. Never have i seen Robinson pass forward

and ''put Earnie thru for a goal''.

The criticism that he received yesterday was relevant, another

passenger performance from him. Constantly standing 5 yards off the

opposing midfielder, i really dont know what his thinking is on this

form of defending, fair enough he doesnt want to lunge in and get

skipped by, but at least get tight to your man like Safri does, Saf

gets tight and hassles, not necessarily tackling, just close quarters

attention. This forces mistakes and how often did Safri just nick the

ball away from the player. This is all thats needed from Robbo, and

indeed a midfield player. You dont have to make crunching tackles and

come away with the ball and then spray it 40 yards to Hucks for a

certain goal. Just get tight on your man, hassle him, force mistakes,

nick the ball away, and stop the midfielder with the ball ''playing''.

This is what Safri did, I didnt see one crunching tackle from him, but

what i did see was numerous nicks away and hassling the opposing

midfielder into giving the ball away. Tight to your man, close quarters

defensive midfield work. This is what we dont ever get from Robinson,

or Etuhu for that matter. Robinson prefers to sit 5 yards off his man

everytime, occasionally doing his sliding 15 yards thing which rarely

pays off.

Whilst im in the mood to slate Robbo and Etuhu, lets just analyse the

reason we are underperforming so badly. It is purely and simply Etuhu

and Robbo. The are the main men, forget Hucks, Earnie and the like, the

midfield two are the most important players on the pitch, they

determine how well we attack and how solid the defense is. They

determine how many attacks the opposition have and how many we have. I

dont get it with Etuhu, he was lookin like a poor mans Viera at the

start of the season, he was truly awesome and left a Gerrard type stamp

of authority on the midfield in every game i saw him. Look at him now,

a shadow of his former self. We have to find the reason why or get rid.

We know about Robbo, he''s just not good enough. He doesnt work hard

enough, has no vision or creativity, and no attacking sense at all.

Someone once labelled Didier Deschamps as a water carrier, Cantona or

Zidane or someone, and he was, but he was a great water carrier, he

would hassle, and break down the midfield opposition, either winning

the ball back himself or nicking it away for the creative players to go

and attack. This is all he did and he did it very well. As far as I can

see this is the type of player Robinson claims to be. He''s not got the

Beckham/Gerrard passing ability, he''s not a forward thinking box to box

player like Francis used to be, so all he can be is the water carrier

kind of player. This is typified by his 5 yard passes, always laying it

off to someone else to make the telling pass and never attempting it

himself. This type of player can be of great benefit to a team, Nicky

Butt does it very well indeed. As did David Batty in his heyday. But

for me he only does half the job of that type of player, he doesnt

work, he doesnt spoil, he doesnt hassle, he doesnt force mistakes. This

is the reason why the current midfield partnership doesnt work. Its

like playing Dublin and Doherty up front together.

Grant needs to realise this asap, Worthington never did. I think, or at

least hope Grant has. When he talks about changing things and getting

different types of players in, this encourages me cause it shows he is

thinking of different ways of playing.

The underlying theme here is the fact that the current midfield

partnership does not work simply because the players arent good enough

and are not doing the whole job asked of them. With Robbo there there''s

no bite, there''s no quick passes, quick thinking, which is essential to

the style of play we adopt, with the pace of Hucks, Croft and Earnie.

There wasted simply because Robbo doesnt have the football brain to

utilise them. Remember the Cardiff goal? i think it was, when Saf

hassled, robbed and then slipped Earnie thru for the goal? Have you

ever and do you think you will ever see Robbo do this?

In closing id also like to add that Robbo is not the worst player in

the world and not as bad as everyone makes out, he''s just not good

enough for the Championship, and he''s undermining the style of play we

should be playing.Get rid of him and Etuhu now, put two new midfielders in there, or at least someone to partner Safri and watch us go. This is all thats needed to save our season. Watch the defense keep clean sheets again with a midfield that drastically reduces the amount of attacks the opposition has and increase the attacks we have.

Hooray for this post - someone who sees it exactly as I do. Robinson is not good enough at the simple things, let alone the flash stuff. Ship him out, get someone in to partner Saf and leave Dickson on the bench.

Thank god for the odd sane fan!