Sign in to follow this  
Canary02

A positive post (hear me out)

A thought. On Saturday, with Robinson suspended and Saf back we''ll be pretty much up to full strength, sad though that is. For once we''ll be in the position of saying "There''s nothing more that Grant could really do". I think, in this dark, horrible time, we really need to get behind the team and give them an almighty push from the stands.

I''m as unhappy as anyone about the position we''re in, and I defend anybody who has moaned about the performances previously because things have been obviously wrong for all to see. However, when all said and done, when we reach the position where everything that can be done is being done, and Grant is fielding the best line up he can (and not keeping our best midifelder on the bench mysteriously) there is nothing to be gained by not getting behind the team fully. Complaints from the stand when obvious things like Safri on the bench are happening may possibly influence thinking (unlikely as it is) so there''s a point to voicing frustrations. But now, even the most cynical must see that there''s no point in kicking the team when they''re down. If we turn up as a crowd on Saturday still moaning about Southend and don''t help the lads then we''ll have to take a long hard look at ourselves after the game and ask whether we could have done more.

Some will say, justifiably, that some of those clowns need to earn our support rather than feel entitled to it, along with an overblown wage in return for their meagre fare. The fact remains that many of these overachievers will be gone within a few months or years, but we will remain, and the club is ours, not theirs. So if we have to pick the lazy sods up by the scruff of their necks and drag them to three points I think we need to do it, at least while fate gives us the chance to play our best side.

It is not just a case of being up to full strength it is also about seeing Grant persevering with players like Thorne, Fleming and McVeigh on the bench week in, week out.  We need to start seeing the likes of the Jarvis brothers, Spillane, and possibly Henderson and Eagle on the bench, or God forbid actually starting a game. Just like Worthy before him Grant is putting his faith in senior pros who are either, not capable of improving, past it, or not interested in playing when given the chance.

At the end of the day there is only so many times that 25,000 can turn up and do their bit, only to see the same response from the players, manager and coaching staff.  In the end you find yourself questioning whether you really want to make that 3 - 4 hour round journey knowing that your efforts are in vain. 

I think its just a time to get on with life until the Board have sorted things out which I am sure they will do.

I shall go for a walk on the marshes at Blakney on Saturday and tune into Radio Norfolk at 5 pm to see what happened. If I could be allowed to pass my season ticket on to a friend I would do, and so I suspect would my wife and son but for a while I will enjoy myself in other ways. Might even go and watch rugby one Saturday where you used to be able to have a pint and watch the game. I wonder if that is still the case.

I suspect that with all his shouting and waving Grant has lost the respect of the players and as it is doubtful that he will regain that respect the Board would do best to follow the Charleton path they have claimed, in the past, to admire so much and get rid. Maybe this time they could select a man with true and proven management skills. I would be awful if they made the same mistake as Robert Chase 

I can''t really argue with the sentiments in your post Canary02....but everyone is an individual and we all have our limits as to what we are prepared to  tolerate.

Like most people on here....NCFC is only a small part of our life''s game plan.  When things at the club are as bad as they are at the moment...we all tend to look at other priorities....and better uses for the money we pay to watch this shower of s**t on matchdays. We have families and liabilities and if the passion fades at the club....then much of our passion goes with it.

We all want something much better...but it seems that those in charge are happy to play their own games. It is their prerogative as ''owners'' (I''m avoiding the spiritual aspect).......and until they start showing some guts and determination...they can get on with it. NCFC will still be there in some shape or form long after they have scuttled off....and for me that will be the time to get back on board.

It''s the club I love...not the people who are currently playing games with it. Give us back our identity and show us some genuine ambition....and all of the unrest on here would evaporate. They don''t warrant our undivided loyalty at present I''m afraid....

[quote user="silver fox"]

It is not just a case of being up to full strength it is also about seeing Grant persevering with players like Thorne, Fleming and McVeigh on the bench week in, week out.  We need to start seeing the likes of the Jarvis brothers, Spillane, and possibly Henderson and Eagle on the bench, or God forbid actually starting a game. Just like Worthy before him Grant is putting his faith in senior pros who are either, not capable of improving, past it, or not interested in playing when given the chance.[/quote]

I can''t agree, fox. The difference between Grant & Worthington is that Grant has actually been watching the youngsters play - travelling to away games for Youth and Reserve teams - they''re being judged on performances. Look at Tuesday''s bench - Ryan Jarvis just hasn''t looked good enough to replace Thorne, Henderson is still coming back from injury, central midfield was covered by Safri (want to drop him completely?), McVeigh can play on both wings unlike Eagle and we drafted Fleming in as defensive cover once Drury was injured in the warm-up, probably because he was the only one available at such short notice.

Eagle has been given chances to impress and will doubtless get more, but I wouldn''t throw Spillane, or Rossi into our dodgy midfield, or defence, to get slaughtered week-in week-out. You need a more settled/confident team if you want to bring them on, or you risk ruining their potential. I agree it is frustrating, but they just aren''t quite ready yet.

[quote user="Cluck"]

I can''t really argue with the sentiments in your post Canary02....but everyone is an individual and we all have our limits as to what we are prepared to  tolerate.

Like most people on here....NCFC is only a small part of our life''s game plan.  When things at the club are as bad as they are at the moment...we all tend to look at other priorities....and better uses for the money we pay to watch this shower of s**t on matchdays. We have families and liabilities and if the passion fades at the club....then much of our passion goes with it.

We all want something much better...but it seems that those in charge are happy to play their own games. It is their prerogative as ''owners'' (I''m avoiding the spiritual aspect).......and until they start showing some guts and determination...they can get on with it. NCFC will still be there in some shape or form long after they have scuttled off....and for me that will be the time to get back on board.

It''s the club I love...not the people who are currently playing games with it. Give us back our identity and show us some genuine ambition....and all of the unrest on here would evaporate. They don''t warrant our undivided loyalty at present I''m afraid....

[/quote]

I''m not against those who no-show because they''d rather be doing something else because in the current climate they have every right to. I just think that negativity at this match will count for nothing. The board may or may not prove themselves in January, but if they are on their last chance for some people, they''re still unable to do anything before Saturday, so there''s little point complaining about them. The manager, through suspension albeit, has selected his best possible team, so there''s little point complaining about him. And if the team is the best we can muster (and by common consent on this board it seems it will be roughly) then there''s little point complaining about them. I just think we need to drag them kicking and screaming because if they won''t fight for our club, we have to. I''m as dispirited as anyone but whilst I don''t have £10m to invest, I do have a pair of lungs and a set of vocal chords. It may not be much, but if it can help in any way then it needs to be done. I don''t want us relegated, whatever the rights or wrongs.

[quote user="Canary02"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

I''m not against those who no-show because they''d rather be doing something else because in the current climate they have every right to. I just think that negativity at this match will count for nothing. The board may or may not prove themselves in January, but if they are on their last chance for some people, they''re still unable to do anything before Saturday, so there''s little point complaining about them. The manager, through suspension albeit, has selected his best possible team, so there''s little point complaining about him. And if the team is the best we can muster (and by common consent on this board it seems it will be roughly) then there''s little point complaining about them. I just think we need to drag them kicking and screaming because if they won''t fight for our club, we have to. I''m as dispirited as anyone but whilst I don''t have £10m to invest, I do have a pair of lungs and a set of vocal chords. It may not be much, but if it can help in any way then it needs to be done. I don''t want us relegated, whatever the rights or wrongs.

[/quote]

I agree totally when it comes to the players we currently have. On the whole they are playing to their limit...which is ordinary at best....and downright shameful at worst. Jeering and booing can''t help....but after so many dire games...it''s going to happen and the players get the public show of discontentent from the paying supporters. It is ultimately their fault this is happening though....and if they were worth their salt they would try much harder to prove the dissenters wrong.....but they don''t. Any negativity can only be halted by guts and effort on the pitch....and I think all of us would accept defeat with dignity....but regular capitulation is a disgrace.

I don''t agree with giving DS and Co an easy ride though. If there were no complaints or signs of dissatisfaction from the fans....nothing would ever be done....or the very minimum at best. This is why they have got away with it so long...with so many of ''us'' staying loyal and unquestioning of their tenure. They need a damn good shake up before January to make them realise that prudence is not the way forward for the team on the pitch....and that we as fans have had enough. We could forgive the debt and fancy restaurant if we had a decent team to watch...but that isn''t the case. They MUST learn that....and fast.

If DS and Co do the stuff in January....and Grant proves he is not a complete dillock by bringing in some quality players.....all will be forgiven.....even if it is 10 years too late. Ultimately it''s not about people....it''s about the club and it''s time NCFC came first.

[quote user="Fat Barman"][quote user="silver fox"]

It is not just a case of being up to full strength it is also about seeing Grant persevering with players like Thorne, Fleming and McVeigh on the bench week in, week out.  We need to start seeing the likes of the Jarvis brothers, Spillane, and possibly Henderson and Eagle on the bench, or God forbid actually starting a game. Just like Worthy before him Grant is putting his faith in senior pros who are either, not capable of improving, past it, or not interested in playing when given the chance.[/quote]

I can''t agree, fox. The difference between Grant & Worthington is that Grant has actually been watching the youngsters play - travelling to away games for Youth and Reserve teams - they''re being judged on performances. Look at Tuesday''s bench - Ryan Jarvis just hasn''t looked good enough to replace Thorne, Henderson is still coming back from injury, central midfield was covered by Safri (want to drop him completely?), McVeigh can play on both wings unlike Eagle and we drafted Fleming in as defensive cover once Drury was injured in the warm-up, probably because he was the only one available at such short notice.

Eagle has been given chances to impress and will doubtless get more, but I wouldn''t throw Spillane, or Rossi into our dodgy midfield, or defence, to get slaughtered week-in week-out. You need a more settled/confident team if you want to bring them on, or you risk ruining their potential. I agree it is frustrating, but they just aren''t quite ready yet.

[/quote]  If you wait for a more settled/confident team with the current set of players then you will have a long wait.  How can you say they aren''t ready yet when they haven''t even been given a chance?  How can you say they will get slaughtered week in week out? What these youngsters lack in experience they more than make up for with energy and enthusiasm, not to mention a certain amount of skill.  No I don''t see them play every week like Grant does, but from the rare occasions I have seen them play then I think they are certainly no worse than what we see on the bench.  Thorne has done nothing, McVeigh isn''t interested when given a chance, and Fleming is too slow now to play in the back four.  As for Safri, he should be a first choice midfielder, not on the bench.

[quote user="Fat Barman"]

I can''t agree, fox. The difference between Grant & Worthington is that Grant has actually been watching the youngsters play - travelling to away games for Youth and Reserve teams -

[/quote]Well I wont pretend to be the pinnacle of reserve team football, bit I have to say Worthington was certainly at most of the evening reserve games I attened during his rain, sorry, reign.As for getting behind the team, its they who are being paid and me paying them. They dont earn they''re money then I''ll complain. If they do I''m 100% behind them. They are supposed to motivate me. Thats why I go. to be lifted. 5 hour round trip and all.....

[quote user="Cluck"]

I agree totally when it comes to the players we currently have. On the whole they are playing to their limit...which is ordinary at best....and downright shameful at worst.

[/quote]

But they are not playing to their limit. That''s THE most disappointing thing at the moment. These players played better earlier this season. They played better in the 3-3 draw at Southend than they did in the 0-0 on Boxing Day. Under Peter Grant they have never reached the standard they set earlier this season under Worthington. I think that''s part of the fans frustrations. I know it is mine!