Sign in to follow this  
Roasted Guniea Pig

Doomcaster Email??

[quote user="Sherlock Holmes"]

I''m surprised he gives out his email address.

The Chief Exec where I work wouldn''t bother spitting on you if he saw you on fire in the street.

[/quote]

Dongcaster is probably just the same with NCFC employees.....but ''we fans'' are his bread and butter...and the ''personal link'' is all part of the ''spin'' machine to make us feel involved. I''m sure the address is one specially created for fans to use....and overseen by an office junior.

I emailed him a month or so ago and was surprised to get a reply from him so quickly, bet other clubs dont give out or respond to personal emails.

I spoke to him today after recieving an e:mail at about 9:15am on boxing day (the day that he returned to the ofice after his Christmas break).

To be fair to the guy he was very good and a lot of what he did say made sense but was purely in defence of the board...

He had no reasonable explanation of why the current board should not be seeking financial input from elsewhere though "if their pockets weren''t deep enough" to bail us out of the current situation...  other than if people wanted to invest they should be knocking on the doors of Carrow Road with their City scarf wrapped around them declaring their undying loyalty to the club and City...  How short sighted is that I ask you?  Is it not a well know fact that both Leicester and Wolves are actively looking for buyers???

"We are now going through a period of instability and negativity after over achieving for one season" he said!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

I spoke to him today after recieving an e:mail at about 9:15am on boxing day (the day that he returned to the ofice after his Christmas break).

To be fair to the guy he was very good and a lot of what he did say made sense but was purely in defence of the board...

He had no reasonable explanation of why the current board should not be seeking financial input from elsewhere though "if their pockets weren''t deep enough" to bail us out of the current situation...  other than if people wanted to invest they should be knocking on the doors of Carrow Road with their City scarf wrapped around them declaring their undying loyalty to the club and City...  How short sighted is that I ask you?  Is it not a well know fact that both Leicester and Wolves are actively looking for buyers???

"We are now going through a period of instability and negativity after over achieving for one season" he said!!!

[/quote]

Suck back Smudge.......so he was actually saying that promotion was actually a mistake and we should really have concentrated on consolidating our Championship status. Well.......makes sense to me..........FFS!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

that single sentance on its own defies Comprehension!

jas :)

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

this is one of the most worrying things I have heard. The negativity is because of YOU THE BOARD!!  you held on to a failiong unpopular man and teh fans got angry - what did you expect?

Over acheiving.... IS IT NOT THE PLAN TO ATTAIN THE TOP 6 and attempt to get promotion?  Was the 19th place your ''jobs for friends'' Worthington left us in OK in your eyes??  All that money wasted on worse players like Hughes and Doherty (brought as a PREMIERSHIP PLAYER!!! you have to laugh or you''d cry...)

And your new totally inexperienced choice cannot even tell Safri is a better player than the famed ''midfield 3''.  WELL DONE.

[quote user="cityangel"]I emailed him a month or so ago and was surprised to get a reply from him so quickly, bet other clubs dont give out or respond to personal emails.[/quote]

You are one of the most sensible people on this forum Cityangel....Good on you.

I travel to quite a few away games (and also goto every home game for the last 14 years) and i have never seen a club executive standing outside taking questions at any other ground. Doncaster gets an awful lot of comments on this site and most of it is unfounded..( and before wiz or one of the others ask..No im not him!!!!!)

If that is a true quote then that has to be one of the most worrying things I have heard out of Carrow Road in a long, long time.  I would like to consider myself to be a reasonable poster on this forum but if promotion is an over achievement then what it the target?  Mid-table Championship?

Let’s be honest, promotion and in particular winning the league was a bit of shock for everyone but this club did very little to capitalise on the situation.  We went into the Premier League as "plucky little Norwich", punching well above their weight, just happy to see the "bright lights" for a fleeting moment.  It was almost like a holiday from the football league for a season.  We would enjoy our "break" but in the end we knew we would come back to the comfort of the fizzy league.

This club has wasted golden opportunity after golden opportunity both on and off the pitch in the last two and a bit seasons.  From the moment we won this league it has all been negative from the club.  Not buying the striker we needed in the Premier until we “knew” how much Sky money we would get!  Somehow though we managed to claw our way from certain relegation and went into the last game of the season with our fate in our own hands but we all know how that ended. 

When relegated we missed another opportunity in the close season.  We WERE one of the TOP clubs in this league and favourites to win it.  This should have made us very desirable to the top players in this league and the better ones dropping from the Prem, all it needed was the board to release some funds.  Instead of going after the right players we were more concerned about extending Ashton’s contract to try and jack up his price.  When you look at it though the club made profit in that period with the sales of Francis, Helveg and Jonson being more than the signings of Jarret, Thorne, Colin, Louis-Jean and Hughes.  Only two of those cost any money and instead of going after the likes of Sidwell and better quality players we were shopping in the “bargain bin”.  Hardly the sign of an ambitious club.  I know we went after Morrison but that was only after selling Francis.  We later learnt that the club made a profit for the season, which is baffling to say the least when all we heard was that there was little money to spend.

The final opportunity that this club wasted was this summer and the whole Worthington debacle.  We had a chance for a clean break, a fresh start or whatever you care to call it but this board sat on there hands and did nothing.  They should have either sacked or backed Worthington.  In the end all they did was give him enough rope to hang himself.  They just couldn’t make a decision, if they were not going to remove him from his post then they should have spent some of the profit they made but despite Worthington identifying players, he didn’t get them. We signed one player in the close season, ONE!!!  Despite losing three or four players including loans we had, we managed to sign Croft and then later Dublin.  As much as I wanted him gone I ended up feeling sorry for Worthington. 

It’s not hard to understand why Worthington stayed without being backed though.  He was here long enough for the board to blame this season’s failure on him and for a long time he was a human shield for them against any “negativity”.  It’s interesting how the focus has now turned to the board now he has gone.  I am sure the board saw it coming which is why they took their time to put on a disgraceful show in one the worst weeks I can remember being a City fan.  The “ultimatum” followed by the game at home to Burnley made me cringe and the club came out of it with as much dignity as Girls Aloud at a “live” concert.

This club has made lots of mistakes and can have no-one to blame for “instability and negativity” but itself.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

If that is a true quote then that has to be one of the most worrying things I have heard out of Carrow Road in a long, long time.  I would like to consider myself to be a reasonable poster on this forum but if promotion is an over achievement then what it the target?  Mid-table Championship?

Let’s be honest, promotion and in particular winning the league was a bit of shock for everyone but this club did very little to capitalise on the situation.  We went into the Premier League as "plucky little Norwich", punching well above their weight, just happy to see the "bright lights" for a fleeting moment.  It was almost like a holiday from the football league for a season.  We would enjoy our "break" but in the end we knew we would come back to the comfort of the fizzy league.

This club has wasted golden opportunity after golden opportunity both on and off the pitch in the last two and a bit seasons.  From the moment we won this league it has all been negative from the club.  Not buying the striker we needed in the Premier until we “knew” how much Sky money we would get!  Somehow though we managed to claw our way from certain relegation and went into the last game of the season with our fate in our own hands but we all know how that ended. 

When relegated we missed another opportunity in the close season.  We WERE one of the TOP clubs in this league and favourites to win it.  This should have made us very desirable to the top players in this league and the better ones dropping from the Prem, all it needed was the board to release some funds.  Instead of going after the right players we were more concerned about extending Ashton’s contract to try and jack up his price.  When you look at it though the club made profit in that period with the sales of Francis, Helveg and Jonson being more than the signings of Jarret, Thorne, Colin, Louis-Jean and Hughes.  Only two of those cost any money and instead of going after the likes of Sidwell and better quality players we were shopping in the “bargain bin”.  Hardly the sign of an ambitious club.  I know we went after Morrison but that was only after selling Francis.  We later learnt that the club made a profit for the season, which is baffling to say the least when all we heard was that there was little money to spend.

The final opportunity that this club wasted was this summer and the whole Worthington debacle.  We had a chance for a clean break, a fresh start or whatever you care to call it but this board sat on there hands and did nothing.  They should have either sacked or backed Worthington.  In the end all they did was give him enough rope to hang himself.  They just couldn’t make a decision, if they were not going to remove him from his post then they should have spent some of the profit they made but despite Worthington identifying players, he didn’t get them. We signed one player in the close season, ONE!!!  Despite losing three or four players including loans we had, we managed to sign Croft and then later Dublin.  As much as I wanted him gone I ended up feeling sorry for Worthington. 

It’s not hard to understand why Worthington stayed without being backed though.  He was here long enough for the board to blame this season’s failure on him and for a long time he was a human shield for them against any “negativity”.  It’s interesting how the focus has now turned to the board now he has gone.  I am sure the board saw it coming which is why they took their time to put on a disgraceful show in one the worst weeks I can remember being a City fan.  The “ultimatum” followed by the game at home to Burnley made me cringe and the club came out of it with as much dignity as Girls Aloud at a “live” concert.

This club has made lots of mistakes and can have no-one to blame for “instability and negativity” but itself.

[/quote]

That''s the best constructed criticism of the board I''ve seen on this site. No hyperbole, no rash predictions or speculation, no "Doomcaster" or "Cook" insults, no conspiracy theories. Just facts. It''s a compelling argument. I don''t quite agree that the board were to blame for Worthington''s lack of signings, as I think failure to act in adequate time was a Worthington trait through and through, not just with signings, but with making team changes when neccesary. I like the people on the board as people, and I don''t think they''re doing a bad job neccesarily, but neither are they doing a better than average job, and that''s where the disparity is occurring. The Little Norwich mentality is a big problem, as is the fact that none of them are football people. I''ve said before and I still stand by it, that Dave Stringer or someone with real football knowledge should be added as a director, to give these well-intentioned people some direction. However, I can''t fault it as a post or an opinion Saint, good work.

What a stonking post Saint Canary....and I defy anybody to put it better.

However, there were a few of us looking over the fence at the Board back then....but Worthington was the main target.....and I fear deliberately made so by the club. DS and Co were ''untouchable''.......

They have nowhere to hide now however....and their stab at bringing in a ''wonder boy'' in the form of Grant to quell the storm has backfired. They now have to stand up and be counted like no other time in the past 10 years.....and if they fail this time....Wizards prediction of doom will become fact.

It''s time for us all to be united (not Man Utd.[+o(])....and direct our displeasure towards those who can do something about it....so-called saviour or not. THEY got us into this mess....and it is their place to get us out of it again. No more excuses....now is the time.......

Doncaster was spot on.

It was blindingly obvious that the club DID NOT HAVE a premiership side when they got promoted. The defence was totally inadequate & the midfield pedestrian - except on the increasingly rare occasions when Francis decided to turn up. It was amazing that NCFC were still in it at all at the season''s end. In this respect the signing of Ashton was a masterstroke (as was Huckerby previously); I don''t think any of you give sufficient credit to Worthington for these, whatever his other shortcomings.

It is extraordinarily difficult to build a team to win the championship that will then survive in the premier league - you need a lot of money &/or a lot of luck, even with an excellent manager (Steve Coppell''s career has not been an unmitigated success).

I actually believe the club is trying to build a side capable of surviving in the premier league (Colin, Croft, Etuhu, Shackell, Huckerby, Earnie, Chadwick, Safri, Drury) while drafting in a couple of journeymen pro tem (Hughes, Robinson) & an excellent stopgap - Dublin.

The problem is that it''s always a gamble - every other team in the land is trying to do the same trick. At the moment it''s just not working; too many players nowhere near their potential & it''s spreading poisonously.The team isn''t gelling.

It may well be that some players will never find it in themselves to fulfil their potential. They will have to go.But whoever comes along is highly unlikely to guarantee success. It will always be a bit of a gamble.

It''s a funny old game.

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]How did we over achieve, was it a fluke winning the league?[/quote]

Exactly...  isn''t that frightening?  How long do we have to wait for another fluke to occur???

Mind you I always knew it was a fluke and that Worthy just got lucky with the 3 loan signings that year... 

The board were even being put under pressure in some quaters way back then to release additional funds to Worthy in order to give us that edge to turn us from an ok team that was capable of finishing around 8th to 6th place in to a squad capable of challenging for promotion and staying up...

They took the gamble on the 3 loan players who helped us in to the promotion places by Christmas when we brought in Svensson, McKenzie and Huckerby... and showing that small bit of ambition required never looked back and stormed to the League title...

Ever since then the purse strings have been far too tight and we have been moving steadily in the opposite direction.