Sign in to follow this  
Attack Barclay 2nd Half

Clarification on Grants contract

Last season loads of people protested that the manager shouldn''t have a rolling contract as it puts them in to a strong position when it comes to negotiating a release.

Also I should imaging it depends on the manager but I would go with the above over anything else. Anyway for all we know there is a clause that suggests if we fail to finnish above say 12th we have the right to terminate the contract with x amount of compensation, not nessisarily related to loss of income etc.

Three and a half years is absurdly long. Didn''t the board learn anything from the Worthy saga. We can only hope that they bought Grant''s services cheaply. If he''s on £200,000 a year or less, then it will cost no more than paying off Worthy''s contract should they decide they need to fire Grant. If he''s on something close to Worthy''s £600,000 a year, then how the hell can they afford to dismiss Grant if needs be?

My understanding is that we approached him, that suggests to me that he would very much have had the upper hand in negotiations over his contract.

Mark .Y.

This is just bizarre: the club puts Worthy on a rolling one-year contract and gets slated for it, then uses a 3yr contract and also gets slated.  The fact is that this seems to be a pretty standard length of contract for a manager - look at Curbishley at West Ham and Pardew at Charlton, the most recent appointments, if you don''t believe me.  You have to bear in mind that contracts have to be ''good'' for both parties.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

My understanding is that we approached him, that suggests to me that he would very much have had the upper hand in negotiations over his contract.

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

Absolutely......[Y]

[quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]Well that counters reports that he applied then......I didn''t see much criticism of the 12 month rolling contract.....??

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]

I didn''t see much criticism of the 12 month rolling contract.....??
[/quote]

If that is true then you can''t have been on here too often in the last 18 months or so!

Well trust me people at the time were complaining that no manager at this club should have a rolling contract, we had it all of last season and the beggining of this one.

"I didn''t see much criticism of the 12 month rolling contract.....??"

With all due respect AB2ndH (got to get yourself a short username!) we did discuss it at length on here and on almost all the messageboards!

Perhaps Manager contracts should have "Options" like record label contracts - you only get to stay in charge for the next season if the Club exercises its'' option, otherwise you just get ''dropped''.

a rolling Contract is a joke!

the managers contract never has an end date! therefore he can affectively be at a club forever...

dig up some of the old posts....

Worthy was allegedly on a rolling deal (I dispute this given the fact 2 news stories exist on eveningnews24 if u search for them mentioning Extensions.... and a rolling contract does not equate to an "extension" does it?)

jas :)

Well interesting.... I didn''t cancel my ST until April and I can only remember hearing how grateful we all were that Worthington was on the 12 month roll...... that was only revealed around this time year, as I said. to everyones relief.So, has anyone confirmed Grants contract length or is everone just assuming as uual?

[quote user="jetstream"]"I didn''t see much criticism of the 12 month rolling contract.....??" With all due respect AB2ndH (got to get yourself a short username!) we did discuss it at length on here and on almost all the messageboards! Perhaps Manager contracts should have "Options" like record label contracts - you only get to stay in charge for the next season if the Club exercises its'' option, otherwise you just get ''dropped''.[/quote]

Now there''s an idea!.........Good one.

Surely a rookie manager on the make would''nt baulk too much at that. It would keep him well and truly on his toes and give the club a chance to offload him if he didn''t do the business. If after one season he has potential....discuss the options and tie him down to stop him from just wandering off.

No doubt the Football Managers Association would have everyone up in arms about it though!............[:(]