Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

QPR Thread - This IS our strongest team...

Doherty is a bl**dy liability, one might want to swap him with thorne and put Dublin at the back but otherwise, this is a decent team with our strongest personnel all in their favoured positions. Not sure when the last time was that we did field this team, but looking back over recent games, we haven''t been able to for some time.
  • 21 Gallacher

• 24 Colin

• 04 Shackell

• 27 Doherty

• 03 Drury

• 07 Croft

• 15 Safri

• 20 Etuhu

• 06 Huckerby

• 09 Dublin

• 10 Earnshaw
Now lets see if they can play...

I agree, trust me to get a nasty cold, sore throat etc etc when we play our strongest team. It will be interesting to see how we manage without our 2 star midfielders, Hughes and Robinson [:D]

Cmon Norwich!!!

I agree, trust me to get a nasty cold, sore throat etc etc when we play our strongest team. It will be interesting to see how we manage without our 2 star midfielders, Hughes and Robinson [:D]

Cmon Norwich!!!

Pretty much agree that this is our strongest side with the current squad - will be interesting to see how they do.  IMO the weak links are Doc and Colin - though both have proven that they are good enough on their day; maybe what we need in the transfer window is strength in depth so that they are the replacements rather than the first choice, and so that there is more depth in other positions incase of injury, though what we''ll actually get is another thing completely.

3 much needed points, maybe I should stay away more often [:)]

Plus Ipswich lost [:)]

quite a few of the teams around us drew or lost. gd results all round and by the looks of the minute by minute on the BBC we were the more dominant team

just got back from the game... great performance although again we looked a little bit short in the final third, great performances from the two fullbacks, shackell was excellent and surprise surprise safri was great and controlled the midfield and greatly influenced a good performance from ethtu and all this without hughes and robinson....surely its not that hard to spot?

i really dont like criticising players but when hughes came on....well lets just hope maccelsfield or someone places a 20k bid for his services

on a more positive note a great team performance from all above but Man of the Match (given to safri incidently) in my mind no doubt goes to our star centre forward/ centre midfielder/ centre back ... Dion Dublin, the bloke won every header, placed his flick-ons, passed the ball well outside to the wings and scored a good goal

Please grant build on this and DONT put robinson and hughes back in for the palace game, definately our strongest 11 out there today

[quote user="hogesar"]Safri off for Hughes?  Why..[/quote]

Erm, it was Croft that was replaced by Hughes on 77 mins - quite sensibly since Crofty is just back from injury and there is a game on Monday; Saf was replaced by WLY on 88mins, also reasonably sensible to use up time.

Went to the game today and was reletively pleased with what I saw. It was good for me as after five years away from the place I call home I have decided to return to Norwich so hopefully I will get to more games.

I was expeciting absolute rubbish as having listened to the Southend game we seemed lacklustre to say the least and then not getting the win at Wolves also.

From the start to the finnish I think I can safely say we were the better team. I think I can remember Gallacher having to make one save all afternoon after a bit of a mix up in defence.

Even though QPR lost I would say they were playing with luck on their side as Dublin had a bullet header stopped by a defender who wasnt sure where he was let alone the ball!

The passing was excellent, Etuhu was strong and powerful and one quite a few important challenges/tackles. I am almost certain that Safri had some sort of influence in this as he turned defence into attack with accurate passing and timely interceptions and tackles.

Dublin for me was immence, he can keep hold of that ball like no other! I think Safri did deserve the man of the match award but Dublin must have been close.

The big let down for me were Croft and Huckerby. Croft mainly because his skill and vision is great but his crosses need to improve, what is all of this chipping the ball into the box, it needs to be a ball with pace! Huckerby seemed out of sorts, he did get back and cover a couple of times which was annoying because he proved he can tackle but there were times when QPR were on the counter attack with their full backs pushing on and Croft AND Huckerby standing with their hands on their hips in line with Earnie and Dublin.

Saying that our defence was pretty much solid today, Shackell makes himself known almost straight away and Drury was linking well with Huckerby down the left. Colin for me was outstanding, he was pushing forwards more and supporting Croft which lead to some good moves.

I sat their with a friend with ten to fifteen minutes to go and we couldn''t see how any of the subs could actually change the game and that has to be a worrying factor. For me that is our strongest midfield at the moment and whilst Dublin is a striker our strongest attack and defence. A little more in the last third and we are there.

Actually one of  the things Grant said struck home, we seem to be scared to shoot from outside of the six yard box. Earnie had a great chance at the end and took it one step too far he should have let rip from the edge of the box. Infact although he played well I think Earnie could have played better, he set up the goal with a peach of a pass but I feel he tried to take on too many players sometimes or just held onto it for too long.

Otherwise I was becoming increasingly baffled by some of the QPR fans chants - one started off as "Norwich just a small Town IN Ipswich"!

And it has to be said the other will always baffle me when away supporters sing it which is "who are ya?". Why do away fans insist on singing this? They may as well be singing where am I? And yet they managed to find their way here! That is unless they have come to the wrong game . . . . one of those strange illogical football things I guess.

I''m a big fan of Safri and it was great to see him back, but Dublin was definately the man of the match. For an old boy he covered so much ground, got some important defensive blocks in, made some lovely link-up play and he got the only goal. A class act I''d say.

I''ve also been hit by the post-Christmas bug CA but haven''t missed a game since my return to the fine city five years ago so couldn''t miss it. Glad I went. Much better but still not great.

Dion easily MOTM - I note the match sponsors were flybe so maybe the decision behind our main sponsor''s MOTM choice was a farewell gift...

i was thinking Something like that Pete... we need to keep the Sponsors Sweet.. and if Safri is their main man then surely he has to play... Flybe are paying us lots of Money remember...

jas :)

"i really dont like criticising players but when hughes came on....well lets just hope maccelsfield or someone places a 20k bid for his services"

What a load of nonsense. What exactly did he do wrong in this game to deserve such an ill thought comment? Think for yourself mate dont follow the herd.

City were superb first half, especially Safri who ran the game. After half time the tempo dropped considerably and the crowd went quiet. However, I think that was due to tiredness, and Croft, Drury, Huckerby and Safri in particular looked out on their feet. Dion roared on to the end and was a legend. A big difference when you can put your best team out.

I do worry for Monday however, because there are a lot of very tired legs tonight and a very small squad.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

I''ve also been hit by the post-Christmas bug CA but haven''t missed a game since my return to the fine city five years ago so couldn''t miss it. Glad I went. Much better but still not great.

Dion easily MOTM - I note the match sponsors were flybe so maybe the decision behind our main sponsor''s MOTM choice was a farewell gift...

[/quote]

I was upset to miss it but was grounded by hubby plus dont think my legs would have got me there today.

Glad they won though and pleased that Saffers had a good game.

[quote user="a1canary"]Doherty is a bl**dy liability, one might want to swap him with thorne and put Dublin at the back
[/quote]

How is Doherty a bl**dy liability? He was our POS last year and he has been solid enough this season. He and Shackell seem to play well together, they were both pretty close to MOM today.

Our best team surely must have our best centreforward at centreforward.

Another clean sheet for The Doc and another goal for 37DD means that, with all due respect, I''m glad you don''t pick the team!

a load of nonsense?! like me, of course youre intitled to your opinion, but do you really think andy hughes is a good player for us?

and to a certain degree i am following the herd beacuse the majority can see how he affects our play when he comes on! countless times he got the ball on the right, ran down the wing well and then tried a ronaldo step over and looked to cheque back when there were 4 players in the box (etuhu, huckerby, dion and earnie), plus although others didnt rate etuhu much i thought he had a good game and looks so much more assured when safri is next to him, he looked stronger and put his authority on the game much more

I never said he was a good player for us. I think he isnt as bad as others say he is. I also think that to value him at only £20,000 is beyond a joke. As a team player, who can play anywhere, who gives 110% effort, he is very good value for money. All teams need hod carriers you know, check the highlights, the chance Earnie wasted at the end was set up by a good well timed through ball by??

He''s not brilliant, but he''s not bad and doesnt deserve all the abuse, thats all I''m saying.

So we''re agreed this was our strongest team - so why the hell can''t we play it for consecutive games then and get some sense of stability in the side?

We''re not Liverpool and besides, all this rotation quite often doesn''t even work for them either.