Sign in to follow this  
Kidderminster Canary

Bert Westwood Memories

I was saddend to hear that Bert had passed away, Bert was a freind of my parents when we moved from Brandon to Sratford upon Avon in 56, he helped me settle in and intoduced me to Statford Town FC where I stayed untill my marriage and move to Worcestershire in 66.

Bert had a sports shop in Stratford and was a football league ref , he took me with him to several games to watch him ref, but towards the end of his refereing days he used to take a bit of stick due to his "rotund" shape !

I watched the 56 cup final at his house as we didnt have a tv at the time , this was the year that Bert Trautmann broke his neck playing in the Man city goal and played on for the last 15 mins ( no subs those days )

After he joined city he invited me to look around carrow rd , a day I will always remenber, he also got me an autographed photo of the famous cup semi final team.

I am sure he will be greatly missed.

Agreed KC. I cannot believe there was no minutes silence for Bert before the game today.  There have nbeen many bestowed with this honour who had far more tenuous connections with the football club. Whatever are you thinking about City?

Football clubs have short memories. Where I have house in southern England....my neighbour died in his mid nineties. He was the last surviving member of a particular pre-war FA Cup Final....and the club he starred for never even sent a card to his widow. I thought this was a disgrace...especially as he had earlier donated his medal.

Bert was one of those "real football" people we bang on about so often on here and so he should....and hopefully will have a minutes'' silence at our next home match. Maybe you could stir them up Kathy?.........

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="Cluck"]

Maybe you could stir them up Kathy?.........

[/quote]

I''m on the case.

[/quote]

You''re a total babe Kathy.............[:)]

[quote user="Kathy"]Agreed KC. I cannot believe there was no minutes silence for Bert before the game today.  There have nbeen many bestowed with this honour who had far more tenuous connections with the football club. Whatever are you thinking about City?[/quote]

Go for it Kathy , Bert was one of the best , what an ambassador for the club , shame on you city.

[quote user="ray ducker"]

[quote user="Kathy"]Agreed KC. I cannot believe there was no minutes silence for Bert before the game today.  There have nbeen many bestowed with this honour who had far more tenuous connections with the football club. Whatever are you thinking about City?[/quote]

Go for it Kathy , Bert was one of the best , what an ambassador for the club , shame on you city.

[/quote]

Been in touch with the football club. They say they intend to have a minutes silence for Bert Westwood before the Plymouth game on the 13th Jan. There wasnt one on  Boxing Day because of the timing of Bert''s death. It is customary for the club to combine the minutes silence with a tribute in the programme, and on this occasion there wasnt time to get it in before the print deadline. They are anxious that this isnt seen as a slur against Bert. So there you go.

Thanks Kathy

It''s right to have a minutes silence for us to spend with our memories of Bert.

You didn''t make it clear whether the club always intend this or was it because you "stirred them up"? I rather hope it''s the former.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thanks Kathy

It''s right to have a minutes silence for us to spend with our memories of Bert.

You didn''t make it clear whether the club always intend this or was it because you "stirred them up"? I rather hope it''s the former.

[/quote]

To be fair I am certain they intended to anyway.