Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is this our worse team EVER?

Okay, Hamilton''s team was bad, ditto Smeggars..........twice!, but is this shower of s*** our worse team ever?. Son of wiz, now back working and living in the City, said to me at half time, that he couldn''t believe just how bad we were today.

Well?, do you agree that this is our worse ever team?.

I won''t  blame ''la gob'', he didn''t buy them, but I DO blame the board for letting worthless hang on far too long, and they did sanction the transfers did they not?.

For what its worth, I believe it IS our worse ever team!.

Are you that guy John from Canary Call??

There is no point in blaming Worthy anymore because he is gone, and gone with the equivalent of a Lee Croft in his skyrocket!

There is no point in blaming the board for not acting sooner, you may be right but it would be futile to for anyone to argue anyway as we can''t change it now.

I think a lot of people miss Worthington when they are disappointed by performances and results. He was a good outlet for the frustrations and disappointments, like being able to go home and kick the cat but without fear of being reported to the RSPCA. It''s too early to blame Grant although I remember posters on here saying they wanted Worthington out after his very first match. So it''s the players or the board that get all the wrath of the Barclay!

As for the transfers, yes the board sanctioned them but Hughes, Etuhu and Robinson weren''t the only Worthington targets that the board sanctioned. To pick another three from the present squad, they also sanctioned Huckerby, Earnshaw and Croft.

Do I think this is the worst side ever? On today''s show I don''t think it''s far short and then other weeks I don''t think it''s far short of being good enough to get us back up. We have had key players missing for weeks now, let''s ride the storm for a little while and see how we look with a few new signings and a few back from injury.

No - its not our worst team ever;  but yesterdays display was shocking

Its certainly one of the worst teams ever to represent our club. they are a total disgrace. Thats the word. Its not all down to Worthington, although he takes a large slice of the blame for bringing such a load of crap into the club, and allowing quality to leave, when are people going to wake up and start looking at the board?  

I think overall, and without Earnie, we''re right back at the kind of level of the Carey, Sutch, Grant side of the mid-late 90''s...Robinson and Etuhu, on yesterday''s performance, are the worst central midfield pairing I''ve ever seen...They don''t want the ball, they do little positive with it when they do get it, they don''t want to get forward, they don''t close down quickly or tightly enough; Robinson gives the ball away repeatedly and sometimes inexplicably, Etuhu has a poor first touch and goes into hiding for large passages of time...We are not good enough to play any kind of possession football becuase there are too many passengers,  and we can''t play direct football  because we don''t have the personnel and our set-pieces are poor...Grant has a massive rebuilding job to do, and needs to stop talking a good game and be allowed to bring in these ''four quality players'' in January...

Remember that poster yellow fever? He said we shouldn''t stop with worthington but turn out attentions to the board. You all laughed at him and it was only 2 months ago!

I have seen plenty of dreadful performances in the past by City teams under different managers, so I wouldn''t like to say if this is our worst team ever. One thing is for certain though, that showing yesterday was sheer dross and the outcome was fairly inevitable from not too long after kick off. We only started to play a bit after going two goals down. I don''t think I saw any midfield tackles in the 1st half, which meant that Wednesday were given the freedom to mount wave after wave of attacks on our goal. Brilliant strategy that, Peter! And by the way, what exactly is all that waving and shouting and pointing all about? It didn''t seem to make any difference as far as I could see. As has been mentioned before, we really don''t have anything in midfield for much of the time so big changes are essential if we are going to build a successful team again. Good luck in the January window, Mr G!

Good question but pointless if you know what i mean. Some posters on here are relatively young so wont remember many seasons. I can only go back 32 years & im sure while in Division 2 south & all the other old divisions they were renamed we must have had worse teams than the current one. Bus as for recent teams then,these bunch of clowns are certainly up there in the Hall of Crap!

I think it has to be pretty close to our worse team.  Not only do many of the players seem to lack the necessary ability to play in this division, they don''t even appear to care enough to compete in most games.

Players like Johnny Wright, Che Wilson, and Shaun Carey lacked ability but at least they possessed the commitment and professionalism to give 100% when they played.

I don`t know if they are our worst ever team, but I have thought for a while that they are the worst that I have seen in the last twenty something years.

What really bugs me is not who is responsible for assembling this motley bunch but the fact that they are paid premier league wages when not one of them is premier league class.Also I find it insulting to my intelligence to be constantly told by the board,manager and the players themselves that our tiny squad is actually bursting with talent.If they seriously believe this then we are in real trouble.

Having only supported Norwich City for the last 20 years, I can only comment on the teams we''ve had in that period. Clearly the team we had in the Premiership was top class under Stringer and Walker (and then ruined by Deehan). This team is about on a par with the Mike Walker (second stint) team in the late 90s, possibly marginally worse. And the midfield trio of Etuhu, Robinson and Hughes is the worst midfield I''ve ever seen turn out for Norwich. And when you consider I''ve seen a midfield with Carey and Anselin in it, who once they left the club ended up in non-league, speaks volumes for the talent of that afore-mentioned trio currently being paid under false pretences. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Okay, Hamilton''s team was bad, ditto Smeggars..........twice!, but is this shower of s*** our worse team ever?. Son of wiz, now back working and living in the City, said to me at half time, that he couldn''t believe just how bad we were today.

Well?, do you agree that this is our worse ever team?.

I won''t  blame ''la gob'', he didn''t buy them, but I DO blame the board for letting worthless hang on far too long, and they did sanction the transfers did they not?.

For what its worth, I believe it IS our worse ever team!.

[/quote]

Think the message that I saw on Wrath of The Barclay last night summed it up perfectly Wiz....

It said something like...  "Grant played in the worst City team ever and he now seems to be managing the 2nd worst"

Nigel Worthington said that we were to judge him on the team that he built and I think that a lot of this rabble are as bad and maybe worse in certain cases as the team that he inherited from Brian Hamilton.

there is some quality in the team though you wouldnt know it by recent performances.At sunderland we were toothless and it was only a matter of time before they scored.Yesterday we were truly bad and deserved nothing.there is much dead wood at carrow road and,coupled with our paper thin,lightweight squad we are going nowhere this season.I said when grant took over we were a mid table outfit and we remain that.

Worst team? No.  Biggest under achievers? Yes.

This is the most expensively assembled, highest paid squad we have ever had and this league and we are going nowhere at the moment, that is my frustration. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Remember that poster yellow fever? He said we shouldn''t stop with worthington but turn out attentions to the board. You all laughed at him and it was only 2 months ago!

[/quote]

I''ve been ''banging on'' about our bloody useless board for nigh on two years Nutty, still, I''m not giving up just yet, they will go...........................one day!.

Nutty,

I think the John from Canary call was John Tilson, treasurer of the NCISA

I think I once watched a Norwich team which contained Derveld, Anselin, De Waard, Carey, Milligan, Fleck (version 2 - the wilderness years) and Roberts in the season before he became good (I think they said he played with a broken toe for most of the season, or some other excuse).  My god, those were dark days.

Of course, it might be my age playing me up.

Anyway, what we''ve got now isn''t that bad on paper - it''s getting them to be less than useless in practice which seems to be the problem.

depends what you mean by team.squad - then no - last years was worse (after we sent marney back) - at least we have a right wing now (when its fit).starting 11 yesterday  - also no - that was against burnley.

I''d have to say I''ve seen worse players overall....but not a worse attitude.

We had some stinkers in the 1960s....but they often came here as crocks and were little more than we ever expected. Surely having moved on such a long way since those dark (but strangely enjoyable) days....we can have every right to expect better. Once we lose our ambition....we lose the plot.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Nutty,

I think the John from Canary call was John Tilson, treasurer of the NCISA

[/quote]

Could be CA, and that would fit because I see Roy Blower has even started to praise Robert Chase in this weeks column.

I didn''t really think it was 1st Wizard it was just they seemed to be saying the same things.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''ve been ''banging on'' about our bloody useless board for nigh on two years Nutty, still, I''m not giving up just yet, they will go...........................one day!.

[/quote]

Me too Wiz....  They have sold us short since the day we went up...  There can''t of been many teams that have spent less than us after winning promotion since the Premiership was first invented....  take the Ashton transfer (which was made far too late anyhow) out of the euation and what we spent was an absolute joke!!!

I said at home to Cardiff (well over a year ago now) that I would not be going until Worthy went... and after what the board have done since his dismissal I can''t see myself walking through the gates of Deliaville until she has removed herself from the equation too

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Well if it was indeed John Tilson then I would not take much notice of what he says as he is a windbag that changes his opinion more times than Steve Claridge changes football clubs[/quote]

I''m sure it was him as he said it was his personal opinion and not that of the NCISA.

Personally, the central midfield pairing I think are the worst I have ever seen were Grant and Milligan,  No goal threat, no ability to pass and control the ball, just running about like headless chickens following the ball about wherever it went.  They only ran after the ball so much because the kept losing it all the time.  Sounds a lot like Hughes really!!