Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Judging Grant at this stage is pure madness

I see plenty of posts discussing Grant and how there has been no improvment under him and we were better off with Worthington.  Quite simply I am shocked what exactly was everyone expecting.  It is clear to me that we had no choice but to sack Worthington and I firmly believe that Grant is the right choice to replace him.  The biggest thing is you have to give the man time.  Firstly he is working with Worthingtons squad and whatever anyones opinion one thing is universly true it''s painfully thin in depth.  Lets also remember this is Grants first management Job he will make mistakes, but I for one am sure he will get it right in the end.  The transfer window will be an interesting time as we will start to see the type of player Grant likes and hopefully we can start to see some real attacking football.

I think Grant has done O.K so far, but I think he has been refreshing.  I am a big fan of people who are honest at all costs and that''s what Grant is he pulls no punches and that''s just what this club needs.  I think it''s also wonderful to have a manager that is so passionate about this club and that can only be a good thing.  My message would be lets give Grant time and at very least leave any judgements until the end of the season.  Personally I wouldn''t like to cast full judgement until the end of the season after that because then it will be Grant''s team.  This season the playoffs would be fantastic, but Grant has not failed if we fail to make it.  Also holding onto Earnshaw is a must saturday showed that and I am of the opinion that hold onto Earnshaw and add to the squad and we will be in Cardiff in May.  This division is poor and any late run of form can take you from mid table to top six so lets not panic and the give the manager time.

I agree with you Jim.  In an ideal world Grant would have been appointed during the Summer and would have had the opportunity to get the know the squad and strengthen where necessary.

I''ve just seen some of Grant''s comments regarding Saturday''s performance and it look as throught he beginning to lose patience with some of the players in the squad.  Grant has given the players long enough to prove themselves, and, hopefully he now has a good idea of the players that he needs to get rid of.

I think we may have a very bright future under Grant, but, I guess this doesn''t make it any easy to stomach some of the results at the moment.

Agreed!Not only does PG have a small squad, it is also lacking in either commitment or ability, or both. Is there a worse midfield combination in the Championship?And injuries have not been kind - to lose Chadwick after one gaol and less than one game, with Croft having gone before, meant that we were back to the old Worthington empty right-side team.I think that we have to wait until after the January window and any new players have settled in, say mid March, before we can criticise him, or even at the end of the season when the deadwood (players and staff) has gone.One thing that worried me was his praise of the Board for paying Hux''s wages for another year. I hope that he was being honest and not merely part of the spin machine trying to explain why little will be spent in January. So far he has seemed passionate and tells things as he sees them.

I fully agree that Grant cannot be fully judged until he has the opportunity to bring in new players and play his team. However, that is only one part of the equation and, in my humble opinion, he has not made a particualrly auspicious start on other fronts. He has made some team selection decisons which border on the bizaare which are nothing to do with bringing in his players and which 25,000 amateur managers in the crowd wouldn''t have made e.g. dropping Dublin at Ipswich and playing Doherty in midfield at Stoke. It seems to have taken him a dozen games to realise that some players aren''t up to it. Well, there''s 25,000 who could have named those players before his first game and saved him twelve games to discover that for himself. And as for his promise that he would give the youngsters a game well, if the likes of Spillane aren''t any better than some of the so-called established players we have now then heaven help the future of NCFC. For a man who spends most of his time waving his arms and shouting, his ability to motivate players, even when some of them appear to have their jobs on the line, doesn''t seem any better than the previous incumbent who at times seemed so impassive I was relieved to see him move at half-time and full-time secure in the knowledge that he hadn''t passed away. And has the new man brought in ANY new ideas and any improvement in the team in the way that Laws clearly has at Sheffield Wednesday? I''d take some convincing.  

Another "ageed!" here.While Saturdays performance was not acceptable, it wasn''t entirely unexpected for me.I for one basically wrote off this season and put it down to experience when it became clear Worthington wasn''t going to be pulling any rabbits out of hats as he solemly supped his final beer in the last chance saloon.To expect Grant to be able to work miracles with half a squad is unreasonable.I expect to see improvements first after January and particularly after the summer when he''s had a proper chance to put his mark on the team.

I add to the agree but sadly some fans would the world at our feet. I wonder if too many of them have been playing LMA manager too much. I have full confidence in Grant to make the right transfers in the summer!

Looking forward to February!

Yep i agree he needs time.

What i find sad is that PG is being shot down already regarding the performance of the team he has.

It would seem some fans expect him to be able to turn some poor players into good ones.

This team needs a good clear out, but with the finances avalible, i think it will take the guy this season and next season to get the sqaud he needs to be able to show what he can do as a manager.

Its far to early to be expecting great results every time the team go on the pitch.

At the end of the day, the only thing that has changed is the manager, we still have a good few players that need transfered out of NCFC.

But this will take time.

We dont have the money to change things quickly; So getting on his back about the results he has achived with worthys squad isnt going to help anyone.

I think he can do a good job for us, but it isnt going to happen in one season.

On a side note, i also think we should be taking DD on after he decides to hang up his boots, because he is a quality player that will make a good coach for us.