Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

Etuhu im not convinced.

Has our midfield got some kind of bug that is catching? Why is it that all our central midfielders look so sllloooowww and never seem bothered. We have all been moaning about Robinson and Hughes, but Etuhu is just as at fault.

Etuhu some weeks turns up and others he doesnt. He is such a lazy player and you cant afford that in the midfield, which is meant to be the engine room. He scores a goal against Colchester and then wanders around the center cirlcle, as though my job is done.

This man i believe has the ability, so why does he not want to use it week in and week out. He should be knocking the opposition flying with his body strenght, but instead i would fancy Robert Eagle or Mcveigh in a 50-50 ball.

If a premier league club of some comes in for him then i think that we need to consider letting him go. Preston fans were so happy when he went and i can now see why.

We need two new midfielders, one defender and one forward.

Its possible we can get rid of him in the transfer window, a couple of his goals stand out in the memory and might sway someone to part with £3-400,000, if were lucky. But forget about premier league, the guy just isnt good enough.  

Totally agree, Etuhu might have the talent but doesn''t have the right attitude. I find that more frustrating than watching Andy Hughes who has the right attitude but not the talent.

[quote user="StimKing"]Totally agree, Etuhu might have the talent but doesn''t have the right attitude. I find that more frustrating than watching Andy Hughes who has the right attitude but not the talent.[/quote]

True - Ethuhu talent + Hughes application/attitude/effort and you would have a damn good player. Sadly, together, they are both poo.

Etuhu seemed to perform better in a 5-man midfield, when he had less responsibilities and could push forward. In a conventional 4-4-2 he looks lost, unsure whether to hold position or support the attack. Or maybe he''s just lazy.

As everyone says, Etuhu has the talent, but his heart is questionable. He''s the kind of player that will look great in a good team, but when the chips are down he goes missing. To be fair he doesn''t make too many mistakes, but he just doesn''t show when we need him. He''s not as bad as Robinson or Hughes but he has work to do to cement his place.

It seems Grant favours 442, I like 442 as well. Who do posters feel we should play in the centre of midfield? Safri has to play for me. There is no doubt we are an even worse side without him. In the 4 games this season that Safri didn''t figure at all we lost 5-0 to Stoke, 3-1 to piswich, and took just 1 point from home games against Hull and Sheff Wed. So for me it''s Safri to hold and a straight choice between Etuhu and Hughes to play box to box. I would maybe give Etuhu one more chance as we haven''t really seen him in a 442 with Safri. Hughes''s ability to cover various positions makes him a good benchwarmer at least. As soon as Croft is fit I want to see:-

Colin - Doherty - Shackell - Drury

Croft - Etuhu - Safri - Huckerby

Dublin - Earnshaw

The simple fact is that he is not good enough.

[quote user="Flan in the face"]Etuhu seemed to perform better in a 5-man midfield, when he had less responsibilities and could push forward. In a conventional 4-4-2 he looks lost, unsure whether to hold position or support the attack. Or maybe he''s just lazy.

[/quote]

That looks like the best combo to me NN, although I think I remember hearing that Croft can play in central midfield. If that is the case I would go with Chadwick-Croft-Safri-Huckerby. I know you think that Dublin should be up front but I think this would give us more creativity going forward and, thus, the option of keeping him in defence which, lets face it, practically falls apart when he is not leading it. But I broadly agree with your line up and certainly agree that we need Safri in midfield.  

I think that i would play Chadwick in a more central position as he seems to be more of a ball winner than crofty.

I think that we could do with Crofts pace on the wing. I think that unless we get a decent centre back that Dublin should stay there. If we do then i would put him up front.

Gallacher

Colin

Dublin

Shackle

Drury

Huckerby

Safri

Chadwick

Croft

Earnshaw

Jarvis or Thorne

I shall repeat my favoured formation                        GallacherColin        ?1?             Shackell             Drury                ?2?                SafriCroft               Chadwick                  Huckerby                       EarnshawSubs to be considered for each lineLewisDoc/Dublin/Hughes/Louis-Jean/Fleming + youngstersEtuhu/Hughes/Robinson + youngstersWLY/Henderson/RyanJarvisThorne/Dublin/RyanJarvis/HendersonWhere the line of three swaps about at will, with the central one linking the play between the striker and midfield. They will do this to prevent effective man marking and also if they are not getting any joy out of the positions they are playing at the time. What I mean is that for some of the time croft plays up the middle and chadwick on the right, and sometimes hux central with chadders on the left, swapping hux to the right would be a surprise tactic to employ infrequently, but some times to confuse defences.When a more attacking formation is required swap ?2? for another striker and play a 4-4-2 diamond.Players ?1? and ?2? would come from the appropriate line of the subs list.my preferences are:?1? - Dublin (Doc if he could get back to last years form)?2? - Etuhu (if he turns up, else hughes)Note these are the positions I feel we badly need new first team players [both leaders], along with generalised back up.

[quote user="StimKing"]Totally agree, Etuhu might have the talent but doesn''t have the right attitude. I find that more frustrating than watching Andy Hughes who has the right attitude but not the talent.[/quote]

never thought about it that way but I guess that is right, shame really.

Sometimes we forget that football is no longer about just the 11 players that start. Playing 442 would put a lot of work on Croft and Hucks and we would need someone on the bench who is comfortable to replace either and that for me is Chadwick. Remember how we used to play Rivers 60mins and then Notman 30.

Unless we manage to get another targetman in then playing Dublin at the back would mean relying on Thorne for 90 minutes. I would rather Dublin 60 / Thorne 30. I still believe that playing our best targetman in the defence is a really negative team selection.