Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Stability or a Rollercoaster?

Question. Doomacaster goes on about stability, no risks etc.

What would you prefer the club to be, "a bob along mid to lower table championship club" (which we are now, don''t kid yourselves that we are anything else)

or

A "go for it, lets get it on baby, all out assualt on hitting and keeping the big time with ambition as our primary mentality"?

Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want to see the club go to oblivion, but I would rather a bit of exctiement than a go through the motions season year after year with little or nothing to get exctied about

Hayden (how did you manage to bat and post at the same time btw?) it''s not an either/or. 

As we have proved in the recent past, we can challenge for promotion without breaking the bank, no matter what Doomcaster and Co would like us to think.  We wouldn''t stay in the Prem for any length of time without substantial new investment, but personally I could live with being a yoyo club.  In purely financial terms it makes sense too, because of the parachute payments.

The essence of football is competition.  Without it there''s no point.  Any football fan worth their salt knows that, and will not keep on turning up out of blind loyalty if they think their club has no intention to compete.  Nor would we find it easy to attract sponsorship.  If we aimed to stay in mid-table against 23 other clubs with more ambition (but not necessarily more resources) than us, it could end in relegation and possibly deep financial trouble too

All I ask is that the club at least tries to punch its weight.

I''m a ''go for it now'' or ''go for broke'' type chap Hayden. Always have been, you''re a long while dead in my book. Sadly, the board are about prudence with prudence and then add yet more prudence to that!.

Enjoy the nine more years of mid table obscurity (or worse!) my friend.

Roller coaster every time for me. The ''ups'' are exciting and the ''downs'' are full of anticipation of the next ''up''...... He who dares and all that.......and personally I''m bored s***less with being prudent little old Norwich going nowhere.

Couldn''t agree more with you Cluck. Can''t remember being so bored with supporting Norwich. The board are very set in their ways and are quite happy to stay in this division, forever probably. Promotion was an "up" - but the board decided to turn it into a "down" by completely lacking any ambition or foresight, and continuously lableing us as "little Norwich" who can''t compete at the top level.

I do get the point of this post, obviously, but it does seem as though people are being a bit glib about the prospect of oblivion. If it is seriously posed as a fifty/fifty chance of either becoming an established premiership club or bottom of league 2/non-league club in bankruptcy with very little hope of a ''next up'', then I''m not so sure. I think for once you need to be more ''realistic'', Cluck[:D].  Oh the irony (this is a joke not a jibe by the way). 

Hey up Perm.....[:)]

If this isn''t a negative angle....I don''t know what is. So by taking chances and living on the edge a bit in your view, this can only bring gloom and dispair?....What about if it worked?

I know it''s risky....and I take your point entirely, but positive action is the only way to bring the circus back to Carrow Road. It''s never going to happen if we live in this constant fear and worry about failure all the time. Just look at the mountain of debt this so called ''caution'' has brought us......but had we maintained decent investment in the team during DS''s reign....we wouldn''t be where we are right now.

Fear of the future abounds at the club these days....and that really is a recipe for disaster......When running out onto the pitch thinking you will lose....there is only one outcome....you''ll lose. Until we shake off that "little old Norwich" psyche and go pro-active....we will remain in the doldrums and thus satisfied with mediocrity..........

Can we be a rocket for at least a few seasons?   One that has just taken off,  not falling back to earth though

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I''m a ''go for it now'' or ''go for broke'' type chap Hayden. Always have been, you''re a long while dead in my book. Sadly, the board are about prudence with prudence and then add yet more prudence to that!.

[/quote]

hehehe

You forgot to mention yet more prudence, upon more prudence, upon more prudence (repeat to fade) Wiz!!!

Sadly it has become all too apparent (apart from to the most foolhardy) that this club is going nowhere under the current set up).  You really have to start worrying when even Neil Adams starts to question where all the money is going on Radio Naarfalk!!!!

This club could compete on a level playing feild with NEARLY any other in the country if it had the AMBITION to do so.  Sadly until it starts to invest in quality players it has no chance of doing so....

The public wants to see a winning team (or at least a club that is doing it''s utmost to compete against whatever team it takes the field against).  Do Delia & Co actually imagine how sole destroying it is to the management, players and fans alike when all it hears from the top are one thousand and one reasons why we can''t compete at a higher level?  Do they actually think before they open their mouths to feed us yet another line of PR or CR Spin???

If we had any kind of success at all (by success I mean maybe a couple of seasons or so in the Premiership folowed by Yo-Yoing for a season or two but competeing for automatic promotion) and devloped the ground so that it could hold additional spectators then we could have 35,000 or even 40,000 bums on seats every week easily.

Of course you would have to invest a little more in both the team and the stadia, but just imagine the extra revenue that would be gained and how quickly you could pay those loans back with an additional 10,000 or 15,000 bums on seats each week.

You are lucky enough to have a public that is hungry for success and frankly you are not a club worthy of the fan base that it has.  Instead of allowing hotels to go up in the corner of the ground etc start listening to what your public wants (just a little success and entertainment on the pitch).  If not then either sell up some shares and move sideways or just pack your bags and head off in to the sunset...  NCFC was here before you and it will be here long after you leave!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

hehehe

You forgot to mention yet more prudence, upon more prudence, upon more prudence (repeat to fade) Wiz!!!

Sadly it has become all too apparent (apart from to the most foolhardy) that this club is going nowhere under the current set up).  You really have to start worrying when even Neil Adams starts to question where all the money is going on Radio Naarfalk!!!!

This club could compete on a level playing feild with NEARLY any other in the country if it had the AMBITION to do so.  Sadly until it starts to invest in quality players it has no chance of doing so....

The public wants to see a winning team (or at least a club that is doing it''s utmost to compete against whatever team it takes the field against).  Do Delia & Co actually imagine how sole destroying it is to the management, players and fans alike when all it hears from the top are one thousand and one reasons why we can''t compete at a higher level?  Do they actually think before they open their mouths to feed us yet another line of PR or CR Spin???

If we had any kind of success at all (by success I mean maybe a couple of seasons or so in the Premiership folowed by Yo-Yoing for a season or two but competeing for automatic promotion) and devloped the ground so that it could hold additional spectators then we could have 35,000 or even 40,000 bums on seats every week easily.

Of course you would have to invest a little more in both the team and the stadia, but just imagine the extra revenue that would be gained and how quickly you could pay those loans back with an additional 10,000 or 15,000 bums on seats each week.

You are lucky enough to have a public that is hungry for success and frankly you are not a club worthy of the fan base that it has.  Instead of allowing hotels to go up in the corner of the ground etc start listening to what your public wants (just a little success and entertainment on the pitch).  If not then either sell up some shares and move sideways or just pack your bags and head off in to the sunset...  NCFC was here before you and it will be here long after you leave!!!

[/quote]

"Are you listening Dee-li-ah?"

btw it isn''t even prudent in financial terms to aim for mid-table obscurity.  A single season in the Prem brought us a gross profit of over £9 million and £14.2 million in parachute payments.  Does anyone still believe that we "belong" in the Prem and if we can''t achieve that for more than a season or two then we might as well not bother?  Yoyo status would suit me just fine.

As long as the rollercoaster doesn''t run out of track or the wheels fall off when approaching what should be a exhilerating downward section I am up for it.

People keep comparing this to different things and I don''t get it.

People compare it to betting, gambling a little to win a little. And its interesting people make that analogy because the risk in gambling is that the more you risk the more you can win or loose and the people that tend to bet tend to loose more than they win else there would not be a buisiness for those bookies. To me that tells its own story.

The other problem is that the soundest advice is that you should never gamble with more than you are able to loose. Do that and not only can you no longer gamble but you face having to sell/pawn off heirlooms and belongings.

So as you can see untill we have a much bigger disposable income as a club I would like to think that the rollercoaster may only consist of a few less heady highs and lows. That may well be unfortunate but then you have the happy fun parks that are the likes of Man U, Chelsea or for a real up and downer with a few corkscrews try Liverpool if its the fun of the ride that your after!

Me personaly, its one day at a time when it comes to football. You don''t know what''s around the corner. Whether its a plane crash that wipes out half your team (unlikely now I understand) or a huge take over that rings the changes (Hearts) it is incredibly difficult to predict this game nor suggest that spending an extra £1million would send any team straight up the table.

Huckerby for example was not a gamble - he was a sure bet. There was no doubt that a player of his quality was needed to get the team in and around those play-off spots or more. £750k was a bargin. Problem is I don''t see anyone signing another player like that for that sort of money. Even average players cost that these days.