Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Will we see a return of the casual "pay on the day" supporter next season?

I think that we definitely will.

At the moment i am 75/25 in favour of not renewing my season ticket. I will most probably still go to every home game, this could end up costing me more in the long term i know but I feel that next season there will be alot of free seats that can be snapped up by on the day by casual supporters and i wish to become one of those.This is for various reasons.

1. I may not be in the country for the whole of next season as i may leave for work reasons.

2. I don''t want to have to make a financial commitment. I seem to now have several direct debits and standing orders drawing money out of my account for various reasons every  month and i would like to have control over a bit more of my finances. If i want to go to a game i can, but if money is tight, or if i want to say save for a holiday then i can abstain from going to matches and save the money.

3. I am dissillusioned with the way the direction this football club has taken since we won promotion. The main reasons being.

We were in the Premiership and had bought Dean Ashton the best young striker in the Premiership and it all could and should all have been so different.

The board then farted around with Worthington, for at least 4 months longer than they should have when it was plain for almost everybody to see that his time at NCFC was at an end. I still find the decision to keep Worthington on into this season incomprehensible and cannot beleive how completely out of touch and clueless our board have been.

We then hire Peter Grant, who may yet turn out to be a good manager but who i seriously suspect was given the job because the board liked him from his time here at the club as a player and they could be "pally" with him as they were Worthington. The right footballing decision would have been to get Tilson or Newell as i feel they were and still are safer bets than Grant.

The current Safri business is pissing me off now as well. I won''t committ myself to watching a midfield of Hughes, Robinson and Etuhu.

You can slate me if you want but of the season ticket holders i know i know of only a handful who are definitely renewing for next season.

Most fans are dissilusioned like me and this will be reflected in the big drop in season ticket renewals.

I think if the Board were going to sack Worthington they should have done it after we were relegated from the Premiership.  Imo finishing 9th last season made the Board delay the decision to sack Worthy until the start of this season.

Unless performances drastically improve during the second half of the season, I would have to agree that a lot of season ticket holders are not going to renew ttheir tickets for next season.  Supporters go to Carrow Road wanting to be entertained and the teams not doing that at the moment.

I wouldn''t blame anyone for not renewing their season ticket. If you no longer enjoy coming to Carrow Rd, it makes little sense to pay several hundred pounds for the privilege.We had this debate last year as well, but us fans somehow remained, me included. But I think this year''s renewals could be quite a different story. People will be asking themselves what is there to look forward to? Another season of Hughes, Robinson, Etuhu, Doherty and Thorne. While our better players like Safri warm the bench. Most of all, it''s the lack of effort and passion on the pitch that''s so dispiriting. Most of the players play like they simply don''t care about the team, or the club. Shameful really.Maybe that season ticket money should be spent on something more enjoyable to do on a Saturday afternoon.

I hope a significant amount of season ticket holders don''t renew for next season to allow for more casual sales. I speak to a lot of people who are frustrated because they can''t buy casual tickets for games, especially at this time of year when families like to go together at Christmas. In days gone by we could get a block of casual tickets together for days like Boxing Day but not anymore.

Of course part of the reason why we can''t is because of the ticketing policy of the club. All I hear is criticism of it on here but Norwich City season tickets are cheap! Work it out for yourselves how cheap it actually is to renew your ticket at the first stage and then pay interest free for 9 months! This is the envy of many clubs fans across the land. It''s also a policy that has cost the club money in 2 of the last 3 seasons, because we would undoubtedly have still filled the ground in our promotion and premiership seasons.

I will be renewing my ticket at the first available stage, as I imagine will thousands of others.

I believe that next season will see a big drop in season ticket renewals. I for instance shell out for a ticket for my grandson and myself and he definitely does not want to go next season. Many supporters who purchased 3-year deals at the commencement of our prem season will not renew when their ticket expires at the end of this season.

Because of the dross served up, a non ambitious board, the balls up with Worthington and the appointment of an inexperienced  gob as manager, who can blame anyone for keeping their cash in their pockets.

I expect that I will get some opposition for expressing these sentiments but what the hell, I’ll say it as I see it

Whilst it has been good having so many season ticket holders, it must have an effect on future support. Most youngsters cant afford season tickets and if their parents aren''t interested they are stuck. I certainly was in this boat as a teenager, but being able to get casual tickets meant I got the bug and attended more and more regularly. If I got fed up with the standard I would miss a couple and go again. This policy must erode those teenagers going and they are our future support.

Also whilst it gives the board a more stable income, the reductions in cost per game via season ticket, must reduce the profit made from the gates. A successsful side filling the ground with 10,000 casual tickets must make a lot more profit than 20,000 season ticket holders.

IMO it also breeds the poisonous atmosphere we have had over the last 12 months as people have to go as they have paid their hard earned money already and want to get the full use of it.

If we want to reclaim our ''roots''....then season ticket allocations should be slashed big time. Get back the school kids....students....pensioners and low paid working class supporters in order to bring back a worthwhile atmosphere. Too many ''trendy'' supporters satisfied with an afternoon out....and too many season ticket holders who are happy fiddling while Rome burns.

[quote user="Cluck in Boots"]

If we want to reclaim our ''roots''....then season ticket allocations should be slashed big time. Get back the school kids....students....pensioners and low paid working class supporters in order to bring back a worthwhile atmosphere. Too many ''trendy'' supporters satisfied with an afternoon out....and too many season ticket holders who are happy fiddling while Rome burns.

[/quote]

yes back to the good old days with gates of 16000 or less....far better to have 6000 for a league cup match....school kids / pensioners...atmosphere....yes lets recalim the cauldren of noise that was the south stand....the sound of flasks being opened and tartan rugs unfurlled...or even better ''come on Norwich'' in squeeky high pitched voices....you forget to mention those season ticket holders who are as bloody unhappy as anyone else at the current malaise of this club...

despite the Crap atmosphere some of the small crowds have seen some Crackers in the League cup that the majority of fans missed. I seem to remember a Cup Match against Blackpool where we drew 3-3. Iwan Hit the bar From a Penalty and there was a massive Brawl after Daryl Sutch chopped one of their players at the corner flag.. if it had happened in a League game we''d of been talking about that match for weeks!

I can also remember us ending up with 9 men against Oxford, and the Barclay giving Oxfords Mike ford, and the Referee Abuse that hasnt been heard in some games since!

And there was a league cup game Vs Wigan...

some good matches back in the days of 8000 (kids for a quid) crowds... wish we''d got bigger gates....some fans missed out on a treat.

jas :)

For health reasons, I gave up my Barclay season ticket, but I''m quite happy now to attend the odd game, although that means I''m not a real supporter in some fans eyes I guess.