Sign in to follow this  
Tufnell Park Canary

Scrimmage?

Dictionary definitions:-

1. Football. The contest between two teams from the time the ball is snapped until it is declared dead.

2. Sports. A practice session or informal game, as between two units of the same team.

3. A rough-and-tumble struggle; a tussle. A skirmish.

Number 1 is obviously an American football definition, but number 3 could apply to a few games I''ve seen (and played in) in my time.

From my oxford junior dictionary:
Scrimmage noun: tussle, confused struggle, brawl

Let''s hope Norwich''s days of confused struggling are far behind us now!
Up the canaries!

The word is a combination of scratch and image. It means to ostentatiously scratching your ''tackle''. In this context the word implies a certain nonchalance and arrogance, having the time and confidence to have a little scrimmage after throwing it in, but just before embarking on a splendid rush. Hope this is of some help.

Acording to the Oxford English dictionary a Scrimmage is

"A rough or confused struggle / Brawl"

or in american football "a sequence of play begining with the placing of the ball on the ground with its longest axis at right angles to the goal line"

I hope that clears it all up.

Well blacko, that''s what happens when you get into one too many scrimmages! Pretty cosy inside though, I have my own computer in my cell with internet access. Who says the government wastes its money eh?!
;)

I think everyone sings scrummage cos nobody has ever heard of a scrimmage. Spose we will just have to educate them all.
PS. Mr Fool Sir. Excellent post. Think your definition is far more entertaining.

Why thankyou Mr Frontman. I have to admit I''ll never hear the song in quite the same way again!