Sign in to follow this  
YGB

Andy Hughes

Was absolutly superb tonight played out of position at left back and dare i say it he looked worth £500k there: strong, good in air, good on the deck, knew when to play, knew when to launch it. In my opinion was man of the match tonight. He deserves this praises I think after all of the stick he gets off the fans. Well done andy! 

he does look quite a useful fullback and therefore a useful squad member, maybe there is a lot more to expect from him. Let''s give him all our support because you can''t doubt his effort and commitment.

Dispite him not being the most talented player in the world, with the thin squad we have Hughes in invaluable.

His versatility and commitment cannot be questioned. with a fully fit squad, I think he is a ''must have'' for the Dame Judy.

I like many others feared the worst when he went to left-back, but credit where credit is due, he did very well. Gave the odd ball away, but didn''t look out of place atall. Will be interesting if he plays there on Saturday if Drury is out.

I think Grant should consider converting him to a full back permanently. He will never have the skill to be a midfielder at this level but has the heart and determination to be a good defender. I can see him turning into a Danny Mills style ''put the opposing forward in the second row of the stands'' type full back. Good on him.

i wholeheartedly agree, thats why he still warrants a squad place, he is a good backup to come off the bench, but fair play to the guy he did an excellent job. thought fans were out of order booing his name being read out though.

a mate of mine is a reading fan and he said all his best games for reading were as a full back. maybe thats where we should play him from now on. i think he warrants keeping his place at left back if drury isnt fit on saturday, but then if he plays badly there the boo boys will have a field day again!

[quote user="YGB"]Was absolutly superb tonight played out of position at left back and dare i say it he looked worth £500k there: strong, good in air, good on the deck, knew when to play, knew when to launch it. In my opinion was man of the match tonight. He deserves this praises I think after all of the stick he gets off the fans. Well done andy! [/quote]

Couldn''t agree more he played excellently at full back. Disagree that he was out of position because there is no way he is a midfielder. Keep him there he does ok.

Did anybody see the QPR game?

If they did they would have seen that if the defence actually want to use the midfield and pass the ball to them Hughes can actually play well in midfield. The problem is at the moment the role he plays is mainly the ball winner - he is capable of more. 4-4-2 probably gives everybody a little more space and time so we should keep it.

As others have already said, credit where credit is due. Hughes really did play well at left back last night. Passing it out of defence well. Pushing on down the flank in support of Hucks. As well as doing his best to stop the crosses coming into our box.  Ok, in the middle he was as ordinary as ever, giving the ball straight to the Leceister strikers with his first pass, and causing mass panic in our defence. But considering how poor Drury has been of late, maybe Hughes putting in a decent display at full back will get him to buck his ideas up.

[quote user="baldyboy"]

thought fans were out of order booing his name being read out though.

[/quote]

Did this really happen?! If so, these "fans" should be utterly embarrassed and ashamed, there''s no excuse for that. Hughes is no great shakes, but nobody deserves their name booing before the game starts.

Unless it''s Akinbiyi or Marshall. Or Muscat. Or Dailly.

"Unless it''s Akinbiyi or Marshall. Or Muscat. Or Dailly."Or anyone thats ever played for ipswich.

yes i totally agree

he does not have the sufficient passing ability to be a first choice midfield player

i think he is just what you want from a full back, committed, solid tackler, stands his ground and good in the air

i say andy hughes is a full back from now on

and keep in in the squad for when injuries take over

if he can keep it up then keep him at left back.

He played better in 40 odd minutes than Adam Drury has all season.

get ready for a spell in the stiffs Adam!

jas :)

It would be interesting to see if he could cope against a nippy winger but last night he was superb. I think he doesn''t play so well in midfield because he''s not as quick a thinker as the likes of Saf but at the back he has a little more time to compose himself. His long passing was excellent last night - the 70 yard ball he played over the top to Thorne in the second half was superb.

Can only agree that Hughes performed well at full back - much better than he did in  midfield before the switch.

His booing before the game was totally unacceptable - and did happen.