Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

That Milk cup myth!!!!

im sure a few of u might of heard this story before.. i have done a few times, and have only just remembered ear wigging on a conversation on the train back from Ipswich the Other week.

One guy was telling his mate the supposed "tragedy" of the milk cup final when a Norwich supporter put his head out of the window of the train, only to lose it when a passing train came past in the other direction.

The guys mate obviously hadnt heard the story before and was interested in the facts etc... His mate told him the events we have all heard and ended up believeing it himself i think...

Anyway, the point im trying to get at is that theres so many people who tell this story who are convinced its true, yet the press and media make no mention of it on the day or afterwards, and there was no minutes silence either at the next game (that i know of). Also, everyone seems able to recount the story but no one can claim to actually being there.

So, was it some rouse cooked up by a drunken fan one night after our Wembley win? Or is there some Truth in the matter?

jas :)

Well not sure if it''s true or not. Hope not for reason obvious.

However I was on one of the many trains and we were held up for ages on one section. Still again that could be normal BR rail service at the time. Then again nothing much has changed under the new system.

Interested to know the truth as well Jas.

I’m not old enough to have been to the two Wembley appearances prior to 1985 but the incident you refer to happened on the way to one of them.  So I think you’ll find the year in question was either 1975 or 1975.

[quote user="Bury Green"]

I’m not old enough to have been to the two Wembley appearances prior to 1985 but the incident you refer to happened on the way to one of them.  So I think you’ll find the year in question was either 1973or 1975.

[/quote]

Sorry, changed to say 73 & 75

Unfortunetly it is true as I was on the train. I was 12 at the time.

He had a young wife and family and there was a collection for them at the next home game. So tragic.

I went and it is true, but not a supporter or on a train from Norwich, so thats why it didn''t get much press. We were held up for quite a while, but it was worth the wait as it was one of the most most memorable footballing days of my life. Not for the football, that was poor, but the atmosphere of the 96,000 fans ( it was called the friendly final) was brilliant. Oh those were the days!

I use to know the guy in question, and the saddest thing about this tale is the fact that he had an impressive hat collection.

[quote user="shyster"]

I use to know the guy in question, and the saddest thing about this tale is the fact that he had an impressive hat collection.

[/quote]

I don''t even get that one!

true about the 85 death was speaking to the guy''s parents last year before i went to a game rather humbling just got talking to them where you off to etc told them to watch the game and they told me the incident in full and how there son was an avid City fan

seems strange how some people say its true and others dont, how some place ti at different times and events etc...

guess thats how a story can get diluted over the years...

made for interesting reading anyway

jas :)

It is a true story and and it was me who arranged the collection.

By the end we had an eye, an ear, half a nose and a moustache.....not bad effort really. The donated teeth  unfortunately dropped out of a hole in the bag.............