Sign in to follow this  
Regime Change

Terry cahrged over Poll comments

I have just heard that John Terry has been charged with improper conduct by the FA following the comments he made ( he claimed Poll gave him conflicting reasons for his second yellow card) about Graham Poll following his sending off against Tottenham.

I now this has nothing to do with Norwich, but, this is something I find incredibly worrying.  Yes, referees and linemans have a difficult job to do, but, the standard of refereeing is appauling.  Referees get decisions blatantly wrong and are inconsistant, but, they are never made accountable.

Any player or Manager who appears to question the quality of refereeing gets slapped with a disrepute charge.  Imo rather than trying to stifle criticism, the FA should be trying to raise the standard of refereeing!

Yes, I absolutely agree.  There is distinct double standards applied by the FA when it comes to applying the letter of the law - any player or manager who does or says something wrong is made to account for themselves, whereas referees are not even obliged to talk about their decisions at all.  The sooner referees are interviewed following games to explain why they made the decisions they did the better, IMHO.

I see your point Sherlock, but it appears to me that Terry was just trying to stir the brown stuff by saying that Poll told him two different reasons for his sending off. As the ref and his assistants all have mics these days it would be easy to tell if this did happen or whether Terry was lying. The FA charge suggests to me that Terry was just trying to make Poll look bad, which lets face it he''s perfectly capable of doing himself!

All in all not exactly behaviour fitting of an England captain.

I can''t stand the way that Jose Mourinho got away with his recent attempts to victimise Graham Poll... Not to mention the numerous other referees of good standing that he''s defamated in European competition... So if his captain is starting to do the same, then all respect to the FA for nipping this in the bud. Next time I just hope his boss sees the same stick.As much as Poll, like many other refs, is guilty of blunders, this simply isn''t the way for players and managers to deal with the situation and will just end up undermining the authority of referees in doing their jobs. One of the things that has distinguished Poll as a top ref in this country is that he has always been the first to hold his hands up when mistakes are made, but with this constant barrage of attacks I can''t honestly see why he should bother when it''ll probably just fan the flames of the witch hunt..