Sign in to follow this  
the other malcy

Justin Fashanu memories

A friend and I are doing some research about Justin Fashanu. Has anyone any memories of him to share – both and on and off the pitch – for example I’ve no recollection of any chants or songs from the time. Those of us who supported NCFC at the time and indeed played with him (see Joe Royle’s autobiography!) have only good memories about the guy – including of course THAT goal.

So any thoughts and memories to share – perhaps some here even went to school with him in Attleborough – or were on stage with him at Theatre Royal where he performed as a boy!

I remember my brother''s (at the time) girlfriend meeting him at a party in the City once.  She had as much a clue about football as George Bush has about diplomacy.  Anyway, she asked him his name and when he told her she said ''That''s  a funny name, you don''t come from round here do you'' and then proceeded to ask him what he did for a job.

My best footballing memory of Justin was probably his great goal against Liverpool and his understated celebration along with a winning goal he scored against Leicester away from home.  Always seemed a really nice bloke with a level head when he was playing for us.  Him and the Kevin Reeves combination were deadly!

I remember a football chant for him. It simply went:

"Keep on scoring Fash-a-nu"

justin was a nice down to earth guy who always had the time of day for people, it was a bloody digrace how he was treated at the end, he will always be a mate to me and a hero to us old barclay enders.

he made one mistake in his career, that was going to forest to an intolerate clough when at the time he could have gone anywhere.

The man was a City legend simple as that.    He will be forever remembered for THAT goal - I was watching it again on You Tube the other day - brought a lump to my throat!

I remember watching a friendly between Downham Town and Norwich as a young kid in about 1980.  Being an inquisitive child I crept underneath the ''string barrier'' that was seperating the crowd from the pitch to get a better look, only to be knocked over by the linesman running down the touchline.  The next thing I heard was a voice saying "Are you alright mate?", I looked up to see Fashanu offering his hand out and then picked me up off the pitch. From that day on he became my favourite player and no matter what he got up to off the pitch Justin Fashanu will always be a Norwich legend as far as I''m concerned.

A top guy from a top family. I remember him & his brother running rings around the majority of us on the pitch & in the playground. A fairly quiet shy lad at school but came into his own on the pitch! To this day i dont know if the rumours are true or not but lets put it this way.....I didnt shower with him!

before my time im afraid, so have only seen videos of him but what i do know is that he was let down badly by Ol big Head Brian clough in his hour of need.. when it needed someone to support Justin and stand up the the bigots, homphobes and other dim wits who so criticised him it wasnt there... Clough was a respected man.. a feared man.. had he of spoken up in defence of Justin things could of been far different.

Incidentally, Justin passed away on the last day of the 1997/98 season, the same day as the man who played "Tosh" in the bill... it was Readings last game at Elm park against us.. Darel Russell made his city debut and i can remember the fans on the terraces chanting "justin, Justin Fashanu"

jas :)

[quote user="TwoSheds"]

A top guy from a top family. I remember him & his brother running rings around the majority of us on the pitch & in the playground. A fairly quiet shy lad at school but came into his own on the pitch! To this day i dont know if the rumours are true or not but lets put it this way.....I didnt shower with him!

[/quote]

Justin Fashanu is a Norwich legend. There weren''t ''rumours'' about Justin as he was gay and ''out''. I think the only footballer to be officially ''out'' to date. There must be hundreds of gay footballers yet it is unsurprising that they are forced to keep it to themselves given what happened to Justin. His suicide was a tragedy, but it was swept under the carpet somewhat at the time. Homosexuality is not accepted in football in any way shape or form. 

I''m not gay myself, but to me it doesn''t matter that Justin was gay and I''m disappointed that Two Sheds has felt the need to make the inevitable crap joke about gay men and showers. What makes you think he would have fancied you enough to proposition you in the showers anyway? [:)]

[quote user="Tufnell Park Canary"][quote user="TwoSheds"]

[/quote]

Justin Fashanu is a Norwich legend. There weren''t ''rumours'' about Justin as he was gay and ''out''. I think the only footballer to be officially ''out'' to date. There must be hundreds of gay footballers yet it is unsurprising that they are forced to keep it to themselves given what happened to Justin. His suicide was a tragedy, but it was swept under the carpet somewhat at the time. Homosexuality is not accepted in football in any way shape or form. 

I''m not gay myself, but to me it doesn''t matter that Justin was gay and I''m disappointed that Two Sheds has felt the need to make the inevitable crap joke about gay men and showers. What makes you think he would have fancied you enough to proposition you in the showers anyway? [:)]

[/quote]

It was a memory of some of my time spent with Fash & it was also a common joke we all use to share at school,Fash included! I certainly dont remember him being ''out'' as you would say at 14 & 15 but some pupils had there suspicions.Remembering that along with many other things that spring to mind brought a smile to my face & have been talking about him to my eldest boy all afternoon & some of the things i certainly couldnt mention on this board. Now if you want to swipe at posts may i suggest you go to the worthy in out grant out in bla bla bla posts!

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]

The man was a City legend simple as that.    He will be forever remembered for THAT goal - I was watching it again on You Tube the other day - brought a lump to my throat!

[/quote]

Just watched it now myself..quality.

Here''s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCt1dGrK2E

I now see where Etuhu got his celebration style from.

He was a great striker for City....and had he stayed with us all that happened after may have been avoided. A move was inevitable though....and the pressure crushed him.

I came across him at Torquay several years later when he was trying to make a come back. A genuine, lovely bloke and very kind to everyone around him...Unfortunately being ''nice'' out there is not the way to go....and the ''hangers on'' basically finished him off.

Goes down in my book as a City legend anyway......

Watching that goal still sends a literal shiver of pride down my back everytime i see it...absolutely bloody fantastic....the only other City goal that comes close is Flecky''s stunner at Millwall in the 3-2.

I had the pleasure of meeting Justin when he was a raw-boned apprentice. Like many of his ''not well off'' youth team mates he used to finish training and go to CEYMS, a social club, in the city (above where Pilch Sports used to be) for a soft drink, a hot pie and a game of snooker. He was unfailingly polite and well mannered, indeed he used to go and see my Mum and Dad who had stalls on the market most midweek days and always offered to get them a cup of tea or offer to help with any heavy lifting.

Justin was catapulted ino the limelight, as a model and football star. He was never (in my opinion) truly at ease but ''Fash'' certainly lived the part.

His brother Jon was on  soccer coaching course I attended and he''s another source of stories and anacdotes.

Justin -RIP