Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Worthy - We WILL go up....

What does everyone make of that???

Will it spur us on?

Will it make everyone try harder to knock us down

Is it Worthy just ''coming out fighting'' or has he just heaped a load more pressure on his shoulders?

With Megson putting a block on players talking to the press, Warnock and McCarthy sounding off, has he fallen into the trap?

Let the mind games begin....

A very very bold statement to make and just a little bit of extra pressure put onto the players shoulders, its all hotting up nicely aint it.

The proof of the pudding will be on the pitch on Saturday. In the final analysis, it does not matter what any of these managers say to the media. That''s just window dressing. beelsie identified very well on another thread what is required of the players and, as long as Nigel''s message is consistent with that approach (.e. much more positive football ) and the players go for it, we will see good results over the next few games.

This is scary stuff, smacks a little of Keegan in 96 don''t people think? I can''t help thinking McCarthy, Colin and Polly Pardew will all be going "gottcha" to themselves!!

If we don''t win on Saturday and others gain ground, it''s going to look foolish!

Bang on A1, then see the brown stuff hit the fan. I''m starting to have doubts now, this is just the sort of comment I did''nt want to hear from NW.

Wiz, I usually try to be positive as you know, but in this case I agree entirely. This is the last thing I wanted to hear right now.

Have faith guys! I don''t think what Worthy has said is necessarily a bad thing. I''d much rather he came out and said he''s got confidence in the lads and thinks we''ll go up than say he and the lads are feelin the pressure and getting a bit nervous. I''d like to think that the players will be pleased. A manager coming out and saying he has faith in his squad has to be a good thing. He''s not being arragant about it. I have confidence.

I was surprised to hear this, but if we can''t get wins against the likes of Stoke, Burnley, Walsall, Watford, Preston or Crewe, we really don''t deserve to go up.

Making this statement I think NW is trying to calm the fans nerves while building up the players morale at the same time.

It is a little concerning that he hasn''t brought any defensive cover in on loan though

I''m setting out my stall at the positive fair. if worthy says we''re going up, then he''s in a better position than us to make assumptions. there''s no way he''d come out with a comment like that just because of what the chasing pack managers are saying. he doesn''t need to. our position speaks for itself. if we don''t go up, then he''ll have egg on his face, and i guarantee you that''s not going to happen. i hear he''s allergic to eggs.

Im with worthy all the way on this. Its a very bold statement to make but it may just be what the players need to hear right now. Knowing that the gaffa has every confidence in them may help them relax and get back to playing the sexy football we know they are capable of.

On another note, i see there was still no news about Brennan. Abbey and Drury are the only injured players mentioned so we can only assume he is fighting fit but totally out of favour.

Positive attitude, postive results. I bet Worthy''s just as worried as all of us but it''s confidence not cockyness. Worthy''s just got faith in our players, from the look of most of the comments on here I would doubt that many of you have that same faith. We Just need to get behind the boys. Bit of encouragment and all that. Like at Palace, the chants of IWAN can''t have done Svennson too much good. How about a cheer for Svenson once in a while, Don''t think there''s a song for him. I''m sure that faith and encouragment is all our players need. Keep it up city.

I''ve waited a few hours to comment on this one as I wanted to see what reaction Worthy''s statement provoked in me. Well, I''m surprised, but I actually feel much better for it - not as nervous about tomorrow as I know I would normally be. Perhaps the positive vibes he''s trying to exude will spread onto the pitch tomorrow and we will try to grab the game by the scruff of the neck rather than spend a half or more ''earning the right to play''. On reflection, I think it''s the only way to go now, with just six weeks and nine games to go. Absolutely no point in thinking or saying anything else. Ok, it might all go wrong and he knows that, having made the comments, he will not look very smart if it does, but at least he is building up our team and not trying to knock others, as someone else said above. This is the time when Worthy is really earning his money. I wouldn''t want to be in his shoes right now, but I applaud him for what he has achieved so far and for all his efforts in these six weeks yet to come. It will not be easy, but I believe we can do it if we all have a bit of faith and stick together. (That''s been the one defining quality we have had head and shoulders above other teams this year - togetherness - and that''s what we need now, more than ever).

People just don''t like Svensson. In the same way that a lot of people just DON''T like Worthy.

Maybe it''s the silver boots...

I like Svensson! And i wouldn''t have another manager than NW. But back to topic, the guy never does things without thinking about them carefully first so it''s obviously a calculated tactic in all the mind games. It makes me nervous and someone said he was trying to calm the fans but i think this thread shows it has had the opposite effect! But i''m going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, see what happens in the coming games.

And meanwhile, lets try and be as un ''edgy'' and noisy as possible at the games (even if Walsall is the only game i can get tickets for at the moment!!!)

Good for worthy.. lets back him and the team to the hilt... make it the best atmosphere weve had this season... give whatever team he picks a goal start, and drown Stoke in a sea of positive karma!!!

At the end of the day he is just saying what we all believe to be true, isn''t he? so why knock him for being positive, I live abroad and have been telling all my mates [who are supporters of other clubs] exactly the same thing, ok there could be a lot of egg on faces if it goes wrong but I honestly don''t believe it will nor do I believe such a statement from Worthy adds more pressure, it''s faith he''s showing - nothing wrong with that!!

Agree A1. NWs carefully timed statements - permanent managers job, longer contract, open the purse strings etc have all reaped dividends for himself and the club in the past, and I have complete faith in him again on this occasion.

I think he''s said all the right things...it made feel more positive and it can only inspire the boy''s now,GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was surprised by worthys comments. He does not seem to be the type to go mouthing off but reading Gary Holts comments he says it has settled the team and instilled some confidence. If this is the case then it can only be seen as a good thing.

I am just worried that it can turn into one of those things that can make you look foolish if it does go "Pete Tong" in a Kevin Keegan esq style.

On to Svensson. I''m not really convinced myself. I asked Charlton fans opinions via the 606 message board. There opinion was that he trys hard but lacks the ability. I''m reserving judgement till I see him a few more times. I just hope the addicks are incorrect.

I can''t stop myself mulling over this one, trying to decide what his thinking is in saying it. I''ve decided that it''s to make the team face up to, and deal with, the bald facts. That is, they are top of the table and they are staring promotion in the face. They need to confront that, stare back at it and come to terms with it, rather than looking away from it, muttering something into their shoes about one game at a time and treating the ''p'' word like a rude word! Unlike at the beginning of or part way through the season, when you know less about how the team will perform (are you listening Joe?), we''re now within touching distance, so it''s ok to stand up now and say "yes, there it is, right in front of us, we''re not scared of it, that''s want we want. We''re in the position to get it and we''re gonna go for it." It''s a mentality shift that i think he''s seeking. It''s a calculated gamble for sure, but this has been our lucky season for us so far so lets hope it has the desired effect!
Still shaking,
A1

Stop shaking A1, start singing and shouting - right from the start tomorrow.

Have faith, Nigel is right, we WILL go up.

He''s an astute manager, and what he''s said is geared to giving the team and supporters a lift. He''s maintaining his dignity, and not slagging off other teams, like Colin and Mr Potato Head and others. He isn''t the only one who believes we''ll get promoted - Ian Dowie and Andy Hasenthaler have recently said it too.

Get behind the lads for the remaining games, have patience if we don''t score in the first twenty minutes, and sing your heart out.

Believe!!!!!!!

a1canary, i think you are bang on... It''s a way to say to the players, you have work hard, you have focused one match at the time, but now here is the reward, "Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel?". It''s a bit like distance running: time for the sprint..

NW has also done all his home work: 5 wins out of 9 is the target.. It''s now mission impossible for teams like West Ham, I###h, Reading and Palace to gain 85 pts.

And any other contestant( WBA, Sheffield, Sunderland, Wigan, Millwall) putting a run of 7 or more wins will force any of the above to drop points. Specially as play offs places are contested between potentially 12 teams)

As GazzaTCC said it : "If we cannot win against the teams we are playing next then we do not deserve to go up..."

So I say well done NW for your positive approach for the final sprint...

Well said Fog, now''s the time to start really believing and get RIGHT BEHIND THE TEAM ON SATURDAY. I shall be metering out some right Royal punishment if I hear anyone moaning on Saturday.
Worthy''s right in his EEN column - we are a good squad, better than most in this division on paper and better than all in this division in terms of team spirit and fans. What''s also great is hearing the players saying ''let''s go for it''. There isn''t anyone we can''t beat, so let''s be their 12th player on Saturday! COME ON!

OTBC

Well, as i admitted, i was nervous about Worthy''s uncharacteristic "we will go up" foray into the mind game arena but now it looks like yet another superbly timed, superbly judge master stroke that has gently nudged the yellow and green juggernaut back on to the tracks. I REALLY do believe him now, it has to be in the bag! Can the man do no wrong? At this rate i wonder how long it will be before the big boys come sniffing around our Nige?