Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

EARNSHAW SHOULD LEAVE WITHOUT RESENTMENT

When January comes and a relegation threatened Premiership Club makes Norwich an offer they cannot refuse for Earnie he should be allowed to go without resentment.

Remember Dean Ashton? Took a big pay rise then proceeded to miss a series of early season sitters, pine over his fitness and eventually sulk his way out of the Club.

Earnshaw has been the same character from day one, accessible to the media, honest and respectful to the Club and fans. He wants to be in the Premiership no doubt and has seen the side around him this season stutter and disappoint all too often, he has seen the manager who bought him leave, he has seen and heard crowd unrest but still celebrates goals as if they were winning cups.

I believe Grant is desperate to gain every point possible before January (hence his disappointment spilling over after the Hull game) because he knows a challenging league position is an argument he can present to the Board to retain his best players and invest in others.

I fear Earnie will go, and he will make Norwich a huge financial return in doing so, and with his goals and attitude he should be marked down as a special player who should never be resented for moving on and kept in high esteem for his honesty.

Excellent post and I quite agree that Earnshaw might be leaving in January. There must be prem clubs keeping tabs on him. However, while I was sure of this with Worthy in charge, I have more faith the Grant with be able to convince hime to stay.

If we get a decent set of results in December then we could easily be in the playoffs - this would be crucial to him staying IMO.

Trouble is i can already detect from Grant''s comments that he thinkls earmnie may be sold by the board. He always says something to the effect that "I would not sell him but it may not be my decision."

If he goes it must be for big money and we must have 2 or 3 lined up to come in immediately.

Both points and position wise, we are considerably up on where we were last year, plus with a new manager, some sort of transfer budget, and a couple of quality players to come back into the side.

If we have a decent run leading up to the transfer window opening, then we should not only be able to keep who we''ve got, but add to it too.

I know we had a good December last season, but this time we''re already up on where we were last time around.  Hopefully the end result will different too [:)]

Very well written.

To be honest before Earnie came to Norwich I didnt know what sort of person he would be. But his attitude has been absolutely first class, his enthusiasm has never waned despite crowd unrest, and his performances are still of a high quality.

Would hate to see him leave, but if he does then he would leave with my best wishes.

I don''t think he will go to relegation threatened clubs - he has been there and done that and he could only get a couple of months of prem football before having to come back down and half of next season in the Championship.

There are a few teams I think could do with a striker like him in the top half of the table as well as some that are more established or shall we say safer in the bottom half of the table.

For example - Blackburn, Man City, Middlesborough, could do a job for Bolton, Wigan maybe, Villa. I don''t think there are many teams this season that are ablaze with goal scoring strikers and Earnshaw is surely a decent option having regularily scored goals at this level and even when he came off the bench in the prem.

However - I am not overly convinced he will leave that easily!

A lot depends where we are in January. If we are in the top seven or eight it may be enough to persuade him to stay until the end of the season, especially if we play 4-4-2.

However, on balance I will still expect him to leave. Earnshaw didn''t get too excited about coming here, but you can''t fault his commitment atall. There is a lack of quality strikers around at present, so when a lower Premiership club comes in for him - which they will - I will expect him to move for around £5M. I think that will be the NCFC bottom line.

Don''t expect a massive profit though, because there won''t be one. I just hope the club have their eyes on a replacement, because if they don''t...

Good post Rudolph but I have a feeling that Earnie will still be at Carrow Road come February.

My main reason for optimism ( blind faith ? ) is that the player himself seems quite content here, unlike Dean Ashton. Secondly do the Board really want to further alienate supporters by selling the man scoring so regularly ?

Why not wait a few months to find out in which division we''ll be in next term ? By that time Earnie will probably have banged in another hatful and increased his value as a '' saleable asset ''.

[quote user="komakino"]Don''t expect a massive profit though, because there won''t be one.[/quote]I kind of agree with that... And it''s the main reason why I think the club may end up hanging on to him (in January at least). I''ve got a niggling feeling that Earnie, rightly or wrongly, has a stigma attached that he''s tried and failed to make the breakthrough at Premiership level at West Brom and would therefore represent a "gamble" for any club that came in for him. IMO he''s worth more than 5 million to Norwich, and at that price I''d hope the board would have the guts to keep him...  We certainly couldn''t replace him for that kind of money, and I''d say he''s a lot more valuable to us in this division than Ashton ever was, so why accept less money for him?The only reason I''d excuse the club for letting him go is if Earnie himself wants the transfer... But right now I can''t see him wanting to leave so desperately in January. Another thing to be remembered is that the guy just loves to play every week so, even if the likes of Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Villa, Newcastle came in with a bid, I still see him asking serious questions given his negative experience warming the bench every week at West Brom.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Why not wait a few months to find out in which division we''ll be in next term ? By that time Earnie will probably have banged in another hatful and increased his value as a '' saleable asset ''.

[/quote]

The thing is, if we didnt get promoted this season, other clubs will know our parachute payments have run out and Earnie''s value will drop at least a million in my book. Clubs in general pay more during the winter break as well, especially for a player such as this.

However I would want us to do our best to keep him. Without him (And assuming a suitable replacement isnt found) we are going nowhere.

Some interesting points here. As others have said, it will depend on which particular club comes in for Earnie, and how much they offer. I''d be sad to see him go because he''s a reliable goal scorer, pure and simple, and they are pretty rare.The offer would need to be large enough to enable Norwich to buy an adequate replacement (who would that be?). Plus the club making the offer would need to be an established Premiership side, who could offer Earnie first team football. I can''t see him wanting to get relegated with Sheff Utd, Watford or Charlton. Or sitting on the bench at Blackburn or Middlesborough.Maybe a small cash-rich team like Wigan? Who have the dosh, can consistently offer a starting place, as well as the promise of Premiership footy for another season and a half at least. Maybe a desperate, under-performing big club like Newcastle or Man City? We will see...

We certainly don''t need to sell him next month - as PG says, it will be down to him. But if we don''t it might be better to hang on to him through the summer and let him go in Jan 08 and take advantage of the better fee that can me commanded then.

Whatever happens, the guy has been aweseome, a real credit to himself and its no surprise to find that he was much appreciated by fans at his previous clubs, eventhough he fell out with Robson.What''s more, not many would agree that he''s a better player than Ashton - the transfer fees reflect that, but the fact is, he is a consistent goalscorer, more so than Ashton. And he is scoring for fun now in what at times has been a POOR side, which is all the more impressive. And for me, that makes him every bit as valuable to us as Ashton was.

Yes, well said.  God knows where we''d be this season without his goals - we''d have less penetration than a drunken eunuch.

Of course, suppose he''s happy to stay...

January, too close to February..........February = season ticket renewal time..........

The board will retain Earnie to maintain the sale of the lucrative and in demand, season tickets, "buy now to avoid disappointment - you bestest betterer than any other fans, we are moving forwards and onwards and upwards!" (for a bit).

"We are proud to announce that Earnshaw has commited himself to NCFC" (till the close-season at least)..Then, they''ll either state in the summer that: "We tried to retain his services but, we/Earnie - felt that it would be in the best interest for us/him to move to pastures new..Etc, etc. Didn''t want to hold his career back, pulled out all the stops to no avail.......ZZZzzzzz.

Thought provoking and interesting post. But, always the cynic that I am the board blagged their way through the Ashton debacle and his predictable and eventual move. Same, same.. .ship him out - and replace him with someone else. Everything has a price. .and we just have to go along with it. I certainly wouldn''t bear a grudge against Earnie if he went, deja vu, c''est la vie! 

I may be setting myself up for all kinds of abuse here for my second hand information but around sept/oct time last year I was playing for a team in Bedford where some of the lads were close friends of Callum Davenport who incidently would be one of my first choices to bring in this Janruary,but acording to them Dean Ashton was a "done deal"  at the time I laughed it off but they were very sure of it. Rob Earnshaw is a very diffrent character to Dean and in a totally diffrent age bracket,I just hope he shows a similar sort of loyalty to Norwich as he did to Cardiff.

[quote user="pickle79"]I may be setting myself up for all kinds of abuse here for my second hand information but around sept/oct time last year I was playing for a team in Bedford where some of the lads were close friends of Callum Davenport who incidently would be one of my first choices to bring in this Janruary,but acording to them Dean Ashton was a "done deal"  at the time I laughed it off but they were very sure of it. Rob Earnshaw is a very diffrent character to Dean and in a totally diffrent age bracket,I just hope he shows a similar sort of loyalty to Norwich as he did to Cardiff.[/quote]

Your last comment actually hit the nail on the head. If Earnie wants to stay, he will. If he throws his toys out of the pram, Ashton style, he''ll be on his way. End of.

I think Earnshaw has been a diamond since joining us. Maybe not the best ''footballer'' in the world...but he has done everything he could during a difficult phase at the club.

Whether he stays or goes...he has my respect. Good luck to him.

One of the strangest things about the whole acquisition of Earnshaw is that he came here for (for Norwich) a massive fee, no doubt on good wages to join a small squad in a rut and with a manager under pressure and a Club who, for some considerable time, have been unable to sign good quality players (no right back for absolutely ages remember) for sensible money like just about every other Club in the league.

It''s like having gold bath taps but no dumpster to  pee in.

How on earth does a Club like Norwich end up buying an Earnshaw and offering 2 million for a teenager but fail to build a solid squad with a bit of strength in depth to put players under pressure? We have to play a formation which suits a freaky squad and play players out of position.

I suspect Grant shops at B&Q for his DIY requirements whereas Worthington bought luxury accesories from Harrods to embelish a job lot from the £1- store.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

One of the strangest things about the whole acquisition of Earnshaw is that he came here for (for Norwich) a massive fee, no doubt on good wages to join a small squad in a rut and with a manager under pressure and a Club who, for some considerable time, have been unable to sign good quality players (no right back for absolutely ages remember) for sensible money like just about every other Club in the league.

It''s like having gold bath taps but no dumpster to  pee in.

How on earth does a Club like Norwich end up buying an Earnshaw and offering 2 million for a teenager but fail to build a solid squad with a bit of strength in depth to put players under pressure? We have to play a formation which suits a freaky squad and play players out of position.

I suspect Grant shops at B&Q for his DIY requirements whereas Worthington bought luxury accesories from Harrods to embelish a job lot from the £1- store.

[/quote]

Why did we sign Earnshaw?  Three little words . . . Season. Ticket.  Renewals.

The real issue is: Who really decides who we sign, the manager or the board (viz. Steve Howard)?

The thing is though, Meg, for a transfer to happen three parties have to agree: buyer, seller and player.

We get a Welshman to the other side of the country to play for an ''unfashionable'' Club but cannot seem to otherwise attract players and get told it is things like our geographical situation etc.

To me the whole thing doesn''t ring true; if we can land Earnie then we could land plenty of other good players too but we fumble along with an imbalanced and below the surface weak outfit with the inherent attitude problem that comes with a lack of competition.

The acid test for Grant is to prove he gets the players in to his team/squad plan. January will be his examination. I expect to lose headline players but there are plenty of other good players out there and for me the team is always the most important thing. Look at Reading, you don''t need stars if you have a well blended and balanced team.

Norwich have relied too heavily on Huckerby for too long. We have been one dimensional and easy to shut down.

Earnshaw himself has conducted himself like a proper pro. With all he has had to put up with he deserves our appreciation and should he leave he is entitled to respect.

Couple of points Rudolph. One, it is a bit naive to suggest that all three parties have to agree a transfer. Maybe in the 1960''s, but not now. If a club really wants to sell a player, he is sold - whether that player wants to go or not. Period. Think Andy Linighan, one amongst many...

Secondly, Norwichs geographical location has always been a problem. Just because Earnshaw didn''t mind coming here doesn''t mean that other players feel the same. Of course, they may not have a choice in the matter as I have suggested, but footballers aren''t the most intelligent of species - they would look at the map and think ''I''m not going there''.

It''s a pity, but this problem will always remain I feel.

With all due respect Komakino I think you''ve got point one the wrong way round.

As for point two I think access to family is the main issue for a lot of players but with the availability of flights around the UK I cannot see why geography is such an issue.

After seeing the club accounts last week, I would think that the Board will be very open to selling Earnie if a big enough bid comes along.

As someone has already pointed out, if and when it happens, it will have all the usual accompanying spin about "...not wanting to retain a player who wants to leave"..., "...offered him a new deal...", "...in the end, we had to do what was best for Norwich City football club..." etc etc-I think they must have a book of quotes in the Boardroom somewhere!

Which will be followed by "...we have made lots of calls...clubs just don''t want to sell players at this time of the year..."-well, except us it would seem!

The marker will be if Earnie plays against Tamworth, or if he has a mysterious "injury" and has to miss out.

But yes, he has been a delight since he came here. Scores goals, always available for the media, is positive and upbeat about everything, so what if he saw us as a stepping stone, at least he''s done/is doing what he is paid to do whilst he is with us. He is a likable chap as well, witness that, whenever he goes back to Cardiff or WBA, he always gets a great reception. Would think that will happen when, one day-and I suspect it might even be Cardiff if they go up- he returns here in another shirt.

Mind you, it does make you think what a combination Ashton and Earnie might have been!

As for replacements, I would think Riordan is the more likely-but it depends on who else wants him. If a player has a choice of 3-4 clubs, then, unlike Hucks, he is unlikely to have us near the top. Geographical location, recent history, current form, reputation-clubs like Derby and Southampton would rank above us on that criteria. I rather suspect whoever does come in in January will be someone who hasn''t been mentioned before.

I think regarding Earnshaw the board will think long and hard before he is allowed to leave.

Regardless of what money we would get for him I think any deal that saw him leave would only be done if a replacement of a quality standard was definitely coming in. Failure to replace him with a goal score that doesn''t the get you 10-12 goal could be disastrous.

Over the last 12 months we have struggled to attract players of a high enough standard to our club. I would think that without a striker capable of netting 10 goals minimum between January and the end of the season given the state of our team as a whole we would be in danger of being dragged in to a relegation battle.

Where would we be now without his goals. Not the heady heights of 15th that’s for sure.

Who will come to a team going nowhere fast. It''s a worry but surely one the board will be aware of!

In theory Rudolph I agree with you on the flights issue. With the money footballers earn - and Norwich pay the upper end of the Championship wage scale - you would think players wouldn''t mind a bit of inconvienence, but I think overall where we are doesn''t do us any favours. That said, when we do manage to get players to come to Norwich, they tend to love the place. Typicial.

However, I see friends from much larger cities who often remark that Norwich is the place they would ''like to retire to''. Maybe Norwich has got an image problem to a degree and some footballers feel the place is beneath them?

As for Earnie, I''ve heard he is on £15K a week. Anyone else heard this figure being bandied about?

Im of the opinion Earnshaw will leave.. even if we got 11 new players in january the backup just isnt good enough!

injuries or suspension will see the usual Robinsons etc back in the team and they arent good enough to sustain a promotion push.

Earnshaw might want to stick around, but the board will realise we aren''t going up (most people saw that in October!!!) and will cash in on him and hucks in what they will deem to be a "slow rebuilding" process.

If he does stick around till the end of the season then i think he will go in the summer anyway... because he is getting to an age where playing in the lower reaches of the championship (or even league 1) wouldnt do his career any good at all.. Earnie is 26 isnt he? a 2 year deal at a struggling Norwich team will take him to 28, nearly 29... by then, depending on how low we are.. will depend what sort of club comes in for him.

he might just decide to cut his losses and play in the premiship whilst he can enjoy a few years up there instead of a few years being P***ed on as part of "little Norwich" and who can blame him?

jas :)