Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Grant's attack on Chris Gorham

Listening to the post match interview on Radio Norfolk. Peter Grant appeared to end the interview with the comment ''that''s why i do what i do, and you comentate, as Chris Gorham challenged the formation. Did anyone else hear it? Is PG alienating the press as well as the loyal fans?

yeah I heard it and thought it was a really arrogant comment to make. Goram hardly asks probing questions as it is and why we played such a negative formation was what everyone needed to know the answer to.

It seems Grant cant be civil afer a game we''ve lost and has to blaim someone, anyone but himself. Apparently he was gutted that we did not win, thought a draw was unfair on us! Having sat through the match commentry I can only recall one shot on target I''m afraid I just can''t see where he''s coming from. You could write down the "Norwich nil" part of the scoreline at the start of the game with tactics like that. 

Maybe he would be better sending someone elce out to talk to the press, he''s getting on my wick. 

[quote user="james norwich"]Listening to the post match interview on Radio Norfolk. Peter Grant appeared to end the interview with the comment ''that''s why i do what i do, and you comentate, as Chris Gorham challenged the formation. Did anyone else hear it? Is PG alienating the press as well as the loyal fans?[/quote]

I was in my car stuck in the Norwich traffic when I thought I heard the same James.

I''m getting mighty sick of  ''Peter The Gob'' now. He''s worthless Mk.II in my book, its always someones else''s fault never his, and as you rightly say, apart from upsetting the fans he now appears to be doing the same to the media.

God I hope he''s sacked soon!

Its all in the manner - Strachan says exactly the same sort of thing but is loved for it... 

I heard those comments it started with Chris Goreham saying that we were playing 4 - 5 -1 which Grant retorted that I don''t see how a team with Huckerby, Earnshaw isn''t an attacking team. Grant seemed to be upset that we hadn''t won although we never appeared to test their keeper.

Well it''s the players, then the fans now the commentator oh well it''s a good job it isn''t Grants fault.

Got to admire Chris for his brave questions after a defeat. But Grant maybe was using his dry Scots wit

Don''t forget it was Chris Goreham who was told by Worthy that he didn''t care what the fans thought and now Worthy doesn''t manage

Yep heard it too....Gorham was only saying what everybody else thought ie that we were defensive and were clearly playing 4-5-1 so what planet Grant was on is anybodys guess!!!! I for one am getting just a little fed up with all his talking but very little has changed.......don,t give me all that ( it,s not his team crap ) because when he came he was full of how we were going to play "on the front foot" and not " be afraid " well you don,t need to bring players in for that just change the tactics and motivate them ........so what has happened Grant? it was not the fans fault against Hull and Gorham was more right than you today.......so keep your gob shut and get on with what you said you was going to do....if you know how?

We need to get good old Richard Balls on the case! He won''t pussyfoot around with namby pamby questions! He''d ask stuff like "What''s the point of Peter Thorne?" I wish someone would ask people at the club some proper questions. I''ve got one [I] What''s the point of playing our only fit centreforward at centrehalf? And a similar question for the board - What was the point in not spending on a targetman in the summer?

If Chris Gorman had phrased his question differently maybe one of my questions would be answered!

My word people are gettin picky now.....he challenged Gorehams comments, is that a crime? Name me a scot who doesnt speak his mind! i am getting fed up of this whole anti Grant thing, either we back him or sod off.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Its all in the manner - Strachan says exactly the same sort of thing but is loved for it... [/quote]

Who by ?    apart from Grant that is .....   ochawawiye

Well it sure was not the supporters fault this week was it Peter!

Gorham accused Norwich of being negative and the amount of shots on goal do seem to suggest that. But Grant did not seem to like that comment hitting back with a team that includes Huckerby and Earnshaw cannot be negative. But surely it all depends on the game plan and how the manager sends the team out to play.

Once Sunderland scored then it was all panic stations. Bit like a scene from Dads army with Dublin thrown forward with Peter Thorne and Hughes filling in at the back. I say it was negative. And some what clueless at the end. If you dont score goals you dont win games. It is asking for trouble to go to a place like Sunderland and just hope that the opposition do not score.

Too much talk Mr Grant and not enough action, and too many leaves being borrowed from Mr Worthingtons note book it seems to me at moment.

I was very suprised as I listened to the interveiw. It is not a good idea for Grant to start alienating the people he needs on his side. Concentrate on the team and trying to get some flair passion and goals out of them.  

There is a danger here that PG is becoming the most vocal and passionate manager we have had since dear old John Bond.  Overall it IS to early to judge PG on his ability as a manager.  What is not in doubt is his will to win and inability to take any defeat gracefully.  The man speaks with passion, all of us posters do likewise, and long may he do so.  Judging by some comments on these forums all connected with the club are doing a pretty good job of alienating each other. I don''t disagree with PGs'' right to speak as he does but he will have to take it back.

Chris Goreham was right to ask about our formation, especially as PG stated at the start of his reign he wanted the team to play with no-fear and wouldn''t be content to hang on to a 1-0 score but would encourage them to go forward in search of a second.  A 4-5-1 formation is by its very nature defensive as you start out ot clog the midfield and work from there.  The fact that we allegedly have 5 in midfield shows that PG has as much faith in the individual and collective ability of our current midfielders as most of us do.  However I query the reading of this formation as I cannot include Huckerby as a midfielder.  He is not a forward either.  He is increasingly becoming a luxury entertainer who, when on form, thrills the crowd with his ability to beat players and run fast and then either score, deliver a pinpoint cross, or a defence splitting through ball.  Currently about one of these three in every 4 games.  So no we weren''t playing 4-5-1, we were playing 4-4-1 + Hucks.  and this is from someone who has up until recently defended Hucks. 

Onward and upward!!!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]My word people are gettin picky now.....he challenged Gorehams comments, is that a crime? Name me a scot who doesnt speak his mind! i am getting fed up of this whole anti Grant thing, either we back him or sod off.[/quote]

im sorry but grant is digging himself a big hole,if fans are not happy then they have every right say what they think,ythe fans pay good money .

and if you think this is doing norwich city and himself any good then think again.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]My word people are gettin picky now.....he challenged Gorehams comments, is that a crime? Name me a scot who doesnt speak his mind! i am getting fed up of this whole anti Grant thing, either we back him or sod off.[/quote]

So....we either ''back him or sod off'' do we?

Doesn''t work like that....and if he doesn''t pull his finger out soon...he will be the one to ''sod off''. If enough of us eventually do ''sod off'' however (and it will happen)...... what do we have then? A Darlington? A Blackpool?  A ''sod all''?

Like I''ve said before...WE are what makes this club tick over...not Grant. He works for US as fans....and DS relies on US to keep her afloat. Time to start making some serious demands....and we won''t see any genuine action until we show we are not going to be taken for mugs any longer......

Whilst I may not always particularly care for some of Grant''s comments, the content of his post match interviews is so much better than the usual drivel we had to put up with from Worthy for the best part of six years.

Give the man a break.

Dear old dear hardly crime of the centry is it talk about petty arguments and this one rate''s up there with most, it was a nothing incident hardly worth the time of day and you all blow it up to be some sort of problem just so that you can find another excuse to have a go at our manager it''s laughable and childish .

Jeanette Kranky?

[quote user="Editor of Milk"][quote user="can u sit down please"]My word people are gettin picky now.....he challenged Gorehams comments, is that a crime? Name me a scot who doesnt speak his mind! i am getting fed up of this whole anti Grant thing, either we back him or sod off.[/quote]

Jeanette Kranky?
[/quote]

Gordon Brown!?

If the rumours are true and if Grant is trying the mind games and not diving in with both feet (a la the fans are a disgrace) then this could have been a dig at the Board as he mentions Hux and Earnie 3 or 4 times. The rumours are that both will be off in Jan, Hux as the board are reducing the value of his contract and Earnie because if the is an offer we will take it, prudance with .........you know the mantra.

Is this a message to the Board saying that we need to keep them.

[quote user="percyvarco"]

If the rumours are true and if Grant is trying the mind games and not diving in with both feet (a la the fans are a disgrace) then this could have been a dig at the Board as he mentions Hux and Earnie 3 or 4 times. The rumours are that both will be off in Jan, Hux as the board are reducing the value of his contract and Earnie because if the is an offer we will take it, prudance with .........you know the mantra.

Is this a message to the Board saying that we need to keep them.

[/quote]No he''s not intelligent enough for that he''s just mouthing off because he''s frustrated at loosing, Grant Out

I was at a dinner some time ago when Tommy Docherty delivered the after dinner speech in which he said "Married ? Why get married, just find a woman you hate and give her your house. Saves years of misery. "  Well, Wiz, what you seem to be saying is : why don''t we just give Grant £600K and boot him out now and save years of misery ! Trouble is that time will probably show how wise your advice was. 

If you truly watch and take in what happens on the pitch, you would never in a million years have asked why a centre forward is playing in defence...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We need to get good old Richard Balls on the case! He won''t pussyfoot around with namby pamby questions! He''d ask stuff like "What''s the point of Peter Thorne?" I wish someone would ask people at the club some proper questions. I''ve got one [I] What''s the point of playing our only fit centreforward at centrehalf? And a similar question for the board - What was the point in not spending on a targetman in the summer?

If Chris Gorman had phrased his question differently maybe one of my questions would be answered!

[/quote]

Think I might have read your post wrong, I thought you meant why play Dublin at the back, but on reflection you could have been referring to Saturday''s debacle, so apologies if I shot you down wrongly!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

This bloke is getting on my nerves.  The ''How can a team containing Huckerby and Earnshaw be defensive?'' comment is ludicrous.  What about the other nine players?!  Two attacking players do not make you an attacking team.  We were set up for a draw on Saturday and deservedly didn''t get it.

Look at the best teams in the country and they all have 4 or 5 attacking players in their team:

Chelsea - Ballack, Lampard, Shevchenko, Drogba

Man U - Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes, Rooney, Saha

Arsenal - The whole team!

When Grant came here he promised that ''we''d play every game to win it'' and ''without fear'' well, that seems like a load of tosh in light of Saturday''s tactics.  The guy is doing the most basic of a manager''s jobs wrong - picking the team.

He should have never been appointed and the sooner he''s gone the better.

Average player, average coach and crap manager.  Grant out!

No JC, you called it right first time. I don''t see the point of playing our only fit targetman in defence.

Worthington spent all summer trying to get the board to part with enough money to buy a targetman to no avail. We then sold McKenzie, failed to replace him, and finally got Dublin in as a last resort to play as a targetman. There was never any suggestion that we were going to buy another central defender at anytime.

Now I know to a certain extent injuries have dictated that Dublin plays at the back. But there are so many suggestions on here and by "the voice of the fans" in the printed press that we should leave our first choice central defender out of the side in order to play our first choice targetman in defence and it really bugs me. I honestly don''t see it!

Take a look at the stats on the goalscorers 2006-7 thread. We are not really that much more solid at the back with Dublin.

As for Saturday, Dublin finally went up top when we were 1-0 down. That speaks volumes for me.

I always find it curious when people compare our line ups, or the way our midfield play, to teams which really are in no way comparable...

They all have the resources and prestige to hold 15 quality players who can play in the top half of the pitch. This isn''t Championship Manager....

Good points NN on Dublin. Those substitutions were reactionary which, he has said before, is too late.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Dion Dublin is playing in defense because he has been man of the match there in 3 of our last 4 games. The shaky Doherty whom has been a part of a defensive shambles for the last 2 years is not being missed at all.[/quote]

It''s a debateable point whether Dublin is better than Doc at the back. In my opinion he is slightly better. I also think he is better than the shaky Shackell who has been part of the same defensive shambles. And the ever more shaky Fleming. However, that is not the point. The point I am making is that any advantage we have in playing Dublin in defence is far outweighed by the fact that leaves us with no fit targetman to put up front.

CJF, are you seriously saying that Dublin is so important to our defence that it''s better to play no targetman?