Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

What do we all think of our new manager so far?

There are loads of things I don’t like and at times he annoys me. However none of those things matter if he keeps the players on his side and generates some team spirit and belief. This is a long term thing, along with establishing his own style of play and developing his own squad.

His way of publicly slating players, praising Hughes and Robinson as unsung heros and the style of play we have seen against Sunderland and Hull don’t fill me with confidence but here’s hoping! Much much too early to know.

Two so far and please, please stop giving his inexperience as an excuse. He has had 15 plus years in pro football so he should know something about the game.

I agree with ZLF''s thoughtful analysis and also, some latitude must be allowed for a new manager who is learning the job in his first appointment.  There are bound to be some errors and blind alleys whilst learning his craft.

BUT....I do have concerns.  Still no young players (with the worthwhile exception of Eagle).   Some ill advised comments.

AND... this is a manager who repeatedly praised Hughes, Robinson and Thorne.  Ok, these are probably better players than their reputation with the fans would suggest but still, there are too many areas of doubt and weaknness around them.  I cannot see that any of them has a meaningful long term role at the club yet Grant talks as if they are the bedrock of his future plans.  If he is just trying to give them some spave and a confidence boost then fair enough but if he really believes what he is saying then I am fearful for the long term.

Which raises another question.  Does Grant actually believe anything that he says?  A lot of posters have him down as a stereotypical blunt and straight talking Scot but perhaps he is more media savvy and dissembling than that?   It would not surprise me if he was being misleading and perhaps mischievous to draw attention away from his plans.  There is little money and he has to be clever and careful.

4 (neutral). I think it''s too early to make a fair assessment of his ability as a manager. He does show some worrying signs of being Worthless mark 2, however. I sometimes wonder if he''ll suddenly rip his Peter Grant mask off and shout: "Ha ha! fooled you all, I never did really leave."

So many contradictions.

I think PG is a completely different character to Worthington (as acknowledged on here far too many times to mention) and with the latter having a 6year deep footprint on the team, I''d be pretty alarmed if we were completely different after a few weeks of the former. I thought we all knew this when we changed manager?

What do we think of him so far? Surely it can''t be too soon to make a judgement on him so far can it? Or do we make a judgement on him so far in 3 weeks time?

Personally I''d give him a 6

I find it slightly amusing how everyone reacts to his comments. I do think it''s too early to judge if his team will be successful, February will start to offer more clues on that. But so far, I think life is certainly interesting. I think people have to remember what we thought would happen after changing manager - which should certainly be an issue addressed to the Board.

Oh this board. Sadly, I can''t see everyone pulling in the same direction until after another barren spell of mediocre seasons... expecting success doesn''t seem to work in the way it should here.

Results so far.

of the 37 replies so far 35 have posted score. 2 have spoilt their ballot paper.

so results so far.

1''s Nobody

2''s - 4 votes

3''s - 6 votes

4''s - 15 votes

5''s - 7 votes

6''s - 3 votes

7''s Nobody

Ok so the most vote by a mile are 4 and neutral view.

Interestingly though the average score which is taken by multiplying the score by the number of votes adding them all together and dividing that buy the total number of votes is.................wait for it.

3.97 just a fraction under the 4 that most people think.

If we get a few more I''ll update the results.

HH44.... I demand a recount!! 1st Wizard gave him a 1 so are you saying he is a nobody?? [:^)]

I think that''s a bit harsh because I enjoy his opinions and even though we don''t often agree I always respect what he has to say.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

HH44.... I demand a recount!! 1st Wizard gave him a 1 so are you saying he is a nobody?? [:^)]

I think that''s a bit harsh because I enjoy his opinions and even though we don''t often agree I always respect what he has to say.

[/quote]

he gave 1 and 2 so I was being kind to the gaffer. Wiz has a tendency to do this sort of thing and he changes his mind all the time. However I know there is a good person in there so I chose the less damming answer of the two. His vote is down a 2 if he wishes to revote and discount his first vote then...................... Tough he should have given one answer in the first place.

I haven''t got all bloody day to sit around examining the results you know.

Only Joking

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

he gave 1 and 2 so I was being kind to the gaffer. Wiz has a tendency to do this sort of thing and he changes his mind all the time. However I know there is a good person in there so I chose the less damming answer of the two. His vote is down a 2 if he wishes to revote and discount his first vote then...................... Tough he should have given one answer in the first place.

Only Joking

Luv it..........[:D]

[/quote]

For two reasons, the people that moaned about Worthington are now the same people that moan about Grant with the same arguments that if they look don''t stick. And when either have said anything against something the fans may or may not have done its the same people that get upset even if they didn''t go to the game in question!

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Only Joking

[/quote]

Fair point HH44, but if 1st Wizard can''t make his mind up in the first place how on earth is he ever gonna change it?????  [8-)]

As to my vote... Oi quoit loik ''im, oil giv ''im foive! [Y]

[quote user="chicken"]

For two reasons, the people that moaned about Worthington are now the same people that moan about Grant with the same arguments that if they look don''t stick. And when either have said anything against something the fans may or may not have done its the same people that get upset even if they didn''t go to the game in question!

[/quote]

Love it - no reason to like him, just that some fans havent been too impressed with his decision making are the same fans that werent impressed with worthington during his last 2 years of tenure, with arguments that didnt stick - not sure what they were however as we never made the top 6 for even a week last seaosn and were what 15th/16th when he was belatedly sacked... 

Laughable as usual Chicken.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fair point HH44, but if 1st Wizard can''t make his mind up in the first place how on earth is he ever gonna change it????? 

[/quote]

Lets make this simple. I loathe ''la gob'' with a passion: so its a big fat 1 from me. Ignore this/me if you wish, but the future defeats will do all my taking.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fair point HH44, but if 1st Wizard can''t make his mind up in the first place how on earth is he ever gonna change it????? 

[/quote]

Lets make this simple. I loathe ''la gob'' with a passion: so its a big fat 1 from me. Ignore this/me if you wish, but the future defeats will do all my taking.

[/quote]

You could never be ignored 1st Wizard! I respect your big fat 1 just don''t agree!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote] i agree wiz its a big fat 1 from me to.