Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

The Reading Model

Forget Charlton that''s so 1998, the team we should be emlating now is Reading I mean if they win tonight they could go 3rd!!!! How have they done it well it''s been a long process of building a team based on the best of the players coming out og the premiership (harper, sidwell) and the cream of the lower leagues (kitson, lita) then letting this team evolve over a number of years growing all the time. I mean the team has hardly changed since Fat Phil scored against them on way to the premiership.

Grant should aim to rebuild the team around a younger age group adn jettison players who are too old. For the me this would mean the end of Huckerby, Doc and build for a promotion push in a couple of years time based around a team of

Lewis

Colin , Spillane, Shackell(Capt.),  Drury

Croft   New signing, Etuhu , New Signing

Earnshaw , New Signing

though I am still a bit concerned about Etuhu he could be awesome but isn''t consistent enough and Eagle could be the solution on the left but I think he may turn out to be a bit lightweight but time we tell. Plus Earnie may not be in it for the long term

Letting the team grow together rather than attempting a quick fix return to the premiership which will only lead to relegation.

do you know what i couldnt agree more, but it will need a combination of a bit of luck and decent players where you have stated ''new players''/ i think people need to see a bit of reality and as much as a legend as hucks is had he performed in the last few games? his one weapon is pace and it is fading.but we do have the backbone. keep earnshaw for next season and i wonder... dont forget we''ve got chadwick too

I cannot understand why people believe that Spillane, Lewis, Eagle, and even Shackell, are the future.  They along with Jarvis (1+2) and Henderson are simply not good enough, and never will be.  With a good young player you always get glimpses, a hint, of what they could be capable of.  These guys are ALL destined for league one or below within three years.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Forget Charlton that''s so 1998, the team we should be emlating now is Reading I mean if they win tonight they could go 3rd!!!! How have they done it well it''s been a long process of building a team based on the best of the players coming out og the premiership (harper, sidwell) and the cream of the lower leagues (kitson, lita) then letting this team evolve over a number of years growing all the time. I mean the team has hardly changed since Fat Phil scored against them on way to the premiership.

Grant should aim to rebuild the team around a younger age group adn jettison players who are too old. For the me this would mean the end of Huckerby, Doc and build for a promotion push in a couple of years time based around a team of

Lewis

Colin , Spillane, Shackell(Capt.),  Drury

Croft   New signing, Etuhu , New Signing

Earnshaw , New Signing

though I am still a bit concerned about Etuhu he could be awesome but isn''t consistent enough and Eagle could be the solution on the left but I think he may turn out to be a bit lightweight but time we tell. Plus Earnie may not be in it for the long term

Letting the team grow together rather than attempting a quick fix return to the premiership which will only lead to relegation.

[/quote]

Ulf - There is one vital ingredient you have missed, the "Madjeski Millions", that is why Charlton are cited as a model as they do not have an extremely wealthy "benefactor". The rest of what you say is true, but I would suggest that money plays a very big part in attracting (and keeping) the likes of Sidwell etc.

who cares about "models" why cant we be the Norwich City model? sod every other club.. godo luck to them.. dont do as they do do as we want!

jas :)

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

. I mean the team has hardly changed since Fat Phil scored against them on way to the premiership.

[/quote]

Team when fat phil scored : Ashdown, Williams, Murty, Hughes, Ingimarsson, Sidwell, Harper, Forster, Brooker, Kitson, Salako.

Team on Tuesday : Hahnemann, Ingimarsson, Murty, Shorey, Sonko, Hunt, Oster, Sidwell, Harper, Seol, Doyle.