Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Wealth Distribution in Football

Having read an article regarding a UN report on wealth distribution (you can read it at http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1965149,00.html) I was shocked at how such a small percentage of the worlds population own so much of the planets wealth. This got me thinking as to the parallels between this and the current situation in the world of football.

The report states that the worlds richest 1% own 40% of the worlds wealth and although things are not that bad in football yet it is clear that the gap between the haves and the have-nots is growing wider by the season. The new SKY TV deal which comes into operation next season and the current trend of Premiership clubs being bought by wealthy overseas businessmen, as much for the real estate opportunities they give them as their interest in football, will only see this gap continue to grow.

Personally I believe that this should be one of the most worrying aspects of modern football for fans today. So what, if anything, can be done about it or must we resign ourselves to season after season where only two teams can win the Premiership and teams like Norwich are forced to survive on the discarded scraps from the top table.

Any suggestions anyone?

Personally I hope that the big clubs (Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool) will soon clear off and join a separate European League.  They''d have to choose though.  What they''d really like is to be in a European League as well as the Premier League, and that''s not an option imo.

At the moment, English domestic football is strong enough to survive and even prosper without them.  No other country has such a broad base as we do.   I hope it happens soon, though, before the rest of football withers on the vine.

It''s ironic that everyone is pushing for money to be spent and premiership football to be attained, even though money has ruined the game and the Premiership is crap!

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Personally I hope that the big clubs (Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool) will soon clear off and join a separate European League.  They''d have to choose though.  What they''d really like is to be in a European League as well as the Premier League, and that''s not an option imo.

At the moment, English domestic football is strong enough to survive and even prosper without them.  No other country has such a broad base as we do.   I hope it happens soon, though, before the rest of football withers on the vine.

[/quote]

This is what I would like to see happen too. Create a European ''super league'' for those clubs who consider domestic football a ''necessity'' rather than a need.....and restructure English football from the grass roots up.

It could revolutionise the game and bring back some equality amongst the clubs competing. I for one wouldn''t miss the likes of  Chelsea and Man Utd. anyway.

[/quote]

The problem with a European League is that surely the teams in that would just cherry pick all the best talent and half of these players would just end up warming the bench. Plus, do we really want England''s top league to be without the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd. Would you really take as much pleasure from beating Blackburn 2-0 at home as you did in sending all those United fans back to Yarmouth on the end of a beating.

For me we need to reign these clubs in within the existing league structure, anybody got any ideas how it could be done?

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

The problem with a European League is that surely the teams in that would just cherry pick all the best talent and half of these players would just end up warming the bench. Plus, do we really want England''s top league to be without the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd. Would you really take as much pleasure from beating Blackburn 2-0 at home as you did in sending all those United fans back to Yarmouth on the end of a beating.

For me we need to reign these clubs in within the existing league structure, anybody got any ideas how it could be done?

[/quote]

The above suggestion was made assuming that the ideal solution - redistribution of Sky money throughout football - isn''t going to happen.

[quote user="cluck_the_positive"]

This is what I would like to see happen too. Create a European ''super league'' for those clubs who consider domestic football a ''necessity'' rather than a need.....and restructure English football from the grass roots up.

It could revolutionise the game and bring back some equality amongst the clubs competing. I for one wouldn''t miss the likes of  Chelsea and Man Utd. anyway.

[/quote]

Definitely with you there cluck [:O]

If there was a restriction on how much an individual player could be payed and it was enforced worldwide alongside a restriction on transfer fees then the wealth of a club would be less important as clubs like norwich would be able to compete on a more level playing field with regards to attracting top players. Ok so the best players are still gonna go to your man utd''s and liverpool''s but thats alwas been the case. It may also mean that the fans may stop getting ripped off with extortionate ticket/merchandise prices.

[/quote]

a few years ago, the FA and the Premier league announced that if any club leaves the premiership to join a "super League" then they will not be allowed to compete in any english competition or league.. and if the super league were to wind up (which it would.. 1 league, with no relegation or cup, the sole idear is to win the league, if someone is so many points clear by february the rest will just give up) then these clubs cannot re-enter the Premier league.. they would simply not exist anymore...

thats the reason a super league hasnt been set up.

jas :)

I doubt if that is the reason jas, in the football world big clubs with big money usually find it possible to get their own way.

If only there was wealth distribution in football. And the world. Utopia or what...

Sadly, it doesn''t happen. To many vested interested. Will forever be a pipe dream. If they did change wages etc we''d probably have strikes like those is the US sports. I remember the money bouncing around basketball 15 years ago, thinking how rediculous the level of money being paid out to players was. I think I realised then, just as Sky began to get involoved, that football was probably going to end up in the same pot - only without the drafts...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I doubt if that is the reason jas, in the football world big clubs with big money usually find it possible to get their own way.

[/quote]

your probably right NN, i remember reading it on Ceefax that was one of the reasons the super league died

I have said it before but for those that didn''t read it. I think that the FA has a great oppertunity next season to re-arrange the structure in regards to money for the premiership.

Clubs not playing in the premiership and playing in some European league is a no go. It must not be allowed to happen because there is no way the supporters of those clubs will be able to afford the away fixtures - or want to go to some of them ie Galatasary.

Next season the amount a premiership club will supposedly earn through extra TV revenue will increase by an estimated £30million, at least they are the rumours.

What I say is give them a £5-£10million boost and then filter the rest down. The gulf between the leagues is already huge in the scale of things. Most Championship teams do not have as large squads let alone the wealth to be able to bring in the extra half a dozen or so players to make up the difference. Maybe for example give a promoted team slightly more to start off with to assist and maintain competition.

The rest could be filtered down with some kept to one side as an emergency fund for clubs that struggle to pay things like Policing bills in FA cup games etc. Or if through no fault of their own such as a lack of investment a club is struggling financially. Unfortunately I doubt any of the big buisinessmen will see it like that even though extra TV coverage leads to extra revenues after all thats how Man U, Barcelona and Real Madrid have become global teams. They make a lot through shirt and memorabilia sales as well as more through sponsership because they are shown worldwide.

Champions League on its own is supposedly worth an extra £15million to a club!

1. Squads have to be of a certain size for premiership and a larger size for championship and so on down to league 2. The promoted sides get to keep the squad size from the division below for a season, if they stay up then the premiership squad size applies. They should also limit the amount of foreign players or say for example at least a third of the squad must be from the British isles, a quarter but be English and a Fifth must be youth players.

2. Premiership money should be spread amoungst all of the leagues so that the deal for television rights is for the whole football league not just the premiership.

3. There should be 24 teams in the premiership and 4 relegation/promotion places in both the premiership and the championship (this applies to the bottom of the championship and top of league 1 as well)

4. League cup should be for all teams in the football league minus teams playing/qualified for europe and premiership teams enter at the first round.

5. European TV money should be reduced enormously at the present moment it is a joke and thus why we have such a massive split between the top 4 and the rest.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

your probably right NN, i remember reading it on Ceefax that was one of the reasons the super league died

[/quote]

Take a look at this website jas, in the end the big clubs will totally control their own destiny. What I find interesting about the G14 is that they don''t let Chelsea join in!

Chicken... Good sentiments but while the FA run the Premiership it won''t happen. Gone are the days of one body governing the whole league. I would love to see the Football League back in control of the whole show but that''s what the clubs broke away from in the first place and ultimately stopped a fairer distribution of wealth.

The champions league is a super league of sorts yet the level of fan attendance is well below UK norms.

And that is one of the key barriers for UK clubs joining a super league; Chelsea & Manure will comfortably and repeatedly get sell out - that simply will not happen with any european super league as the long term interest in european competition is not currently sustainable.  However the domestic product remains extremely vibrant despite being far more expensive that the european version - the championship has better attendances than most serie a games for example and was something like the 4th most successful league in the world - after the prem, spain and germanys top tier leagues.

Yes the TV money may follow initially and that will impact domestic clubs not involved - look at how much interest and so TV money there is currently for the second level of our national game,  however once interest falls the need to invest in the top product will fall.

I cant see any major changes in the current set up despite high level interest - let the G14 so called super group go off and do their thing as I am convinced it will not work in the long run and they will return to the fold with their tails between their legs - and the remaining powers will have to be strong to ensure they join at a suitable level having paid a suitable price.

Football is a grass roots activity - the powers need to remember that. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

- let the G14 so called super group go off and do their thing as I am convinced it will not work in the long run and they will return to the fold with their tails between their legs - and the remaining powers will have to be strong to ensure they join at a suitable level having paid a suitable price.

Football is a grass roots activity - the powers need to remember that. 

[/quote]

That''s why I''d like them to break away, it wouldn''t work and they would be back, but in the mean time hopefully the FA Premiership would fold and the Football League would be back in charge of every tier again, ensuring a fairer distribution of the wealth and the same rules for all clubs.