Sign in to follow this  
Mr Carrow in the City Stand

Waller Commentary - Is Radio Norfolk having a laugh ?

Roy Waller is obviously a very good fan of the club......... but a football commentator he aint ! His commentary on the Burnley game today was a total shambles.

If you think of all the good commentators you have heard on sport and , sad to say, Roy has nothing in common with any of them.

Today it was impossible to know where on the pitch the ball was. Goals suddenly appeared from nowhere with no build up. Referee decisions were totally missed. And to cap it all at half time, with us 3-2 down in a crucial promotion game, he said what more could we want from a half .......Well to go in in the lead maybe ??

I also do not want to know what he had to eat before the game (''mushy peas'') or how many blankets he''s wearing.

Please Radio Norfolk give those of us who can''t get to every away game a real break. Let Roy do the after match interviews maybe......but hand the match microphone on to somebody who can make sense of it for us. Roy is very confused himself so has no chance of explaining anything clearly and anybody outside Norfolk thinks he''s an Alan Partridge wind up.

I got to agree about the goal scoring bit. When Burnley scored their first goal, I at first thougt we had scored, from the way Roy was shouting about it and then when I realised that we were losing, I didn''t know how it was scored or who by untill Neil Adams said something. Not sure about the rest of your post though, atleast you get the jist of whats going on.

If you''ve ever heard any of the muppets they get in when Roy is on holiday, you''d be on your knees begging for his return.
I swear one of them WAS Alan Partridge.

He does a better job than I could manage, and by the sounds of it he does a better job than the rest of the Radio Norfolk crew.
Of course he has his faults, but if you listen to Neil Adams too (yes, they''re a commentary team) then I think they give a reasonable picture of whats going on.

Do you really give a toss what anyone outside the Norfolk thinks of him? I don''t.
I''ve heard commentary from local stations up north and they make Waller seem like John Motson.

Be careful what you wish for....

Herb

I normally defend Waller, but today it really annoyed me when he got so excited about Burnley''s third goal. Quite uncalled-for!

leave roy alone hes part of saturday
afternoon.norwich commentry with
out roy is unthinkable.at least he cares
deeply about his club and though he
gets carried away at times 9 times
out of 10 u get the gist of what is
happening.if your not happy with roy
listern to radio 5 (who are norwich?)live
or talk sport with binner brazil or even
better bbc1 or sky who both dont even
now norwich city fc exist.
so leave ROY WALLER alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to be critical, you should have a go at Neil Adams...even with the successful season we are having, he is still so damn negative in his talks.

Adams said last year that if we signed Huckerby we''d go up as champions.
His prediction looks pretty good so far. Thats hardly negative, I''ve got a lot of respect for Adams, I read his comments more as constructive criticism.

Herb

I know what you mean about Mr Waller, he does have a tendancy
to suddenly shout "He lines up a shot and its in!!! What a goal!".
Who has scored?!? and he gets just as excited when the oppo score
so it makes the match even more nerve wracking listening without
seeing. I still reckon he''s great though, he just needs to add the players
name more.

Listen - anyone remember Roy''s commentary on the Milk Cup Semi @ Carrow Rd?

I have to make a very sad admission, me & a mate recorded it and when we came home from the game I listened to that commentary again & again & again...

Leave the legend alone - the whole fabric of Saturday afternoons would be destroyed if the moved Roy!

Commentating successfully is a very skilful art ........ what must be uppermost in the commentators mind is that the listeners do NOT have the picture HE sees in front of him ! , maybe Wally should go into more bookies and listen to those racing commentators !! , THEY dont last long if the punters cant follow the race LOL