Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Supporters Own The Club? - What A Lot Of Claptrap

As stated by many on numerous occasions, this message board provides an excellent forum for many diverse and often opposite points of view. One view that has been growing in popularity over recent postings is, "the club does not belong to Delia, it belongs to us, the Norwich fans."

For those of you choosing to delude yourself with such nonsense in order to give yourself a warm and fuzzy feeling, go ahead and indulge yourself you poor deluded fools. This football club belongs to you just as much as my lovely home belongs to the native indians here in the rolling hills of New Jersey. I paid the mortgage off, I cut the grass, I attend to maintenance, I paint the house and I welcome visitors in and treat them well for the pleasure. However, they are expected to act like good guests in return for any pleasure derived. Any indian coming along expecting to make demands on past history better be prepared for a fight. Delia Smith and hubby own Norwich City football club. If I were subjected to some of the drivel I read to the contrary I would tell those holding such views ( this includes you Cluck ) to kiss my a**e. I suspect Delia is much more polite than I would be. You are not commanded to pay for a season ticket or occasionally go through the turnstiles. This is a choice that you freely make on your own. If you do not like the product that is put on display for you then stop going until a better product comes along.

I share in the disappointment of the procrastination in dealing with Nigel Worthington. I too feel we mis-managed the opportunity that presented itself and have slipped backwards as a result. I was very disappointed that with a club like Ipswich feeling more of a strain than us at least financially were able to handle us so easily in our last game. Those are understandable feelings, but to move from that to a position of believing you have more proprietary rights to the club than Delia is not just a stretch....it is fantasy. Delia may well choose to own this club longer than some of you will exist on this earth. She has both earned and managed the right to do so. Most of you posters on here could not manage your way out of a paper bag and would be well advised to take lessons from someone who has made a success out of her life.

I don''t believe it has been misshandled.

If this season does not go so well as in we don''t reach the play-offs who will you blame? Thats right you will blame the board for not appointing Grant or another candidate in the summer when he would have had a chance to put a semblance of a team together instead of having to work with Worthingtons players.

Consider that for a seccond. If he had been appointed in the summer and had a similar run of performances as Worthington had do you not think the fans would have revolted again? People would be why an untested manager has come into the fold when there are tried and tested candidates out there - why didn''t we push the boat out and get Curbishly or O''neill?

Right now as things stand Grant can not have all of the flack aimed at him simply because he is not responsible in the large part of the quality of the players we have to hand. By staving off summer spending not only have we now got money to spend in the transfer window but we may actually have some decent money in the transfer window rather than the pittance we normally get unless someone is sold.

What we have here is a season where most people will appreciate that Grant has got to try and rebuild at least the depth of the squad and maintain what we already have.

The important thing was to bring in a new manager when they were not going to be victimised so easily. Like I say in the summer and our current position would have been unacceptable to most - as it stands most people think he is doing a good job with the personel at his disposal and Chadwick an inspired signing, if not unlucky.

Finaly Delia does not "own" this club - neither do the fans but I do know that she has the fans interests at heart. Delia AND Micheal are JOINT majority shareholders. It does not make her or him the owner nor the only people behind the decisions. It does mean that they have more influence but I am sure they work with the board.

I agree Yankee Canary.  I enjoy reading some of the strongly worded opinions about Delia, etc but they do not seem to be reflective of the majority fans and, by that, I mean I have never heard any rumblings where I sit in the ground against Delia, the board or debate about who "owns the club".

The reason for that is that most people go along and watch the games, support the team 100%, save most of the moaning for after the game (if it''s a poor performance or result) and get on with their lives.   That''s exactly what I do.  I am not saying everything is hunky dory, I get jarred of with it all at times but I still enjoy it for what it is. 

Some of the posters with strong opinions may think I''m lacking in some way, or not critical enough of the club but that''s their opinion.

I would like to know if those posters that think Delia, the board should go etc, feel that their opinions represent the majority of fans'' views?  

Ummmmmmm.....a classical tale of American control over those less strong and the removal of rights from the indiginous people by force.....however many years ago it was. The US is good at that and it continues to this very day!.......

Delia may ''own'' the bricks and mortar at CR....just as you indeed ''own'' the deeds to your home......but ''spiritually'' it still belongs to it''s ''founders''.......the people of Norfolk.......just as you can only claim ''theft'' from the native Americans at the barrel of a gun.  I repeat that we (the supporters) could happily continue life as a club without Delia Smith.....but without us Delia Smith would have little other than a fancy restaurant and an empty stadium to control. So who actually owns the ''spirit'' of the club?

Don''t start me on ''Empire'' building YC.....because it is a very sore subject at Carrow Road just now......not to mention the wider world........[;)]

Yankee Canary, I completely disagree with you. 

There are probably a large number of supporters who post on this forum who own shares in NCFC.  They may not be the majority shareholder, but, they do own a portion of the club. 

You could also argue that as NCFC is £20 million in debt the banks effectively own the club not Delia Smith.     

[quote user="A load of squit"]

I think we''re very fortunate that some of the supporters on here do not own the club.

[/quote]

Good fun though isn''t it?...............[:)]

Lets hope those beautiful rolling, spiritual hills of New Jersey didn''t make the original native Indians feel and sound as old and bitter as you Yankee, it would have been such a waste if it did, I''m guessing you drank too much firewater before writing that one? nothing to be ashamed of though, I think a few of us had one too many after watching/viewing/reading that Ipswich result, I can''t recall anyone else warding off ancient tribes from moving into their house though, -  Moonshine and Bud all round! lets keep those crazy Celts, Visigoths, Aztecs and Babylonians at bay!!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I share in the disappointment of the procrastination in dealing with Nigel Worthington. I too feel we mis-managed the opportunity that presented itself and have slipped backwards as a result. I was very disappointed that with a club like Ipswich feeling more of a strain than us at least financially were able to handle us so easily in our last game. Those are understandable feelings, but to move from that to a position of believing you have more proprietary rights to the club than Delia is not just a stretch....it is fantasy. Delia may well choose to own this club longer than some of you will exist on this earth. She has both earned and managed the right to do so. Most of you posters on here could not manage your way out of a paper bag and would be well advised to take lessons from someone who has made a success out of her life.

[/quote]

Yankee. Two points.

[a]  "I too feel we mismanaged the opportunity.............."

You delude yourself if you think that you had anything to do with it.

[b]  "Delia may well choose to own this club longer than some of you will exist on this earth.She has both earned and managed the right to do so."

Robert Chase probably deluded himself that he could own ''this'' club as long as he wanted.

Delia in practice can only choose to own our club as long as we don''t revolt.

Who are we? The supporters of Norwich City FC - children of  the Iceni.

Your post unfortunately smacks of  "The Ugly American".

From which imagined height do you think that you have earned the right to so lecture, condescend and insult?

Talk about drivel!

OTBC.

Delia is the current custodian of the majority of the shares in a company called NCFC. Therefore she has the say. Its Business. Fans are customers who pay for the product. Its sad but that is how it is. The fans do not own a majority share in the company so they do not have a say. If they wish to offer to but Delia''s shares they can make her an offer or put together a consortium who will.

Delia is not like the Ruski at Chelski, she does not fund purchases etc with no view to getting her money back, its all about investment. Look at Mandaric, he has taken his investment from Portsmouth to Leicester. Hypothetically there is nothing stopping Delia selling and investing in Portman Road or Colmans mustard if she wants to. In exactly as there is nothing stopping any fan investing in NCFC, just go and find a shareholder who will sell to you, just as the Glazers did at Moan U.

Sometimes, however, I wonder how intouch with her Customers Delia is?

Well said, Yankee.  Whatever way people want to look at it the fact is that Delia and Michael own NCFC  by the simple fact that they own the majority of the shares.

On balance she hasn''t done a bad job - the Club is stronger than when she took over, or rescued us (depending on your point of view). The Ground and infrastrucure are better than when she took over and these things do count when trying to attract staff and players to the Club. She probably does show a bit too much loyalty to managers than I would but again that loyalty may very well be why people will come here.

As to the £7million and whether it is loaned ,or not, who gives a rat''s arse? The fact is that the Club has been able to use £7million that it wouldn''t have been able to use without Delia. 

[quote user="FatMan Fat"]

Well said, Yankee.  Whatever way people want to look at it the fact is that Delia and Michael own NCFC  by the simple fact that they own the majority of the shares.

On balance she hasn''t done a bad job - the Club is stronger than when she took over, or rescued us (depending on your point of view). The Ground and infrastrucure are better than when she took over and these things do count when trying to attract staff and players to the Club. She probably does show a bit too much loyalty to managers than I would but again that loyalty may very well be why people will come here.

As to the £7million and whether it is loaned ,or not, who gives a rat''s arse? The fact is that the Club has been able to use £7million that it wouldn''t have been able to use without Delia. 

[/quote]

Actually Fatman....I give a ''rats arse'' because DS has been living on the fact that she ''saved'' this club for far too long and it''s time to explode a few myths.

She is just a business woman making a quid like the rest of us....and certainly no saviour. The dewy eyed fans believe we are something special under her.......Well sadly we aren''t.....We''re very ordinary and under the control of a Board who don''t have a clue......and a Chairwoman/man who is well past her sell by date. She should invite serious investors into the club at the expense of her control.........but somehow I can''t see her doing that can you?

I began to read Yankee Canary''s latest post and decided I needed a lighter alternative so I turned to the terms and conditions sheet of my DFS (deliver by Crimbo pay nothing ''till you die then your surviving dependants can take a four year interest free option) contract. Not only was it lighter, it was also clearer and more interesting.

[quote user="cluckaduck"][quote user="FatMan Fat"]

[/quote]

Actually Fatman....I give a ''rats arse'' because DS has been living on the fact that she ''saved'' this club for far too long and it''s time to explode a few myths.

She is just a business woman making a quid like the rest of us....and certainly no saviour. The dewy eyed fans believe we are something special under her.......Well sadly we aren''t.....We''re very ordinary and under the control of a Board who don''t have a clue......and a Chairwoman/man who is well past her sell by date. She should invite serious investors into the club at the expense of her control.........but somehow I can''t see her doing that can you?

[/quote]

Out of the other majority shareholders/chair people in this division who would you rather have in her place.

You deny that she "saved" or rescued this club what would you suggest she has done? I ask only because I believe she rescued us, as in we did not need saving as such we did need rescuing. We were not dying just sitting in a position where even our status in the first division was questionable.

I am sure Delia does make some money from the club but as it has been well publicised and reported as FACT she has put more money into this club than she is likely to ever get back.

It seems that you feel she is doing it for only one thing and that is the money. I would argue that there is more to it than that. If money was her only purpose in life why invest in a club that was struggling to make much of a profit when you have the ability to do another TV series followed by an accompanying book allong with appearences and functions that earn you millions. She has even put hold on a series before now so she can concentrate on our club. I really do not believe that she hasnt got the clubs best interests at heart.

What people don''t seem to understand is that there are two sides to football these days. The financial buisiness side and the football playing matchday side. They are ofcourse linked but without the money coming into the club the football side will be reduced in quality.

Up untill the last season we had maintained a position within the top 30 teams in the country and were a team held in high regards especially playing at fortress carrow road. In the promotion season the board took a gamble with a cash injection which paid off. The problem was that something a lot of people are still struggling to come to terms with is that the premiership money had to be used wisely. Whether in our view it was or not will only tell by coming seasons and if the club decides to release a set of reports that simplify it once and for all so that everyone can understand.

Otherwise all this argument comes down to is why havent we signed bigger and better players and managers when we were supposedly "saved"? I can assure you that most Everton fans have felt that way for a long time untill recently . . . .

I keep seeing that people are posting that Deliah is making money out of her £7million investment - can someone point out in the accounts of NCFC just what money she is making and what money she is taking out of the Club?

"Supporters Own The Club? - What A Lot of Claptrap!"......No, I agree entirely with that comment, but:

"THE SUPPORTERS ARE THE CLUB!"

Any business whithout customers is worthless.

Any business who neglects their customers had better be a monopoly.

In the case of NCFC people have a choice how they spend their entertainment money.

Yes, there will always be the hard core fan but the reality is that the club survives because of the casual fan.

NCFC are EXTREMELY lucky to have the fans they do.

How many other prem relegated clubs keep up their average home gates.

NCFC is virtually the only club in the last 5 years who didnt see a big drop off after relegation.

Because of this loyalty we SHOULD expect more than the average club.

Some people might find it more comfortable living in ''cotton wool land''...but fortune favours the brave in this world. I see nothing particularly brave about this club anymore and we have become a soft touch for too many clubs......and a laughing stock for their supporters.

I don''t think any other club in the land has such a squeaky image as us....and when travelling around the country....just mentioning Norwich City gets little more than a giggle followed up by a quick "Lets be ''avin you" impersonation. I laughed the first hundred times...but now it is wearing just a teeny bit thin.

If that''s good enough for you....fine....but for me I want a little bit more oomph and guts about my club.....and a bit more desire from the complacent supporters among us wouldn''t come amiss either.

Spot on Cluck. Norwich supporters are always looking for someone to blame when infact they are their own worst enemy through being so patheticaly tolerant and subservient. The only reason Norwich have the gates and season ticket base they do is because the supporters are so easily manipulated by spin, they are easy meat for the marketing people. If this was say, Middlesbrough or even Ipswich the fall in gates many months ago would have precipitated the necessary change and by now we would be on the way back.

You can pretty well assume that somewhere along the line one of Delia''s company''s or associates is drawing a "Consultancy" fee which does not have to be shown as a seperate item in the accounts. I am sure she feels, and probably is, justified in making such a charge.

Roger used to ,and I expect still does draw, a salary and also gets a lot of spin off for his marketing company and I am sure he too feels justified as after all he is a working man and the capacity crowds at CR are down to him. Other directors have brought enormous sums to the club as a result of land sales and one would expect them to benefit in some way for their hard work which is both arduous and time consuming..

When Delia came to the club you may remember that she changed the auditors to "her" auditors. I am not suggesting in any way that there is anything untowards in this but the preparation of accounts is not as black and white as the figures contained in them. Auditors take an opinion as to what is a "true and fair view" and like referees some see it one way and others another.

[quote user="cluckaduck"]

Some people might find it more comfortable living in ''cotton wool land''...but fortune favours the brave in this world. I see nothing particularly brave about this club anymore and we have become a soft touch for too many clubs......and a laughing stock for their supporters.

I don''t think any other club in the land has such a squeaky image as us....and when travelling around the country....just mentioning Norwich City gets little more than a giggle followed up by a quick "Lets be ''avin you" impersonation. I laughed the first hundred times...but now it is wearing just a teeny bit thin.

If that''s good enough for you....fine....but for me I want a little bit more oomph and guts about my club.....and a bit more desire from the complacent supporters among us wouldn''t come amiss either.

[/quote]

Well said indeed, Cluck.

OTBC.