Sign in to follow this  
canary2211

Peter Grant: control freak v task ownership

I feel pretty upset at the post-match comments: we pay for our tickets: they should entertain. Entertainment can mean winning whilst playing rubbish, or losing whilst playing well, or just trying damn hard.  Entertainment was not what we saw today- no passion, no effort, no skill, no reaction to last Sunday.  So I think Mr Grant''s comment were unnecessary, unfair, ill-timed, unhelpful and disrespectful.But I have another more important and longer term point:  PG is constantly shouting at and instructing players from the technical area: right down to "pass it to him" & "get back and cover".  Is this a sign of control freakery or a good manager?  I am not a football manager but I am a manager.  All the books - as well as my expereince - tells me I get the best from my team by
  • encouraging individuals to succeed and perform at thier best (not necessarily the teams best)
  • allowing individuals to own their tasks, express their views and learn from their mistakes
  • allowing individuals freedom, but making it clear they are responsible for their actions
  • allowing individuals to take their own decisions within a set of congruant goals
  • understanding a high performing team is created by getting individuals to perform at their best
  • by having consistently held goals and targets, which are realistic and can be acheived if everyone does thier best
We dont seem to see much of this.  PG''s job is to set the framework, and get the best out of individuals: not to instruct at every turn. This is the crucial difference between instruction(which is telling and will always fail) and coaching the best from people.  Surely PG knows this?Imagine what would happen in your job if your boss instructed you how to do every task (pass to him, cover there, run that way, run this way, breath in , breathe out) ?  A very rapid failure of individual and organisation I think.   I really hope he is much better than he has shown so far.  And I think I will give him the (marginal) benefit of the doubt for his comments today: heat of the moment and all thatOTBC