Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

If Curbishley had critised the fans, would the reaction be the same?

Personally I''ve listened to what Grant has said and i''ve took it with a pince of salt but obviously critism really hurts some of you. The fact still remains the moaners on the board are only moaning because Grant is new to management and isn''t estabished. If Alan Curbishley had come to the club and critised the fans (Once, same amount of times Grant has) I doubt your reaction would have been the same because he has been successful. Grant has no record of success or failure and thats why it is so easy to moan about him as some of you are doing.

Grant is new to the management game, so maybe he might be getting some background''s staff influencing his statements to the fans. Livermore is still here, But seriously one lose against the scum and a bit of critisism should shot your moral to the floor like it has. I seriously hope that none of you are going to be pissed off all today for the next week because of this because if you are, your going to waste your week.

Grant doesn''t know the ropes of management so just give him a chance to find his feet. He hasn''t ever got his own team yet and Hucks on the right, this was a bit wierd but Chadwick and Croft are injuried if you didn''t notice. He needs some time (Not 5 1/2 years though) and your just don''t want to give him it.

I do have some critism of Grant though, when he said that he "wasn''t concerned about Hull". It seems like he hasn''t done his homework well but I honestly think this is just because he''s finding his feet.

Give him a chance!

Curbishly would never criticise the supporters. Neither would Rednap, Ferguson, Wenger. That''s the whole point Tom.  

Sorry Tom you are wrong mate, if we had the best manager in the world (who ever that is) and he called me a disgrace i would be as pi**ed with him as i am with Mr Grant, i have given this club alot of money and time over the past 25 years and to be called a disgrace because of the gutless performance of the team on the pitch is the disgrace.

A proven manager getting results can say what he wants.  Somebody who is just starting out - and we are now realising in hindsight perhaps that isnt what we needed - should not call the fans a disgrace.  He should have done it diplomatially, and said he does not want to see his players booed anymore, and that he would like more noise from the fans.  Not call the fans a disgrace.

Grant also thought the performance was good , maybe he should trot off down to down to the opticians . He could of mentioned the noise levels in his interview without calling every City fan a disgrace but then he was choosing his words carefully. His side are poor very very poor and how he expects people to get excited watching them is beyond belief.

More importantly, Tom, have you ever heard Wenger, Mourinho or Ferguson criticise their own players?

Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson use the "siege mentality" method to motivate their players. they deflect criticism from the players in public by raising issues about refereees, opponents, ANYTHING, to take pressure off the pre-match build-up/post-match interview.

They get the players fired up withthe attitude that they want to go out and prove the press/fans/opposition wrong.

I''m sure they slate the players when necessary, but it is usually done in private.

PG has done the exact opposite of this since he''s arrived. That''s an observation rather than a criticism per se.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]A proven manager getting results can say what he wants.  Somebody who is just starting out - and we are now realising in hindsight perhaps that isnt what we needed - should not call the fans a disgrace.  He should have done it diplomatially, and said he does not want to see his players booed anymore, and that he would like more noise from the fans.  Not call the fans a disgrace.[/quote]

Agree 100%, he handled it poorly, he could have called for more unity.

He could state that we are in a "rebuilding phase" and the fans must be more patient. 

what i didnt like was the fact he blamed the fans for being nervous at the end and costing us 2 points.

Yet he was the one who brought on Hughes to hang on to the lead.

Not sure how he thinks a crowd will react to this?

Of course what really does not help is the perception of a return to the Worthy era of strange formations, players out of position and the bad performances are defended with post match fairy tales.

We need a fresh start.

[quote user="Mook"]More importantly, Tom, have you ever heard Wenger, Mourinho or Ferguson criticise their own players?[/quote]

Criticise them ?    if they had a team  like ours  they would all burst blood vessels !   as for Fergy  ....... can you really imagine  what he would DO , let alone say  ?   there would be  his profile  hole in the dressing room wall  !   [li]

[quote user="Mook"]More importantly, Tom, have you ever heard Wenger, Mourinho or Ferguson criticise their own players?[/quote]

Mourinho criticised Joe Cole last season... it worked.

jas :)

[quote user="sheded"]

Criticise them ?    if they had a team  like ours  they would all burst blood vessels !   as for Fergy  ....... can you really imagine  what he would DO , let alone say  ?   there would be  his profile  hole in the dressing room wall  !   [li]

[/quote]

he he he.......luv it!

Tom - Did not realise you had started two threads on a similar subject. I really think you should get your backside down to CR and witness first hand the shite that is being dished up, rather relying on the internet/press/TV then maybe just maybe you will think before you post.........

[quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

In private, Sheded, in private. They very rarely criticise their players, and NEVER in relation to specific incidents in games, or really performance related stuff. I can''t remember Fergie ever criticising any of his players, Wenger never does either, and fair point about Joe Cole and Mourinho but he''s never criticised any other of his players as I remember.

To my mind, Grants come in and burnt a few too many bridges. He''s not going to have many people left on his side by Christmas at the rate he''s going.

Nope. Wrong. Ferguson hasn''t "frequently" berated the fans. Certainly not since the Takeover. Check your facts my friend

PG has broken rule #1 of football management "make the fans your friend, not your enemy", I''m prepared to wait for him to settle in and get rid of the NW regiem, but we are the people paying his wages and if our support is in question how come we are still the best supported club outside of the prem and actually better supported than half the prem teams. I know his hands are tied with the lack of playing resource we have and he''s in-experienced, but to blame us (the fans) for another dismal, un-inspired, can''t be arsed performance from a bunch of players who got absolutley slaughtered last week by the S**M of the earth, in front of a massive loud and encouraging, following of green and yellow is a very, very obvious thing not to do. You''d think when coming from West Ham who also have passionate fans like our own he would of realised that. Yet we still trun up week after week, I''m deeply hurt by his comments and an appology should be made!

Tom - you are are regular contributor to this board and I can understand that living in Lincoln it is a great way for you to feel part of the support of your club.

What I cannot accept or understand is how you often criticise ''support performance'' in your posts and this thread you have started is no exception. You do not go to many games (if any for some time as I understand it) so how can you give an honest opinion about your fellow supporters who go on a regular basis. Come to think about it, how can you give an opinion on which player is performing well and who isn''t?

Why not become a member of the Delia Cap Doffing Society. They comprise mostly of those who cannot attend very often and appeal for all to ''get behind your team''

If your complaining now about the support I suggest you keep well away from the up coming AGM. You will get so upset you''ll be crying in your reference books and never pass an exam again!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]

Tom - you are are regular contributor to this board and I can understand that living in Lincoln it is a great way for you to feel part of the support of your club.

What I cannot accept or understand is how you often criticise ''support performance'' in your posts and this thread you have started is no exception. You do not go to many games (if any for some time as I understand it) so how can you give an honest opinion about your fellow supporters who go on a regular basis. Come to think about it, how can you give an opinion on which player is performing well and who isn''t?

Why not become a member of the Delia Cap Doffing Society. They comprise mostly of those who cannot attend very often and appeal for all to ''get behind your team''

If your complaining now about the support I suggest you keep well away from the up coming AGM. You will get so upset you''ll be crying in your reference books and never pass an exam again!

[/quote]

When you say ''support performance what do you mean? I''m sorry if my words seem a bit extreme but I just get pissed off when people don''t even give the guy a chance and sometimes i just don''t know how to get my point to the hardened fans.

Don''t talk to me about references books? F''in hell December = deadlines and i just don''t seem to able to get anything done and I have 3 exams in April so i better not go to the AGM! Ha,made me laugh though!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"] Tom - Did not realise you had started two threads on a similar subject. I really think you should get your backside down to CR and witness first hand the shite that is being dished up, rather relying on the internet/press/TV then maybe just maybe you will think before you post.........[/quote]

I would if I had any spare time...Anyway you won''t be able to say that over the christmas cause I get back home for Christmas and am hoping to secure all the tickets I can for the start period i''m home

P.S. If my words have been harse or offensive today to anyone, i am sorry. It isn''t personally, i just don''t like the fact people just dont give grant a chance. I don''t come on this forum to make enemies, i come on to make friends so sorry if i pissed anyone off today!

Happy November 27th day!

So PG, in the heat of the moment, criticised us fans.  His assesment was in the main correct.  The atmosphere at FCR is at best anxious and at worst poisonous at the moment.  Very few people connected with the club as a fan or by employment are looking good at the moment.  The club is imploding and we all need to taske a good look at ourselves, draw a line on the past and start with a clean sheet now.  Harping on about anything that has happened previously will not change history.  Calling us a disgrace was wrong but shows his passion but to answer the question, Yes!  No-one likes criticism and we are reacting to it with hurt and astonishment.  Interesting though, when PG criticises the players, or we do through this and other organs, we expect them to take note and improve because our assesments are spot on aren''t they?  So, will FRCbecome a hotbed of impassioned chanting and singing tomorrow to prove PG wrong?

I hope so!

yes other managers criticise fans for being quiet, but they DONT use the word disgrace to the fans! that is what pi**ed me off! who does grant think he is? he has been here 5 minutes and seems to be on a one man crusade to destroy everything about this club, firstly the players then the fans who next? maybe the tea ladies for not serving earl grey to him in a china cup or even the music man for playing the proclaimers at the wrong time!!!

Tom - You have every right to make your point, and it is not about pissing people off, but I feel that rather than step on the PG "bandwagon" it is better to take a step back and look at what really happened on Saturday. PG picked the team and set out the teams  tactics for the game against Hull, he also made the decisions regarding the substitutions. It was his team/tactics that allowed Hull to score in injury time, not the fans, I fully understand he was smarting after seeing his team put in yet another poor performance against a team in the lower echelons of the league and throw away two valuable points, but that does not give him the right to call the fans a "disgrace".

Bryceland - Not sure what you are talking about, I agree CR was quiet for a lot of the time (very little entertainment/quality to get the fans going) but poisonous I do not think so, as I have said in a previous post another crowd of 24,000+ for a distinctly average Championship side based in a small rural city speaks volumes about the loyalty of Norwich City fans.

It was an abysmal performance which was difficult to get enthusiastic about.  The chorus of boos at half time we not poisonous merely a short statement of unhappiness at the display - had worthy been in charge it have been almost explosive.

No individual players were bood as far as I was aware and while generally quiet there were small bursts of support which the players did not respond too.  

The 24000 deserve more passion,  and a little given will get support, because as far as I can tell the fans are itching for something to sing for..