Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

What is Grant guilty of?

Speaking his mind? If he felt let down by the support, should he pretend that everything is fine. He hinted that Robinson made a mistake right at the death by passing to a Hull player, rather than blasting to the other end. Should he not have criticised Robionson, who was having a better game (although not good enough)?Do you want an anodyne Worthington type, passionless and saying nothing, or do you prefer a man with passion, who says it as he feels?He played Dion at the back. Is nobody satisfied? Then the problem was no striker with Ernie, except Hux. Then who was going to provide service to the strikers, - asnwer Eagle and McV. Who else could he use? You could critice him for relying on a midfield of Robinson and "often absent" Etuhu, - against most other teams with this as a midfield we would have shipped a hatful of goals. Against Hull, in his opinion, it was a risk worth taking. Given that he has two right wingers both injured, and fringe players he clearly does not think good enough, he has virtually no choice. It''s puzzling that Safri didn''t get on the pitch, but we have been commenting for weeks that he is not the player he was, and some are now claiming that he has an attitude....I feel sorry for Grant, - with a poorer squad than perhaps he thought, a manager who trains players who look good in training but then freeze in actual matches, and to have a lop-sided team with no wide right player, - you can understand why he was counting on the supporters to make CR a "fortress" again. When they were less than daunting to Hull, you can understand why a man of passion would feel let down!

Grant said the support was a "disgrace" if he had said we were a "disapointment".. then thats a different matter entirely.. he chose the wrong word.

jas :)

I was surprised when Grant made his comment, but, on reflection, both of the first two posts hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps it''s just a cunning ploy by Grant to make sure the ground is "rocking" come Tuesday night?  

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Perhaps it''s just a cunning ploy by Grant to make sure the ground is "rocking" come Tuesday night?  

[/quote]

Somehow I dont think he''s that clever! I wish he was clever, perhaps he would remember to keep Hux on the left and not on the right.

If you are looking in PG - look at both your wrists/hands - the one with your watch on is your left, the one you wipe your @ with is your right!!

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

I was surprised when Grant made his comment, but, on reflection, both of the first two posts hit the nail on the head.

[/quote]Make sure the ground is rocking Tuesday night? You''re having a larf aint yer? It will be worse than Saturday, unless, and this is a big "unless", the team decides it wants to come out to play for us.Only then will we respond. The trouble is we all "know our Norwich". We''ve been let down too many times now. A one nil lead makes us edgy. A two nil lead gets us "rocking" until it goes, as it inevitably does, to two one with twenty minutes to go. We know our Norwich. We get edgy. That''s what were trained to do. Grant has to either get used to that, or get the team playing like Real Madrid to make things more comfy for us. To call us a disgrace is a disgrace. What can I do, on my own, to make a 25,000 crowd stop being edgy and suddenly start backing the team? Not much. Let Grant try getting a crowd going whilst sitting (yes sitting) in a seat surrounded by people who are convinced we are going to concede at any minute. If I alone, was to get out of my seat and urge the fans to sing, I would be mocked by fans and told to sit down by stewarts.The answer is to all stand up en masse and cheer, even when the team are playing the worst football seen here for many a season and the match is as interesting as a weekend in Ipswich. It won''t happen. It''s like making a public speech in front of 25000 people. 99% of folk don''t want to do it. It would help the atmosphere if the three other stands at Carrow Rd made a miniscule effort to put down their knitting and get behind the team though.

Playing Robbinson and Hughes instead of Safri

Playing Hucks on the right

Playing Docs in mid-field against Stoke

Blaming the players instead of accepting he cocked up against Stoke

Dropping Dublin for the Ipswich game

Playing Chadwick in a ridiculous formation against Ipswich

Criticising the players in the press

Calling his own fans a disgrace

Blaming everyone but himself for when things go wrong.

He’s done quite a lot right too IMO but you did ask.

Fair enough Hairy - but...I wouldn''t be playing Safri - I''ve had enough of players deciding if they''re fit enough. If Saf''s ''flu'' was genuine against the binners, then he''s unlikely to be fit for a 90 minute run 6 days later.Hucks may be more threatening down the left, but he was the best right-sided option we had on Saturday, unless you''d rather go Worthy''s route and ask the rookie kid to play out of position and risk ruining him?PG had the players practising their roles for the Stoke game all week in the run-up to the game and they all seemed comfortable with it in training. It''s a shame these ''professional footballers are so incapable of adapting to change.Dropping Dublin was a big ricket - a true howler, I agree.How was Chadwick''s position/the formation ridiculous against Ippo? He started wide right and was allowed to drift - just like Hucks on the left.I think the players deserve a public wake-up, but that''s a decision we have to make individually and I respect your opinion.I agree the word ''disgrace'' was poorly chosen, however it was said in the flare of disappointment of dropping 2 points. We''ll see if he back-tracks, it may be wise to expand on his post-match comments today, or tomorrow, before we play Leicester. The fans are still trying to raise themselves from the low-point of Worthington''s last few months in charge. Peter needs to understand how difficult many still find it to give their whole-hearted support to the team, particularly when the performances are scratchy - we''ve had to put up with a lot of rubbish recently.I appreciate you say he''s done a lot right too, but I felt you were being a little harsh in you rlist of faults (PG should understand a hard critic though, eh? Maybe you''re the same star sign [:)])

[quote user="John Boubepo"]

If you are looking in PG - look at both your wrists/hands - the one with your watch on is your left, the one you wipe your @ with is your right!!

[/quote]

Traditionally you should wipe your arse with your left (and do all "dirty" stuff with your left) and use your right for eating and touching other people (like when you shake hands - both people use their right hand) - i.e. all the "clean" stuff.

So... your analogy is poorly made. Sorry.

I''ll be ''rocking'' on Tuesday night.....in my armchair in front of the fire.

Some kind of message needs to be sent to the club, the manager and his players. My message is to miss this game and show that we are better than mere lambs being led to the slaughter.....It''s the only weapon we have and the only way to show disapproval. 24,000 bums on seats again will say everything about how accepting we are as fan''s......and that will be music to their ears.

Lets be fair to PG, he has inherited a dodgy squad full of misfits and average players.  Lets wait until january when he has a chance to bring in his own players who will work in his own system.

Then, maybe we will see a better norwich city.  In the meantime lets take on board his criticism and try and get behind the team.  See if we can help the club get a bit of momentum going into the the busy (and critical) holiday season.

I was at the game saturday and I must say that I also thought the atmosphere was rubbish, I also thought that the mass exodus and boo''s was a little bit harsh.  I concede that it wasn''t an inspiring performance from Norwich, but look at the team and look at who was missing.

Finally, damn we miss Leon Mackenzie.  His work rate and erratic style of play I thought was a real crowd motivator.  We need a couple of players with his sort of passion.  I think Andy Hughes could be like that, if only the crowd would get off his back and encourage him a little.

Disgrace is the wrong word to use but Grant is right to some extent. Booing Andy Hughes onto the field 2 minutes after we''d scored  isn''t  really going to give the players a lift is it? I agree with him that we (the supporters) have to accept the ball being stuck in the corner if we''re holding a lead. We need to learn to be hard to beat - hence the amount of 1-0 wins recently. I think he''s trying to get the players'' heads focused that way - and when he''s done that, we''ll probably see us playing more freely. It would help if players like McVeigh actually made the effort, mind - and that''s what ends up p1ssing us off in the stands.Swings and roundabouts eh?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Salopian - Nothing wrong with speaking your mind, but to call the fans a "disgrace"?, I would say he is guilty of laying blame at the wrong door.[/quote]

Its interesting isnt it. The fans are unfallable, no one is allowed to question their performance when it was quite clearly the fans that got the promotion team the extra impetus to get automatic promotion.

Personaly, some of the fans that come on here could be called a disgrace, and some that think they are "supporters" really are kidding themselves by defenition.

Interestingly he didn''t blame the loss on them, he did blame low spirits and a lack of confidence on the fact that the atmospher at the ground is not incuraging the players to play better.

I mentioned this as a factor of Worthington going last season, I said that it doesnt matter who we bring in as long as the crowd on match days drop the whole "someone died in here" act. They haven''t either through habbit or because they may quite depressingly enjoy it!

Someone else on here said that we are the decendents of the Icini, well I should imaging that if our support is anything to go by they probably wouldnt bother getting out of bed to tackle the Romans if their chance came up again.

I mean I am sorry, but people want this possitive vibe to come from the team but they dont encurage it. Look at Celtic, they get behind their team one hundred percent, as do Liverpool. In the media they call it the defening wall of noise. The last time I heard that noise was the home game to Man U in the premiership only after we went one goal ahead.

We want Carrow Road to be a fortress once more? Then I hope that someone decides to man it!

He''s guilty of being the only person inside that ground (supporters and players) that had passion and expressed his concern about the lack of passion, trying to fire everyone else up so there would be passion and atmosphere tomorrow.

Big Crime!!!

being a complete pratt blaming the fans for his teams displays, playing to many players out of position, poor tactical subs, leaving the best midfielder in safri on the bench,

playing his favorite player robinson in any midfield place he can fit him in, playing doc at the scummers in stead of dublin, continually criticizing hux ( he is now playing with no confidence ). playing mcviegh who is a joke instead of giving a jarvis or spillane a run in the team. not apologizing today for his disgrace comment.

i could go on but cant be bothered.

not bad for just 6 weeks.

What is he guilty of?  Insulting the fans.  They pay good money to see football played.  If you see a bad theatre performance you don''t applaud, so why should you cheer at a rubbish football match?

Get the team to play football and he will get the response he wants. 

He is now guilty again of not apologising. 

ANOTHER arogant manager?

[quote user="cluckaduck"]

I''ll be ''rocking'' on Tuesday night.....in my armchair in front of the fire.

Some kind of message needs to be sent to the club, the manager and his players. My message is to miss this game and show that we are better than mere lambs being led to the slaughter.....It''s the only weapon we have and the only way to show disapproval. 24,000 bums on seats again will say everything about how accepting we are as fan''s......and that will be music to their ears.

[/quote]

the club alread have our money cluck. they wouldnt give 2 hoots if we didnt show up. they are all right till may!

jas :)

[quote user="chicken"]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Salopian - Nothing wrong with speaking your mind, but to call the fans a "disgrace"?, I would say he is guilty of laying blame at the wrong door.[/quote]

Its interesting isnt it. The fans are unfallable, no one is allowed to question their performance when it was quite clearly the fans that got the promotion team the extra impetus to get automatic promotion.

Personaly, some of the fans that come on here could be called a disgrace, and some that think they are "supporters" really are kidding themselves by defenition.

Interestingly he didn''t blame the loss on them, he did blame low spirits and a lack of confidence on the fact that the atmospher at the ground is not incuraging the players to play better.

I mentioned this as a factor of Worthington going last season, I said that it doesnt matter who we bring in as long as the crowd on match days drop the whole "someone died in here" act. They haven''t either through habbit or because they may quite depressingly enjoy it!

Someone else on here said that we are the decendents of the Icini, well I should imaging that if our support is anything to go by they probably wouldnt bother getting out of bed to tackle the Romans if their chance came up again.

I mean I am sorry, but people want this possitive vibe to come from the team but they dont encurage it. Look at Celtic, they get behind their team one hundred percent, as do Liverpool. In the media they call it the defening wall of noise. The last time I heard that noise was the home game to Man U in the premiership only after we went one goal ahead.

We want Carrow Road to be a fortress once more? Then I hope that someone decides to man it!

[/quote]

Absolute plop.........

I think Grant has a point. We were 1-0 up with 15 minutes to go and the atmosphere was as quiet (or even negative) for the remainder of the game. Levels of support do influence games - and I think we could have gotten behind them more.

Yes the team played cr*p, and it is totally fair to criticise this - in fact it is essential. But some of the comments on here make us sound like a gang of five year olds who have just been insulted in the playground. I personally couldn''t care less what he calls me, I am much more concerned with how the team play - and perhaps it was a ploy to get a better atmosphere tomorrow night. If so, it is one that admittedly appears to have back-fired.

Just as long as he doesn''t dare to criticise me again or I''ll have to go and tell my Mum [:D].

Arrogance isn''t a bad thing when used in the right context.

My advice for tuesday, for everyone.  From the first whistle to full time get up, sing, show passion and back the team to the hilt.  IF after 90 minutes we have witnessed another non-performance then show your displeasure in whatever manner you see fit.  The important thing is to show passion during the game.

PG won''t apologise, he is too proud for that.  I for one applaud his stance, he could have chosen his words better agreed, but I am just glad that someone high profile has had the balls to say what a lot of people have been thinking.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Arrogance isn''t a bad thing when used in the right context.

My advice for tuesday, for everyone.  From the first whistle to full time get up, sing, show passion and back the team to the hilt.  IF after 90 minutes we have witnessed another non-performance then show your displeasure in whatever manner you see fit.  The important thing is to show passion during the game.

PG won''t apologise, he is too proud for that.  I for one applaud his stance, he could have chosen his words better agreed, but I am just glad that someone high profile has had the balls to say what a lot of people have been thinking.

[/quote]Agree. It was a bad choice of words, but the support was rubbish on Saturday.Seems the truth hurts for some of our more fair weather "I might sing a bit if we go 3 goals up" supporters.I was there, I don''t feel insulted by it. Our support was no better than the players efforts. Some of you need to grow a thinker skin and stop being such pansies about it.

Surely the way to prove Grant right or wrong is to give the team the support and atmosphere he wants for a few games (after all, what harm can it do?). If performances improve, the guy was right. If performances don''t improve he can''t lay the blame at our door any more.