Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Fifty Million Reasons!

50 million quid, thats the prize for the promoted Championship teams this season!. Although reported in the Sun, it was also mentioned in other national newspapers and on Shy sports too. And all because of the billions earned by the Premiership being shared out between its clubs, so its vital that City pull out all the stops to go for promotion.

Sure as hell, the other Championship teams will in January, so the board must take a gamble and back Granty with hard cash in the transfer window. I don''t wanna hear the timid replies of the  ''what if we fail'' brigade, we had that when City first went in for Hucks, and look how that turned out!.

No, this season could make Norwich big time, but we need a gutsy board for that, not a timid and prudent one!. And I''m afraid that they haven''t the balls to gamble for this big a prize, do you agree?.

We got 25 million last time and hardly turned a profit. The premiership experience spoiled Norwich as a Club I know to some extent. If we get promotion I hope we manage a squad as Reading have and not bring in a host of over-paid prima donnas and keep our identity. That sort of money should IMO be used for a larger squad of sensibly good players (not Helveg types) to provide prover positional cover and to pay off debt while enlarging the stadia. If we failed to stay up then a proper profit would easily fund another promotion push in the mediocre Championship.

As I said earlierin the season - this is the year to get promoted (or not relegated if already up there) as the rewards will be enourmous.

Surely worth an investment in the team in Jan if we can stay in the chasing pack until then?

Agreed. With such a windfall possible on promotion....and still being in touch with the leading pack.....it really will indicate just how much ambition this club has when the transfer window comes round. If PG can get so much out of the shower he inherited......then Delia and Co. must show confidence in him and let him have a proper go.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

50 million quid, thats the prize for the promoted Championship teams this season!. Although reported in the Sun, it was also mentioned in other national newspapers and on Shy sports too. And all because of the billions earned by the Premiership being shared out between its clubs, so its vital that City pull out all the stops to go for promotion.

Sure as hell, the other Championship teams will in January, so the board must take a gamble and back Granty with hard cash in the transfer window. I don''t wanna hear the timid replies of the  ''what if we fail'' brigade, we had that when City first went in for Hucks, and look how that turned out!.

No, this season could make Norwich big time, but we need a gutsy board for that, not a timid and prudent one!. And I''m afraid that they haven''t the balls to gamble for this big a prize, do you agree?.

[/quote]

The thing is, Wiz, that the risk in forking out for Hucks was minimal. The team at Christmas that year was top of the table on the back of his loan performances and he had very clearly proved the difference he made to the team. Many fans made the point at the time that with Hucks in the team as it was at the time, promotion was a very strong possibility. Who would you invest in at this moment in time who offers the same minimal level of risk as the Huckerby purchase? There is nobody out there who would fill us with the same certainty of promotion if we were to push the boat out to sign them. I do take your point about needing to invest to be successful, though, and I would love to see PG unearth a diamond or two from affordable sources to make a real difference to the squad.

I only wish it was as simple as "back him and we''ll get promoted".

But last time I checked, we''re one of 15 clubs that have a realistic chance of promotion. We need to make a real go of it, but not do a "Watford" (under Vialli) and nearly bankrupt the club.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

The long term stability of the club is more important than short term gains we most only spend what we can afford.

[/quote]

I''m sorry ''Say Hello to the Angels'' but your attitude is one that I can''t abide. Yes, you have a perfect rght to express your opinion, but its a far too prudent and soft opinion for my likes I''m afraid. I also think its unambitious and negative.

I can only suggest that you would be quite happy and content with a safe and dull mid table obscurity.................well sorry......................I won''t!.

And I don''t think Granty will either!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]                                                                                                                                                                                                    

You sweet dear old thing ,we all know you  are lovely , and you are right on the ball , i do agree with you ,Yes 100% , Wiz you have posted something right for a change , is it my influence on you ? I went to your town in that other county once , it was full of people with blue shirts on and cart horse''s on their chest , i won''t be going there anymore .

SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!!!

There''s no pockets in your coffin!.........

Earn it! Then burn it!.........HP! LOANS! BORROW! BORROW! BORROW! DEBT? PAH!!!

Demolish the restyrunts, and be rid of the corporate cookery thingy and that horrendous executive relief "are yer lookin fer biznezz luv?" 1* B & B Hotel!

Only terracing around the ground! Return the game of football to the menfolk! No women allowed into the stadium, (unless they are dressed as blokes!)........

Get rid of all the fancy dan lagers and trendy drinkies - and bring back mild and bitter!

Everyone has to ride a butcher''s bike - or drive a Baby Austin or a Ford Popular! 

De-mob suits - and best cap and shoes to be worn on Sundays!

Ban mobile phones!

Ladies to wear clothing above the kneckline and below the knee!

Queensbury rules for fisticuffs - when spillin'' out onto the streets at closin'' time, 10:30pm!

Fast food takeaway''s sellin'' bread and drippin and tea in enamel mugs!

Return to the ''good ole'' days'' and the re-introduction of black and white TV''s!

Who needs 50 million quid? We coped well enough all those years ago!

MONEY! What you''ve never had - you''ll never miss!

Mello.......More sexist, than a Bedfordshire Championship club manager!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Wiz - I saw this on BBC teletext, and thought the same as you. If true we really do have to gamble a little, and my feeling is that the board will back PG.....[/quote]

Off on a tangent here Boadicea......but do we Norfolk citizens have a national flag?..........

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

The long term stability of the club is more important than short term gains we most only spend what we can afford.

[/quote]

I''m sorry ''Say Hello to the Angels'' but your attitude is one that I can''t abide. Yes, you have a perfect rght to express your opinion, but its a far too prudent and soft opinion for my likes I''m afraid. I also think its unambitious and negative.

I can only suggest that you would be quite happy and content with a safe and dull mid table obscurity.................well sorry......................I won''t!.

[/quote]

So what''s the answer then 1st Wizard, spend money we haven''t got? Where are we going to get that from then? The banks won''t cough up money for transfer fees, are you offering too, or do you expect Delia to put her hand in her pocket yet again?

My understanding of the new situation is that a promoted club will be guaranteed 50 million - even if relegated after one year - made up as follows:

30 million in first season after promotion

10 million parachute payment first season down

10 million parachute payment second season down

Thus, total reward would be 50 million over 3 seasons, or an average of 16.67 million per season.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Presumably this means that the reward for getting up and staying 3 seasons would be

3 x 30 = 90 million. Plus 2 x 10 parachutes = 20 million. The total over the 5 seasons would then be  110 million - or 22 million average per season.

................................................................................................................................................................ 

Whichever way you take it, it''s good work if you can get it!

C''mon now Peter & Delia, let''s see what you''re really made of.

Time for ambition to nudge ahead of prudence methinks.

OTBC.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what''s the answer then 1st Wizard, spend money we haven''t got? Where are we going to get that from then? The banks won''t cough up money for transfer fees, are you offering too, or do you expect Delia to put her hand in her pocket yet again?

[/quote]

Gazza:

I refer you to the excellent post by Bye Bye Blades. You of all posters should understand my point and arguement, I''m truely dissapointed in you!. Yes, I do expect Delia to dig deep, she wanted the bloody job didn''t she?.

If she doesn''t, or can''t help out, she should make room for someone who can!. You just watch Leicester in January!.

Wizard, I think you were originally thinking of gazzathegreat. Even when you apologised, it probably should have been in her direction. You really don''t want to apologise to Gazza TCC do you, because your original disagreement stands. It does appear, Wizard, that your little cells are starting to go cloudy. Now sit calmy, take a deep breath and say three times, "I want to be the man I was, I want to be the man I was, I want to be the man I was." Then wave the wand and hope for the best.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My heart bleeds for poor old Delia....May I politely ask who it was that got the club into so much debt by concentrating on the wrong issues.....principally her own culinary empire building? The team we have is an insult to the many thousands of loyal fans who got behind her and trusted the board to show genuine ambition. Quite frankly...if DS and Co. can''t find the readies they should step aside and allow us to find someone who can.....and that won''t happen as long as she continues the stranglehold she has on progress. Big money must come with some control for the investor....and I just can''t see her giving up her favourite toy simply because it would be good for the club and supporters. DS is happy with ''little old Norwich'' because it serves her publicity needs.....and now she is relaxing with PG in the chair and the Worthington protests firmly behind her..

The water is now calm...and she won''t be looking to cause any ripples if she can avoid it. That means Championship football for all of us for the forseeable future.....and an easy ride for the Board with the ever so forgiving Norwich fans. We quite frankly deserve much better.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Wizard, I think you were originally thinking of gazzathegreat. Even when you apologised, it probably should have been in her direction. You really don''t want to apologise to Gazza TCC do you, because your original disagreement stands. It does appear, Wizard, that your little cells are starting to go cloudy. Now sit calmy, take a deep breath and say three times, "I want to be the man I was, I want to be the man I was, I want to be the man I was." Then wave the wand and hope for the best.[/quote]

Take your point YC, I failed to spot that!. My cells, as you call them, clouded up years ago mate, and are I''m afraid, quite beyond any magic I can muster!.

You''ll just have to put up with it, my dear old nemisis you.[;)]