Sign in to follow this  
Meeky

Derby day memories ..

As someone has done this on another forum thought I''d put it on here as well. What''s your best memories of bygone Derby days?

Mine.
1976-1977 away in s(umsville Tuesday 15th February 77 (had to look it up).
Was still at Fakenham Grammar School and we had asked the teachers to get a minibus to the game, but alas to no avail! So me and my mate decided to bunk off and hitch to the game from Fakenham. Went off to school as normal in school uniform (to fool our parents), got changed into other clothes and out came the silk scarves for around our wrists! Got one lift from Fakenham to Norwich, walked across Norwich (via the market for chips) then one lift to s(umsville. We got there about 12.30 for an evening kick off! Two 16yr olds in s(umsville, pooing ourselves as we were trying to avoid the bands of neanderthals roaming the streets. Only got better about 5ish when City started to arrive, got involved with some older lads, trashed a pub and made our way to the game. Me and my mate didn''t have tickets so ended up in the Cobbold stand (I think) with the binners. At half time an announcement came on the tannoy "would Paul M... and Robert N..... please meet their parents after the game at the players entrance" The school had phoned up asking why we weren''t at school and everybody had put 2 and 2 together correctly. We wre pooing ourselves and to make matters worse we got spanked 5 nil, then we got sussed by the binners and ended up having to fight our way out of the stand. Then got a good kicking from my dad when I got home! Plus we had to do detentions for every lesson we missed.
That''s probably why this one sticks out in my mind!

I wasn''t there but I remember one report after a derby game at port-a-loo road where they were trying to get the FA to make us pay damages to thier stadium after seats had been ripped up presumably to be made into missiles etc.

The FA launched an investigation and discovered that the ripped up seats were not in the away supporters STAND let alone area, Ipswich retracted their claim with their binbags well and truly between their legs!

Celebrating like a loon when o''neills long range screamer hit the back of the net at portaloo rd  - whilst seated in the tahn directors box,  which was the only thing that saved me from a linching from the locals sat just inches away...

[quote user="chicken"]

I wasn''t there but I remember one report after a derby game at port-a-loo road where they were trying to get the FA to make us pay damages to thier stadium after seats had been ripped up presumably to be made into missiles etc.

The FA launched an investigation and discovered that the ripped up seats were not in the away supporters STAND let alone area, Ipswich retracted their claim with their binbags well and truly between their legs!

[/quote]That was when we were hammered 5-0, 97?  There were definitely some seats ripped out in the Norwich section.....

Norwich 3, Ipswich 1 - 1996/97 the season, and I was heading back afterwards as an 11 year old with my family to catch the train after a bit of a delay. The delay was to let the scummers get their train first. Didn''t quite go to plan - the vast majority missed their train! Coupled with the 3-1 loss, the station was crammed with hundreds of scum fans who weren''t very happy, and it wasn''t an enjoyable experience for my first local derby!!!

20th March 1995, four days after my son was born. Beat them 3-0, John Wark got sent off. Last time we played them in the Premier League too. Everyone thought that just about made us safe. Sadly not [:@]

I remember us getting hammered 5-0 by Ipsh*t at Colin Viljoen''s testimonial.......not a happy night and my pal got knocked out by a flying boiled sweet.........an orange one I think it was.

Portman Road. Tuesday, 14th August 1972. City''s second ever match in the top flight. Ron Saunders and Bobby Robson in the dugouts.

Kevin Keelan, Geoff Butler, Clive Payne, Dave Stringer, Duncan Forbes, Max Briggs, Doug Livermore, Jimmy Bone, David Cross, Graham Paddon, Terry Anderson.

Sub: Phil Hubbard

City took the lead through Terry Anderson , Town equalised before half-time (through one Bryan Hamilton,I think). Midway through the second half Jimmy Bone scored our winner.

1-2 City!!!!![:D]

OTBC

Best memories are the obvious ones, such as Leons double sending us top (on my birthday as well!!!), and the Milk Cup Semi 2nd leg. However one that does stand out for me was actually a defeat. It was the Milk Cup Semi 1st Leg, the biggest derby in years, maybe ever. We were a goal down in about 10 minutes, and playing terrible. (Think Stoke away!!) As the game went on Ip***ch missed chance after chance after chance and come full time and only a 1-0 defeat we all knew we were going to Wembley. I remember the look on some of the binners faces in the north stand at full time, and they knew as well. The rest as they say is history: Steve Bruce scored an 86th min winner, Terry Butcher had a cry and put his foot through a door, and we went off to Wembley.

So many good (and bad), but my only trip to Poorman Road, to see the 2-0 win under Hamilton (our saviour, we thought!) is second only to the Milk Cup semi 2nd leg and that header by Bruce! Standing in the Barclay, with my dad, binmen of all colours climbing the security fence between us (gobbing and chucking coins - to be fair they took some back too). When Bruce scored and we all turned to abuse them - they''d disappeared! ''Where''s your ******* on the fence?'' was the chant - my pc-conscience tells me I shouldn''t have found that funny, but as a 16-year-old I was wetting myself laughing.We raced home to see the highlights on Sportsnight and laughed as Ken Brown described how Bruce climbed above everyone to score the winner - they replayed the goal for him, Bruce barely left the ground! [Y]

I was at the game when O''Neill scored in the last minute to give us a 3-2 win. After the game this woman wearing Ipswich stuff came up to me and said ''Well done. You played very well''.

I was gutted. I didnt want them to be magnanimous in defeat. I wanted them to be sick as pigs.

[:P][quote user="Kathy"]

I was at the game when O''Neill scored in the last minute to give us a 3-2 win. After the game this woman wearing Ipswich stuff came up to me and said ''Well done. You played very well''.

I was gutted. I didnt want them to be magnanimous in defeat. I wanted them to be sick as pigs.

[/quote]

The last time we lost at Portman Road, as we were walking back, my friend and I were punched on the back of our heads and, in an action tainted with a little less ''macho-ness'', chucked my friend''s hat off the bridge into the river. Maybe they behave worse when the win?

To be fair, a couple of other Ipswich fans came up to us on our trains a bit later, apologised and gave my mate a fiver for a new hat. It just depends who you come across...

The aforementioned me, and my mate (our assistant manager''s son at the time no less (who am I impressing?![^o)])) also had the ''joy'' of being filmed as the ''typical'' City fans with head in hands and looking stunned as the game approached its end on Anglia TV''s Soccer Sunday... ger-reat...

Still, the next few trips more than made up for it...

for many of the younger posters on here probably all they have seen of Ipswich is the walk from the train station to the ground and back ,back in the day a morning arrival  was the norm for a night game few beers wind the locals up you know the stuff years that stand out for me were the visits in 1980 twice,1982,1985 ,1993 and 2003 good memories

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Celebrating like a loon when o''neills long range screamer hit the back of the net at portaloo rd  - whilst seated in the tahn directors box,  which was the only thing that saved me from a linching from the locals sat just inches away...[/quote]

Certainly remember that one - back of the terraces with the City fan and managed to completely smash my one day old christmas present watch from my mum & dad (it was a boxing day match).

Got a right ear-bashing you can be sure, but I think my Dad sneakingly understood (although never said so!!).