Sign in to follow this  
Mariner

The Blame Game

Listening to the Radio Norfolk ''phone-in after what seems to have been a disaster of major proportions, I was struck by one caller who proclaimed, "So it wasn''t Worthington''s fault then?".   Was the man not here for the best part of six years, is this thin, weak squad not his creation, did he not have autonomy in team affairs?   This is a club where one can always rely upon the most appalling judgements being made, the country is littered with former Norwich youth players.  One shouldn''t be suprised that another one popped in two goals today.  At least it wasn''t Danny Crow, had he been kept, who knows, he might have been doing that for us.  When will it be understood, as Darren Eadie said very well on the radio today, if you haven''t got ball winners in midfield, how on earth can you expect to progress.  The mid-field is the priority and has been for a long time, we can''t afford to field  such players as Robinson and Hughes.

I agree with 95% of your comments but I don''t think Peter Grant is entirely blameless.

1.  It was Grant''s decision to drop Dublin in favour of Doherty.  Without Doherty and Fleming our defence looks fairly solid.   

2.  The weaknesses of this team are obvious and imo it has taken Grant far too long to bring an outfield player in on loan.  Why was Ashdown bought in on loan when at best he is not better that Gallacher, and Lee Camp had already been bought in as a back-up?

3.  Hughes and Robinson get picked every week because Grant is not prepared to give any of the youngesters a decent run in the team.

3.  Some of Grant''s tactics and team selection have been nothing but bizarre.  Grant has still to prove himself worthy of managing NCFC.

I agree. We are suffering from the mess that Nigel Worthington and the boards hesitation and reluctatance to replace him. Todays game showed again what poor players both Hughes and Robinson are. That is the area of the pitch Peter Grant has to address in January. Maybe it needs a loan player such as Noble from West Ham coming in with Grants connections. But in the mean time give Spillane and Rossi Jarvis their shirts, at least they will wear them with some pride and commitment and they have got to be better players anyway! 

I think grant is giving all the senoir players and i use that word

loosley a chance to either show him what they can or cant do and he

will then jetison the dross and replace them with his own choice 

and only then can we  truely judge him  on his abilities as a

manager   OTBC

[quote user="andy laz"]I think grant is giving all the senoir players and i use that word loosley a chance to either show him what they can or cant do and he will then jetison the dross and replace them with his own choice  and only then can we  truely judge him  on his abilities as a manager   OTBC
[/quote]

How many more times does he have to watch Hughes and Robinson to relise they are c--p.  We could have gone seventh today one point off the play-offs;  with two relatively easy home games in Hull and Leicester.  Grant made a mistake today in bringing Doherty back in and in persisting with Robinson and Hughes in midfield.  Mind you it could have ben worse, he could have brought that deadly striker Thorne off the bench.

Doherty has been talking to the media all week about how desperate he was to get back in again, and look what happened.

I can''t wait to see the pink''un report next week stating that Fleming is back in traing, and is looking forward to getting in the side again.

I agree Scott, PG is not entirely blameless. After watching the game with my two grandsons aged 14 and 12, they have informed me that they do not want me to renew their season tickets for next season. Probably a reaction to the way the team played and the result and I am sure that they will change their minds, but they do make some valid points. They are convinced that yet again dear Delia has made a managerial mistake in appointing PG (remember Rioch and Hamilton and to a large extent, Worthington) and because of her incompetence in football matters, more misery and under achievement are in store. Why does she not stick to culinary matters and leave the football side to those that understand it they ask.

Even they know that you do not change a winning team and for PG to commit this elementary error is unforgivable in their eyes. As for him to accuse his team of having lazy minds, slating them in public and not accept that he too might have been at fault with his team selection, indicates that to them he has a lot to learn.  

They also cannot understand why PG has stated that he is happy to retain Worthington’s coaching and scouting teams. To them, this retention is part and parcel of the malaise and underperformance that was largely responsible for Worthington’s fall from grace and for PG’s problems now. If PG is to stay- and it seems that he will – I agree with them that he needs to surround himself with a more competent team to advise him if he is to succeed. Get rid of those incompetents now and consign Delia to the kitchen where she belongs.