Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Idiots who don't like PG

This has really annoyed me recently, how ''fans'' say how PG has been rubbish so far, or ''we have got a monkey'' in another post. Bloomin'' heck, have you people lost all sense of reality. Yes, dropping Dion was a mistake, but come on, he has inherited an average at best squad with 2 or 3 quality players in it. We have risen from around 20th to just a few points outside the play-offs, and we have beaten some very good sides.

Yes, it has not been brilliant, but it has been a vast improvement. So stop your bleedin'' moaning that he isn''t good enough, and judge him once he has had his chance to stamp his authority on the side, and has spent some dosh as well. 

Absolutely spot on! My feelings exactly, people who think hes been poor so far needs to sort themselves out, a new manager was never going to win all his games, and this month has been as difficult as any this season, PG is the man, so stand by him and wait for the success to unfold...

I have to agree with your coments, we cannot yet judge PG .He  has

been dealt a duff hand with  some of worhingtons wasters so until

he shuffles his pack and gets his own players i think its best we lay

off him .Obviously everyone was upset with sundays no show but 

the only people who should take the  flack is are numbers 33

&17  your time is up OTBC

I don''t know why you bother to worry about such drivel these guys write they have not got a football brain cell to rub together if they think Granty is going to wave a magic wand and all will be rosy in the NCFC garden ,only realist''s like you guys know that it will take time and money to turn this ship around and yes a few mistake''s will be made along the way but i''m prepared to trust Granty to get us on the right track.

As the original 1st Idiot!, I don''t want to say too much (because I don''t have a football brain) but I don''t like Peter Grant, and I''m not sure the players he''s slagged off do either.

Lets give the man a chance, let him get his own team in and then see , i will admit he was not my choice but i am behind him 100% , he is trying to make a" silk purse out of pigs ear " with what Worthy left him, but come on city fans lets get behind him ,

So if the only people who should take the flak are numbers 33 & 17 how come people with suppoosed football brains can''t see it???

Will some of the great football brains that post on here please tell me why Nigel Worthington, Peter Grant and John Toshack have all played Carl Robinson as first choice at every available opportunity throughout this season?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So if the only people who should take the flak are numbers 33 & 17 how come people with suppoosed football brains can''t see it???

Will some of the great football brains that post on here please tell me why Nigel Worthington, Peter Grant and John Toshack have all played Carl Robinson as first choice at every available opportunity throughout this season?

[/quote]My opinion is that the majority out our players are definately good enough to make up a promotion winning side as on a few occasions this season we have totally dominated a side playing some brilliant football. The problem is they don''t feel the pressure from squad depth to keep that level of performace for as much as Grant and previously Worthington may have wanted they no there are no real alternatives. With Carl Robinson he plays for Wales regularly because he puts the performances in as he knows if he doesn''t he is out of the side and so he''s playing on merit. It should be the same here but for reasons we''ve already talked about over and over the squad just does have the depth and those in the side know they have no competition. That I hope will change in January.

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]My opinion is that the majority out our players are definately good enough to make up a promotion winning side as on a few occasions this season we have totally dominated a side playing some brilliant football. The problem is they don''t feel the pressure from squad depth to keep that level of performace for as much as Grant and previously Worthington may have wanted they no there are no real alternatives. With Carl Robinson he plays for Wales regularly because he puts the performances in as he knows if he doesn''t he is out of the side and so he''s playing on merit. It should be the same here but for reasons we''ve already talked about over and over the squad just does have the depth and those in the side know they have no competition. That I hope will change in January.[/quote]Just to point out I''ve just spotted a number of mistakes with spelling and so on before people jump on me for being thick and not having a valid opinion which seems to often be the way on this site... and thats not aimed at you Nutty = )

[/quote]I don''t have a crystal ball but I guess it would be down to desperation by all 3 managers - is that the right answer?

Well.....Robinson starting is like this:

Worthington played him and where is Worthy now??

Wales play him yes - but they also have players who play in league 1 - So nothing really to write home about!!

Grant has started him - He has to look at all his ''squad'' and I am sure he will bring in a few more midfielders by the end of Jan.

Safri was a big miss - I don''t think you can play hughes, robinson & etuhu in the midde, 3 battlers who normally give 100% yet have no flare. A long ball to Ernie is not the way forward, he needs balls down the channels and the three in the middle are not capable of this.

I may be wrong but hey - that is what my football brain tells me!!

[/quote]

The answer to this is so simple.

It''s because there is no one else! For club or country. Wales are hardly fantastic are they?

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

The answer to this is so simple.

It''s because there is no one else! For club or country. Wales are hardly fantastic are they?

[/quote]

The Official Site list the following  midfielders who could be used as an alternative to Robinson if the manager so chose to do so : Croft, Chadwick, Safri, Hughes, Etuhu, Eagle, Spillane, Cave-Brown, Fisk and Martin. Add to these McVeigh, Huckerby and Henderson who could/have all been used in a 442 midfield. I don''t know enough about Wales but I would imagine there are even more alternatives available to Toshack.

Rasputin makes a lot of sense because he is trying to analyse why good players aren''t performing to the ability the managers know they can. It''s entirely possible that players like Robinson feel their place is secure so they have no need to perform week in week out.

For my money Worthington never got to the bottom of setting the team out in such a way that he got the best out of his players and to that regard nothing has changed under Grant. Maybe it can''t be done with the combination of players we have, maybe they just will never be compatible to play together as a team.

Rasputin, my spelling is cr*p too, so is my grammar! And I''m old enough to know better [:)]

As an average idiot , with no brains , period ,   allow me to drool on  ........  

Firstly , I doubt that Grant  looks into this forum ,  but if he does  , get knotted !  [:D]

That was a dumb move on his part  to put  Doc in defence   in preference to Dublin  ,  it later turns out that  this was because Dublin said he wants to be a striker !    correct me if I`m wrong  , but I thought Grant was a manager  ?   whats the prob , did Strachan   give you orders ?    did he  also give instructions to get on Hucks back too ?   if there`s no answer from you  , I`ll take it as  thats the truth .....  [;)]

...........and Robinson nows plays with Jason Koumas for Wales so they know what their roles are. That means Robinson playing the holding Claude Makalele type role in front of the two centre backs.  At Norwich those three players are so similar they are going to get in the way with no one in front but Earnie or Huckerby.

[quote user="sheded"]

As an average idiot , with no brains , period ,   allow me to drool on  ........  

Firstly , I doubt that Grant  looks into this forum ,  but if he does  , get knotted !  [:D]

That was a dumb move on his part  to put  Doc in defence   in preference to Dublin  ,  it later turns out that  this was because Dublin said he wants to be a striker !    correct me if I`m wrong  , but I thought Grant was a manager  ?   whats the prob , did Strachan   give you orders ?    did he  also give instructions to get on Hucks back too ?   if there`s no answer from you  , I`ll take it as  thats the truth .....  [;)]

[/quote]

Can I just ask what your problem with Strachan is, not having a go just curious. His name seems to pop up in a lot of your posts. He got s fairly decent result last night I believe.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

Can I just ask what your problem with Strachan is, not having a go just curious. His name seems to pop up in a lot of your posts. He got s fairly decent result last night I believe.

[/quote]

Well , as long as your not having a go [:P]   its like this ...... Its well known that  Strachan and Grant  wear the same kilt !     These haggis bashers stick together ....... also , Strachan always seems to be on Hucks case !   when he was manager of Coventry, ( before he got sacked after he`d sold Hucks )  , he was forever  picking on Hucks  ,  even though he was Covs top scorer , couldn`t get his head around  Hucks style ....

Strachan just seems to have it in for Hucks !   didn`t he come to see Norwich  play this year  [ somebody may remember the exact match ? )   and sneered  , " I`ve just come to see if Huckerby`s still offside most of the time " .

Its just a case of putting two and two together  , Grant`s  an ex Celtic player  , Strachan is now  a Celtic manager ,  Dublin  is a Celtic reject   ,    so I think  both Grant and Strachan   do some heavy yakking together  !   this leads me to believe that Grant is taking " advice " from Strachan  in how to " deal "  with Hucks  .....  hence Grants  weird  orders  for Hucks to  work harder , etc etc ....    this would NOT have gone down well with Hucks , who , since that  " advice ,  hasn`t played all that well !     and , for my money , its probably the straw that broke the camels back , Hucks wont  be here too much longer ....

IMO  the Celtic connection  will be very evident  in the next  few months !   and Delia will have to put haggis on the menu   , and the bagpipes   will soon be heard over the tannoy 

OCH AYE   THE NOO  [:''(]

[quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

Problem is, Sheded, Strachan is a well-liked, humourous, witty soul and if football didn''t have this kind of charachter it would be dead to the core.

There''s too many dolls, puppets, yes-men and cliche-talkers in the game.

Strachan may not have had incredible success, but he is a good manager, a good coach and a top bloke.

And maybe, just maybe, he has a point about Hucks. Imagine how good he could have been if he was "coachable" ....

I agree with Sheded in as much as the Celtic and Scottish element will become a major part of Grant''s game plan at CR. This doesn''t necessarily have to be a bad thing....as there is a fair bit of talent tucked away up there who might not get the chance down south these days due to the influx of overseas players. They generally have a huge degree of passion and desire, which is what we need....so who knows.

Like Mook says though....as for Gordon Strachan, I think he is one of the ''special'' characters in the British game and I love him to bits. Great player....great pundit....and now showing his colours as a manager in Jockland. I''ll like him even more if he puts some good Scottish youngsters our way......because we need all the help we can get right now!

Firstly , I doubt that Grant  looks into this forum ,  but if he does  , get knotted !  [:)]....really luvved this bit though!

What troubles me is not that Grant plays people like Thorne and Hughes because he has to but the way he praises them in the press.  Perhaps he is just trying to build their confidence and if so, good on him.

If, he actually believes what he says about them being quality players then the next few months will be very interesting............................................

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

Problem is, Sheded, Strachan is a well-liked, humourous, witty soul and if football didn''t have this kind of charachter it would be dead to the core.

There''s too many dolls, puppets, yes-men and cliche-talkers in the game.

Strachan may not have had incredible success, but he is a good manager, a good coach and a top bloke.

And maybe, just maybe, he has a point about Hucks. Imagine how good he could have been if he was "coachable" ....

[/quote]

I can''t believe you''ve just said that c*ap Mook. Without Hucks this side would be awful. Remember before he came?. Strachan has sod all to do with OUR team, and he should keep it shut. Its bad enough his own manager slagging him off, without the bleating of some haggis munching dwarf stirring things up as well!.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

What troubles me is not that Grant plays people like Thorne and Hughes because he has to but the way he praises them in the press.  Perhaps he is just trying to build their confidence and if so, good on him.

If, he actually believes what he says about them being quality players then the next few months will be very interesting............................................

[/quote]

Why does he have to??

He plays them because he chooses to!

[quote user="sheded"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well , as long as your not having a go [:P]   its like this ...... Its well known that  Strachan and Grant  wear the same kilt !     These haggis bashers stick together ....... also , Strachan always seems to be on Hucks case !   when he was manager of Coventry, ( before he got sacked after he`d sold Hucks )  , he was forever  picking on Hucks  ,  even though he was Covs top scorer , couldn`t get his head around  Hucks style ....

Strachan just seems to have it in for Hucks !   didn`t he come to see Norwich  play this year  [ somebody may remember the exact match ? )   and sneered  , " I`ve just come to see if Huckerby`s still offside most of the time " .

Its just a case of putting two and two together  , Grant`s  an ex Celtic player  , Strachan is now  a Celtic manager ,  Dublin  is a Celtic reject   ,    so I think  both Grant and Strachan   do some heavy yakking together  !   this leads me to believe that Grant is taking " advice " from Strachan  in how to " deal "  with Hucks  .....  hence Grants  weird  orders  for Hucks to  work harder , etc etc ....    this would NOT have gone down well with Hucks , who , since that  " advice ,  hasn`t played all that well !     and , for my money , its probably the straw that broke the camels back , Hucks wont  be here too much longer ....

IMO  the Celtic connection  will be very evident  in the next  few months !   and Delia will have to put haggis on the menu   , and the bagpipes   will soon be heard over the tannoy 

[/quote]

Hucks and wee gordon were team mates at Leeds and Coventry... I think he was sharing an "in joke" with hucks sheded.

jas :)

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I can''t believe you''ve just said that c*ap Mook. Without Hucks this side would be awful. Remember before he came?. Strachan has sod all to do with OUR team, and he should keep it shut. Its bad enough his own manager slagging him off, without the bleating of some haggis munching dwarf stirring things up as well!.

[/quote]

O .....

K.

Now you''ve got that off your chest, perhaps you could show me the bit in my post where I said Hucks was rubbish?? Having the benefit of sight, I am fully aware of the fact that Hucks is our best player bar-none. In fact, apart from Eadie and Bellers, he is the most talented player to be at the club in 10+ years.

My point was ..... (peel back your lug-holes)   .... imagine how good Hucks could have been if he had been able to adapt to a more "team" oriented game-style.

An England player? Definitely.

And re all this slagging off of players, see Brian Clough as an example of a manager who got the best out of his players by belittling them. And he did alright.

And please watch your insults, you carrot-crunching, inbred yokel! (bet that gets moderated) There may be Scottish Norwich fans reading this board, and the cliched Scottish jokes are a bit embarrassing...

And re all this slagging off of players, see Brian Clough as an example of a manager who got the best out of his players by belittling them. And he did alright.   Mook

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah ,  have you read his book ?     I don`t think he belittled them .....  more like chastising them  as if he was their dad !   it was his style  , took the team for  mini breaks in some Med resort , where he got as  p*ssed  as the rest of the team !  ( his downfall eventually )  there were no prima donna`s  in his team   , it was all for one , and one for all  ,    my GOD  we could use the team he`d put together  ( with the great help  of Taylor !! )     but it couldn`t happen today   [:(]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point was ..... (peel back your lug-holes)   .... imagine how good Hucks could have been if he had been able to adapt to a more "team" oriented game-style.

An England player? Definitely.      .   Mook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hucks played the  " team game " well enough  for Cov and Mancity !   so much so that he got Mancity  into the prem !!      his reward for this   was reserve team football  , because the idiot Keegan  got his eager mitts on  some £60 M   ..........he thought it was Christmas every week !    they all saw him coming  , and offloaded every prem reject  onto him  .....  all that money spent , and Mancity  dived into the relegation ( and  bankrupt zone)  !  such was the vanity of Keegan , that even when it was all going tits up  , he couldn`t  make himself admit that  Hucks could turn things around  ....

I do think that Hucks  would have been an England player   , IF  the managers  he`d  been saddled with  had recommended  him  , but you just don`t get picked if your playing in the reserves [:@] 

This stuff about Hucks not being a team player is ballcocks.  He does his bit for the team in his own way.  If he can''t get a shot off or pass it he tries to win a free kick, penalty or throw in, and succeeds nearly every time.  If necessary he suckers the opposition into fouling him, and has the marks to prove it.  He can come off the bench and change a game.  He makes more goals than he scores (viz. Sunday).  It''s true that he is not defensively minded and can''t head it, but so bloody what?   

Talking of Sunday, I listened to the commentary on 5 Live which I assume was pretty neutral.  They kept saying that Hucks was having to come deep into his own half to get the ball.  Not the best use of his talents I''d say.  

He suffers when there is no real threat on the right, because the opposition know they can put two or three on him and we haven''t really got another outlet.  His best performances this season came in the first month, when he and Croft were both playing.  Then he got injured, and once he was fit Croft got injured.

He''s only a luxury player if all we''re aiming for is mid-table mediocrity.  We can manage that quite nicely without him.  But if this club has any ambition whatsoever, they HAVE to give him another contract. 

[quote user="mystic megson"]

This stuff about Hucks not being a team player is ballcocks.  He does his bit for the team in his own way.  If he can''t get a shot off or pass it he tries to win a free kick, penalty or throw in, and succeeds nearly every time.  If necessary he suckers the opposition into fouling him, and has the marks to prove it.  He can come off the bench and change a game.  He makes more goals than he scores (viz. Sunday).  It''s true that he is not defensively minded and can''t head it, but so bloody what?

[/quote]

FFS!!!!!!! AAAAaaaaaggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I''m not saying he doesn''t "do his bit for the team". I''m saying he can improve. Ok, it doesn''t really mean anything but I will now list (in my opinion) where I think Huckerby could improve his game without sacrificing his natural talent:

1, Drury dribbles toward Huckerby, and we are on the counter attack. Here Hucks could run away from goal behind Drury allowing him to overlap and draw a marker away, OR he could make inroads to the goal by running in between the full-back and Centre-back and getting them on the back foot. Instead he just stands there pointing at his feet. "Give me the ball". Drury then slows gradually to a halt and pretty much runs into Hucks. Now, sometimes Hucks then skins everyone and makes a chance all by himself (which is amazing) but 9 times out of 10 he doesn''t. Variety is the spice of life.

2, Hucks receives the ball on the touchline, fullback in front of him, central midfielder closing in and right winger tracking back. What does he do? We ALL know what he does, he gets his head down and dribbles. Again, sometimes he skins them all and makes a chance (which is amazing) but what if he knocked a quick ball into midfield and made a lung-busting run (WITHOUT the ball) to get the defender running towards their own goal?

3, When does he never appear anywhere other than the left touchline? Pass and move INSIDE, pull the defence out of shape, use your skill in a more central position, allow Drury to get in front of you and put yourself up against another marker. Scare the opposition a bit!

Just two ways Huckerby could improve his game without sacrificing his talent and attacking nature. I don''t think he should be chasing back either, his forte is to attack and that''s fair enough.But do it differently, mix it up, put the team on the back foot. My experience of Huckerby is this:

When he has the measure of his marker (7 or 8 times out of 10) he is unstoppable, unplayable and Norwich benefit from it.

BUT when his marker has the better of him, or he is having no luck going past people, he is a hindrance to Norwich and can be very, very frustrating. He doesn''t contribute to the team on these occassions, he can improve for the benefit of the team, but it doesn''t mean chasing around trying to make tackles.