Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Promotion? then get Delia out!.

Lets face it, this arrogant woman is ruining our club.

It was her that held on for far too long in her naive support of her mate Nigel Worthington. It was her that brought an untried manager in to replace him, a manager who''s main talent seems to be rubbishing his own players in the media. And who can forget the national ridicule she brought us through her televised pitchside rant, and her constant ''little old Norwich'' jibes.

This lady also sacked Mike Walker so that she could bring in Hamilton and Rioch!, hell, she didn''t even want to accept Hamilton''s resignation after his appalling time in charge!. I''m tired of the Saint myth also, it was Mr Watling who saved this club, not her!. Okay, if you can afford it, her cafe is doing well................. but we still can''t beat the scum, can we?.

I have a dream that some big investor will force her out one day (if she cared about our club she would never have taken a controlling share of the boardroom in the first place!)  You pro Delia lot just wait when the money to fix up her mess isn''t forthcoming in January, then lets hear the ''Saint Delia'' chants then.

Again its my opinion, but Delia''s first real concern has always been Delia. She hasn''t given the club much, most of its been in repayable loans!. Don''t get fooled by her Z list celebrity status either, she has messed up at board level, and should walk away now. We don''t need her, there''s always someone else ready to jump in and take over. Someone who might actually know what they''re doing!.

If you think we''re going up, forget it, as long as we''re in mid table and her resturants doing well, she''s content................are you?.

Simple really, don''t know why I didn''t think of it, getting promoted thats the easy bit, especially with our squad chock full of quality players fighting with all their might to impress the new manager.

Reality doesn''t exist in the land of the wizards obviously.

Vintage Wiz, with all that that implies.

I do agree however about the ''Delia-isation'' of our club.  Nothing matters more than her own popularity.  Is the freeze out Hucks campaign wholly down to money and football, or can she not stand the thought of someone being loved more than her?   

"Delia''s Barmy Army" - how very, very true.  Let''s not hear it any more . . . please!

(Now where did I put that flak jacket . . .?)

The trouble with all this bile is that anyone with an ear to the ground knows that it is WYNN JONES who is calling the shots. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

It was her that held on for far too long in her naive support of her mate Nigel Worthington. It was her that brought an untried manager in to replace him, a manager who''s main talent seems to be rubbishing his own players in the media. And who can forget the national ridicule she brought us through her televised pitchside rant, and her constant ''little old Norwich'' jibes.

This lady also sacked Mike Walker so that she could bring in Hamilton and Rioch!, hell, she didn''t even want to accept Hamilton''s resignation after his appalling time in charge!. I''m tired of the Saint myth also, it was Mr Watling who saved this club, not her!. Okay, if you can afford it, her cafe is doing well................. but we still can''t beat the scum, can we?.

I have a dream that some big investor will force her out one day (if she cared about our club she would never have taken a controlling share of the boardroom in the first place!)  You pro Delia lot just wait when the money to fix up her mess isn''t forthcoming in January, then lets hear the ''Saint Delia'' chants then.

Again its my opinion, but Delia''s first real concern has always been Delia. She hasn''t given the club much, most of its been in repayable loans!. Don''t get fooled by her Z list celebrity status either, she has messed up at board level, and should walk away now. We don''t need her, there''s always someone else ready to jump in and take over. Someone who might actually know what they''re doing!.

If you think we''re going up, forget it, as long as we''re in mid table and her resturants doing well, she''s content................are you?.

[/quote]

Fantastic post! Post of the week, nope, the year!

Couldn''t agree more with everything said.

It''s time to shake off this bloody little old nice Norwich attitude. The only way we can do that is to get rid of Delia and freshen the club up a bit.

[/quote]

If it can work for Hearts, then it can work for us.

Oh.

Ok, well it worked for Leeds.

Oh.

Well anyway, good post Wiz. She is seriously flawed, but in this case "better the devil you know" for me please.

Wizard...along with Mystic...you make the most sense on here and your honest passion is what drives you. It is often thrown back in your face...but you keep putting forward realistic points. You are obviously very different in approach.....but both have your eyes wide open to the facts.

You''ll get hammered again for this no doubt....but the sooner some supporters start to look past blind loyalty to really examine the current set-up at Carrow Road.....the sooner we can move onto pastures new.

We will go nowhere fast under Delia Smith....that''s a fact.....and Peter Grant can only do so much. Time for a change....and time to get back to basics with a proper football minded Board of Directors.

By the way....has anyone else noticed how certain club comments always seem to use the name of Dave Stringer to back up their policies? They know we supporters respect this man greatly.....and his good name is being hijacked to make their own points hold water. More manipulation and cynicism being displayed to cover up their own inadequacies me thinks!

"There''s always someone ready to jump in and take over"????

Have a word with yourself Wiz. Are you really suggesting that if they say "stuff this, we''re off" and put the For Sale boards up outside that we would have a cluster of multi millionaires queueing down Carrow Road?

And even if there were, look at some of the owners that some managers have to deal with (Peace at WBA, Jordan at Palace, Deadly at Villa until recently, the bloke up at Hearts). What makes them any less self centred? A sentence involving the words "Out of the frying pan" springs to mind.

OTBC

She''s GIVEN us over 7 million. More than you. Now shut up, please, and stop embarrasing yourself.

OB1........Not really true. As Wiz has pointed out, most of it has been in recoverable loans.

[quote user="JC"]

The trouble with all this bile is that anyone with an ear to the ground knows that it is WYNN JONES who is calling the shots. 

[/quote][/quote]

So JC, you have your ear to the ground do you? 

I don''t know who you are, but imo you''ve seen which way the wind is blowing on here and you''re trying to put us off the scent.  For whatever reason.

If you know so much, do us a favour and tell us whether Hucks is going to get a new contract . . .

[quote user="ob1"]

She''s GIVEN us over 7 million. More than you. Now shut up, please, and stop embarrasing yourself.

[/quote]

She has NOT given us anything ob1, she has LOANED us, and we must PAY HER BACK, there is a huge difference. And thats part of the myth that I''m afraid you''ve swallowed!.

[quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

Ahem.  If you added up what our fans have paid out in the last ten years in terms of tickets, merchandise, refreshments, lotteries, shares, etc. etc. it would come to a lot more than seven million quid.

I''m embarrassed for you mate.

This is fantasy-land talk. While both Delia and Michael have thoroughly deserved some negative criticism, I don''t see a Russian oligarch on the horizon seeking to spend his billions on getting Norwich City into the Premiership.So in reality, what would happen if Delia and Michael decided to sell up?

Who would buy us?

Who would take on the debts?

Who would see a team that has never been fashionable as an investment?

This is a dream. I have no love for Delia and her hubby. I offer them no thanks. They have done everything they have done for the club because they wanted to. But they are as good as we will get. What I will say is that we might see a different approach if she started to receive a different response from a large section of the crowd. Mr Chase was a thick skin old bugger and 15000 fans singing for him to go was water off a ducks back. He left when he was ready. Delia on the other hand I would imagine has a much more fragile ego. As celebrities tend to do. You only have to watch that Jungle show that’s on at the moment to see that. 25000 fans screaming for Delia to sod off might change her approach.

We could try it I guess. But we''d do well to get everyone to turn on her.

Wiz,

I have to say I agree with your sentiment if not the way you say it. I too hold the board soley responsible for the mess we now find ourselves in; footballing wise and financially - and this January transfer window will either confirm our views or make us rethink our opinions. Unfortunately I sadly feel it will be the former.

Delia lives off the fact that she felt she "saved" the club from the dark days of Robert Chase, this she may have done, but to hold something that happened nearly 15 years ago as the only reason she is the right person to continue in control of our club is nothing short of scandalous. It saddened me to here she used this as an answer to someone questioning the financial state of the club at a recent NCISA meeting. The person questioned her on, investment in players, the ambition of the club, the finances etc and rather than answering the points specifically, she basically said in as many words "I saved this club", and that was it.

Times have changed Delia and so has football (some parts of it not for the better in my view) and if Norwich are going to be successful as a club and take our place in the Premiership again we will need serious investment, and ditching the "little" Norwich mentality - this will only happen with changes on the Board - a Board which is controlled by a majority shareholder who has neither the financial means or personal desire to do something about either.....

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

Who would buy us?

Who would take on the debts?

Who would see a team that has never been fashionable as an investment?

This is a dream. I have no love for Delia and her hubby. I offer them no thanks. They have done everything they have done for the club because they wanted to. But they are as good as we will get. What I will say is that we might see a different approach if she started to receive a different response from a large section of the crowd. Mr Chase was a thick skin old bugger and 15000 fans singing for him to go was water off a ducks back. He left when he was ready. Delia on the other hand I would imagine has a much more fragile ego. As celebrities tend to do. You only have to watch that Jungle show that’s on at the moment to see that. 25000 fans screaming for Delia to sod off might change her approach.

We could try it I guess. But we''d do well to get everyone to turn on her.

[/quote]

The whole lot of them need to go, so a few chants of "Sack the Board" would do for starters . . . make them realise they''ve been found out.

Delia smith has actually put very little money into the club...

If u want a decent and generous Benefactor than the Late great Geoffrey Watling... he loved this club more than anyone.. and the free cash gift he left to the club in his will is proof of that. May he rest in peace

jas :)

Well done Wiz...you''ve got some great replies to this.......

Still however the little chant of ''Delia saved this club'' continues to emerge from the shadows. I''m certain Delia Smith is a very pleasant and personable woman....but we are talking about our football team here...and I''m afraid giving in to sentiment won''t get us back where we need to go.

Again the ''Russian Mafia'' comes up as soon as we talk about getting shot of this board.....Is it me or is this pure paranoia when it comes to wanting ''change'' at CR?  We may not be a Chelsea or Liverpool....and thank God for that.....but  Norwich City would be a great acquisition for an ambitious buyer looking to take the club on to better things....and but for another eight or so decent signings we could be there or therabouts doing a Reading or Wigan. Delia Smith and the cronies that surround here are not the way forward.....only dramatic change will do that and we have to be prepared to do it.

Delia out I say.....but it would be nice of her to leave soon for all of the right reasons rather than doing a Worthington and hanging on until she becomes a hate figure. She doesn''t deserve that.....but it may end up that way unless she sees the writing on the wall.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Delia smith has actually put very little money into the club...

If u want a decent and generous Benefactor than the Late great Geoffrey Watling... he loved this club more than anyone.. and the free cash gift he left to the club in his will is proof of that. May he rest in peace

jas :)

[/quote]

Well said jas.  He must be spinning in his grave . . .

Come on fans, take back our club, it belongs to us . . . do it for Geoffrey! 

[quote user="cluckaduck"]

Well done Wiz...you''ve got some great replies to this.......

Still however the little chant of ''Delia saved this club'' continues to emerge from the shadows. I''m certain Delia Smith is a very pleasant and personable woman....but we are talking about our football team here...and I''m afraid giving in to sentiment won''t get us back where we need to go.

Again the ''Russian Mafia'' comes up as soon as we talk about getting shot of this board.....Is it me or is this pure paranoia when it comes to wanting ''change'' at CR?  We may not be a Chelsea or Liverpool....and thank God for that.....but  Norwich City would be a great acquisition for an ambitious buyer looking to take the club on to better things....and but for another eight or so decent signings we could be there or therabouts doing a Reading or Wigan. Delia Smith and the cronies that surround here are not the way forward.....only dramatic change will do that and we have to be prepared to do it.

Delia out I say.....but it would be nice of her to leave soon for all of the right reasons rather than doing a Worthington and hanging on until she becomes a hate figure. She doesn''t deserve that.....but it may end up that way unless she sees the writing on the wall.

[/quote]

This reply from Cluck should be printed in next weeks Pink Un, it sums up exactly what I was trying to say.............and failed!.

Jesus, paranoia or what!  I hope so much that you are jesting....

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote][/quote]

I don''t know who you are, but imo you''ve seen which way the wind is blowing on here and you''re trying to put us off the scent.  For whatever reason.

If you know so much, do us a favour and tell us whether Hucks is going to get a new contract . . .

[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]

Jesus, paranoia or what!  I hope so much that you are jesting....

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

It''s "or what" actually JC.  Now please try and answer the question . . .

Once Delia has been driven out, I wonder who the next target will be? Some folks just want to have someone to hate- its a question of who the barrels will be turned on at any one time.

I am no great lover of Delia per se, but just because she hasn''t written off her own money in a  high risk venture doesn''t make her a bad chairman. In fact I would guess that most so called "benefactors" loan the money at low or no interest rather than just donate it.

Nor does her inexperience in playing the football mogul really worry me so long as its a public thing underscored by real ambition. Of course in business circles it is a well known tactic to get the party you negotiate against to underestimate you- maybe she is cultivating this image deliberately, generating a sleeping tiger. The outburst after the sherry was embarrassing but I do feel borne out of genuine passion- would you rather have a Sven type figure who just sat back and looked impassive?

I am not sure how any of us would have reacted being thrust again into the spotlight after promotion- a very different world from cookery shows and book signings. Some of the vitriol on this site suggest that emotions are not exactly held in sway at times of difficulty. Why should she be any different?

So while relegation is not what we wanted, and last season was a disaster, Delia showed loyalty to a manager which in some ways is to be commended (although I think it did go way too far) and something which the entire UK footballing press castigated Charlton for recently when they gave in to the knee jerk reaction. You may also be disappointed that we have PG and not a "name" manager. How many "name" managers actually applied or were spoken to? Initial signs of the PG regime are promising so its a bit rich to start attacking that as a bad decision when the guy has had two poor performances but got a depleted and under-confident squad to beat some of the leading teams in this division including away from home.

The stadium is also looking in fine fettle with 25,000 of us now able to watch regularly instead of the paltry 20,000 before the new stands were built.

Funds were made available from the club coffers for ashton and then earnshaw, Worthington had record amounts of money to spend and while much of it was recouped Delia cannot be blamed for Worthington not buying the right players.

I don''t know about the academy- it is odd to me why that isn''t producing any more. Maybe is the quality of the staff brought in by Worthington. Maybe something else. Doncaster has to look at that carefully as we cannot be reliant on purchases and loans to the exent we have been.

So, before you set in train something which will undoubtedly make the WO thing look like a vicar''s tea party, be very careful what you wish for and look at both sides of the story. You might find it a little more even than you think, if you want to be objective that is.

BTW, "you" here is not referring to anyone in particular as I have no idea under whose post this will appear, but it refers to this movement that seems to have sprung up.

From http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats2/eng_norwich.htm the board seem to have turned the club into a profit making company:

Year          Turnover    Pre-tax profit

2004/05    37.426        9.166
2003/04    13.928        -3.265
2002/03    12.965        -4.681
2001/02    15.271        0.44
2000/01    9.391        0.976
1999/00    7.696        -0.754

Hard to tell what percentage is from TV money or player sales, but surely the catering side has added to this. From http://www.fasttrack.co.uk/Fasttrack2002/press/PT06_East.pdf

"Co-owner Delia Smith generates extra profits by catering for weddings and banquets at the club''s premises" and it is now the fastest profit-growth company in the East of England. Surely this is what the board of directors should be taking care of, and leaving the football to the manager and players?

Also after the share issue in 2002, NCFC is now a public company so anyone can buy shares on the stock exchange, and attempt a takeover. If there are really lots of people who believe they could make a better go of it then all they need to do is offer a good price to the majority shareholders. If these people don''t exist then what is the point of chasing (no pun intended) them out if noone will buy the shares?

[quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

In point of fact, she loaned us the money then converted enough of it into shares to give her a majority shareholding.  Absolute power in other words. 

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

From http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats2/eng_norwich.htm the board seem to have turned the club into a profit making company:

Year          Turnover    Pre-tax profit

2004/05    37.426        9.166
2003/04    13.928        -3.265
2002/03    12.965        -4.681
2001/02    15.271        0.44
2000/01    9.391        0.976
1999/00    7.696        -0.754

Hard to tell what percentage is from TV money or player sales, but surely the catering side has added to this. From http://www.fasttrack.co.uk/Fasttrack2002/press/PT06_East.pdf

"Co-owner Delia Smith generates extra profits by catering for weddings and banquets at the club''s premises" and it is now the fastest profit-growth company in the East of England. Surely this is what the board of directors should be taking care of, and leaving the football to the manager and players?

Also after the share issue in 2002, NCFC is now a public company so anyone can buy shares on the stock exchange, and attempt a takeover. If there are really lots of people who believe they could make a better go of it then all they need to do is offer a good price to the majority shareholders. If these people don''t exist then what is the point of chasing (no pun intended) them out if noone will buy the shares?

[/quote]

One Flew . . . how did we make a profit?  By spending a year in the Premiership, that''s how.  Investing in the squad makes financial as well as footballing sense.

There''s a saying which goes "Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes".  If it becomes public knowledge that things are not hunky dory and the fans are protesting, that''s when prospective buyers may start to take an interest . . .