Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Robert Greens Big Head

Anyone see the full page article in the Telegraph today?  Apparently he is a figure of fun at WHU and ''laughed at'' particularly cos of the size of his head (say no more).

He admits Norwich is a great place but then goes on to say; "Norwich is very different, stuck out in the North Sea (?)...a city the size of a town, with a village mentality"

Make of that what you will, I am sure the posters on here will have somethingt to say...my opinion (for what its worth) is HAVE SOME RESPECT...we helped get you where you are now!

I think he is blowing bubbles out of the proverbial...and he will end up like Marshall, eventually deemed not good enough for the premiership and destined for championship football if he''s lucky...   

Poor old Green ....  STILL thinks he`s  England  material  ?    yet playing in the prem  is such a struggle   , 3rd choice keeper  for WHU  ,   wake up Greeno  !!   you`ve been sussed  .......[:|]

He''s not that great, certainly not great enougb to be looking down on not only a team, but a whole club in total. Ah well - we didn''t need him, that much..

Erm.... 3rd choice keeper? Hasn''t he played that last 6 games in a row? Maybe you should write about things that you know about. Perhaps I could recommend avoiding football.....

For some one as intelligent as Green some of his comments were a little odd. For your information, Robert, Carrow Road and Upton Park are similar distances from the sea and London is a port.

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]

Anyone see the full page article in the Telegraph today?  Apparently he is a figure of fun at WHU and ''laughed at'' particularly cos of the size of his head (say no more).

He admits Norwich is a great place but then goes on to say; "Norwich is very different, stuck out in the North Sea (?)...a city the size of a town, with a village mentality"

Make of that what you will, I am sure the posters on here will have somethingt to say...my opinion (for what its worth) is HAVE SOME RESPECT...we helped get you where you are now!

I think he is blowing bubbles out of the proverbial...and he will end up like Marshall, eventually deemed not good enough for the premiership and destined for championship football if he''s lucky...   

[/quote]I generally avoid the Telegraph website, in much the same way as I avoid the BNP website. But I took a quick look, and found the article you refer to: http://preview.tinyurl.com/y3vpvdGreen does refer to Norwich as a "fantastic place". But as you say, he then goes on to qualify it as a backhanded compliment. Oh well, he''s not the first to make the occasional disparaging remark having left us, and probably won''t be the last. See you and West Ham in the Championship next year Greeno!

[quote user="All in yellow"]Erm.... 3rd choice keeper? Hasn''t he played that last 6 games in a row? Maybe you should write about things that you know about. Perhaps I could recommend avoiding football.....[/quote]

Green has played the last 6 games because West Ham have major Goalkeeping injury worries. Why do you think they''ve just completed an emergency loan of Palace''s goalkeeper Gobar Kiraly for?

No when Carroll gets fit again, green will be back warming the bench.

I admit I used to like Greeno but the way he''s handled the end of his norwich career was unprofessinal and someone of his post-norwich comments are stupid. Greeno isn''t an outstanding keeper, he made some awful mistakes when he was here and to be honest I think Gallacher is doing a better job!

Good luck to him, he seems like a nicer bloke than the average pro footballer and he''s certainly brighter. Why anyone wishes him ill will is bizarre, he gave us great service and didn''t bugger off on a Bosman

I was told by my son some years ago that Robert Fleck having been transfered from Norwich to Chelsea ran over to the Norwich fans after the game at Chelsea and kissed his Chelsea shirt. Well he seems to have been happy enough to come back to Norfolk.

I always thought that Robert Green was very "wooden" between the posts especially if there was a penalty being taken against him. Does anyone know how many penalties Green saved when playing for Norwich?

[quote user="All in yellow"]Erm.... 3rd choice keeper? Hasn''t he played that last 6 games in a row? Maybe you should write about things that you know about. Perhaps I could recommend avoiding football.....[/quote]

What I MEANT to put  was  Greeno was( and I mean was )  the 3rd choice England keeper !   WTF !! 

I bow to your superior knowledge  of football ..... its really hard for me to understand the complexities  of this game  ... lets see now  , we have one ball  , two nets , two  keepers  of these nets ,  and ten players  trying to boot the ball  into one of the nets , while another ten players try to boot it into the other net  ? am I right so far ?   what ?   you need a Phd   before your allowed to comment  on this game ?  gimme strength !

I`ve never rated Green !   this was the  " keeper "  with a record  number of let ins  while we were in the prem ....   I`ll go so far as to say that if Gallacher  had  been playing  then , we might still be in the prem !      to my way of thinking  , there is something amiss  about Green ,  all too often he  was guilty of  being "late" to see a shot  ,  know what I mean ? ..........  and looking at  some of his few performances  for WHU   he hasn`t changed much !  the full stretch dives  might look impressive  , but ... somehow   ,    the ball just  avoids his fingers .. !    

He hasn`t been at his new club that long   , and ,  already , the other players  are having a go at him !     kind of bodes ill  for  a keeper   who needs the support of his team mates , right ? 

Yes  Green  has played  in the last 6 matches  ,   played 6  , lost 4   , yay ! [li] 

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]"Norwich is very different, stuck out in the North Sea (?)...a city the size of a town, with a village mentality" [/quote]

Speaking as someone who was born, breed and resided in Norfolk until the age of 31, but who has since experienced living various other parts of the UK and who returns frequently to still what is regarded as home, I would say Greeno is spot on with his analysis.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]"Norwich is very different, stuck out in the North Sea (?)...a city the size of a town, with a village mentality" [/quote]

Speaking as someone who was born, breed and resided in Norfolk until the age of 31, but who has since experienced living various other parts of the UK and who returns frequently to still what is regarded as home, I would say Greeno is spot on with his analysis.

[/quote]I only recently left Norwich, and whilst I do miss it, Greeno is pretty much spot on here!

Clearly Greeno should have chosen his words are bit more carefully, but I don''t think he has intentionally insulted Norwich.  My personal opinion is Norwich is a lovely place which is compact and friendly and from that point of view greatly prefer it from many of other cities in the country.  Being honest London is a very different kind of place to Norwich and is by far our biggest city.  Overall I love Norwich and clearly not alone by the clear fact of the likes of Earnshaw and Huckerby are here and clearly love it.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

[/quote] I have to say that living outside Norwich but still regarding it as home also, I do agree. However why Greeno had to say that I don''t know. Yes it may be true but Norwich has given him a great career and looked after him during a career threatening injury when he was young. If it wasn''t for the club he wouldn''t be where he is today and perhaps he should bare that in mind next time he contemplates having a dig at the club, the fans or the place!

Green is correct. Norwich is a city the size of a town. The population of Norwich in 2005 was an estimated 127,500, which is very small for a City and has a sparse catchment area. NCFC does very well to achieve the numbers at Carrow Road.

I haven''t read the article, but it sounds like Rob is actually talking truth for once. Better than the ''I''m very happy at Norwich'' lines we used to endure when we knew it wasn''t how he felt.

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

... to be honest I think Gallacher is doing a better job!

[/quote]

Oh, purrrlease.

You''re joking, right?

How can a guy who never ever managed to save a penalty for us be considered a good keeper anyway. Pathetic. It brought home to me the inadequecies of Robert Green, when I saw in Bryan Gunn''s book his top TEN penalty saves. That''s right, Gunny made more than ten penalty saves in his time at City. That puts Green''s Canary career into some sort of perspective.

Making Plans,

I see you and Green are very confident in defining the mentality of an entire city as one homogenous worldview without allowing for any diversity or idiosyncracy amongst any of its 400,000 inhabitants. Perhaps you could explain what you both mean. In what way is the mentality of a university student analogous to a production worker at Colman''s or a middle aged, middle class Norwich Union worker or how is this comparable to the worldview of a policeman or an airline pilot or a member of a (predominantly) green city council. I could go on but I''m sure you get my point. I would be genuinely interested to know what you mean by subsuming all of these viewpoints (and many more) under the category ''village mentality''?        

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

... to be honest I think Gallacher is doing a better job!

[/quote]

Oh, purrrlease.

You''re joking, right?

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say he''s doing a better job, but certainly better than a disinterested Green, and how can we judge Gallacher properly when he has that complete and utter shower in front of him?

[quote user="sheded"]

I`ll go so far as to say that if Gallacher  had  been playing  then , we might still be in the prem ! 

[/quote]

I''ll go as far as to say that this may well be the funniest thing I''ve ever read on this message board.

The levels of bitterness dirested at ex-players, Green and Ashton in particular, on this board is pathetic. Green has given a possibly misjudged, but fairly accurate statement about the city of Norwich, get over it!

That''s just people living in the city centre excluding places like Costessey, Brundall, Sprowston, etc etc... If we''re going on purely the city, then London''s population is minimal (the city of London is only 1 square mile but the boroughs are huge!).

How can Norwich be considered the size of a town?  How many towns does Greeno know that have a massive university, two shopping malls and its own international airport?!  It''s ridiculous.  Okay, so Norwich is nowhere near the scale of London, but London isn''t as big as Tokyo or New York.  Does that make it small?

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

I wouldn''t say he''s doing a better job, but certainly better than a disinterested Green, and how can we judge Gallacher properly when he has that complete and utter shower in front of him?

[/quote]

Fair point if you''re referring to the latter period of Green''s career. But the fact is, as a keeper he is/was/should be one of the top-rated English keepers in the country. We know he has his faults, but remember how many times Malky and Flem got skinned only for Greeno to save the day? It''s easy to remember what happened yesterday, but you have to contrast it with accurate history too.

I can remember countless times standing in various grounds/pubs around the country and saying to those around me "Thank God we''ve got Robert Green".

MacDougal

Despite the fact that I''m not the only one voicing the same opinion, I see you''ve singled me out.

I don''t pretend to understand half the content of your comments, because obviously your village mentality is way above mine but I think you''ve reinforced what I said very nicely. Thank you.

Sadly Green never matched the expectations of the club and he doesn''t begin to match the true great goalkeepers we have had at Carrow Road....such as Kennon, Keelan, Woods and Gunn....plus I suspect he will fade away in the future.

Norwich is a wonderful city....and Norfolk is a wonderful county. It doesn''t matter what someone else may say about it......facts remain facts. It is his loss not ours.

Sorry for singling you out (you are right[:)]) but, put very simply, do you think you can accurately describe an array of hugely differing types of people as having the same mentality, because I don''t.

And I admit I am struggling to understand how pointing this out reinforces what you''ve said in anyway? 

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]How can a guy who never ever managed to save a penalty for us be considered a good keeper anyway. Pathetic. It brought home to me the inadequecies of Robert Green, when I saw in Bryan Gunn''s book his top TEN penalty saves. That''s right, Gunny made more than ten penalty saves in his time at City. That puts Green''s Canary career into some sort of perspective.[/quote]

maybe a little harsh on greeno Re Penalties.. Peter Shilton never saved a penalty if i remember rightly

jas :)

Come on MP, I''m still waiting for you to explain how me pointing out that you have made a huge generalisation that you can''t back up proves that Norwich has a village mentality.

I''m very intrigued!