Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

How Do You

I may be dumb at these sort of things but how do you get parts of other peoples posts to appear in yours in that grey box

Kathy,

Maybe he means just parts of people''s post and not their whole post ( which is what you get if you click on the quote button).

I must admit I dont know how to do that either.

CA

[quote user="NavMan"]I may be dumb at these sort of things but how do you get parts of other peoples posts to appear in yours in that grey box[/quote]

Not sure...

Navman, what browser are you using? Not all of them support the ''Quote'' button, but IE does...

CityAngel, you can quote only parts of someone''s post as well as the whole message. Just click the ''Quote'' button and when it takes you to the textbox you can delete lines from the quote as you would delete lines from your own post, if that makes sense....

[quote user="NavMan"]I may be dumb at these sort of things but how do you get parts of other peoples posts to appear in yours in that grey box[/quote]

Or alternatively, close your right eye and insert your left index finger into your left nostril. Then, ''hum'' the ''Telly Tubbies'' theme tune out really loud......whilst sticking your tongue out and shaking your head with aggression from side to side and slamming your mouse down on your desk top with frustration.........I guarantee, that someone with an ounce of IT literacy and knowledge, will immediately come to your aid - and assist you on how to get other peoples posts to appear in that grey box of yours......

It certainly works for me![8-)]

Now Navman, please feel free to use my info as a ''test post''......[8-|]

Hope that helps......Mello ;~)

[quote user="NavMan"]I may be dumb at these sort of things but how do you get parts of other peoples posts to appear in yours in that grey box[/quote]To simply quote something use the quote tags, To begin a quote type [ quote ] and to end a quote [ /quote ] but obviously you remove the spaces I put inAlso if you wish to name the person you are quoting simply do this in the opening quote tag [ quote user="NavMan" ] replacing the name in the quotes with whoever is it

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"] You can quote only parts of someone''s post as well as the whole message. Just click the ''Quote'' button and when it takes you to the textbox you can delete lines from the quote as you would delete lines from your own post, if that makes sense....

[/quote]

Thanks, Pete. I''ve just put that into practice here I think. Fingers crossed!

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="NavMan"]I may be dumb at these sort of things but how do you get parts of other peoples posts to appear in yours in that grey box[/quote]

To simply quote something use the quote tags, To begin a quote type [ quote ] and to end a quote [ /quote ] but obviously you remove the spaces I put in

Also if you wish to name the person you are quoting simply do this in the opening quote tag [ quote user="NavMan" ] replacing the name in the quotes with whoever is it
[/quote]

Pardon? [*-)]

You click on your name in the top-right corner of the screen which takes you to your settings. About halfway down the page sits the panel for adding an avatar.

[quote user="mystic megson"]While we''re on the subject, how do you put up an avatar?[/quote]

Who else can''t wait to see what Mystic chooses [:D]

....and when you browse for an image to be your avatar mm, if the first one that comes up is the Vicar then you have strayed too far wide of the mark on your religious postings.  

[quote user="mystic megson"]While we''re on the subject, how do you put up an avatar?[/quote]

Or alternatively, put a pair of ''comedy themed'' boxer shorts/knickers (Homer Simpson is the popular variant)  on your head. Then, and this is rather important.....Stand bolt upright on your real imitation PVC computer chair - and give a loud rendition of the ''Birdie Song'' "Nanna nana nana nah - nanna nana nan nah - nanna nana nana nah! Tweet tweet tweet tweet!..........Whilst swingin'' your mouse above your ''swede'' like an Argentine gaucho''s bolero - and trying to ''pop'' and take out the office fluoro toobs.......

Without prompt, the head of IT will most certainly see that you are in distress......and immediately come to your assistance and explain to you, after he/she''s called security - and pinning you to the floor and restraining you...on how to put a neat little avatar onto your thingy......[Y]

Works for me![:|]

Hope that helps MM![:D] 

Currently unemployed - and not all there, IT consultant Mello ;~)

Mello . . . I am the head of IT in the Mystic household.  Pathetic isn''t it.

Despite being a middle-aged, Catholic, heterosexual ''laydee'', I can''t help but mourn the passing of ''raunchy avatars''.  Shyster had a particularly fine example of an inadequately clothed young lady trying to keep her upper body warm with vigorous massage . . . I think he must be the Shyster from Siberia . . .

NavMan asks how you get those quotes to appear and WebTeam Pete explains how to do it .......

Well pardon this Luddite but what do you mean ? As someone who has barely mastered the art of chiselling on a stone slab I''m afraid the instructions given might just as well have been written in Martian.

No offence intended but to the thickie at this end of the keyboard I''m still none the wiser......

But perhaps salvation is at hand. Luckily I have a son who has a computer science degree and fiddles around with websites for a living so maybe next time he visits his Ma and Pa the mists will clear ...........

Yours in frustration

UEA Canary '' explained '' the mechanics of quoting and Kathy said, " Pardon ? ".

UEA, if that explanation wins " The Plain English Guide to Post Quoting " then my name''s Bill Gates !!

Yes, I think both Kathy and I would willingly acknowledge your superior computer '' know-how '' but can at least comfort ourselves in the knowledge that a couple of '' old-timers '' -- no offence intended, Kathy -- did floor most of the younger posters in the Kevin ( James ) Bond / 007 thread a while back ......

Hopefully this will explain all...

How to Quote:

1. On the message you wish to quote from click the ''Quote'' button next to the thread (see the big red arrow in the following screenshot):

2. This will take you to the screen you normally see when posting or replying to a message, but will also include the previous message in your reply as a quote, as seen below:

3. You can include the whole thread as a quote in your message but you can also select parts of the message to quote and delete the rest. To do this, select the text you wish to delete with your cursor, as seen here:

4. After selecting the text you wish to delete, hit the delete button and the text will disappear, leaving you with the part of the message you wish to quote, as seen below:

5. You then write your message as you would do normally below the quote then hit the ''Post'' button (illustrated below with a big red arrow pointing to it) when you''ve finished your message:

IT consultant Mello suggests the road to a good avatar lies partly in standing bolt upright on a real imitation PVC computer chair whilst wearing a brightly coloured undergarment upon one''s cranium.

As a nit-picking, do-gooding, interfering old health & safety bore I must point out that this could prove hazardous if said chair is of the swivelling variety and said garment is of a large size as it may well obscure the participant''s vision causing thus causing instant dis-orientation  and possibly thereby resulting in a wholly unavoidable accident.......

All compensation claims, in the first instance, to be forwarded c/o defendant Mello.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

nutty, I''ve got a great pic of Gary Megson pointing and bawling on the touchline, but since PG arrived it doesn''t seem quite so original somehow . . . in any case, I need a MUCH more detailed explanation of what I have to do . . . 

I would''ve used that pic of Hucks on the front of the Canary Preview, but I don''t want to upset City Angel.  She''d be on in no time screeching "He''s mine!" and trying to scratch my virtual eyes out.  I don''t think catfights are allowed on here . . .  Anyway, I''m not sure I can be bothered to unstick it from the bedroom ceiling . . .   

My dear old Navman, its just a case of p***ing about with your |C .P . till you get it right , but having said that my son has A''s in computer studies and electronics , so i just go with the flow . its all at 100 miles per hrs , i am still looking for the first button he pressed .

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

nutty, I''ve got a great pic of Gary Megson pointing and bawling on the touchline, but since PG arrived it doesn''t seem quite so original somehow . . . in any case, I need a MUCH more detailed explanation of what I have to do . . . 

I would''ve used that pic of Hucks on the front of the Canary Preview, but I don''t want to upset City Angel.  She''d be on in no time screeching "He''s mine!" and trying to scratch my virtual eyes out.  I don''t think catfights are allowed on here . . .  Anyway, I''m not sure I can be bothered to unstick it from the bedroom ceiling . . .   

[/quote]

Mystic,  I thought you wanted to be scary mary last week [:)]

I''m not sure how it works with pictures and avatars, I guess you may have to resize them. However, I assure you that if I can get an avatar on here then you can!

What is it with you girls and Darren Huckerby????????????????

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He is mine but being a nice person I''m willing to share! Thats a great picture of him on the front of the canary preview isn it?

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He is mine but being a nice person I''m willing to share! Thats a great picture of him on the front of the canary preview isn it?

[/quote]

Thanks Angel . . . how did you find out that he''s into that sort of thing? 

nutty asked what it is about Hucks . . . it''s that elusive thing called sex appeal, he has lots of it in a Thierry Henry/Nicolas Cage sort of way, much more than George Clooney even tho'' he''s supposedly better looking.  What do you think Angel?