Sign in to follow this  
Hucka Hucka Huckerby

Greatest ever foreign XI

Talk Sport were urging listeners to phone in & tell them who they thought the best ever foreigners are to have played in the Premiership. Who would your best ever team be? Mine would be;

SCHMEICAL

EBOUE     STAM      GALLAS    HEINZE

KANCHELSKIS  MAKELELE  VIERA  ROBBEN

CANTONA    HENRY

SUBS: CECH, ZOLA, RONALDO, FABREGAS

I would drop Makelele for the other wonder French kid - Petit. Did the same job but could actually score a goal on a more regular occaision.

I would also put Di Matteo down on the right wing ahead of Kanchelskis although he was a superb player.

I mean some of these players are good but I am trying to rack up possible alternatives. Ah - get rid of Ronaldo - good skills no end finnish and replace him with Asprilla now he was a great player.

For me Robben and Ronaldo are similar - if someone gets tough with them they disapear and Ronaldos final ball and vision is not as good as some players who have half the technical skill.

For me Eboue has only just arrived on the scene - although I am struggling to think of a foreign right back.

Good post though - has got me thinking. What about a best Canary Foreign 11?

Did we ever have a foreign goalkeeper?

GK - ?

LB - De Blasiis Nedergaard

CB -

CB -

RB - Fuglestadt

LM -

CM - Safri

CM - Etuhu

RM - Nedergaard

ST - Svensson

ST - Ekoku

SUBS: Ancelin,

Thats who I can think of off the top of my head! Any ideas?

[quote user="chicken"]

Did we ever have a foreign goalkeeper?

[/quote]

Sandy Kennon?

You also need to add Van_Wyk and replace the terrible Fugelstad with the simply brilliant Helveg.

A completely foreign Norwich XI;

Kennon

Helveg  Segura  Derveld  Nedegaard

Jonson  Molby  Motrtensen  De Waard

Ekokou  Svensson

I know Molby was only on loan & weighed 35 stone, but still knocks spots off any other contenders for that position imho.

The best thing about Erik ''The Viking'' Fuglestad was the Eric The Viking Bugle-stad we named after him in the Barclay. It used to ring out for all to hear. Good times...

And he played a blinding pass with the outside of his left foot once to Eadie at Portman Road, you know, when Iwan missed from 2cm... Same game he supplied the cross for Bellamy''s winner - after some horrific games at their place in the past, it was joy unconfined. Equally good times...

Probably not a Left Back secured in Norwich City history, but his place in my heart is safe...  [:$]

It also seems to me that a completely foreign Norwich City XI is a pretty rubbish XI too. That is more of a dig at our scouting system, rather that the technical wonders of those players brought up in a land ''far'' away...

BH, I know you asked for the "Greatest Ever To Play In The Premiership" but, as your title did not identify the Premiership bit, I found myself taking a little licesnse and trying to think of the ALL-TIME GREATEST foreign players who I believe would have made any all-star team. While I thought of twenty or so players initially I pruned the list back to the following six, asking others for input as to whether you agree with these choices and who else you would add to get it to a team of eleven:

Yashin ( G ) - Russia ( the Black Panther )

Zidane  ( D ) - France

Garrincha ( RW )- Brazil

Cruyff ( S )- Holland

Pele ( S )  - Brazil

Gento ( LW )- Spain

It was difficult to omit Puskas and Di Stefano but, as Pele is automatic, I had to think who the best playmaking striker would be to partner Pele. For me it had to be Cruyff. While there were one or two I could have chosen in place of Garrincha, I could not bring myself to choose another. He was born a cripple, had an operation that still left him with a distorted left leg, and yet, became an amazing footballer only to die at the young age of 49.

I don''t see what peoples problem with Fuglestadt is - he was class. He was easily as good as Kenton and was part of the meanest defence in the league for a good couple of seasons.

As for playing Nedergaard at left back - what? Fuglestadt was naturaly a left back but played down the right for us too - to omit Nedergaard from one of the two positions that he played and was most famous for is a bit worrying. As for putting De Ward and Develd in there - smacks of desperation?!!!

We must have had better players than those in - even on loan.

Nielsen is a good shout and I guess there are those Libra fans, actually he wasnt all that bad.

If I remember rightly Mortensen was a striker not a central midfielder

I guess mine would be

Keelan (born in India?) Tenuous I know...

Helveg    Hareide    Segura            Van Wijk

Jonson   Francis (Jamaica)    Safri       Fox (Montserrat)

Svensson   Ekoku 

Best prem 11? - well including Div 1 as was I would go

Schmiechel

Riise

Stam

Gallas

Petrescu

Kanchelskis

Ardiles

Gullit

Ginola

Henry

Bergkamp

Subs   canotona,  zola, Viera,  Ravenelli, Juninho, Bryan Roy

For entertainment though Asprillia and Mirandinha we class down here 

[quote user="chicken"]

I don''t see what peoples problem with Fuglestadt is - he was class. He was easily as good as Kenton and was part of the meanest defence in the league for a good couple of seasons.

As for playing Nedergaard at left back - what? Fuglestadt was naturaly a left back but played down the right for us too - to omit Nedergaard from one of the two positions that he played and was most famous for is a bit worrying. As for putting De Ward and Develd in there - smacks of desperation?!!!

We must have had better players than those in - even on loan.

Nielsen is a good shout and I guess there are those Libra fans, actually he wasnt all that bad.

[/quote]

Yep, I was a Steen and Libbra fan too [:D] even though Marc''s feet moved to quickly and he looked a little too good in an up-turned collar... Steeno used to have to carry the balls back to the coaches after away games (well, he did once anyway...).

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

BH, I know you asked for the "Greatest Ever To Play In The Premiership" but, as your title did not identify the Premiership bit, I found myself taking a little licesnse and trying to think of the ALL-TIME GREATEST foreign players who I believe would have made any all-star team. While I thought of twenty or so players initially I pruned the list back to the following six, asking others for input as to whether you agree with these choices and who else you would add to get it to a team of eleven:

Yashin ( G ) - Russia ( the Black Panther )

Zidane  ( D ) - France

Garrincha ( RW )- Brazil

Cruyff ( S )- Holland

Pele ( S )  - Brazil

Gento ( LW )- Spain

It was difficult to omit Puskas and Di Stefano but, as Pele is automatic, I had to think who the best playmaking striker would be to partner Pele. For me it had to be Cruyff. While there were one or two I could have chosen in place of Garrincha, I could not bring myself to choose another. He was born a cripple, had an operation that still left him with a distorted left leg, and yet, became an amazing footballer only to die at the young age of 49.

[/quote]

I''m a bit confused Yankee, have you got Zidane down as a defender?

IMO Maradona was the greatest of all time, simply for the way he dragged a fairy average Argentina team to become world cup winners in 1986. Whilst Pele was obviously up there, he always seemed to have a much better team around him than Diego.

Kanchelskis is the only player ever to have scored a hat trick in each of the Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow derbies. Not a lot of people know that.

world all time 11 is (in my rather un-humble opinion) with a 2 per country limit

Yashin(USSR)

Nesta(Italy)   Moore(England)   

Passarella(Argentina)

Beckenbaur(Germany)

Garrincha(Brazil)                                                  

Gento(Spain)

Cryuff(Holland)         Pele(Brazil)

Marradona(Argentina)  Van Basten(Holland)

Subs (no country limit)

Chilavert(Uragury)-GK,  Zidane(France),  Rijkaard(Holland),