Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Sorry Dion, you're too valuable to us at the back...

PG says he wants to use him up the pitch, Dublin himself wants to play up front.

But look at the facts:

1. We''ve never managed to find another commanding, organising figure in

central defence since we lost Malky - Dion provides this in spades.

2. We''ve never had a central defender who presents a serious threat

from set pieces since we lost Malky - Dion provides this in spades.

3. If we get Chadwick or similar extra wing player as PG seems keen on,

we''ll be looking at various combinations of Earnie / Hucks / Croft /

WLY / Eagle / A.N.Other up front and on the wings.

The only way i can see Dion playing up front is by brining flem/doc off

the bench to replace him so he can sit up front and stop our punts out

of defence late on from coming straight back.

The fact that NW was prepared to bring Dion in aged 37, and that he is

the only person who can play the roles that Malky did, and continues to

play today aged 34, is most ironic. I wonder if NW would concede now,

with hindsight of course, that selling Malky and not replacing him was

the biggest mistake of his tenure? He sewed the seed of his downfall

when he let him go. If he had replaced him, he might have got away with

it, but the fact is, we''re still looking and until we find that

replacement, Dion has to be the man.

Disagree. When Doherty is fit I''d stick Dublin up front with Earnie in a 4-4-2, at least ''till January.If he get''s knackered we''ll have to bring Thorne or Jarvis on.I know Doherty has been inconsistant at times this season, but this short enforced absence may just fire him up to play better since he knows we have more than capable cover.Dion was an absolute tower of strength at the back last Saturday, but he looks to have the potential to provide Earnie with some quality support too. Deft header of the ball, very precise.Wherever he plays he looks like he can still cut it. It''s good to see a player playing with as much enthusiasm and drive despite his age. Dion looks like he really enjoys his football still and long may it continue!

I see where your coming from a1 and you make a lot of sense but consider these facts too :-

1. In the 11 games we have been able to play Colin-Doherty-Shackell-Drury we have only conceded 11 goals.

2. We''ve never had a centreforward who can defend his own box since we lost Iwan and Dion provides that in spades.

3. If we get the extra wing player our attacking threat will be that much more potent with a big centreforward.

We still so badly need decent cover for leftback above anything!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I see where your coming from a1 and you make a lot of sense but consider these facts too :-

1. In the 11 games we have been able to play Colin-Doherty-Shackell-Drury we have only conceded 11 goals.

2. We''ve never had a centreforward who can defend his own box since we lost Iwan and Dion provides that in spades.

3. If we get the extra wing player our attacking threat will be that much more potent with a big centreforward.

We still so badly need decent cover for leftback above anything!

Thats an interesting point which I did not know, did not realise that and it makes a good point, that with our strongest 11 we can compete but lack the depth, we would like.

On a different point, saves posting a new topic but I think someone we should get in is Rowan Vine, looks a good player, wouldn''t cost a fortunes, is tall but mobile and can run with the ball like he did against us before and has a wicked shot, I feel he would play well in our hopefull system of passing football than the hoof ball Luton play alot.

[/quote]

I agree Dublin should be kept in the heart of the defence in place of Doherty for the following reasons:

He reads the game much better than Doherty.

He doesn''t give away stupid free kicks just outside the box.

He can actually jump for the ball without having to put his arms around his opponent.

He is far more likely to score at the other end from corners and free kicks.

and to think people were moaning when Worthington signed him, you can''t knock his attitude and experience. Well done Dion and well done Norwich, that is a great away win, wish I had gone now!

agreed A1 - if dion can organise and galvanise our defence to stay watertight, then surely a promotion challenge could be viable.  we all could see malky''s shortcomings, but perhaps it was after he left, that we came to realise the contribution he made to the team in terms of his on-pitch presence...  we shouldn''t make the same mistake twice.  while dion''s doing the biz in defence, only an obsessive tinkerman would change it.

[quote user="Herb"]Disagree. When Doherty is fit I''d stick Dublin up front with Earnie in a 4-4-2, at least ''till January.If he get''s knackered we''ll have to bring Thorne or Jarvis on.I know Doherty has been inconsistant at times this season, but this short enforced absence may just fire him up to play better since he knows we have more than capable cover.Dion was an absolute tower of strength at the back last Saturday, but he looks to have the potential to provide Earnie with some quality support too. Deft header of the ball, very precise.Wherever he plays he looks like he can still cut it. It''s good to see a player playing with as much enthusiasm and drive despite his age. Dion looks like he really enjoys his football still and long may it continue![/quote]Now would you still replace Dion with Doherty herb, after the wba win? I don''t disagree that he has looked useful for us up front too, but there are too many upsides to having him in defence.

[quote user="Herb"]Disagree.
When Doherty is fit I''d stick Dublin up front with Earnie in a 4-4-2, at least ''till January.
If he get''s knackered we''ll have to bring Thorne or Jarvis on.
I know Doherty has been inconsistant at times this season, but this short enforced absence may just fire him up to play better since he knows we have more than capable cover.

Dion was an absolute tower of strength at the back last Saturday, but he looks to have the potential to provide Earnie with some quality support too. Deft header of the ball, very precise.
Wherever he plays he looks like he can still cut it. It''s good to see a player playing with as much enthusiasm and drive despite his age. Dion looks like he really enjoys his football still and long may it continue!
[/quote]

Thank god you are''nt the manager then!

Get a loan striker in!

Surely you dont bring that calamity of a defender who has been the root of the problems at the back all along into the team again.

Ship him and Flem off in Jan!

I don''t believe in messing around with a defence that is playing well. Dion is playing blinders at the back so keep him there. Grant made the mistake at Stoke of shuffling a defence that hadn''t conceded since he arrived and it went horribly wrong. Doherty now knows that he has a job on his hands getting his place back.

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]

[quote user="Herb"]Disagree.
When Doherty is fit I''d stick Dublin up front with Earnie in a 4-4-2, at least ''till January.
If he get''s knackered we''ll have to bring Thorne or Jarvis on.
I know Doherty has been inconsistant at times this season, but this short enforced absence may just fire him up to play better since he knows we have more than capable cover.

Dion was an absolute tower of strength at the back last Saturday, but he looks to have the potential to provide Earnie with some quality support too. Deft header of the ball, very precise.
Wherever he plays he looks like he can still cut it. It''s good to see a player playing with as much enthusiasm and drive despite his age. Dion looks like he really enjoys his football still and long may it continue!
[/quote]

Thank god you are''nt the manager then!

Get a loan striker in!

Surely you dont bring that calamity of a defender who has been the root of the problems at the back all along into the team again.

Ship him and Flem off in Jan!

[/quote] I agree 100% as it has been 2 games and 2 clean sheets, and Shackell looks far happier alongside Dublin.  I do worry what Grant will do because he is just as likely to put Doherty in midfield again.  If he desperately wants to play Dublin up front then he should play Spillane alongside Shackell.

This is a tough one now for sure. I agree with the posters who say we shouldn''t change a winning team especially after our second clean sheet with Dublin beside Shackell. I also agree with some of the posts regarding Doherty and the free kicks he gives away. The stats still suggest we are fine when we line up with Colin-Doherty-Shackell-Drury though, and that surprised me too! It will be interesting to see what PG does next week!