Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Oh Mathias, oh Mathias!

Surely the recent rejuvenation of Sven has been partly down to the way that he is being fed. It is a misdemeanour that he is a big striker in the mould of Iwan, he is only 3 cms taller than Huckerby or McKenzie! In the last 2 matches balls have not been whacked at him from defense, he has been fed from Leon or Huckers, or from passes from midfield, and he has shown where his skills really lie. Yes, he is a physical player, but the first goal against Burnley showed his agility, an excellent turn to beat the defender.

If Worthy does decide to go back to the 4-4-2 formation, and he will (we can''t afford to defend like that away at Reading or Sunderland, and I wouldn''t be suprised if he shores up against Wigan at home), let''s hope he sticks Iwan in there, who although is fading, can do the job of a big man. Either that, or play 4-4-2 while keeping the ball on the deck, so that Sven can control the ball and play it though to Hucks.

How about these songs to sing at the next few games:

(to the tune of Amadeus)
Oh Mathias, oh Mathias! Oh Mathias, oh Mathias! Oh Mathias, oh Mathias! Svensson, Mathias!

or:

Pass to Drury on the left hand side,
Pass to Drury on the left hand side!

I think the style of play you describe and that we saw in the second half against Burnley and against Stoke is a big step forward for the team and the way we play. Going back to lumping it up to Iwan would be a backward step in my book, brilliantly though Iwan has coped with that style of play in the last seven years!
Thye showed signs against Stoke and in the second half against Burnley of learning how to adapt defensively to the 4-3-3 and so i think NW should stick with it, especially at home.