Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Music to my ears!

For those of you who think I just bash Grant for the fun of it, be prepared to be amazed. I see today he''s said that he wouldn''t be selling Earnshaw in January, which is music to my ears.

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED10%20Nov%202006%2009%3A14%3A59%3A053

He also makes it pretty clear, that if he IS sold, it''ll  be our ''prudent''  board who sell him. Full marks to Grant for putting any future blame on to the board, I''m slowly warming to the guy!.

Morning Wiz, have you seen today''s piece headlined "Earnie Will Stay - Grant"?

It quotes Grant as saying, in response to the question at yesterday''s press conference about a big cash offer for Earnie in January: "I would definitely turn it down".  It leaves out the other bit of the quote, buried at the bottom of yesterday''s piece: "I''m not saying the board would, but I would".

Why does it matter?  It matters because come January, if we do get a big offer and the board cave in, most fans won''t remember what Grant really said, if indeed they saw it in the first place.  They''ll remember the headline: "Earnie Will Stay - Grant" and blame him for going back on his word.  The board will wriggle off the hook yet again and come up smelling of roses.

I''m getting heartily sick of this.  The guy hasn''t been here a month and we''ve got this sort of manoeuvring going on already.  The amount of time, trouble and effort that the board puts into avoiding responsibility it quite unbelievable. 

Mystic, if they do sell Earnie in January and there are issues that result from this, I believe most fans are wise enough to direct flack at the Board. Certainly the majority, and following on from all of the quotes in the press.

Also, the full quote, including PG''s comment/joke about the board and Earnie, is on the NCFC official site. If they were actually going to try to bury the quote and go to the trouble of contacting journalists/Archant, I''m sure they''d deal with their own site first.

I know it is hard and we have our own views on matters, but we have to keep a degree of objectiveness - otherwise we''ll all go insane! [:)]

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Morning Wiz, have you seen today''s piece headlined "Earnie Will Stay - Grant"?

It quotes Grant as saying, in response to the question at yesterday''s press conference about a big cash offer for Earnie in January: "I would definitely turn it down".  It leaves out the other bit of the quote, buried at the bottom of yesterday''s piece: "I''m not saying the board would, but I would".

Why does it matter?  It matters because come January, if we do get a big offer and the board cave in, most fans won''t remember what Grant really said, if indeed they saw it in the first place.  They''ll remember the headline: "Earnie Will Stay - Grant" and blame him for going back on his word.  The board will wriggle off the hook yet again and come up smelling of roses.

I''m getting heartily sick of this.  The guy hasn''t been here a month and we''ve got this sort of manoeuvring going on already.  The amount of time, trouble and effort that the board puts into avoiding responsibility it quite unbelievable. 

[/quote]

Good day Mystic my friend, yeah I saw that too and no doubt like you, I won''t forget it either. If Earnie was sold, I''ll know were I''ll be pointing................................and it won''t be at Peter!.

Cheers mbncfc.  Maybe it''s just an example of poor journalism on Lakey''s part . . . or maybe you''re being wilfully naive.

The reason I keep banging on about the board is that somebody has to do it.  It''s nothing personal. I''m amazed and appalled at what many of our fans, including some of those who went through 1996, appear happy to let them get away with.  I''m just trying to redress the balance and get people to rub that magic Delia dust out of their eyes.   

Believe me, I''m often tempted to shut up and let events take their course.  You can''t make people listen to what they don''t want to hear.  Perhaps they''d rather have a cosy relationship with the board, secure in the knowledge that Delia thinks they''re "the best fans in the world", than a football club which aims to punch above its weight.  Folks, it aint healthy.  Nor is outright animosity, but a regular dose of scepticism wouldn''t go amiss.

Never be afraid to ask awkward and unsettling questions, or think the unthinkable.  The occasional touch of paranoia goes with the territory, but is a trivial price to pay for freeing your mind.

I see a situation similar to the O`Niell/Chase one developing here. The board have already asset stripped the team enough since relegation,making enormous profits in the transfer market on top of 6 million per season parachute payments,and now Grant seems to be hinting that they want even more?? If this occurs and the board sell our best player against the wishes of the man they`ve just given a 3 year contract to, they should expect to see mass demonstrations at Carrow Rd. once again. But then knowing the sheep mentality of most City supporters they`ll probably let the situation continue and the club decline further for a few years before doing something about it.....

Another thing to consider is whether the board or Grant will be able to do anything if Earnie himself says he wants to leave. Player power is huge and they will want to sell at the highest price rather than keep a disgruntled player.

Playing devil''s advocate for a moment, if Earnie suddenly throws his toys out of the pram, does a McKenzie, and decides he wants to move, that''s the fault of the manager and / or the Board is it???

I only ask because player power seems to be the key here, so, if Earnie wants to stay, he probably will, if he actually wants to go, he definately will go. 

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Playing devil''s advocate for a moment, if Earnie suddenly throws his toys out of the pram, does a McKenzie, and decides he wants to move, that''s the fault of the manager and / or the Board is it???

I only ask because player power seems to be the key here, so, if Earnie wants to stay, he probably will, if he actually wants to go, he definately will go. 

[/quote]

To answer a question with a question, would Earnie want to leave if the club was a bit more ambitious?

I don''t believe the Board will actively try to sell Earny in January but I expect they have a value of him which they would accept if a club came in and/or Earnie wanted to leave.

Peter Grants statement suggests to me that he doesn''t want to sell to create funds to spend which means either he is happy with the funds he has or he values Earny more than any players he could then bring in.

I think regular first team football is the key to keeping Earny happy so I don''t see another Dean Ashton situation unfolding here.

If Earnie was to leave, who would score the goals? If we sell him & don''t replace him with someone equally as good (we wouldn''t have the funds) the board might as well put out an announcement in the press "We have no ambition & promotion is nolonger our aim"

Unless of course Earnie does say he wants out, in which case we have no choice.

The thing is what Grant tells us fans with regards Ernie and what he tells the board may be two totally different stories - would Grant really look to sell Ernie in order for the funds to go out and buy a couple of players with the cash !! 

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]

To answer a question with a question, would Earnie want to leave if the club was a bit more ambitious?

[/quote]

I hope the answer is no, but weren''t we asking ourselves the same question this time last year about Dean Ashton?

Ok, so Dean didn''t throw his toys out of the plan, but he didn''t exactly say he wanted to stay either.

Hucks has, and we all want him to stay.

Let''s hope Earnie falls into the same category if push comes to shove.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Cheers mbncfc.  Maybe it''s just an example of poor journalism on Lakey''s part . . . or maybe you''re being wilfully naive.

The reason I keep banging on about the board is that somebody has to do it.  It''s nothing personal. I''m amazed and appalled at what many of our fans, including some of those who went through 1996, appear happy to let them get away with.  I''m just trying to redress the balance and get people to rub that magic Delia dust out of their eyes.   

Believe me, I''m often tempted to shut up and let events take their course.  You can''t make people listen to what they don''t want to hear.  Perhaps they''d rather have a cosy relationship with the board, secure in the knowledge that Delia thinks they''re "the best fans in the world", than a football club which aims to punch above its weight.  Folks, it aint healthy.  Nor is outright animosity, but a regular dose of scepticism wouldn''t go amiss.

Never be afraid to ask awkward and unsettling questions, or think the unthinkable.  The occasional touch of paranoia goes with the territory, but is a trivial price to pay for freeing your mind.

[/quote]

Sorry Mystic, I didn''t have a chance to come back to you...

I don''t think my response involved any kind of naivity on my part. I personally think the explainations I gave were more realistic and make more sense than being overtly paranoid about ''missing'' quotes - rather than wearing rose tinted glasses.

That said, keep doing what you''re doing MM. I enjoy your posts and they play an important part in questioning the perceptions we have of the hierachy at the club.

If I agree, I''ll say so. If I''m a bit more wary, I''ll say that instead. But it''s all worthwhile... the awkard questions have to be asked and our brains stimulated into questioning where we are... [8-|][Y]

If Earnies staying, why''s he still living at Dunston Hall?

Not normal behaviour after 10 months at a new club is it - my guess is he''ll be gone in Jan for £5m. Hope I''m wrong but the board at this club love the smell of other peoples cash.....

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

He''s being sold to Great Yarmouth then?

[/quote]

No. Gorleston F.C.  [H]

Dave Stringer swung the deal in memory of Sailor Brown.

Condition is they have to change back from Emerald Park to the Recreation Ground.

OTBC.