Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

The greatest goal scored by a Norwich player is.....

We''ve scored some pretty damn good goals this season, including a few yesterday and it got me thinking: What is the best ever goal scored by a Norwich player. I''d like to offer two:

Jeremy Goss Vs Leeds 1993/94: That volley. What a goal. A perfect display of how to execute a volley. Even the Leeds fans clapped.

Darren Eadie Vs Sunderland: Not exactly sure of the date. Probably around 96/97. The ball fell to him a hell of a long way, must have been 35/40 yards, and he lobbed the keeper magnificently.

Of course I haven''t included THAT goal against Bayern, but I thought for technique, Goss'' volley against Leeds was better.

I do have the slight disadvantage of only being able to draw on the past 20 odd years of experience. For this I apologise.

Any other contenders for best ever City goal?

For me it has to be Asa Hartford''s deflected goal in the Milk Cup final. Nevermind the quality, it''s the importance of the occasion that counts! That goal made one nine year old boy cheering at Wembley very happy indeed.

Of recent years Marc Libbra''s wonder-goal against Man City had that "how the **** did he do that?" quality to it.

I wouldn''t normally associate the words "greatest goal" with Robert Rosario, but I do remember him scoring a long-range cracker against Southampton which amazingly won him Saint and Greavsie''s ITV Goal of the Season award.

I agree Delia, Jeremy''s goal away to Leeds will always have a special place in my heart. I have never quite seen any other goal like that.

Mark Bowen scored a beauty against Sheff Wed from a long way out in a 3-0 win...I think it was the same year. David Phillips jumping volley against Crystal Palace...remember that?

This should be an interesting thread.

Anything from Iwan eh 1stwizard??

DD you must have seen the old Justin Fash goal v Liverpool on TV. That would probably get my vote. Though Hucks this year at Milton Keynes would be top 10 for exectution.

Seriously, the greatest ever Norwich goal will be the one that clinches promotion this year and it can come of Drurys backside for all I care!!!

This one could run for days...but here are my special moments:

Fashanu vs Liverpool - HAS to be one of the all time great goals anywhere, let alone for Norwich. That nonchalant turn after he scored wagging one finger - complete class!

God help me for saying this, but what about Rob Rosario (there I said it - sorry!!!) against Southampton - when was it???

And I have some dim and distant memories of an afternoon at the Old Den when Flecky scored an absolute screamer...

Then there''s the class of Reeves et al to look at...

This is too hard, I give up!

We''ve been treated to some corkers in the last few seasons alone - Nedergaard''s 35-yard rocket at Carrow Road (I forget against who - Coventry?), McVeigh''s curling long-range effort against Derby last year, a couple of thunder Holts (Sheff Wed away and Burnley at home), McVeigh''s goal against Wolves which started with Libbra''s flick-on, Libbra''s debut against Manchester City, Huckerby''s volley against Milton Keynes. Have I missed any?

without doubt for me it has to be steve bruce 86 min second leg milk cup semi final 1985
against you lot know who, it was sweet ,19 years later just thinking about it makes me smile

Fashanu against Liverpool, I had a perfect view from the south stand and it was a majic moment in a memerable match, but Goss at Leeds was unbelievable and just takes the biscuit for me.

A bit left field this one and somewhat obscure, but I recall a screamer from Greg Downs (1980 ish?) against Huddersfield in the FA Cup one year. My memory may be playing tricks but I am sure it was sub zero temperatures, an awful game, we won 1-0 due to a 35 yard belter.

Greg neverr scored many goals so I think we all fell about in shock rather than jump around too much.

No one has mentioned Fleck Part 2 against Swindon in the first game of the season a few years back when he ran on to a long ball and lashed one into the Barclay goal.

And what about Fleck Part 1 against Millwall on TV early 90s, shades of Fashanu against Liverpool, on edge of area, turned, flicked ball up and belted it into the corner for a 3-2 win. On live TV too.

Of them all I''d vote for Libbra though. Just sensational.

What about Fleck against Millwall 88/89? As for Goss against Leeds, it wasn''t just the volley
but the build up play and cross as well.(Was it Ruel?). Rosario against Southampton 89/90, I
think it was 5-5 and that was the equalizer. McVEIGH against Wolves in the play-off semi final. The list goes on but ANY Norwich goal is the greatest ever to me.

what about fleck getting the winner at millwall right at the end of the game. Although I have already said I think Goss at Leeds was the best, for the most pleasure it has to be O''Neil Boxing day at Ip***t when he put the free kick away in extra time to seal a 3-2 victory.

My personal one was the Steve Bruce 86th minute header against the binners...

However a close second was Iwans at the millennium - just for occasion, cementing him as a legend and what it might have meant..

How about the one by Dean Coney? It came out of nowhere and certainly caught me by surprise!

For build up I think it has to be JG at Leeds. For significance it has to be Bruce (I lived off that one for several years). For individual skill I think Fash.

MSG to web team perhaps we could get a vote set up for this by all accounts the top ones from what i can see:
goss at leeds
fleck at millwall (pops up on tv now and then was good goal at the ''old'' den)
bruce at the unmentionables ( that picture of brucie makes me smile everytime i see it)
libbra vs man city
rosario at soton (before my time too young dont remeber that)
eadie vs sundeland (the keeper was perez an absolute class goal)

Heres one no-one has said holt at sheff wed when we one 5-0, eadies last against crewe eadie against wright were he took it around the keeper and finsihed on the ''wrong'' foot no less acute goal but superb

Top idea - I''ll set up a pinned post for people to reply with nominations then I''ll set up a voting page.

The greatest goal has to be the one scored in about two weeks time, which wins us promotion, it will probably be Huckerby or McKenzie but would be nice if Iwan got it, especially as reaching 100 goals for this club is looking pretty impossible

Flecky scored a great goal against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. A Volley
on the run, just over the halfway line straight into the top right hand corner.
Brilliant!