Sign in to follow this  
charlies dad

Reserves beaten.

Just a few thoughts on last nights reserves fixture against southend. After demolishing Luton in the last 2nd string game at CR, I was hopeful of another crushing win. Against the run of play southend opened the scoring when louis jean was outpaced (a common theme for the evening) and Bradbury slotted home the pullback. The lively Fisk equalised for city, Louis Jean went to ground and conceded a penalty, slotted home with ease, 2-1 and a Lewis howler made it an unlikely and rather undeserved 3-1 at the break. Despite having far more efforts on goal, city were taking a hiding! An Eagle cross picked out the otherwise innefective Jarvis.. 2-3. But an unmarked striker bundled home a scrappy goal from close range 2-4. still time for Eagle to hitt the bar, and Lathrope and martin to 1-2 their way through southend for the former to shoot wide with the goal gaping - a rare moment of quality. MOTM Fisk. busy and a goal, and he might have had more. Jarvis? again unimpressive against defenders sush as che wilson, he shouldnt be anonymous. al ouargui? innefectual. Louis Jean? SLOW. Nowhere near good enough. Get rid. Spillane, Smart, Lewis? all off colour. The crowd? over 2000!!!  

A fair assesement of the game especially Louis Jean who had a bad evening and Spillane who was lethargic and mainly dis interested all evening. Fisk lively, Martin worked hard and Bexfield my MOTM, the most compused player on the pitch including a couple of thunderous tackles one which he ran 50 yards across pitch to save MLJ further embarrasment ( would love to see him at RB instead of MLJ).Eagle full of running but little movement from a static forward line. Very entertaining and I will be going back-value for money

What''s the deal with Jarvis, CD? Does he always play fairly half-heartedly for the reserves?

If so, I think we can begin to understand why he hasn''t made his mark in the 1st team yet.

Well Mook., as a regular observer of the second string, it seems to me that Jarvis, a clever player with good technique, seems to lack commitment, pace, and the physicality needed to play up front. He rearely, if ever wins a header, and bearing in mind the quality of the opposition, I just felt he should be standing out, he simply doesn''t. Worthington was definately right about him in my opinion. Re Louis Jean, he was absolutely awful, a liability. Agree with hump about the thunderous tackles, Bexfield, Martin and Quaye all put in full-blooded old fashioned bone cruncher tackles in the second half , 50-50 determination not to lose the ball, that left an opponent in a heap, a couple of times, i heard the crunch as the players came together.!

The time is right to let Ryan go .I think when young players get too much too soon there is no desire. We give a youngster a 3/4 year deal and he thinks he has nothing to prove and slips into mediocrity. They sit on the bench picking up silly amounts of money and cannot as Charlies dad says shine against average opposition. Nice Bloke but he has had enough chances-lets give the ones below a chance and see if they can crack it-it is not all about ability, they need to be mentally strong.

Totally agree with you Hump I think Ryan was quite lucky to get a new deal last year, I don''t think he had done enough over his past contract to warrant another one.  It is maybe a sign of the money/contract debate that the best players last night appear to be ones like Fisk on a one year contract and no doubt  a wage pack to match and Bexfield, Quale etc fighting for a contract? I too have been disappointed with the "senior" players in the reserves this year in seniors I mean those pros not on a one year deal!!

i saw city v ipswich reserves last season and our forward line of thorne, jarvis and hendo on the right looked static and in the pocket of their youth team defenders all night.  eagle stood out for me on the left, but had nothing to aim at.  conversely, the display of hayles  up front for  ipswich was  in stark contrast, he was a  real handful  all night.

Jarv actually played very well last night, especially in the first half where we was at the centre of all the good things produced by the reserves!

Faded a little in the 2nd half mainly due to the game becoming stretched and an inability to keep the ball!

If we were to get rid of Jarvis, I wonder how long before posters come onto the message board after he has scored for his new side complaining that we should never have let him go and how he was the best academy player to come through the ranks etc etc.

Lost count of all the former players who scored at the weekend who we should never have let go or brought back according to other members.

[quote user="Hump"]

A fair assesement of the game especially Louis Jean who had a bad evening and Spillane who was lethargic and mainly dis interested all evening.

[/quote]

Doesn''t sound good.

Thought he was on the verge of being given a chance in the 1st team.

Maybe (a) you are being unfair, (b) he had a tummy upset, (c) he had his wallet in his shorts pocket, or (d) Ryan Jarvis is his role model.

Do hope it was (a) or (b).

OTBC.