Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

I agree with Mike Newell

Apparently Luton were denied yesterday by a poor decision by the referee and/or his assistant.  One of the assistants was a woman.  Afterwards Mike Newell launched a tirade against women officials in the professional men''s game.

Whilst I don''t agree with everything he said, especially the implication that women officials can''t be as good as men because they are women (does he think we''re too puny to lift the offside flag, or lacking the bottle or intellect to make difficult decisions, or incapable of reaching the required fitness levels?), I do accept that on the pitch it IS a man''s world.  Simple statement of fact, not a value judgement.   

There are situations where women have been unfairly denied access to employment.  When I left school in 1968 I wanted to go into the printing trade, but couldn''t because it was a closed shop and the union did not allow women to join.  Sounds ridiculous now, doesn''t it?  But equality for its own sake is just as ridiculous.

Because Luton lost the game Mike Newell''s comments sound like sour grapes, but actually I think he''s got a point.  

(Borat . . . what do you think?)

haha! ive just read that report on the bbc before coming on here....i thought it was hilarious! the man ''s a ledgend and its now one of my favourate quotes after a many beckham quotes of course....but what he says is honestly true but you know he''s going to get rapped by the fa for it, which is a shame

and also his point about politcal correctness as well is spot on, the whole country is going stupid over this issue of being ''pc''

mike newell...we salute you!

I agree. The current crop of men officials are terrible 95% of the time and to allow woman officials to officiate at this level is ridiculous. I''ve played in a match refereed by a woman and it was a shambles from start to finish. Again this is a case of political correctness gone mad!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="gareth"]I agree. The current crop of men officials are terrible 95% of the time and to allow woman officials to officiate at this level is ridiculous. I''ve played in a match refereed by a woman and it was a shambles from start to finish. Again this is a case of political correctness gone mad!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Sorry I disagree totally, Saying woman can''t do the job because they are woman is ridiculous. They have to pass the same tests that male officials and then males officials make mistakes (In every match thats ever been played) then I don''t hear cry''s for male officials to leave the game just because they are male!

Woman should be a part of the game 100%

i''m not sexist and don''t agree with some of his comments, but feel we should have male officials in the mens game and female officiails in the womens game

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Apparently Luton were denied yesterday by a poor decision by the referee and/or his assistant.  One of the assistants was a woman.  Afterwards Mike Newell launched a tirade against women officials in the professional men''s game.

Whilst I don''t agree with everything he said, especially the implication that women officials can''t be as good as men because they are women (does he think we''re too puny to lift the offside flag, or lacking the bottle or intellect to make difficult decisions, or incapable of reaching the required fitness levels?), I do accept that on the pitch it IS a man''s world.  Simple statement of fact, not a value judgement.   

There are situations where women have been unfairly denied access to employment.  When I left school in 1968 I wanted to go into the printing trade, but couldn''t because it was a closed shop and the union did not allow women to join.  Sounds ridiculous now, doesn''t it?  But equality for its own sake is just as ridiculous.

Because Luton lost the game Mike Newell''s comments sound like sour grapes, but actually I think he''s got a point.  

(Borat . . . what do you think?)

[/quote]

What a terrific post Mystic. There are thousands of things women do better than men....especially when it comes to multi tasking etc. There are however just a few things men do better and these usually include physical tasks. I do honestly believe that mens football is best left in the hands of men for all sorts of reasons......not least because they prefer it that way.

This is not meant to imply any superiority, especially having brought up two sons single handedly, I''m acutely aware of what they can do.......and how well they can juggle so many balls in the air at one time. Total respect is due!

[quote user="gareth"]I agree. The current crop of men officials are terrible 95% of the time and to allow woman officials to officiate at this level is ridiculous. I''ve played in a match refereed by a woman and it was a shambles from start to finish. Again this is a case of political correctness gone mad!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Gareth . . . I''ve NEVER been to a game refereed by a man that was a shambles from start to finish . . . have you???

Women''s ability to officiate is not the issue. 

If you''re good enough, I don''t care what sex you are.Mike Newell is wrong. It''s got nothing to do with political correctness. It''s do with ability. It seems that men are allowed to make as many mistakes as they wish. The minute a woman does it, then it''s because of her gender. Quite frankly that''s pathetic. It''s like me saying that i don''t like Dermot Gallagher because he''s bald or Mike Riley because he''s tall and skinny. The fact that they are both inconsistent referees seems to have no bearing on the matter.

Hello. I back.

I like very much this Mist Meg.She know man good and old woman with flag funny.I laugh with teeth when see.In Khazakstan we have no lady football.We don''t let.My sister sport in village.She no half time and everyone score.Loser go last.We throw stone.

I train team next week.Mr Grunt fall off chair and hurt.I say Delilea Smilth Come on I want have you like fan.She very good dumplings.I try.

I back soon.High five!

Newell is clearly prejudiced, and openly admits to being so. But his discriminatory views are unacceptable, and show him up to be a complete idiot. He deserves whatever punishment the FA dish out.  Let''s take his comments as reported on the BBC website and change the context, making the official a black man instead of a woman. (I have underlined the words I have changed)He said: "He shouldn''t be here. I know that sounds racist but I am racist. "This

is Championship football. This is not park football, so what are blacks doing here? It is tokenism - for the politically-correct idiots." "We

have a problem in this country with political correctness," added

Newell. "And bringing blacks into the game is not the way to improve

refereeing and officialdom. "It is absolutely beyond belief. When do we reach a stage when all officials are black because then we are in trouble? "It is bad enough with the incapable referees and linesmen we have but if you start bringing in blacks, you have big problems."  
Clear discrimination, right? It''s no different if it''s based on race or gender. So Newell, please shut the f*** up.

Sorry ladies if I''m letting the side down, but its a man''s game and I personally don''t want to see female refs and linos.

Its men I want to see and if I do want to see women I''ll go and watch netball.

Sorry girls!

[quote user="cityangel"]

Sorry ladies if I''m letting the side down, but its a man''s game and I personally don''t want to see female refs and linos.

Its men I want to see and if I do want to see women I''ll go and watch netball.

Sorry girls!

[/quote]

A female football Fan going for the men! now theres a rarity ;)

jas :)

Sorry, but I don''t agree with Mike Newell''s comments.

Officials go through the same marking and assessing system, whether they are male or female, they don''t get favourable marks just for being female. The lady in question will be there are merit and if she wasn''t good enough, she wouldn''t be there in the first place.

All this cr*p about it being a man''s game is rubbish.

Newell is well out of order and should get the wrap accordingly.

Thank god he didn''t make it to the Carrow Road hot seat is all I can say

Mystic Megson wrote "on the pitch it IS a man''s world.  Simple statement of fact.."

Why is it a man''s world? Why is it a ''fact''?

Your statement above lacks substance as well as being embarrassingly sexist. Having seen the linesmen give some awful decisions at our last two home games, I would have no problems with the linos who officiated at the England Ladies'' game at Carrow Road doing so for our matches.    

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Sorry, but I don''t agree with Mike Newell''s comments.

Officials go through the same marking and assessing system, whether they are male or female, they don''t get favourable marks just for being female. The lady in question will be there are merit and if she wasn''t good enough, she wouldn''t be there in the first place.

All this cr*p about it being a man''s game is rubbish.

Newell is well out of order and should get the wrap accordingly.

Thank god he didn''t make it to the Carrow Road hot seat is all I can say

[/quote]

This funny.I like very much joke.

I cannot see any reason why women should not be as capable of officiating a sporting event equal to men. It is surely about judgement and interpersonal skills.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

Mystic Megson wrote "on the pitch it IS a man''s world.  Simple statement of fact.."

Why is it a man''s world? Why is it a ''fact''?

Your statement above lacks substance as well as being embarrassingly sexist. Having seen the linesmen give some awful decisions at our last two home games, I would have no problems with the linos who officiated at the England Ladies'' game at Carrow Road doing so for our matches.    

[/quote]

It''s a man''s world because all the players are men.  I meant it in the purely factual sense, nothing to do with machismo.  

As posted above, I entirely disagree with Newell''s implication that women per se are not up to the job.  Ability is not the issue.  It''s about equality for the sake of it. 

As a matter of fact, I''m no longer sure that the use of women has much to do with equal opportunities. Newell''s rather extreme-sounding comment about "What if they were all women?" is presumably a reference to the fact that there''s a growing shortage of men to officiate.  Replacing them with women is not the answer.  Someone needs to find out why there''s a shortage of men and do something about it. 

Syphoning off the best officials from women''s football could also have a detrimental effect on the development of the women''s game imo. 

Why do you find sexism embarrassing?  Do you feel it is your duty to enlighten me?  As a woman I find that patronising.

If they are good enough then they should do the job irregardless of age, sex or creed.   Women can run the country, fight for the forces and police Riverside and POW Rd on a sat night yet can ref or run tehline on a football pitch - yer having a laugh. 

Yet another example of somebody making a completely unaacceptable comment and then complaining about the PC lobby or whatever you want to call it. By adding this to any statement you can basically guarantee that mamy people will agree with you and witter on about how political correctness is ruining this country, regardless on how inaccurate your original statement was.

People shouldn''t be afraid of admitting that some elements of political correctness have actually improved our society. Personally, I think that allowing women to officiate in football matches after they have passed exactly the dame exams as the male officials is one such example.

I like to assume the woman official at Luton was qualified in her own right so was there to do a job.

I don''t like the knee jerk reactions when people speak their minds and I worry we are losing the right to free speech in this country. Abuse is abuse, but free speech is a different thing and is vital if we to ever be able to challenge our own attitudes, never mind other peoples.

If people lose their jobs as some demand every time they make a remark they would be better to reflect on having heard the views of others then all we will end up with is an intolerant society where prejudices are insidious and cleverly concealed. We are all entitled to our views. In Britain today the synthetic moralising of politicians is creating a vacuum for real debate which is now being filled by groups such as the BNP; and that is a real danger to our democracy.

Mystic should be congratulated for this thread, I might not wholly agree with her but she is presenting her views and encouraging debate in the same way there has been an excellent and tolerant debate on religon which might not be an obvious topic for a football forum but does show a decent level of respect for others in the football community.

Interestingly, on a radio debate this morning there seems to be a certain level of objection from men that the prescence of women officials might make them consider their conduct on the pitch. Why is it acceptible for a male official to be a suitable outlet for aggression and frustration. It doesn''t happen in rugby so isn''t this a football trait best eradicated?

[quote user="greenTshirt"]If you''re good enough, I don''t care what sex you are.

Mike Newell is wrong. It''s got nothing to do with political correctness. It''s do with ability. It seems that men are allowed to make as many mistakes as they wish. The minute a woman does it, then it''s because of her gender. Quite frankly that''s pathetic.

It''s like me saying that i don''t like Dermot Gallagher because he''s bald or Mike Riley because he''s tall and skinny. The fact that they are both inconsistent referees seems to have no bearing on the matter.

[/quote]

I want to see GOOD officials - be they black or white, male or female. I can''t stand Mike Riley but I can''t decry all male, white referees because of him.

I just wish for an improvement in the standards of those officiating (or the technology to assist them). I felt sorry for Amy and feel strongly that she should not have had to endure such a very public rant, much as some other officials (male) have also had to endure from Mike Newell when not wholly deserved. I know he is already in trouble with the FA because of his public opinions of the officials but having seen some of the footage, maybe he should be looking closer to home and some of the ''cheating'' that goes on in games (and I don''t mean to imply that it is only Luton either) but he does come over as very ''holier than thou''!

I think I am missing something here. Can somebody please explain to me (without resorting to lame, bigoted stereotypes) why a woman should not be able to officiate at a football match as well as a man. Surely it is more about awareness, knowledge and judgment than a crude biological distinction?

Mike Newell''s comments are a load of rubbish and shame on the Pinkun'' posters who agree with him.

If he''d said that black people shouldn''t be allowed to officiate he would have been metaphorically strung up (and rightly so). This sort of statement is just as ridiculous as suggesting that women as a group in society (in the UK there are approx 30 million -s urely some can be good refs) cannot officiate.

Political correctness might have gone mad, but not in this instance - there are plenty of women in the world who can do the jobs of men as well or better than men can, but unfortunately for women our society is patriarchal and looks likely to remain so if the likes of Newell have their way. 

There is only one way that Newell could justify his comments and that is if the assistant was promoted to this level because she was a woman and not because of ability. As there is no evidence of that he is totally out of order.

We have huge issues concerning referees. There are very few consistently good ones and the numbers coming through are reducing. Why on earth should we be refusing admission to half the population? If there are better women referees/assistents out there than the men we currently have in charge then we need to be using them. Simple.

Also many women love the professional mens game, why should they be denied a chance to participate in it if they have the ability?

I know I''m only repeating what''s already been said eloquently by a

number of posters but I detest any attempts to condemn an individual

because of his/her sex, race, age, religion etc. On a grand scale I

think it is a wicked thing to do & is the root of much hatred,

cruelty & misery throughout the world. On a minor scale it is

extremely hurtful & unkind to the individual concerned. On a

personal note I was saddened to read recently that, as a middle-aged

man (and the father of 3 lovely daughters),  I would not be deemed

fit to sit next to an unaccompanied child on a plane - children have to

be protected from me because I''m a man. Whilst I understand the

reasoning, I find the implications hurtful, I''m sure Amy Rayner finds

Mike Newell''s words hurtful & I hope she is strong enough to

overcome this unwarranted and wicked insult. As a postscript, I hope

Mike Newell does not lose his job, 6 months community service

refereeing Sunday morning Ladies football matches would be much more

appropriate

I''m not too bothered whether he loses his job or not - I imagine he realises how ignorant he has made himself look. All I can say is that if he had made those comments as our manager I would be desperately ashamed of him.

[quote]

I''m not too bothered whether he loses his job or not - I imagine he realises how ignorant he has made himself look. All I can say is that if he had made those comments as our manager I would be desperately ashamed of him.

[/quote]

Too Right!