Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Ryan Jarvis - NCFC Career Over?

For me it probably is - I mean he was given a couple of starts by Grant by it looks like the new man was pretty unimpressed and is now seemingly behind Thorne in the pecking order - not a good place to be!

I am never sure what Ryan Jarvis''s best position would be. I don''t think he is behind Thorne in the pecking order because they are different players who do different jobs. If your logic is right Ulf then he is also behind Paul McVeigh who in turn is behind Andy Hughes in the pecking order and some would say that''s a very bad place to be!

I have seen him a few times and he has never really impressed me as anything special. He is also getting too old to be called youth, so perhaps its time he was either put in the team or sold.

I have to say that in my time as being a Norwich fan, I can''t think of a more over rated, sh*t "next big thing" other than Ryan Jarvis. I find him arrogant and cocky and he just doesn''t seem to be prepared to work for it - as some of the reserve reviews have said on here, his work rate is suspect.. People always come back at posts like this by saying something along the lines of, "oh but he''s never given a chance" - he has had ample chances to make his make, but he never takes them!!!

It''s time for him and us to move on, I feel.

When Jarvis came through he was trumpeted as our next big thing, but I''ve never been overly impressed with him. Whether that is because of his attitude or because he is simply not good enough, I''m not sure - but whatever the reason, he''s not going to make it here. A move would be better for all concerned.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

I have to say that in my time as being a Norwich fan, I can''t think of a more over rated, sh*t "next big thing" other than Ryan Jarvis. I find him arrogant and cocky and he just doesn''t seem to be prepared to work for it - as some of the reserve reviews have said on here, his work rate is suspect.. People always come back at posts like this by saying something along the lines of, "oh but he''s never given a chance" - he has had ample chances to make his make, but he never takes them!!!

[/quote]

I would not move him on quite yet.  His second goal against Rotherham was a lovely finish and from watching him play junior football with England you can see he has a lot of talent.

What he and the club both need is for him to go on loan and get 15-20 consecutive first team games under his belt and then see whether we should let him  go or not.  Let’s not chuck him out of the door just yet, people say he has had chances but do the odd substitute appearance and occasional outing in league cup games really constitute a real chance?  He needs a run in the side, in his preferred position before we can really make a decision.  People wanted Etuhu gone last year but given a run of games in the centre of midfield, he has been one of our better players this season.  Jarvis is only 20 and despite the fact that people may feel he should of made it by now I would ask who had heard of Freddy Eastwood 4 years ago when he was 20?  It''s not too late for Jarvis.........yet.

There has been a lot of expectation on Ryan Jarvis. He seems to hold the entire hopes of 4 years academy productivity on his shoulders, something that sets him apart from Henderson and others (although I''m struggling for other examples - a sign of the problem...)

He is one of (I think ''the'' if my memory serves me correctly) youngest scorers/players in Norwich''s history, so he seems to have been around longer and achieved less than another player who had been in the first team squad for 4 years.

I always look forward to watching him play, and you feel that there is something good and creative waiting to happen. The problem is, that invariably doesn''t materialise and you feel let down...

SC has it right though I believe. A loan out maybe for a season to a lower league club and see how he gets on. We don''t necessarily have to sell him. There are a couple of years of coaching and development room in him. I say a loan for the rest of the season, if we bring in a couple of new faces ourselves. See how he gets on - if he goes to a League 2 side and has an impact, the options to us as a club on the player are much improved... maybe sell him for more money, other clubs may show an interest, or he stays here as an improved/confident player.

If it fails, I can''t see it being a situation much worse to where we are now...

Yeah lets sell him then his true potential can be realised just like Cureton and he can back back to Carrow Road with some crappy club like Colchester and score the opening goal against us.  Love it.

mbnfc - please stop talking sense! [;)]I agree, try to find a club to take him on loan - can''t see how we''d lose. Maybe the problem is finding a club who''s interested? [*-)]

it does seem pretty senseless to keep him without ever really giving

him a run in the team or sending him on loan. I suspect he''ll be in the

group cleared out in Jan or next summer along with Henderson, Robinson,

Louis-Jean, Thorn, and perhaps zipper.

I wouldn''t be surprised to think that clubs from the league ones and league twos of this world have probably enquired to take him on loan, but knowing Jarvis'', (though not directly of course, I know people who know what he is like...) then he probably wouldn''t want to lower himself and his standards by actually dropping down the leagues and going to a lower club...

Like Saint Canary, I do think it is best for him to go out on loan, but the longer he refuses to (and that''s a big if, i don''t actually know that for a fact) then the harder it will be for him, and he will not get any better. It makes me laugh every year since about 2002, in the annual Canary Preview magazine, we''re promised that the coming season will be the one where he takes the league by storm and proves his worth...but it just aint happening! It also makes me cringe when people go on about his fabulous striker vs Liverpool, as if it was some massive achievement - we lost the game, and it was in the dying seconds, so it meant nothing in the scheme of things. Having said that, it probably was a massive achievement when put into context alongside his NCFC career so far - i.e - nothing.

Go out on loan, or bugger off and free up the wage.

hes not happy here.. hes thinkin about leavin and doesnt like the way grants critisicin players in the media. especially himself and huckerby.

One sure way to silence Grant: and that is to pull one''s deeply inserted digit from one''s rear and prove that one is better that one seems to be.

The thing with Freddy Eastwood is that he took a step backwards to get on.  He joined Grays a year after being released by West Ham and has progressed from there.  I firmly believe we should let Ryan go, but I don''t think many clubs in lower divisions would be interested as he is a bit of a luxury player and that type of player doesn''t really have a place in div 1 2 or conference.  So I really dont know where he goes from here footballing wise.  

[quote user="beelsie"]One sure way to silence Grant: and that is to pull one''s deeply inserted digit from one''s rear and prove that one is better that one seems to be.[/quote]

Very well said. Sooner or later he will have to prove himself. If those are his true feelings, then he''s not worth the money they''re paying him...

Is it possible that Paul McVeigh is Ryan''s mentor?

Would explain a lot, regarding attitude.......tinged with a bit of arrogance.

The thing no ones mentioned is that he did go on loan at the tail end of the premiership season to Colchester. I distinctly remember Phi Parkinson being quite bullish about it - the thing is by all accounts Jarvis was awful he played two games missed a hatful of chances and then was relegated to the bench and then dropped! So perhaps no wonder no one is q''ing up to loan him.

The Mcveigh thing I don''t know the similarly is they are both ''old school'' footballers in that they both are skilful players who don''t rely purely on physical attributes for succes. Which is a shame but that''s the way football is going - I mean look we could''nt give Paul Mcveigh away yet bought Andy hughes for half a million and sold leon for a million.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

The thing no ones mentioned is that he did go on loan at the tail end of the premiership season to Colchester. I distinctly remember Phi Parkinson being quite bullish about it - the thing is by all accounts Jarvis was awful he played two games missed a hatful of chances and then was relegated to the bench and then dropped! So perhaps no wonder no one is q''ing up to loan him.

The Mcveigh thing I don''t know the similarly is they are both ''old school'' footballers in that they both are skilful players who don''t rely purely on physical attributes for succes. Which is a shame but that''s the way football is going - I mean look we could''nt give Paul Mcveigh away yet bought Andy hughes for half a million and sold leon for a million.

[/quote]

Two bad games for Colchester and his career is over then.  He is still young and does have talent which is no doubt why he was offered a new contract.  What he needs is regular football, not two games here, a couple of subs here and the odd league cup game.  I''m not saying he is going to make it, all I am saying let''s see what he can do with a run of games under his belt before we let him leave the club.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]

Tad harsh, anyone remember Adrian Coote. The next Iwan Roberts, he''ll score us 20 goals a season?

Problem is, if a player is kept in the reserves too long they don''t progress, he needs to be loaned out, given a chance there to see if he is really up to scratch. At the moment he is in a comfort zone - and probably needs a jolt or two to get him alive again. His goal against Liverpool was quality.