Sign in to follow this  
mbncfc

Canaries in the Smoke...

So, you live in London, but didn''t manage to get hold of a precious ticket for Sunday''s game.

You don''t want to spend the equivalent of a season ticket on Sky, but you really want to watch the match...

The question is, Londonites, where can I watch the game on Sunday in the Capital, where the locals won''t scream and moan that they can''t watch the horse-racing, and bully the landlord into turning the channel over in their favour after 12 minutes?...

Any ideas greatly appreciated... [Y]

Hello Meeky...

Yes, I''ve had a look. It''s good for travel, but the forum hasn''t been working so I haven''t had much luck posting anything. Will keep trying though...

I''m hoping between here and there, I''ll get a result!

Tanking you muchly...[:)]

I''d imagine the sports bar in town will, but quite a lot of local pubs will as long as there is no other fixture on at the same time, like somebody said have a look on the Capital Canaries site.

The Fishmongers arms in Southgate are showing it thou.

From memory I think it starts at 11, but I''m sure there is a website, I would look but I''m too busy ruling the world as Norwich on FIFA07.

Enjoy, wherever you go mate.

Sadly, it can be difficult to get a viewing of a Norwich match in London.

The Sports Cafe near Piccadily will have it, but it''s an awful soul destroying place. Last season i watched the Plymouth home game in a pub in Southgate (where I used to live). I forget the name, but it''s just over the road from Wimpy (yes, they still exist). The TV got turned over and then miraculously it came back on - everyone thought I was very odd when I spasmed because of a goal.

I now live in Hackney and bizarrely there is an old pub which is dedicated to all things football. However, it is called The Hawthorns and as such has a terrible WBA feel to it. Nevertheless, I''ve checked it out and amongst the memorabilia there was a Norwich scarf on one wall. This pub is not for the faint hearted, but I''m sure they''ll have the game. You may get glared at by the locals.

I think I know the pub you mean Tuff, the Rising Sun and god its a dive, god knows how that Wimpy survives, every time I pass it its dead, where abouts did you live in Southgate?

Wimpy survives due to its passed and novel approach of serving fast food, with cutlery! Genius if you ask me...

The pub in Hackney sounds similar to one my uncle is going to be visiting in Seven Kings. Apparently "bad things happen there" and I''m not one to tempt fate, even if only to protect the scoreline...

Haymarket is sounding like the best option. I know the Prix de l''Arc de Triomphe isn''t on this weekend, so maybe I''ll try my local again too...

Thanks guys for all your help. Here''s to it being worth it... [B]

[quote user="winchmorehill canary"]I think I know the pub you mean Tuff, the Rising Sun and god its a dive, god knows how that Wimpy survives, every time I pass it its dead, where abouts did you live in Southgate?[/quote]

Yes, the Rising Sun. Not a great pub, but far from the worst I''ve been in London. I went on a small pub crawl in Hackney which took in not only the trendy bars but also the traditional East End boozers. It was awful - one of the pubs had no fridges, but plenty of racism.

I used to live on Leigh Hunt Drive and sadly never ate in the Wimpy.

I won''t be going to the WBA pub, I''ll try and find somewhere a bit less unsavory.

Up the Canaries!

Why not fork out rather less than a Sky subscription and get the train to Norwich . . .?  Beer''s probably cheaper too.

You could save a little by getting off at Ipswich, but you''re not that skint are you?

OTBC

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Why not fork out rather less than a Sky subscription and get the train to Norwich . . .?  Beer''s probably cheaper too.

You could save a little by getting off at Ipswich, but you''re not that skint are you?

OTBC

[/quote]

Good to see you MM!

He He, being broke is all relative, so really I''m very well off compared to a significant amount of the World''s population. Thankfully I would have the means to pass Ipswich by!

I did look at getting Sky added to my modest cable package... £22 a month for 4 extra sports channels (ie for one match). I could get a return to Norwich for less than that definitely. However, my one day-off a week has involved tiring trips to Norwich and back for the last few weeks to do work I prefer to do, but alas don''t get much (read any) money for. So a day-off, in London, for the pure ease of it, sounds lovely... [<:o)]

Hope alls well MM [:)]

[quote user="mbncfc"]

He He, being broke is all relative, so really I''m very well off compared to a significant amount of the World''s population. 

[/quote]

Just read this back and I''m not sure it quite comes across as I wish.

What I mean by ''very well off'' is I live in a country where I have the opportunity to achieve anything I wish to. I have food and shelter. I have the option of free healthcare, eductation, information, employment...

It isn''t any reference to class, income or any such like (just in case it came across as such).

Troy, That was The Puzzle near the old Bailey, watched last seasons Burnley fiasco there, I have tried to get hold of cheeky monkey a couple of times......i think there are a couple of CM on the board, so it is hard to get hold of him.

Excuse my ignorance (Australian) but can pubs open at 11.30 on a sunday?

mbncfc and all who replied to my thread the other day - many thanks for your support, it''s greatly appreciated believe me.

I haven''t got much time to post at the moment, and "my head is not right" but better after a decent kip last night.  Life could be worse.

There are a handful (3-4) of us going to the Railway Tavern in Liverpool Street (opposite the main entrance to the station). They open at 11.

[quote user="fleckmatic"]There are a handful (3-4) of us going to the Railway Tavern in Liverpool Street (opposite the main entrance to the station). They open at 11.
[/quote]

Now that sounds tempting... Maybe I could persuade my uncle too... we''ll make the pub yellow and green for a couple of hours! [:D]

[quote user="mystic megson"]

mbncfc and all who replied to my thread the other day - many thanks for your support, it''s greatly appreciated believe me.

I haven''t got much time to post at the moment, and "my head is not right" but better after a decent kip last night.  Life could be worse.

[/quote]

...just don''t go demanding a move to Coventry... trust me, you''ll hate it [;)]

I jest MM, I send you happy thoughts. I have also schedules these to be taken over by another source from 11.30am on Sunday. I''m just hoping they come through... [<:o)]

[quote user="Troy Tempest"]I seem to remember a post on here before about a City fan who runs a pub in the City of London near Old Bailey. Does anyone else remember more?[/quote]

Cheeky Monkey runs (or at least to) The Puzzle Pub next to the City Thameslink.   I doubt it opens at the w/e''s though given the location.

There`s the Oxford arms  in Camden  , which   has several  tv screens , and is football orientated  , bit of a dive ,   but  the 12 noon sunday opening time  looks to be  " flexible "  .

Another  way is  just to get the sky package for just one month  , about £19   ( NTL )