Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Newell shots himself in the foot!

As everyone seems to be in favour of speaking their minds, free speech,

not letting the "PC brigade" or anyone else curb their freedoms, etc

then why don''t some here  (you know who you are) just admit they

are sexist and racist and stop pretending they''re just speaking for

some poor downtrodden white, british male who''s having such a hard

time? Go on, be brave and exercise your freedom.  

Women just don''t get football do they!

This is a true story from an Arsenal Season Ticket Holder from last season and highlights the fact that woman just don''t get football.

His season-ticket last year was an absolute plum seat half way up the Highbury main stand close to the half-way line. In other words, a TV camera style view.

Anyway, after the first few games of the season it became apparent that despite all the home games being sell-outs, the two seats on his left were always empty. 

This continued until just after Christmas when all of a sudden a guy and his young son appeared there.

After a few weeks of sitting next to this guy and his son, he decided to ask if the guy knew why the seats had been empty for half the season. 

The response is legendary:

''Yeah don''t even go there mate. The wife bought me and my son a season ticket but decided it would be a nice idea to give them to us for Christmas.

Stop using ''isms as a weapon SPat, it does nothing to help debate and education. By the way I comment Archant and its moderators for allowing such a spectrum of views, if we are honest we learn more from this type of open discussion, whatever our original viewpoint, than we do from being dictatorially educated. People shouldn''t be afraid to air what concerns them how else are those of us who want a more tolerant society going to be able to discuss, understand and hopefully, influence?

[quote user="SPat"]As everyone seems to be in favour of speaking their minds, free speech, not letting the "PC brigade" or anyone else curb their freedoms, etc then why don''t some here  (you know who you are) just admit they are sexist and racist and stop pretending they''re just speaking for some poor downtrodden white, british male who''s having such a hard time? Go on, be brave and exercise your freedom.  
[/quote]

Sadly this is the shallow sort of response the PC brigade use in their defence. Lots of childish taunts without an ounce of substance. You''ve got away with it for years....but the tide is finally on the turn. We''ve slowly had our freedom drained away and had it replaced by fear of offence.......and look where it has got us. Everyone looking over their shoulder just incase they say the ''wrong'' thing.

Dribble away.......because your petty insults only add to the weight of your misguided and weak willed character. I will admit to being an independent thinker with a mind of my own......but this post is both nasty and ignorant...... and a classic product of the PC brigade''s attempt to stifle individuality.

It ain''t gonna work mate.   

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

This is pathetic, the fact is football is a mans game. Fair enough, let women referee and run the line in women''s football, but not in our bloody league. What next, clubs being forced to sign up women to play in the first team? Bloody ridiculous.

Newell is completely right.

[/quote]

I agree Alex.

[/quote]

cityangel..

Are you saying that after working her way up to the top 120 referees in this country and officiating at this level for a considerable period there is no place for Amy Raynor in this league because Luton lost and Newell say''s so??

[quote user="Troy Tempest"]Stop using ''isms as a weapon SPat, it does

nothing to help debate and education. By the way I comment Archant and

its moderators for allowing such a spectrum of views, if we are honest

we learn more from this type of open discussion, whatever our original

viewpoint, than we do from being dictatorially educated. People

shouldn''t be afraid to air what concerns them how else are those of us

who want a more tolerant society going to be able to discuss,

understand and hopefully, influence?[/quote]

Sorry if you see the terms being used as weapons. I agree with the rest

of your post though, I genuinely find it interesting why people won''t

just come clean and admit their real views rather than hiding behind

phrases like "we can''t say anything now cos of the PC brigade" or

"speaking our minds". If people do speak their minds then we get real

debate, which is exactly what has happened from Mike Newall doing so. I

accept that post might be viewed as slightly bullying, if so I

apologise but racists and sexists deserve no quarter.

[quote user="Borat"]

[quote user="SPat"]As everyone seems to be in favour of speaking their minds, free speech, not letting the "PC brigade" or anyone else curb their freedoms, etc then why don''t some here  (you know who you are) just admit they are sexist and racist and stop pretending they''re just speaking for some poor downtrodden white, british male who''s having such a hard time? Go on, be brave and exercise your freedom.  
[/quote]

Sadly this is the shallow sort of response the PC brigade use in their defence. Lots of childish taunts without an ounce of substance. You''ve got away with it for years....but the tide is finally on the turn. We''ve slowly had our freedom drained away and had it replaced by fear of offence.......and look where it has got us. Everyone looking over their shoulder just incase they say the ''wrong'' thing.

Dribble away.......because your petty insults only add to the weight of your misguided and weak willed character. I will admit to being an independent thinker with a mind of my own......but this post is both nasty and ignorant...... and a classic product of the PC brigade''s attempt to stifle individuality.

[/quote]

Those English lessons are clearly paying off Borat...

I''m affraid if someine says you can''t do something simply on the basis of your skin colour, that is racism. If it''s based on your sex, then that''s sexism. It is a prejudice and a generalisation. It''s not hiding behind words. It is using them correctly.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

This is pathetic, the fact is football is a mans game. Fair enough, let women referee and run the line in women''s football, but not in our bloody league. What next, clubs being forced to sign up women to play in the first team? Bloody ridiculous.

[/quote]

I agree Alex.

[/quote]

cityangel..

Are you saying that after working her way up to the top 120 referees in this country and officiating at this level for a considerable period there is no place for Amy Raynor in this league because Luton lost and Newell say''s so??

[/quote]

I think she''s saying she would prefer not to have female officials, nothing else. If that''s her point of view, fair enough. Her opinion is her opinion.

[quote user="Borat"]

[quote user="SPat"]As everyone seems to be in

favour of speaking their minds, free speech, not letting the "PC

brigade" or anyone else curb their freedoms, etc then why don''t some

here  (you know who you are) just admit they are sexist and racist

and stop pretending they''re just speaking for some poor downtrodden

white, british male who''s having such a hard time? Go on, be brave and

exercise your freedom.   [/quote]

Sadly this is the shallow sort of response the PC brigade use in

their defence. Lots of childish taunts without an ounce of

substance. You''ve got away with it for years....but the tide is finally

on the turn. We''ve slowly had our freedom drained away and had it

replaced by fear of offence.......and look where it has got us.

Everyone looking over their shoulder just incase they say the ''wrong''

thing.

Dribble away.......because your petty insults only add to the

weight of your misguided and weak willed character. I will admit

to being an independent thinker with a mind of my own......but this

post is both nasty and ignorant...... and a classic product

of the PC brigade''s attempt to stifle individuality.

[/quote]

Where are the petty insults in my post? Think you''ll find calling me

misguided and weak willed are the only petty insults here. I am in

favour of total freedom of speech, that was the point that you don''t

seem to have grasped. Mike Newall had the balls to admit he was sexist,

I was merely suggesting some might like to join him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

cityangel..

[/quote]

I see that you''ve had no answer about the fact that she officiated Lutons victory last season, NN?

And I don''t think you''ll get a legitimate answer with this question either.

[quote user="Borat"]

shallow sort of response the PC brigade use in their defence. Lots of childish taunts without an ounce of substance. You''ve got away with it for years....but the tide is finally on the turn. We''ve slowly had our freedom drained away and had it replaced by fear of offence.......and look where it has got us. Everyone looking over their shoulder just incase they say the ''wrong'' thing.

[/quote]

Borat, your English has improved. Although, unless you have cunningly disguised your post in sarcasm, you still have the mentailty of a khazakstanian.

I can call someone gay. I can call someone black. I can call someone a woman. It''s not the 70''s anymore!!

I can say that women run slower than men, or that gay men have better style than straight men, or that black people sprint faster than white people.

What I can''t, and what you shouldn''t say, is that women shouldn''t be allowed to do a job even though there is NO reason to say it.

How do all the sexists on here know that the linesMEN we have week in week out know their football??? How do you KNOW for sure that last weeks linesman grew up with the game, could play it to a high standard, and is fully conversant with the nuances of a football match?

You can''t say it for sure, because you don''t know. But you simply assume that because it''s a bloke then he knows his football - well I know plenty of guys who haven''t heard of Didier Drogba and who don''t understand the offside law.

Are you saying they can be linesmen and a women who knows her football can''t??!

All I can see about this debate is "The PC Brigade" (ie the people who are not sexist) stating their case, and the Sexists replying with "Typical PC Brigade stuff" and failing to answer any questions!

[quote user="CluckandBorat."]

[/quote]

What a load of rubbish, how have you had your freedom drained away. You''re still free to come on here and spout what ever rubbish you want. Have the ''PC brigade'' gone running to the mods asking for your posts to be removed to reflect the newly formed sanitised world that you so despise?

Troy and Spat have got it right, people should come on here and give their honest opinions rather than complaining that they can''t because of some imaginary PC lobby.

Just out of interest why is it that anybody who agrees with you has formed their opinion through free and independent thought yet everybody who has an opposite view has been brainwashed by some sinister state controlled ''PC brigade''?

[quote user="Mook"]Borat, your English has improved. Although, unless you have cunningly

disguised your post in sarcasm, you still have the mentailty of a

khazakstanian.[/quote]Steady Mook -- you appear to have made a sweeping generalisation about the Khazak population based on a message board tribute to a comedian''s flawed characterisation!!

[quote user="Mook"]

Borat, your English has improved. Although, unless you have cunningly disguised your post in sarcasm, you still have the mentailty of a khazakstanian.

I can call someone gay. I can call someone black. I can call someone a woman. It''s not the 70''s anymore!!

I can say that women run slower than men, or that gay men have better style than straight men, or that black people sprint faster than white people.

What I can''t, and what you shouldn''t say, is that women shouldn''t be allowed to do a job even though there is NO reason to say it.

How do all the sexists on here know that the linesMEN we have week in week out know their football??? How do you KNOW for sure that last weeks linesman grew up with the game, could play it to a high standard, and is fully conversant with the nuances of a football match?

You can''t say it for sure, because you don''t know. But you simply assume that because it''s a bloke then he knows his football - well I know plenty of guys who haven''t heard of Didier Drogba and who don''t understand the offside law.

Are you saying they can be linesmen and a women who knows her football can''t??!

All I can see about this debate is "The PC Brigade" (ie the people who are not sexist) stating their case, and the Sexists replying with "Typical PC Brigade stuff" and failing to answer any questions!

[/quote]

Don''t worry Mook, blaming the PC brigade is now a nationwide accepted defence for any outdated opinion. I believe there was a supplement in Saturdays Daily Mail detailing situations where it was acceptable to use such a defence!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Don''t worry Mook, blaming the PC brigade is now a nationwide accepted defence for any outdated opinion. I believe there was a supplement in Saturdays Daily Mail detailing situations where it was acceptable to use such a defence!

[/quote]

What terrifies me is that it''s THESE people who are being shepherded around, governed by fear and controlled by propaganda.

Sheded talks about the flag-burners - I''ve never seen one, have you? Not even in the (non right-wing) newspapers.

The people trying to change christmas - who are they? I''ve never seen anyone on the news, or in the papers trying to change christmas, have you? And again, I''m referring to main-stream news, not something the Mail pulled out from nowhere. If it''s 1 in a million, then it''s not worth worrying about!

Paranoia is a useful tool for the newpapers to create. It makes people feel that they will miss out on vital information if they don''t buy that paper.

Look at the USA if you want to see paranoia at large. Same gun laws as Canada, except NOBODY has been shot in 20 years in Canada, and even that was an American!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]

I agree Alex.

[/quote]

cityangel..

[/quote]

And there was me thinking CA was saying that she agreed Newell was completely right.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion which is what this messageboard is about. If I upset you CA then I apologise.

I don''t believe Newell was right in what he said and I have given my reasons. This doesn''t mean that I am a member of the PC Brigade or a Nazi or any of the other things being bandied around on this thread.

[quote user="Troy Tempest"]

More like the stoning in ''Life of Brian''

"Are there any women here?"

[/quote]

I remember Nigel Worthington...

Some were bold enough to call him the Messiah..

"He''s not the Messiah... He''s a very naughty boy!"

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Peter Grant IS the Messiah!!!

I should know, I''ve followed a few ....

[quote user="Mook"]

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Peter Grant IS the Messiah!!!

I should know, I''ve followed a few ....

[/quote]

[<:o)] Good work!!

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"][quote user="Mook"]
[/quote]

Steady Mook -- you appear to have made a sweeping generalisation about the Khazak population based on a message board tribute to a comedian''s flawed characterisation!!

[/quote]

Sorry Vince BTW, that was possibly the most badly disguised and undetectable "ironic xenophobia" ever...

@Jake......beware my son as revenge will surely be mine!...............[:D].......luv it though!

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

What terrifies me is that it''s THESE people who are being shepherded around, governed by fear and controlled by propaganda.

Sheded talks about the flag-burners - I''ve never seen one, have you? Not even in the (non right-wing) newspapers.

The people trying to change christmas - who are they? I''ve never seen anyone on the news, or in the papers trying to change christmas, have you? And again, I''m referring to main-stream news, not something the Mail pulled out from nowhere. If it''s 1 in a million, then it''s not worth worrying about!

Paranoia is a useful tool for the newpapers to create. It makes people feel that they will miss out on vital information if they don''t buy that paper.

Look at the USA if you want to see paranoia at large. Same gun laws as Canada, except NOBODY has been shot in 20 years in Canada, and even that was an American!

[/quote]

What  " terrifies " me as that you can actually  come out with a ridiculous  stat   like there`s been nobody shot in Canada  in the last 20 years ! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

More than 1,000 Canadians die every year from gunshot wounds, most of them by their own hand. In 1996 the total firearm deaths amounted to 1,131, of which 815 were suicides, 45 were accidents and 156 were homicides.

------------------------------------------------------

With your grasp on reality  , I just  feel it`ll be a useless exercise  to point out how many flag burnings are in the news  , the muslims being the chief culprits ! 

And then there`s the regular  examples that keep popping up   ....  like banning Guy Fawkes day  , and replacing it with a bengali folk tale ....    or allowing   the pakistani flag to be flown outside a mosque  , whilst a publican  is asked to take down the  St Georges flag , because the muslims will  be insulted ....   or the Christmas lights in a town centre   being renamed   the celebration lights ......  or the  a council   ordering the nativity scene  to be removed  from outside a house  , because it might offend ... the list goes on and on ,  you get the picture ?   these features are in the news quite regular   ....  what paper do you read , the Mongolian gazette ? 

I read the Daily Mail, and I also think that Phoney Tony Blair - isn''t fit to lace Maggie Thatcher''s bodice.....I hold Conservative views, and I also think that this Labour ''Government'' are a bunch of .........Thomas the Tankers......

I may be an idiot, but I''m not stupid!

Each to there own I say........as long as verbal, physical and mental abuse are not forthcoming. Oops! Is Thomas the Tanker verbal abuse?

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

[/quote]That''s a good one mook, I lived in Canada for four years and I can recall two fatal shootings myself during that time, one was actually by an Englishman. Don''t believe everything you read in a newspaper!

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s a good one mook, I lived in Canada for four years and I can recall two fatal shootings myself during that time, one was actually by an Englishman. Don''t believe everything you read in a newspaper!
[/quote]

Yeah, it was some nonsense in the film "Bowling for Columbine", I think. Obviously there''s been murders in Canada, I was trying to point out the difference between the Americans "Oh My God, here they come" and the Canadians'' more relaxed, less paranoid approach.

And Sheded, you do read the Mail!!

''Guy Fawkes has been banned by council bosses in east London - and replaced with a Bengali folk tale. Tower Hamlets said it wanted to provide an "alternative" theme to celebrate November 5 and the attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament,''

What they fail to mention is that there is still fireworks, and a bonfire, and since Tower Hamlets introduced an annual theme attendances at the event have risen from 3,000 to 23,000.

You would rather a crappy story about Guy Fawkes attempting to BLOW UP the Houses of Parliament - just to remind you, this is a building of enormous British culture and history - than a lovely little Bengali folk tale??

You would rather "our children" got to learn about terrorism than a nice little folk tale about "Moghul Emperor, the Wise Man and the Guardian of the Jungle"?

[quote user="John Boubepo"]That''s a good one mook, I lived in Canada for four years and I can recall two fatal shootings myself during that time, one was actually by an Englishman. Don''t believe everything you read in a newspaper![/quote]True enough, but Canada''s rate is miniscule per head of population vs the USA, despite the large proportion of gun owners.There is something about the USA which makes their citizens more likely to pop a cap in each others ass than pretty much any other nation. Paranoia sounds as good an explanation as any.