Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Newell shots himself in the foot!

Mike Newell faces an FA disrepute charge and the wrath of women’s groups after an astonishing broadside against a lineswoman. The Luton boss was seething that his team had not been awarded a penalty and pointed the finger of blame squarely at lineswoman Amy Rayner for failing to put up her flag.

"It was a bad decision from a linesman who shouldn’t be here," stormed Newell. "I am sexist and I have a problem with all this politically correct rubbish." Newell also launched a ferocious attack on his chairman Bill Tomlins,although it is his intolerant rant against females in football that is set to alert the FA.

He continued: "When do we get to the stage when they’re all women? Then we are in trouble. It’s bad enough with the referees and officials we’ve already got. Girls are allowed to play with boys to a certain age and then they cannot. So what are women doing officiating in Championship matches? We’re not talking parks football here. It’s a token effort for the PC idiots."

Newell, who earlier in the season grabbed the headlines for trying to lift the lid on football’s bung culture,also tore into chairman Tomlins. "I haven’t spoken to the chairman for months," he said.

"This club has gone backwards. He hasn’t made any decisions — he’s contributed nothing. Everything he has done he has messed up. I can’t work with deceit and lies. If people say we’re not going to have money and a new ground then I’ll get on with it. But if they’re going to give me rubbish for two years then I can’t suffer it. I can’t suffer fools — don’t keep promising me there’ll be money. It was easier in administration because I had nothing and 20 players. I don’t really want to speak to him, I’m completely fed up with it."

I have nothing to say expect i''m all for women to be in the game, I would be nice to move on from this male supemerence crap! I''m shocked Newell, Shocked!

Newell is just bitter becasue she didnt give Luton a penalty, I saw the highlights today and it was arguable to say the least... if a male official had given the same decision Newell would of accepted it...

I have a feeling a female official is going to get treated with a lot more respcet by most players and management anyway.

Newell should shut his mouth.. the bung scandal has died down so he needs something else to keep him in the papers. Perhaps he shoulf focus on Luton losing the last 5 and him nearing the sack than whos officiating the game.

jas :)

Tom NCFC you are the most politically correct poster, and annoying to boot.

im all for people saying what they think...

I would love to see a stunner in shorts running the line in front of the Snake Pit. Would certainly make the dull 0-0 draws more interesting!

Maybe we could allow them to wear hot pants and skin tight tops which would be most interesting in the winter months!

Have you seen the Women goalkeepers in the international games? There attempts at saves are most enjoyable!!!

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

Newell, who earlier in the season grabbed the headlines for trying to lift the lid on football’s bung culture,also tore into chairman Tomlins. "I haven’t spoken to the chairman for months," he said.

"This club has gone backwards. He hasn’t made any decisions — he’s contributed nothing. Everything he has done he has messed up. I can’t work with deceit and lies. If people say we’re not going to have money and a new ground then I’ll get on with it. But if they’re going to give me rubbish for two years then I can’t suffer it. I can’t suffer fools — don’t keep promising me there’ll be money. It was easier in administration because I had nothing and 20 players. I don’t really want to speak to him, I’m completely fed up with it."

[/quote]

Ahhh . . . music to my ears. 

[quote user="Steeno"]

[/quote]

I''m annoying, am I! You base your judgement on one post! I have nothing against free speech but my personal opionon is that Newell is wrong! I imagine the FA feel the same way!

Haha, that makes me laugh, the bit about the most politically correct poster, Please find one more post (expect the one''s on Newell) that is politically correct by me!

No wonder some of you are single with your views on woman

[quote user="Tom NCFC"][quote user="Steeno"]

[/quote]

I''m annoying, am I! You base your judgement on one post! I have nothing against free speech but my personal opionon is that Newell is wrong! I imagine the FA feel the same way!

Haha, that makes me laugh, the bit about the most politically correct poster, Please find one more post (expect the one''s on Newell) that is politically correct by me!

No wonder some of you are single with your views on woman

[/quote]

Who this Tom? He like lady boy wear dress.You come Khazakstan and learn be man.My sister very cheap and give you good time or I brother.He do free but I no do.He like lady boy.

High five!

I''m right behind you on this Tom. I can''t see any reason that attempting to conduct youself in a correct manner politically should be seen as a negative quality. And, Steeno, I''m guessing that your proposed total freedom of speech is more acceptable to you when its something you agree with. I imagine I could think of quite a few things that I could post on here that you would think are out of order (unless you are some kind of maniac) - in fact they (hopefully) wouldn''t get past the ''mods''. 

Yup. Newell made himself sound like a right neanderthal with that comment.

I can understand there are some physical reasons in contact sports for men and women not playing each other (although I''ve met a few butch dykes* who could certainly hold their own against even the biggest lads), but can anyone make a logical argument for a qualified woman not officiating sporting events?

Plenty of male officials make bad calls. Some of them even set up Phil Mulryne to score. Shouldn''t they be removed from the game? Of course not, they''re men! And it''s a man''s game, isn''t it?

This reminds me of the situation in golf. There is absolutely no logical reason for sexual segregation in that sport, yet the first woman to play in the PGA had to put up with all sorts of prejudice.

What''s the betting Newell eventually offers an apology which sounds something like this:

"I''d like to make it clear that despite being a sexist, I''ve got nothing against women. I love women. My mother was a woman..."

* their words, not mine.

I can see why some people think politcal correctness is a bad thing. It can be taken too far and stiffle real debate on a contentious subject.However I also feel there is a reason people accuse people of being politically correct, it is entirely because the accusers hold the opposite views. Accusing people is an easy way of defending the basically indefensible. Anybody should be allowed to do any job that they are physically and mentally able to do, and thats all there is to it.

Borat, there''s no chance of you ever being Politically correct, oh and your sister, sorry mate i''m not that desperate. I''ve got a girl who i''ve been with for a long time.

Borat, get a life! The only lady boy on here is probably you!

Mike Newell is probably the most honest guy in football, if you can forget your political correctness for a sec and listen to what he says, you would realise he''s very truthful. I''d love Britain to have a Prime Minister with the same honesty and courage to say what we all know is right!

[quote user="Steeno"]

[/quote]So what''s your problem?Newell did say what he thinks, and I would suggest most people see it for what it is - sour grapes and a desire to see his name in the headlines - neither admirable qualities in a manager.Personally I see no problem in female officials. If they''re good enough, that''s all that matters.Maybe she did have a bad call, not seen the game, but like all officials if she has enough howlers she''ll be dropped down a division or two.Hence why we had to suffer Dermot Gallacher and Mike Riley in consecutive home games.Newell should shut up and count himself lucky...Amy Rayner may have got one decision wrong, the former two clowns got an entire game wrong!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Mike Newell is probably the most honest guy in football, if you can forget your political correctness for a sec and listen to what he says, you would realise he''s very truthful.[/quote]Nope, read it again and it still looks like b*ll*cks.

disagree John, Mike Newell uses the media to distract from the issue of Lutons poor form.. the bung scandal came out when Luton were getting tonked every week, Luton have lost their last 5 games and he comes out with the sexist comment...

Watch During lutons next run of form and he will come out and say somethign else...

the sooner he gets found out as a poor manager and gets sacked the better

jas :)

As a parent of 3 adult daughters, and having spent a career working with a significant proportion of females and female managers many of whom had far more work ethic and drive than their male counterparts, and as a fan who witnesses the many knowledgeable female members of the crowd at our matches these comments are shameful, thank heavens we didn''t appoint this dinosaur as our manager - these comments rival those of Freddie Shepherds "Geordie women are dogs" and Ron Atkinsons "lazy f***ng n*****" and I hope he well and truly gets his come uppence. 

If you can think of nothing better to balame defeat on than the sex of the referees  assistants then what does that say about you?

Sorry guys I just cannot see the funny side of this one - be interested to know what the Luton fans think about it all.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="John Boubepo"]Mike Newell is probably the most honest guy in football, if you can forget your political correctness for a sec and listen to what he says, you would realise he''s very truthful.[/quote]Nope, read it again and it still looks like b*ll*cks.[/quote]Yep it does doesn''t it, looks like the Dog''s B*ll*cks to me, well done Mike Newell.The reason women have smaller feet Herb, is so they can stand closer to the kitchen sink, not run a line for 90 mins trying to keep up with professional male athletes .

JB,

You seem to be making the common mistake of assuming that your opinion is the truth, and 7Drew I am not suggesting that people shouldn''t be able to speak their mind, its just that opposing the idea of being politically correct on principle is a facile starting point for any discussion and can often just represent a blatant disregard for other peoples feelings. For example, is it okay for me to point out how hilarious it is that you have objected to debate being ''stiffled'' rather than ''stifled''. No, of course it isn''t, it makes me look like a crass, brash conceited idiot because it shows a blatant disregard for how you might feel. I don''t think it is hilarious by the way but this is a good example of the need to consider other peoples'' positions when debating in a civil society. Its just common decency!    

JB will presumably soon be going to Afghanistan to help his Taliban brothers in their noble struggle.Their laws and rules seem to suit his stone age philosophy perfectly.

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]

I would love to see a stunner in shorts running the line in front of the Snake Pit. Would certainly make the dull 0-0 draws more interesting!

Maybe we could allow them to wear hot pants and skin tight tops which would be most interesting in the winter months!

Have you seen the Women goalkeepers in the international games? There attempts at saves are most enjoyable!!!

[/quote]

yes, i agree, at the risk of being called sexist the only way i want to see a female ref is in hot pants and skin tight tops too.

As for female keepers, they do make me chuckle, I don''t think they are built to play in goal! political incorrectness or physiological fact?

My God.......is this what we have come to in this country now? Squeaky clean politically correct do gooders rounding on someone who has an independent view? What''s the matter with you all?

Has anyone said women are not intelligent beings or that they should be kept down? No they haven''t. Has someone been brave enough to speak his mind in public? Yes.

This board is probably the most PC place I have encountered for a long time. Mention overseas players and we become xenophobic. Mention being proud to be English and we become racist. Now if we state a ''preference'' for male officials officiating during a male sport we are sexist at best....or allied to the Taliban at worst.

Go anywhere else in the world....(and I do regularly)....people have a balance in society and natural evolution of role dictates lifestyle. In the UK we are being told what to think and how to think........and the result of this PC ''brainwashing'' is all too evident on here. Don''t you have a mind of your own? Can you not celebrate difference rather than deny it? Black is black and white is white. They are equal in all things....but why deny difference? Is it your own fear of not being exactly the same as everyone else?

In a typically dismissive manner the PC brigade are now having a pop at Newell stating that he is only concerned with self image and trying to deflect the tension regarding his position at Luton. Grow up please. He has done wonders at a highly unfashionable club and brought some fresh air into the corrupt world of football. I can''t believe that being critical of gender in any circumstances is now so ridiculously taboo.

It''s no wonder that we are seeing the rise of the viscious BNP and terrorist factions in Britain. No one dare say anything as they see it anymore.....and when it all hits the fan.....as it surely will......you needn''t be surprised....because YOU let it get like that.

[quote user="cluckaduckadingbat"]

Now if we state a ''preference'' for male officials officiating during a male sport we are sexist at best....or allied to the Taliban at worst.[/quote]

Read what I actually replied to, then think again. I think JB did a little more than state a preference.As for the rest of your nonsense about the BNP (where the hell did that come from?) it doesn''t even deserve a response.Personally I''d like to see all BNP members locked up for 25 years hard labour, or get them to do a rally in Brixton - see how brave they are then.Thugs the lot of ''em, the only language they understand is delivered by baseball bat.

This board is probably the most PC place I have encountered for a long time. Mention overseas players and we become xenophobic. Mention being proud to be English and we become racist. Now if we state a ''preference'' for male officials officiating during a male sport we are sexist at best....or allied to the Taliban at worst.

[/quote]

Please, please give it a rest. The people who disagreed with you on the thread about Arsenal were arguing about the assumption that overseas players were the cause of high wages in this country and the erosion of our ''honest'' style of play. When this happened you failed to stick up for your point of view and instead resorted to hiding behind you ''political correctness gone mad'' blanket.

Now on this thread you are praising Mike Newell for being brave enough to speak his mind in public, but anyone who disagrees with the view that a woman who has passed exactly the same exams as a man should not be able to officiate at Championship level is derided as a PC sheep without a mind of their own.

I assume the last paragraph of your post refers to freedom of speech and I actually agree with you that we should be worried about the erosion of this right. But if you honestly believe that the BNP will gain power because of the dangers of political correctness I think you''re mistaken, people tend to get the governments they deserve in the long run!

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="cluckaduckadingbat"]

Now if we state a ''preference'' for male officials officiating during a male sport we are sexist at best....or allied to the Taliban at worst.

[/quote]

Read what I actually replied to, then think again. I think JB did a little more than state a preference.
As for the rest of your nonsense about the BNP (where the hell did that come from?) it doesn''t even deserve a response.
Personally I''d like to see all BNP members locked up for 25 years hard labour, or get them to do a rally in Brixton - see how brave they are then.
Thugs the lot of ''em, the only language they understand is delivered by baseball bat.
[/quote]

It all part of the mix and as the mainstream take their eye off the ball....the thugs move in. Reply cynically by all means.....but your solution says it all about where we are heading....and why.

[quote user="cluckaduckadingbat"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="cluckaduckadingbat"]

Now if we state a ''preference'' for male officials officiating during a male sport we are sexist at best....or allied to the Taliban at worst.

[/quote]

Read what I actually replied to, then think again. I think JB did a little more than state a preference.
As for the rest of your nonsense about the BNP (where the hell did that come from?) it doesn''t even deserve a response.
Personally I''d like to see all BNP members locked up for 25 years hard labour, or get them to do a rally in Brixton - see how brave they are then.
Thugs the lot of ''em, the only language they understand is delivered by baseball bat.
[/quote]

It all part of the mix and as the mainstream take their eye off the ball....the thugs move in. Reply cynically by all means.....but your solution says it all about where we are heading....and why.

[/quote]

Ahhhhh.

Poor little Cluckaduck doesn''t like it when "Freedom of Speech" (ie saying what the hell you like) gets stopped by all these balanced, modern sensitive viewpoints.

Brilliant quote from a posting on Football365 website:

"Basically, Newell is symptomatic of the anti-PC brigade, who use a genuine problem within British society today - that of conventions of what can acceptably be said and thought hindering invaluable debate on important topics - to legitimise their own bigoted ideas. He is typical of an era in which the press use even minor stories as an excuse for axe-grinding, in which it is OK to say derogatory things about people of a different race/religion/gender to us because we are only exercising our right to freedom of speech, as if this right did not come with a degree of responsibility as well."

Reply cynically by all means.....but your solution says it all about where we are heading....and why.

[/quote]Ever tried discussing such issues civily with a BNP supporter?If you had, you''d know why I said what I said.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="cluckaduckadingbat"]

Now if we state a ''preference'' for male officials officiating during a male sport we are sexist at best....or allied to the Taliban at worst.[/quote]

Read what I actually replied to, then think again. I think JB did a little more than state a preference.As for the rest of your nonsense about the BNP (where the hell did that come from?) it doesn''t even deserve a response.Personally I''d like to see all BNP members locked up for 25 years hard labour, or get them to do a rally in Brixton - see how brave they are then.Thugs the lot of ''em, the only language they understand is delivered by baseball bat.[/quote]A man who contradicts himself more than 5 times in one sentence lacks a certain amount of credibility Herb, as for me being a member of the Taliban because I make a joke that women have smaller feet so they can stand closer to the sink!! - I think you take life as well as political correctness a teeny weeny bit too seriously

Newell has apologised for his " sexist " remark ,    which , after all, was done in the heat of the moment .....

It seems to have gone over  most of the posters heads that Newell   DID expose  the corruption  rife in  English football  !   which  the FA  closed ranks  , and  uttered platitudes  that meant that they would do all in their power  to prevent the truth coming out ......    remember  the recent tv expose` of bungs  , with managers and agents   doing  " deals "   ?  yet another  cover up and deep silence from the FA  !! 

You can bet your arse that the FA hate Newell`s gut !  and will  " get  " him  for some rigged up excuse .....

Instead of   squeaking  pitifully   about what should be " done " to Newell   in the name of, " political correctness "   , just recognise  that he IS a honest man   !    and the hypocrites  that are now  screaming for his knackers on a plate,  were , not so long ago , wanting Newell  to replace Nigel ..... [:@]

As for women refs   ,  mixed feelings !  its bad enough  that the hairy prats  surround  a male ref , mouthing off and pushing him around ,  do we want to see a woman  get this treatment ?