Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

Is the board going to provide funds?????

Has anyone from the board come out and made Norwich fans feel a little optimistic by revealing the transfer budget for the new year????????

Are the board going to see how grant does with his Worthless squad that he has got from the worthless one or is he going to get money . I feel that it is the duty of the board to let the fans know, as it would stop all these silly rumours.

I think you have to face it that the only person on the Board with any money is Delia so its no good saying "Is the Board going to provide money?". My gut feeling is that Delia does not have much either as since her TV appearances dried up her only source of income is the royalties from her books and investment income. There are so many cook books on the market now that the royalties must be in decline.

Carrow Rd needs a rethink if there are no more millionaire supporters to come to its aid. There needs to be some cost cutting on the administrative side. Far more use needs to be made of "free" contributions from shareholders and members. Better use needs to be made of the training ground and its expertise to benefit the use of the general public. An attempt to sell Carrow overseas and tap world wide finance needs to be made.

After 5 or 6 years in charge the members of the Board are tired. Those drawing a wage need to retire and give new blood a chance. Those owning the majority of the shares need to think of selling them to the other shareholders to make the club more democratic..

[quote user="Bobert"]

I think you have to face it that the only person on the Board with any money is Delia so its no good saying "Is the Board going to provide money?". My gut feeling is that Delia does not have much either as since her TV appearances dried up her only source of income is the royalties from her books and investment income. There are so many cook books on the market now that the royalties must be in decline.

Carrow Rd needs a rethink if there are no more millionaire supporters to come to its aid. There needs to be some cost cutting on the administrative side. Far more use needs to be made of "free" contributions from shareholders and members. Better use needs to be made of the training ground and its expertise to benefit the use of the general public. An attempt to sell Carrow overseas and tap world wide finance needs to be made.

After 5 or 6 years in charge the members of the Board are tired. Those drawing a wage need to retire and give new blood a chance. Those owning the majority of the shares need to think of selling them to the other shareholders to make the club more democratic..

[/quote]

Think your assumption  is incorrect Bobart !

http://www.hub-uk.com/chefsbios/delia-smith.htm

Delia`s success  is due to  her recognising  the gap in the  catering  market  , and that was  this , previously  untouched  , area , where all the arty farty cook books   where aimed at  people who COULD cook !    ignoring  the fact that most of us couldn`t boil water ......  as you can see from the link ,  there`s no indication  that profits from her books  are " drying up "  !

There`s a definate Delia bashing faction in this forum  , so maybe its time  for Delia   to have a press conference  , just to clear the air  about  what profits her restaurants making  , and how much is  coming into the club .

I know a lot of fans are wanting to know what funds are available  for transfers ,  but the problem with this  is that the club would be tipping off   all the agents  [ floggings too good for them  ]   ,  NOT a good idea !!  

As for  getting rid of Delia ,  and touting  for money  from the zillionares out there  ...

Do we REALLY  want  some russian   mafia   crook  ,  crazy Mandaric ,   the Glazer bro`s [ my God , those kissers   are made for halloween ! ]   who would  asset strip  like there`s no tomorrow ,  and who wouldn`t give a ratsass  about fans   opinions  .........  the grass aint always greener  .....

If you wanted to buy my house would you tell me how much money you had available before making an offer? Of course you wouldn''t. If the club were to release details of the transfer budget then we would get fleeced.

Look at the inflated prices Chelsea have had to pay for players due to the fact that everyone knows that money is no object.

Very well put, Sheded, although I wouldn''t mind a Mandaric myself, he seems to know his onions, and learnt his lesson on the whole "director of football" thing, as have most clubs in this country who''ve tried it.My beef with Delia at the moment is that we''re not being told where the money from promotion, etc, went.  Doomcaster said this summer that since getting promoted, we''re only £500k richer - how? We sold one player for a £3m (approx, before the number crunchers get on my back) profit, another two for about £2m and have only bought two players in since at a grand sum of £3.5m.  Given that we''ve always been told that money from transfers will be made available from transfers, where the dickens has it gone?A statement from the club explaining everything and letting us know (roughly) what''s in the kitty would be nice...Unless this is all a ploy to put off those nasty agents from screwing us over by making them think we have less money than we do...Incidentally, does anyone know if David Cotterill has played a game for Wigan yet??

Superb work sheded - I remember there were quite a few who wanted to welcome di Stefano with open arms. His record North of the border makes me tremble at how close we came - that Romanov at Hearts is another - fancy a new B&Q at Carrow Road anyone?

Why would anyone want to reveal the transfer budget, then teams know how much we have to spend?It was mentioned during Grants appointment that he will have funds to spend in January.

So......the only alternative out there to Delia Smith is some psychopathic Russian or billionaire mafioso money launderer?

Also...I really am worried that we should even be discussing the merits of cooking at all on this site......but that is now inextricably linked with Norwich City Football Club. DS has become Norwich City...

As for the Delia bashing.....come on. Up comes the old defence mechanism as soon as Delia is under fire. If you honestly believe that Delia Smith is going to take this club to the limits of it''s potential, I give up.....

[quote user="cluckadoodledoo"]So......the only alternative out there to Delia Smith is some psychopathic Russian or billionaire mafioso money launderer?[/quote]

The reason why people bring up Romanov, di Stefano, (or for the moderates Glazer, Mandaric, Abramovic, and Learner) is because these are the types of people who have the money to do it.  You need to be on the Times Rich List to consider football ownership as a hobby these days.  How many rich Norwich supporters can you name ?   The kind of people who could put 5 or 10 million into a hole with no likelihood of a return on their money.  How many of them would be willing to take the grief that most football chairmen receive when things are going badly ?  As I think Evil Monkey mentioned last week in a different thread - Noel Gallagher wouldn''t put money into Man City because he''s just a supporter, he wouldn''t want his windows bricked in when they lost.

As for viable alternatives to Smith and Jones -

• Is there a committee or consortium of businessmen willing to do what Smith and Jones have done for the club ? 
  • Would they pump millions of their own money in loans in, and then waive repayments ?  
  • Is NCFC the company in the financial dire-straits that would enable any consortium to buy Smith & Jones out cheaply ? 
  • Are Smith & Jones looking to cut and run ?  

I believe that the answer to these questions is no. Which means that norwich fans have to accept that the board members are unlikely to change, as NCFC is a company not a democracy, the only likely change would come from a hostile takeover. 

We have to be patient, both with the new manager and those who hold the purse-strings.  Smith and Jones at NCFC are no more guaranteed success than David Gold at Birmingham, Ken Bates at Leeds or Jordan at Palace.

[quote]As for the Delia bashing.....come on. Up comes the old defence mechanism as soon as Delia is under fire. If you honestly believe that Delia Smith is going to take this club to the limits of it''s potential, I give up.....[/quote]

There would be no need for a defence mechanism if you did not employ an attack mechanism.  Until you can offer a viable alternative, why attempt to alienate supporters from the board ?

This is a very good post blah and I agree with all of it.

There''s a blame culture on this board and now the manager is gone we look for someone else to attack when things go wrong. Now I''m not suggesting that everything is perfect at Norwich City Football Club and nor am I suggesting that we couldn''t do some things better. What I am suggesting is that Delia and Michael are the best option we have at the moment, or maybe even the only option. I also believe that they are respected by the majority of our fans and the majority of people within the game itself. There is no guarantee that by going down a different road the club would be more successful and to be fair we are no worse off than a lot of clubs of a similar size with similar ambitions to our own.

Maybe we should wait until the end of January and see how things stand. If by then Peter Grant has been continually baulked in attempts to improve our squad by the boards restraints then I may change my mind. Whereas if he can''t get the players in that he needs for other reasons then I would guess it would be the same story whoever was in charge of the purse strings.