Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Could Safri be on his way??

Anybody else get the impression Yousseff could be on his way in January?

He just hasn''t looked the same player this season.  In fact he looks totally disinterested, he just isn''t at the races anymore.  It would be a real shame as when he is on form he is a quality player.

I think he could be on his way. I agree when he''s on form he is a quality player but those on form days are becoming less frequent. He is a good player and I would have loved to see him playing for us when the team is full of confidence and playing well more often. Trouble is he is not a "leader on the pitch" when the chips are down. He is a good player at the base of a diamond midfield but I don''t like that system with the other players we have.

I agree he could be on his way, just isn''t the player that we know he could be anymore.

Lets hope we get a couple of new midfielders in, strong , aggressive, good distributers of the ball and leadership material, or is that too much too ask?

On his day, Safri is match for anyone, but with his enforced absences for religious reasons (despite his protestations, your not going to be able to play with no energy), constant injuries and the african nations cup I just dont think he''s worth keeping.

I pretty much challenge any of the team to maintain top form after all of the upheavals at the club. I think he should go and we should take any money we can get for him......not because he is''nt good enough on his day, but because he is viewed as one of our ''core'' of decent players....and they should always be consistent.

Decent midfielders are more easily found than strikers happily....although I fear Earnie will be on his way too. Grant likes a different sort of player to Earnshaw, who is my view misses too many chances despite his current tally. PG won''t appreciate that in him..................

For all his ability, I would not be sad to see Safri leave come January.  On his day he is more than good enough for the Premiership, as he proved while playing there.  He can tackle, pass and good awareness but despite this I have always felt he can be a liablility.  You can almost be sure that as soon as Safri finds some good form this sean he will get injured for at least a month.  You just can''t rely on him being him fit for long enough. 

Safri is too injury prone, plus he has his religious difficulties. Unfortunately another journeyman signed by Worthington. Yes I would certainly let him go.

As regards Ernie he his quick and has scored a reasonable amount of goals. In my opinion my main striker has to be big and put himself about. Croft and Huckerby - who has lost a bit of pace - are good wingmen by Championship standards. When it comes to crossing you can see time and time again they are unable to pick anyone out because of lack of height in the penalty box. So the balance of the current strike force is not right - hence lack of goals from frontmen. Unless Ernie receives a certain type of service i.e. balls behind defence to run on to, he can be anonymous for long periods. At least when Dublin came on against Colchester he did at least get into the game despite many poor quality high balls being pumped out from the defence.

So yes let Saffri go and invest in a big "centre forward"

At his best Safri is a tigerish sort of player- harrying and hassling and breaking up the opposition''s play. However he is too patchy for us and looking more like a hamster than a tiger right now. Maybe he''s another Mulryne- great promise but form just not there regularly enough. Mind you whatever happens I will never forget his screamer against the Toon!

I should imagine he is one of the high earners at the club aswell. We could probably get 2 young, up and coming midfielders from the lower leagues for his wage.

I dare say this will be dismissed at "political correctness gone mad" but ''enforced absences for religious reasons'' and ''religious difficulties'', am I the only one who finds this sort of rubbish unpleasant.

I dare say you are referring to Ramadan, which I would imagine is something Safri has observed for the whole of his career. If it had caused that much of a problem then surely Norwich would have never signed him.

Safri''s biggest problem is that he is a defensive midfielder who is struggling in our current system due to the whole of the midfield sitting deep, thus greating congestion in the midfield, and there being a distinct lack of movement up front.

If you think he should be moved on because you don''t rate him that''s your opinion, but please dont bring his religion into it, that, it appears, is only a problem to you!

As I have posted previously, Safri is the most overated player at the club and should be sold in January to whoever is prepared to take him. He is playing like a man who has been told he only has months to live. He just doesn''t seem interested.

Tuesday night just underlined how poor the overall midfield is. Safri and Robinson need to be shipped out and replaced with quality [and players who actually eat in daylight hours] because if not, we will be sucked into a relegation battle towards the end of the season.

[quote user="komakino"]Safri and Robinson need to be shipped out and replaced with quality [and players who actually eat in daylight hours] because if not, we will be sucked into a relegation battle towards the end of the season.[/quote]

Great, another one. Presumably no Muslim will ever achieve anything in the world of sport......during Ramadan they''re just tooooooo weeeeaaak.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="komakino"]Safri and Robinson need to be shipped out and replaced with quality [and players who actually eat in daylight hours] because if not, we will be sucked into a relegation battle towards the end of the season.[/quote]

Great, another one. Presumably no Muslim will ever achieve anything in the world of sport......during Ramadan they''re just tooooooo weeeeaaak.

[/quote]

Lol.. agreed shack.. for those who think Ramadan affects sport... 2 words.. Muhammed Ali.

thats knocked that well and truly on the head

jas :)

This thread is insane. Why on earth are you all wishing that one of the few players of genuine ability would leave our club? We have a wafer thin squad as it is, requiring large scale additions in January just to make us a competitive outfit. Yet you would voluntarily remove our only real playmaker from the club? Utter madness.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]This thread is insane. Why on earth are you all wishing that one of the few players of genuine ability would leave our club?

We have a wafer thin squad as it is, requiring large scale additions in January just to make us a competitive outfit. Yet you would voluntarily remove our only real playmaker from the club? Utter madness.[/quote]

See above, something to do with religious problems apparently.

PG has a big problem IMO in that all though he may not rate certain players he can''t just discard them due how thin our squad is. The next couple of months should be very interesting as PG decides who he wants to keep and who should go. I''m sure I''m not alone in fearing this could get a lot worse before it gets better.

Anyway, Safri should definately be one of those we are looking to keep, whether he wants to stay or not is of course an entirely different matter!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Lol.. agreed shack.. for those who think Ramadan affects sport... 2 words.. Muhammed Ali.

thats knocked that well and truly on the head

jas :)

[/quote]Doesnt matter what we think, Worthington felt he wouldnt be up for it so didnt play him over that period, although i think he may have been injured for some it. But aside from that i think the comparison isnt really fair, a boxer vs a footballer...one sustained effort compared to a sustained effort over a sustained period of time (training, matches etc).Oh and whoever mentioned it, yes flagging the above would be pc gone mad.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]See above, something to do with religious problems apparently.[/quote]Thats not the case at all, dont twist words for your own end, I have the opinion that not eating (enforced by his religion) will affect your performance.. end of story.

[quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]
See above, something to do with religious problems apparently.
[/quote]

Thats not the case at all, dont twist words for your own end, I have the opinion that not eating (enforced by his religion) will affect your performance.. end of story.
[/quote]

Don''t worry about it Kid.......seems like you can''t say anything logical these days without it being rammed back up your backside if it doesn''t suit.........

Apparently I''m anti-American and xenophobic.......''God'' only knows what I''m going to do now............or is that being blasphemical too?

[quote user="KidCanary"]Thats not the case at all, dont twist words for your own end, I have the opinion that not eating (enforced by his religion) will affect your performance.. end of story.[/quote]Read up a little, so your opinion is informed.Fasting is from sunrise to sunset.Now I know some us might find the thought of going without food for 12 hours or more a little daunting, but it''s actually not a particularly big deal, particularly with the diet and nutrition of a modern day professional.

I will be so upset if he goes he IS our best midfielder - maybe his form isnt the best atm - but the fact is saf is defo the type of player pg should want to keep as he is not afraid to try to play ambitious passes sometimes these dont work but he always tries.Form comes and goes but class is with you for life. Saf has class.

Jas,

Question for you....Did Ali actually win a title fight during Ramadan?

Shack may not be right, but its not illogical or incorrect to think that one''s performance would be impaired by dehydration, and if so, undermines the team.

Meanwhile, what''s Robinson''s and Hughes'' excuse for their performances.... I doubt it''s got anything to do with religion/superstition.

Let''s face it we have only one decent midfielder at the club - Etuhu - when he can be bothered.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="KidCanary"]
Thats not the case at all, dont twist words for your own end, I have the opinion that not eating (enforced by his religion) will affect your performance.. end of story.
[/quote]

Read up a little, so your opinion is informed.
Fasting is from sunrise to sunset.
Now I know some us might find the thought of going without food for 12 hours or more a little daunting, but it''s actually not a particularly big deal, particularly with the diet and nutrition of a modern day professional.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree, it''s really not that big a deal. As I said, if it was no muslim would ever make it in any sport.

Kid Canary, I''m not twisting words for my own end. It''s just that I''ve seen this mentioned in many discussions regarding Safri and I think that too many people are keen to say what a problem it is without knowing the facts.